• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
While I'm around and this thread is active, what is the best track/car combo for the high speed achivement?

Here's how I did it.

Step 1: Select free play mode
Step 2: Select Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
Step 3: Select the high speed test ring
Step 4: Hammer down
Step 5: something
Step 6: Profit!

Seanspeed

Banned
If I don't have a fancy wheel, is just a regular controller a lot of fun too?

Oh yea. I haven't used a wheel since Forza 2 and I have no problems using the controller. The controls feel great on it and definitely have the whole 'easy to pick up, hard to master' thing going on. The triggers are great for being able to modulate the throttle and brake. And you can go all out and operate the clutch with a button and manually shift gears with two other buttons perfectly comfortably if you wanted to, so you wont be losing any functionality compared with a nice wheel setup either.

And for further proof that using a controller is just fine - the very tippy top, inhumanly quick Forza guys are a combination of wheel and controller users, so you're not gonna be at any competitive disadvantage, either.

guest1321

Oh yea. I haven't used a wheel since Forza 2 and I have no problems using the controller. The controls feel great on it and definitely have the whole 'easy to pick up, hard to master' thing going on. The triggers are great for being able to modulate the throttle and brake. And you can go all out and operate the clutch with a button and manually shift gears with two other buttons perfectly comfortably if you wanted to, so you wont be losing any functionality compared with a nice wheel setup either.

And for further proof that using a controller is just fine - the very tippy top, inhumanly quick Forza guys are a combination of wheel and controller users, so you're not gonna be at any competitive disadvantage, either.

I'd like to second this. I am huge fan of the Speed Wheel and that is my go to, but any time I use the controller I feel as quick as I was with the SW. The time it takes to get comfortable with the controller is so minimal that it makes it frustrating for me to jump back into other games and not get the controls down as quickly.

I'm pretty sure a majority of the regular posters here are using a controller anyways. So as Seanspeed said, you are really at no disadvantage.

SarBear.jpg

This Sunday, January 22nd,the Second Season of the SarBear Memorial Weekend Racing League shall start! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (do your conversions!) for close racing, too much swearing and people forgetting when to brake at random corners! This is the inagural race of Season 2, so be sure to show up to claim your spot!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • You don't HAVE to do all three events, but it's up to you to keep us informed of what you want to participate in.

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

OFFICIAL EVENT TYPES (2):

Dirty Racing in the Dirty South - Road Atlanta can be a harsh mistress, especially that last turn. Test your wits against your oppenents while fighting the 100+ degree track temps. Who will be the first to cross the finish line? Who will be the first to pass out? And who will be the first to end up in the sand traps?

Track
  • Road Atlanta (Full Circuit) - 20 Laps
Restrictions
  • 2010 Renault Megane RS 250
  • Class - B500
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Suspension
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Roll Cage
  • NO aero
  • Must keep FWD
  • Must have Race Number

The Oldest Rivalry - Get ready for the THUNDA DOWN UNDA!!! You heard me right, people have died for less than this rivaly stands for. Holden vs Ford, who will dominate this V8 Supercar championship??
Track
  • Infineon Raceway (Long Course) - 20 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - R3
  • Car Type - V8 Supercar
  • Holden or Ford
  • Stock
  • Feel free to use different liveries

PRIZES

The normal unicorns and/or prizes from the GAF Club coffers.

BONUS!:

Make a donation by auction today! :) We need your support!

Players (Megane Number):
Shortt Sirket (25)
Granholme (27)
LiquidSnake (need #)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Rotavelle (12)
op_ivy (need #)

Reserve:
Archer33 (1)
Zorbsie (31)
Big Takeover (77)
Sarbear (3)
Ox Nagge (33)
Seanspeed (21)
retroBrand (17)
Soundscream (13)
Templar Wizard (5)
P3Tran
Muerte X (8)
MJLord (93)
GrassyX
The Japanator
The Stig (00)
cjelly (28)
flyinpiranha
Guest 1321 (18)
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
Sneaky77
Mr Nightman (88)
Union 0015 (15)

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If you have a pitiful number of posts, you will be put on reserve until day before racing begins.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

The Oldest Rivalry - Get ready for the THUNDA DOWN UNDA!!! You heard me right, people have died for less than this rivaly stands for. Holden vs Ford, who will dominate this V8 Supercar championship??
Track
  • Infineon Raceway (Long Course) - 20 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - R3800
  • Car Type - V8 Supercar
  • Holden or Ford
  • Feel free to use different liveries

Why not run the V8 Supercars with no upgrades?

