• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

guest1321

Forza pulling number 36 on the NeoGAF Game of the Year list. I think I had expected it to be higher, but nonetheless, not bad in a year full of awesome games.

SarBear.jpg

This Sunday, January 29th,the Second Season of the SarBear Memorial Weekend Racing League is entering Race Weekend #2! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (do your conversions!) for close racing, too much swearing and people forgetting when to brake at random corners! This race is in honor of Top Gear UK coming back on the airwaves. So be sure to check it out when it hits on Sunday!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • You don't HAVE to do all three events, but it's up to you to keep us informed of what you want to participate in.

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

And those of you who STILL don't get it...

Learn to not pass like an asshole by the guys at iRacing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60u3xPBYzQU

OFFICIAL EVENT TYPES (2):

The French are invading! - I actually deteste Silverstone, but it is a great track. Blind corners and enough configurations to make you forget which way to turn. Let's all race into the sunset and bring these little French Bull Dogs to the English shores.

Track
  • Silverstone (Grand Prix Circuit) - 13 Laps
Restrictions
  • 2010 Renault Megane RS 250
  • Class - B500
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Suspension
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Roll Cage
  • NO aero
  • Must keep FWD
  • Must have Race Number

Ambitious, but Rubbish - Get out those Reasonably Priced Cars and get ready to thrash them in ways that nature never intended. I want to see fights for every turn and if the cones are still standing by the end then you aren't pushing enough.

Track
  • Top Gear (Full Course) - 17 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - E
  • Drivetrain - FWD
  • Full Roll Cage
  • 2008 or newer

OFFICIAL TIME ATTACK:
These will run from Tues when they are posted until Midnight EST on Monday the next week. Since the Leaderboards will not always be able to be used due to previous times set, I need everyone who is participating to PM me their final times on Monday before Midnight. I will do my best to confirm the times and if you can send a pic, that would be great. Keep it on the track as only clean laps count.

The Rise of the Italian Stallion - Bringing it back to the OG racer, we will be running these A Class beasts on Suzuka Full. I am sure we have all run the F355C around this course quite a lot in the classic arcade game so here is your chance to show your skills. Try to keep it on the track and harness all these Italian ponies or they just might run away with you.

Track
  • Suzuka (Full Circuit)
Restrictions
  • 1995 Ferrari F355 Challenge
  • Class - A600
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Forza Aero
  • Race Tires
  • Must keep RWD

PRIZES

The normal unicorns and/or prizes from the GAF Club coffers.

BONUS!:

Make a donation by auction today! :) We need your support!

Players (Megane Number):
Shortt Sirket (25)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Rotavelle (12)
Guest 1321 (18)
bakalhau90 (90)
Seanspeed (21)
Zorbsie (31)

Reserve:
Granholme (27)
op_ivy (need #)
LiquidSnake (need #)
Archer33 (1)
Big Takeover (77)
Sarbear (3)
Ox Nagge (33)
retroBrand (17)
Soundscream (13)
Templar Wizard (5)
P3Tran
Muerte X (8)
MJLord (93)
GrassyX
The Japanator
The Stig (00)
cjelly (28)
flyinpiranha
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
Sneaky77
Mr Nightman (88)
Union 0015 (15)

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If you have a pitiful number of posts, you will be put on reserve until day before racing begins.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

Mascot

So, Turn 10 continue their history of trolling us with forthcoming 'big' announcements that eventually turn out to be totally underwhelming.

Have they got ANY idea what the fans really want?

I fear for FM5, I really do.

Shaneus

It's not even february yet, each monthly pack has been named "month **** pack" so far (unlike this one) and BADNED already has the february pack listed for the 7th on his list.
This is just a proper release for cars already available to some people (making the LCE even more worthless than it already was in the process).
Yeah, this is a bit shit. So what did we get for preordering the LCE, taking the above cars out of the question... stickers?

guest1321

^^ nice pics. Loving the pics of the Maserati.

