• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

G Rom

That's great. Probably because it's not on disc so they have more memory to work with.

If I had to guess, I'd say it might have more to do with them preparing cars for next gen.

forzabigshot-104ndsc.jpg

forzabigshot-116gesx.jpg

R1 are hard to control at the start IMO. Once the tires have heated, they're rather easy to drive. That's why I'd like FM5 to have the tires realistically warm at the start of the races instead of freezing cold.

Schmitty

I've been playing enduro races with friends but no matter how many laps we do, it seems pitting is never necessary. At what point do tires deteriorate and fuel runs out?

I've been playing enduro races with friends but no matter how many laps we do, it seems pitting is never necessary. At what point do tires deteriorate and fuel runs out?

In FM3, some cars(/classes ?) needed fuel just shy of an hour in the endurance events, but I know I did E/F races without pitting. The lack of endurance races in FM4's Event List means I haven't tried yet, but I can't imagine it would be different. Have noticed deteriorating performance as a long race goes on, but that might be me more than the tires.

Schmitty

In FM3, some cars(/classes ?) needed fuel just shy of an hour in the endurance events, but I know I did E/F races without pitting. The lack of endurance races in FM4's Event List means I haven't tried yet, but I can't imagine it would be different. Have noticed deteriorating performance as a long race goes on, but that might be me more than the tires.

So you have to drive that long? We usually aim for 40 minute races and we never once got close to pitting

guest1321

So you have to drive that long? We usually aim for 40 minute races and we never once got close to pitting

I think most endurance races in FM3 forced you into pitting around the last 10% of the race or you would run out of fuel. The most tire wear I ever got up to in FM3 was around 43%.

And for good measure (NOTE: I suck at photo mod, nor do I have a whole lot of interest in it, but I thought the body kit should be shared:D )
Audi%20S1.png

For anyone curious, the S1 maxed out yields these specs --
R1 897
Power: 947HP
Torque: 676 LB-FT
Weight: 2,448 LBS

Mascot

Ugh! That cartoon sky.
Matched only by the bleached-beige track.

Turn 10 really did right royally fuck up the visuals on Camino.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ugh! That cartoon sky.
Matched only by the bleached-beige track.

Turn 10 really did right royally fuck up the visuals on Camino.

i dunno about that - i've seen plenty of sunsets that look like that. of course the illusion is lost if you race for more then several minutes and its unchanged... but still!

guest1321

It looked much better on my TV, really bland looking now :( . I need to work on my lighting too.

Where is the Forza photo sharing thread? Or did this thread become it?

R182.png

G Rom

Wow just bought the S1 in career to try those mounted lamps and what do I see ? Spoiler and front bumper to make it look like the
Pikes Peak
version ! :eek:

Edit : I don't like the look of the alternate time of day in general (cars and colors look off most of the time and I can't stand the white bloom when it should be orange/yellow tinted) but Camino is the worst offender with the changes they made, it looks like you're on your way to Mordor now...

guest1321

Wow just bought the S1 in career to try those mounted lamps and what do I see ? Spoiler and front bumper to make it look like the
Pikes Peak
version ! :eek:

Are you talking about the bumper kit alternate to the one with the headlamps?

EDIT: just looked it up online, I did not realize that was what that was. That is sexy

paskowitz

Am I the only one that is getting a strong feeling that T10 is going to add rally to the next Forza game. At this point FM4 has just about as many rally cars as that other game.

guest1321

Am I the only one that is getting a strong feeling that T10 is going to add rally to the next Forza game. At this point FM4 has just about as many rally cars as that other game.

While the next gen hardware will probably make it very doable I expect the resources to be focused on other assets within the Forza series (i.e. change of time, night racing, weather, career, 700+ cars lol).

paskowitz

While the next gen hardware will probably make it very doable I expect the resources to be focused on other assets within the Forza series (i.e. change of time, night racing, weather, career, 700+ cars lol).

It just strikes me a little odd to spend time and money modeling rally cars when there is no rally component to the game.