Also, I'm in.

sneaky77

I may be able to make it this weekend and suck it up as usual. Put me as a reserve for now, depends on a couple of things on my schedule

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm in too.

also, to chime in on the pad discussion, i think you can definitely post competitive times with a pad (as there is definitely "assists" to help out) but personally, i don't find it anywhere near as fun as a wheel. if you absolutely cant get a wheel, then fm4 is still a fun game, but i couldnt imagine putting in fraction of the time i've done if i only had a pad. it just doesnt give you the same feedback and connection.

gragy10

Anyone have any Megane tuning tips? Last weekends warm up at Sebring was borderline embarrassing in terms of speed differential between me and the rest of the field..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Now that I have the Ferrari Collector and Exquisite taste achievements all thanks to GAF..

..what to do with these 4 million credits sitting here I've been saving up? I bought a Saturn Sky that I plan to tune up (fuck da haters) but I've got to make a short list now of what I want to do with the money. Is there some way I can give back to GAF?

Now that I have the Ferrari Collector and Exquisite taste achievements all thanks to GAF..

..what to do with these 4 million credits sitting here I've been saving up? I bought a Saturn Sky that I plan to tune up (fuck da haters) but I've got to make a short list now of what I want to do with the money. Is there some way I can give back to GAF?

Host a contest! Like Guess the Car or something...

op_ivy

honestly, just hang onto it. money doesnt flow once you hit driver level 150, and you may need it for some expensive rides if you want to play some career events (i just spent 2.5 mill on a acura R1 prototype and another 2.5 on an audi R1 prototype the other night!)

guest1321

Don't even worry about it man. That money comes slowly so definitely hold onto it.

Thank you everyone for participating in the gifting and making it run so smoothly! Really glad that worked out so well and we were able to get everyone involved.

A few loose ends:

Snack still needs to gift the Enzo back to op_ivy and the 330 p4 back to me once the gift has been reneged at sent back to him

user_nat i have accepted the friend request so you may send the cars whenever you are ready.

Thanks again everyone!

op_ivy

Don't even worry about it man. That money comes slowly so definitely hold onto it.

Thank you everyone for participating in the gifting and making it run so smoothly! Really glad that worked out so well and we were able to get everyone involved.

A few loose ends:

Snack still needs to gift the Enzo back to op_ivy and the 330 p4 back to me once the gift has been reneged at sent back to him

user_nat i have accepted the friend request so you may send the cars whenever you are ready.

Thanks again everyone!

i havent updated the googledoc, but i received (i think) all my cars back , aside from the aforementioned enzo, today. now onto removing that hideous paint! :p

shortt sirket said:
Players (Megane Number):
Shortt Sirket (25)
Granholme (27)
LiquidSnake (need #)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Rotavelle (12)
op_ivy (need #)
also, shortt, not sure why my number keeps getting dropped from the league spec races - probably cause i only show up to a few here and there, but my most recent number was 10.

I just got the Bucket List achievement, but I still have something like 22 races left. I thought this achievement was just like the Solid Gold one for Forza 3, or is there something I'm missing?

skyfinch

Are you attempting to get all the achievements? If you are, there a few cars you will have to buy in order to finish the event listing, cars that are specific to certain events.

guest1321

I just got the Bucket List achievement, but I still have something like 22 races left. I thought this achievement was just like the Solid Gold one for Forza 3, or is there something I'm missing?

I recall someone saying that the same thing happened to them about a month and a half after the game came out. They were up to 98.8% or something around there and then they got it. I guess the game just wants to award you a little early. Or it failed to provide a medal in the event list for something that you may have already completed in WT.

Either way though, Congratulations! Are you still going to keep playing?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you attempting to get all the achievements? If you are, there a few cars you will have to buy in order to finish the event listing, cars that are specific to certain events.
Eventually, yeah. Like manufacturer cups and stuff, but there aren't that many expensive series' of those kind are there? Does it really come out to that much? I'm one of those OCD guys who only buys stuff when they *have* to in RPGs and whatnot.

But some of these cars look too sexy to resist. Dat 599XX D:

I appreciate the help from GAF a lot, so next time y'all need help with anything, let me know. Even though I don't participate in the races you guys have (cause my schedule is far too erratic), let a brother know if he can help out anywhere, like donating money or cars or something.

skyfinch

Eventually, yeah. Like manufacturer cups and stuff, but there aren't that many expensive series' of those kind are there? Does it really come out to that much? I'm one of those OCD guys who only buys stuff when they *have* to in RPGs and whatnot.

But some of these cars look too sexy to resist. Dat 599XX D:

I appreciate the help from GAF a lot, so next time y'all need help with anything, let me know. Even though I don't participate in the races you guys have (cause my schedule is far too erratic), let a brother know if he can help out anywhere, like donating money or cars or something.

It's been a while since I bought all the cars needed to complete the event listing, so I don't remember exactly. But there were quite a few cars you will need to buy. Many are cars that you will probably never drive again, like a car with station wagon body, or hybrid car.

Save some money just in case.

I can't believe some of you already have the event list completed. I'm maybe 7% down with career. Do you actually run the races yourself or do you hire a driver?