Ivy I want to see some more of those HDR shots, those were pretty man.

Count me in for the races! Number 18 please.

Also, where do I get the racing number design from?

Yeah, this is a bit shit. So what did we get for preordering the LCE, taking the above cars out of the question... stickers?

I haven't even opened the book...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
^^ nice pics. Loving the pics of the Maserati.

Ivy I want to see some more of those HDR shots, those were pretty man.

i havent forgotten, i'll get on it "soon-ish". i really need to find some software without the ugly watermark though - anyone got suggestions?

G Rom

Yeah stickers, a steelbook case, a book full of errors rehashing the Clarkson Autovista parts and VIP status. In other word, the worst Forza LCE to date.

I just don't understand how it ended up like that after the awesome FM3 LCE and also because they did a survey about the LCE before release and I seriously doubt that the LCE we got was the outcome of it unless those surveys were for FM5...

FM is one of the only game I buy full price and in LCE each time because I know that until the next one I'll play the shit out of the game. For the first time though, I was disappointed with the LCE. I guess I got used to the increasing awesomeness that each LCE had given us over the years. :-/

Seanspeed

Banned
Go ahead and put me down for the races. There's a chance I might not be able to do it, though. Going through some weird health problem with my thyroid and the doctor is advising me to not get too worked up about anything until they figure out exactly what it is, which will hopefully be in the next few days, but no guarantee. Needless to say, racing is a pretty stressful activity so I need to be careful.

guest1321

I'm surprised the LE sold out considering how little it actually gets you. You have to imagine that most people saw it as being a fairly pointless LE (from a LE/CE standpoint).

Snack just returned the 330 P4 to me as well as a Ferrari Enzo; thank you sir!

The 330 is mine however the Enzo is not. So either DasRaven or Ivy don't have their Enzo, so let me know who doesnt have it (or who does) and I'll send it that way.

Seanspeed sorry to hear that you have to take some time off Forza. Hopefully everything works itself out before Sunday!

DasRaven

I'm surprised the LE sold out considering how little it actually gets you. You have to imagine that most people saw it as being a fairly pointless LE (from a LE/CE standpoint).

Snack just returned the 330 P4 to me as well as a Ferrari Enzo; thank you sir!

The 330 is mine however the Enzo is not. So either DasRaven or Ivy don't have their Enzo, so let me know who doesnt have it (or who does) and I'll send it that way.

Seanspeed sorry to hear that you have to take some time off Forza. Hopefully everything works itself out before Sunday!

I have both my cars back, so it must be Ivy's.

I have a question about GAF races (and multiplayer in general). Is there any restriction on assists? When you create a lobby do you have to restrict which can be used or can each user race however he wants? I'm saying this because I prefer to focus on the racing itself so I use Automatic transmission for example (at a cost of not being as fast as others). I'm considering racing or putting myself up on the list because you just seem like an awesome bunch to race against and I do miss racing online like in Toca Driver 3, Grid, etc. I'm well aware of racing guidelines and how to proceed like a gentleman, if I risk a move and feel like I abused the other driver or unintentionally caused contact I re-give them my place, etc. I just want to race but I don't think I can do it with manual :D

I have a question about GAF races (and multiplayer in general). Is there any restriction on assists? When you create a lobby do you have to restrict which can be used or can each user race however he wants? I'm saying this because I prefer to focus on the racing itself so I use Automatic transmission for example (at a cost of not being as fast as others). I'm considering racing or putting myself up on the list because you just seem like an awesome bunch to race against and I do miss racing online like in Toca Driver 3, Grid, etc. I'm well aware of racing guidelines and how to proceed like a gentleman, if I risk a move and feel like I abused the other driver or unintentionally caused contact I re-give them my place, etc. I just want to race but I don't think I can do it with manual :D

Do it! Pick a race number. Use automatic. Have fun.

Put me down for Sunday, too.

Put me on reserves then, I can be number 90 to go along with my gamertag. I'm not sure if I can race yet but since I have a pitiful number of posts I can't be put on the confirmed list yet anyway :p

zorbsie

I should be in for Sunday.
-bakalhau- I use automatic too. I'm not as fast as most of the gang, but it's still a fun time racing with them.

Put me on reserves then, I can be number 90 to go along with my gamertag. I'm not sure if I can race yet but since I have a pitiful number of posts I can't be put on the confirmed list yet anyway :p

Don't worry man, I am terrible. I have had zero time to really test or practice lately, so I am usually running by myself in last. At least we have interesting conversations!

Edit: You know, after looking at that new DLC, I am not sure why everyone was complaining about the LE being worthless now? It doesn't have any of the cars from the LE, only those from the "Day One" pack. So the Veyron SS and such are still only available to those who have the LE.

You know, after looking at that new DLC, I am not sure why everyone was complaining about the LE being worthless now?

Sorry, it's more the VIP + Season Pass.

If you pre-ordered you got the 5-car launch pack.
If you bought/picked up the game on/around launch day you may have received one of five store specific pre-order cars.

You got the muscle cars if you got VIP.
You got the muscle cars if you got the Season Pass.
You got the muscle cars and were promised 250,000 Cr if you got both.

250,000 Cr have never shown up, and it's not worth the real money that the muscle cars are.

I just think the VIP owners with a Season Pass should get the 4-5 pre-order cars they don't already have.

op_ivy

Bring back time attack, please!

seriously. with my personal life i'll never be able to regularly make scheduled races and, to be honest, i prefer racing alone, challenging myself with improving my time, than playing bumper cars with 15 others (no offense)

I just think the VIP owners with a Season Pass should get the 4-5 pre-order cars they don't already have.

Agree 1000x on this. I bought both the FM4 LCE and what, $25 for that Season Pass? The discount over time on the car packs is cool, but it sucks that I got repeat cars. And that supposed 250,000 CR has disappearing into the wind at this point.

Allow me to get the pre-order cars for free or send me all the unicorns. Something worth all the real-world money I am depositing into the game.

I spent around $120 on Forza 3. $80 LCE + all the DLC that came out for it.

seriously. with my personal life i'll never be able to regularly make scheduled races and, to be honest, i prefer racing alone, challenging myself with improving my time, than playing bumper cars with 15 others (no offense)

I am sorry. Things have been crazy for me and I didn't think anyone was still interested. Let me update the listing with it.

Edit: For a new page

SarBear.jpg

This Sunday, January 29th,the Second Season of the SarBear Memorial Weekend Racing League is entering Race Weekend #2! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (do your conversions!) for close racing, too much swearing and people forgetting when to brake at random corners! This race is in honor of Top Gear UK coming back on the airwaves. So be sure to check it out when it hits on Sunday!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • You don't HAVE to do all three events, but it's up to you to keep us informed of what you want to participate in.

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

And those of you who STILL don't get it...

Learn to not pass like an asshole by the guys at iRacing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60u3xPBYzQU

OFFICIAL EVENT TYPES (2):

The French are invading! - I actually deteste Silverstone, but it is a great track. Blind corners and enough configurations to make you forget which way to turn. Let's all race into the sunset and bring these little French Bull Dogs to the English shores.

Track
  • Silverstone (Grand Prix Circuit) - 13 Laps
Restrictions
  • 2010 Renault Megane RS 250
  • Class - B500
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Suspension
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Roll Cage
  • NO aero
  • Must keep FWD
  • Must have Race Number

Ambitious, but Rubbish - Get out those Reasonably Priced Cars and get ready to thrash them in ways that nature never intended. I want to see fights for every turn and if the cones are still standing by the end then you aren't pushing enough.