Took me basically a year (and a year of being unemployed) to finish Forza 3's event list. 4 is going to take me even longer!

guest1321

Of course, I can't stand not having everything ticked. I'm not going to bother going for the full 1000/1000 though because of that stupid Kinect achievement.

I sort of assumed you would at least finish out the event list. I was more curious about if you were going to keep playing beyond that. I know there is a lot of stuff to do beyond the event list but I feel like the event list can get kind of redundant and while the options for more races are appreciated, I feel it is somehow diluted.

If you guys get hit by the AI what is your initial reaction. I noticed I sort of have a go to thing to do (I won't mention it yet for the integrity of your answers being more accurate), and I was wondering if everyone had the same reaction or if there is a better thing to do or if people are just different.

op_ivy

I sort of assumed you would at least finish out the event list. I was more curious about if you were going to keep playing beyond that. I know there is a lot of stuff to do beyond the event list but I feel like the event list can get kind of redundant and while the options for more races are appreciated, I feel it is somehow diluted.

i will, but it will be more for my own enjoyment, like time trialing the longer courses with my favorite cars, for fun, not even leaderboard position. i'm also still holding out hope (not really) for DLC tracks and career integration.

If you guys get hit by the AI what is your initial reaction. I noticed I sort of have a go to thing to do (I won't mention it yet for the integrity of your answers being more accurate), and I was wondering if everyone had the same reaction or if there is a better thing to do or if people are just different.

curse. then restart. i really like clean races and try to get around the ai without incident, even if that means taking significantly longer to get 1st. thankfully, the ai isnt all that hard on hard, so its usually not a huge issue, unless they are acting particularly braindead.

unless its a race i don't really enjoy, in which case i'll curse, then continue on.

op_ivy

Thanks man, I just really enjoy editing photos so usually 99% of mine are always edited to some degree.

now you got me thinking... has anyone ever tried to do a HDR image or merged exposures from video game photos?i may give it a shot latter...

op_ivy

ok, (very) quickly played around with some HDR program and curious what you guys think of the results. pardon the watermark...

tone mapped
6728292781_baed26c0b4_b.jpg

thoughts?

EDIT: did a much better tone mapped image

Yeah, I'll probably play it once and a while. After 130+ hours I think I've gotten my money's worth though.

guest1321

ok, (very) quickly played around with some HDR program and curious what you guys think of the results. pardon the watermark...

tone mapped

thoughts?

EDIT: did a much better tone mapped image

It sort of loses the realism effect, but altogether I like it quite a bit. I absolutely would not mind at all if you posted more of these. Going for realism is nice, but every now and then embracing that it is a game and making it look almost concept arty is pretty damn cool.

Seanspeed

Banned
I usually rewind.

The AI are morons and I'm not gonna let their idiocy ruin my race.

op_ivy

It sort of loses the realism effect, but altogether I like it quite a bit. I absolutely would not mind at all if you posted more of these. Going for realism is nice, but every now and then embracing that it is a game and making it look almost concept arty is pretty damn cool.

definitely agree. funny, this process does the same with real photography too. done tastefully i think it does a better job of actually capturing what the eye perceives, but its easy to go overboard.

op_ivy

did a few others and werent pleased with how they came out, but i think this one is stunning. LOVE the detail it brings out in carbon fiber.

6728758105_ee83f1735b_b.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
did a few others and werent pleased with how they came out, but i think this one is stunning. LOVE the detail it brings out in carbon fiber.

6728758105_ee83f1735b_b.jpg
Oh man, this one looks so vivid. I love the way the colours pop without the environment being too saturated as well as a result.

guest1321

Oh man, this one looks so vivid. I love the way the colours pop without the environment being too saturated as well as a result.

Nailed it.

ivy that looks sexy! Keep em coming!

As for the question I posed earlier about the AI smacking you:

I usually gas it super hard no matter where I am and try and recover it. As a result I end up fishtailing out of turns. It has happened where I get hit on straights but that is fairly fair and when it does happen I usually end up just gassing the hell out of it too.

I think I do end up rewinding about half of the time they hit me; partially because my recovery technique and partially because the crash was unrecoverable (usually based on damage).

Point being: I wanted to know if I was the only one doing this or if it was a naturally inclination for all players.

Muerte_X

What Facebook app?

And I am surprised we haven't had more people confirm for the races on Sundag. Where is everyone?

I meant to confirm last night after I practiced for the races, but I forgot. I plan on being there.

The V8 supercars one is pretty crazy, I forgot how hard they are to control, haha. I didn't try more than one car though, just the holden I already had, probably from a level reward.

Is anyone having a problem with the King of the Hill times?

My time in the game is a 1:12:271 but the Facebook app is reporting a 1:14:047. WTH?

Seen many people on the Forza forums saying this - I presume Turn 10 will go through the official leaderboards.

Is that a time you got before? Maybe it's just really slow at updating. It had CJWilson's time as 1:20 or something at the start.

Top Bottom