Track
  • Top Gear (Full Course) - 17 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - E
  • Drivetrain - FWD
  • Full Roll Cage
  • 2008 or newer

OFFICIAL TIME ATTACK:
These will run from Tues when they are posted until Midnight EST on Monday the next week. Since the Leaderboards will not always be able to be used due to previous times set, I need everyone who is participating to PM me their final times on Monday before Midnight. It would also help if you could throw a replay up on your storefront that shows your best time. Keep it on the track as only clean laps count.

The Rise of the Italian Stallion - Bringing it back to the OG racer, we will be running these A Class beasts on Suzuka Full. I am sure we have all run the F355C around this course quite a lot in the classic arcade game so here is your chance to show your skills. Try to keep it on the track and harness all these Italian ponies or they just might run away with you.

Track
  • Suzuka (Full Circuit)
Restrictions
  • 1995 Ferrari F355 Challenge
  • Class - A600
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Forza Aero
  • Race Tires
  • Must keep RWD

PRIZES

The normal unicorns and/or prizes from the GAF Club coffers.

BONUS!:

Make a donation by auction today! :) We need your support!

Players (Megane Number):
Shortt Sirket (25)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Rotavelle (12)
Guest 1321 (18)
bakalhau90 (90)
Seanspeed (21)
Zorbsie (31)
FDkeisuke3S (13)

Reserve:
Granholme (27)
op_ivy (need #)
LiquidSnake (need #)
Archer33 (1)
Big Takeover (77)
Sarbear (3)
Ox Nagge (33)
retroBrand (17)
Soundscream (13)
Templar Wizard (5)
P3Tran
Muerte X (8)
MJLord (93)
GrassyX
The Japanator
The Stig (00)
cjelly (28)
flyinpiranha
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
Sneaky77
Mr Nightman (88)
Union 0015 (15)

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If you have a pitiful number of posts, you will be put on reserve until day before racing begins.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

I'll always make time for hot laps. Committing Sunday afternoons will forever be tough.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well the past couple weeks I haven't been showing up cuz its playoffs. This thyroid thing is something new I had happen on Monday. And I dont necessarily need to take time off of Forza overall, but doing long, competitive races really gets my heart going and I cant have that right now. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by Sunday so I can race.

I've always found that I improve much more when I race with others. You get to see how others drive and I get much more competitive when I'm challenged with beating somebody else on-track rather than just beating my own laptime. You cant just have throwaway laps here and there, you've gotta be on-point the whole time. You learn to deal with pressure and to be more consistent.

And of course, you learn how to race with others better, as well. I think a good percentage of crashes happen not because somebody is stupid or doing it on purpose, but because they simply lack the experience and skill to know how to handle the situation effectively, whether overtaking or trying to stop from being overtaken.

Also, to go along with the video Short posted about racing etiquette, which was kinda bare-bones, here's a video that goes a bit more in-depth with how to deal with specific situations. Its well worth watching. He says that people might not agree with some of it, but I can attest that he's spot-on with pretty much everything. Just a warning: the guy is Dutch, so his accent is terrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebXtywMD9Y

Anyone here play with sim steering, cockpit view and no assists?

I'm really struggling to stay competitive online and wouldn't mind playing against some like-minded people.

op_ivy

I'm really struggling to stay competitive online and wouldn't mind playing against some like-minded people.

i do (no clutch though). whats your problems, specifically?

basically for me, I use sim steering, manual with clutch, and in car. As for abs its always on, tcs is off for lower horsepower cars/ awd cars, and is on for higher powered rear wheel drives. Cant imagine racing every car without abs and tcs, since some truly need it to actually keep the damn things on the road lol

My cornering speed is down on most of the other drivers and my braking distances are longer (maintaining stability under hard braking can be tricky especially around the unpredictable opponents) and a single collision is usually enough to end the race for me.

Cockpit view is a bit restrictive, especially as I narrowed the FoV but I've just assigned buttons to look left and right, that might help a bit.

Yeah, some of the cars are a bitch to handle but I like it in a way.

Seanspeed

Banned
My cornering speed is down on most of the other drivers and my braking distances are longer (maintaining stability under hard braking can be tricky especially around the unpredictable opponents) and a single collision is usually enough to end the race for me.

Cockpit view is a bit restrictive, especially as I narrowed the FoV but I've just assigned buttons to look left and right, that might help a bit.

Yeah, some of the cars are a bitch to handle but I like it in a way.

You've got to realize that a lot of people online are just very good drivers. A good percentage of them likely aren't using assists either(I dont). Somebody might be faster than you through the corner cuz they've set themselves up for it better and are taking the optimal line. You'd be surprised how much quicker you can go if you take a corner absolutely perfectly using the whole width of the track.

It could also partly be your machinery. People that go online a lot tend to have good cars and setups.

As far as cockpit view goes, I tend to use it mostly offline. Using hood or bumper view allows me to drive much cleaner when I'm around others. Many of the rear and side-view mirrors are very hard to see out of, and thats something thats pretty important.

Yeah you are right and I don't doubt there's a lot of people on there who are faster and better than me, I'm starting to hang back a bit and wait for others to fuck up rather than make a move now, it's working well enough at the moment.

guest1321

I tend to race with all assists off ( clutch stays on tho), and cockpit view as often as I can (some of the R1 cars suck to drive in the cockpit).

The only time TCS really comes on is when I'm racing R1 and every now and then R2.

It's funny you bring this up but the other night (admittedly after playing for a good 7 hours), I found myself going a little less aggressively into corners (read: not slamming on the brakes), and trying various lines. After a while of driving a little more cautiously and trying to find the lines I started to push myself through the lines. Eventually I ended up getting a lot faster times and was linking the smooth corners together. Just gave the whole racing experience this fast and buttery smooth feeling that was really enjoyable.

I tend to race with all assists off ( clutch stays on tho), and cockpit view as often as I can (some of the R1 cars suck to drive in the cockpit).

The only time TCS really comes on is when I'm racing R1 and every now and then R2.

It's funny you bring this up but the other night (admittedly after playing for a good 7 hours), I found myself going a little less aggressively into corners (read: not slamming on the brakes), and trying various lines. After a while of driving a little more cautiously and trying to find the lines I started to push myself through the lines. Eventually I ended up getting a lot faster times and was linking the smooth corners together. Just gave the whole racing experience this fast and buttery smooth feeling that was really enjoyable.

Yep, it's a fun thing when you start to re-think some of the things you've been doing and realize you might just be breaking out of a plateau you were in, so to speak. I tend to want to break pretty early and smoothly, and set up the exit from the corner very deliberately. Off and on the gas just once, getting a good run out of the corner. It can be a challenge to hold to that method online with other people close around you, as they often will want to go faster into the corner, but that's just part of the challenge of dealing with things online that Seanspeed mentioned.

If you and anyone else fancies a few private races with assists off/manual/cockpits my gamtertag is in my profile, I tried hosting a public lobby earlier but the few people that joined soon vanished when they couldn't change the view.

I play most evenings between 9pm and 12am GMT.

sneaky77

yeah people online are good, even people on this thread are very good, way better than I can be, but I have fun with the game, I still play cockpit no assists manual w clutch on, is a blast alkthough lately I been distracted by Batman lol

Just to let you guys know I uploaded more of the forza 4 menu music to youtube, since nothing has been said to me about the first 3 I presume it's ok to upload more.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL82380DEBE81E0922

Thank you. I like F4's OST, but F3 is just about unbeatable. I only have the game for 3 days now, maybe it'll grow up on me. I should just import F3's OST, play it in F4 andswitch tracks and stop/play on the 360 remote controller.

guest1321

If you and anyone else fancies a few private races with assists off/manual/cockpits my gamtertag is in my profile, I tried hosting a public lobby earlier but the few people that joined soon vanished when they couldn't change the view.

I play most evenings between 9pm and 12am GMT.

I usually have class around that time but I will add you and try and race when I'm on.

Top Bottom