What I want to see for next gen (both games) is MORE cars on track at once. Sure its crazy for small tracks, but for races like Le Mans and the Nurburgring 24hr you need a large grid to capture the scale of the event. Not to mention fit enough cars into multiple classes.

guest1321

It just strikes me a little odd to spend time and money modeling rally cars when there is no rally component to the game.

What I want to see for next gen (both games) is MORE cars on track at once. Sure its crazy for small tracks, but for races like Le Mans and the Nurburgring 24hr you need a large grid to capture the scale of the event. Not to mention fit enough cars into multiple classes.

I have no objection to rally cars appearing in game. As some rally courses are paved I don't really find it odd that we have them in the game. I think the issues with putting Rallying into the game is that you are changing your focus from extremely precise physics on asphalt and focusing on the core purpose of the game to creating a sim for a completely different style of racing.

I think given the amount of resources that have been poured into racing on asphalt, it would be unlikely for T10 to put that into rallying and have it be at the same quality of its counterpart.

paskowitz

I have no objection to rally cars appearing in game. As some rally courses are paved I don't really find it odd that we have them in the game. I think the issues with putting Rallying into the game is that you are changing your focus from extremely precise physics on asphalt and focusing on the core purpose of the game to creating a sim for a completely different style of racing.

I think given the amount of resources that have been poured into racing on asphalt, it would be unlikely for T10 to put that into rallying and have it be at the same quality of its counterpart.

Last time I checked the guy who did the entire tire model for Richard Burns Rally assisted the T10 developing their tire model.

Mascot

I don't like the look of the alternate time of day in general (cars and colors look off most of the time and I can't stand the white bloom when it should be orange/yellow tinted) but Camino is the worst offender with the changes they made, it looks like you're on your way to Mordor now...

Yeah, Camino dawn/dusk (whatever it is) is just... odd looking. The sky looks like it doesn't belong there and the contrast on the mountains is all over the place. The road colour on Iberian is very weird too in places.

Did anyone ever work out yet why we can't race the extreme circuit in reverse this time?

guest1321

Last time I checked the guy who did the entire tire model for Richard Burns Rally assisted the T10 developing their tire model.

I'm not familiar with that game so I cannot speak to the quality of the physics. Would you say that is on par with the quality of T10's asphalt physics from a simulation standpoint?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

honestly (sadly) i think its just fan service.

i think a rally mode would take a fair bit of work (time and money) to add to the game. you'd need to create specific tracks to fit rally and only rally. you'd need to make sure your physics engine can properly handle many different surfaces. your graphics engine would need drastically better particle effects and the polygon budget to have a much more detailed racing surface. you'd need a huge amount of new sound effects to convey racing across these different surfaces. and on and on and on. all of this for a dying sport that really probably isnt worth the effort in terms of sales and money its addition would generate.

:(

this. i'm sure they'll up the car number again, especially being that its on next gen. racing with a full load of cars in shift 2 was awesome - but - turn10 would definitely need to up the AI's intelligence and awareness of other cars. its pretty bad in fm4.

paskowitz

I'm not familiar with that game so I cannot speak to the quality of the physics. Would you say that is on par with the quality of T10's asphalt physics from a simulation standpoint?

It is the most realistic rally game BY FAR and it came out in 2004. It is not as simple as which is better or what level they are on. RBR is old tech, but it just gets the feel right. Its (driving) physics model is nowhere near as detailed/advanced as say GT5, but it still feels better. Just like FM4 has a very advanced system, yet some games in certain scenarios just feel better.

How advanced your physics are make for great PR statements, but at the end of the day how does the game translate through a FFB wheel and how does the car act? That is all that matters. In this regard RBR does very well.

Got some videos uploading of some of the new cars.

First is the Audi S1 doing a Kaido Hill Climb. Ignore my crappy driving, I was pretending I was a Group B driver for a good portion of it.
http://youtu.be/ywQVh7tcsWU?hd=1

The others are uploading/processing. Once they finish I will post them.

Edit:

Modified Alfa 155 around Camino
http://youtu.be/lV88KKimz9Q?hd=1

The 787B around Laguna Seca
http://youtu.be/lr4KICNOsYc?hd=1

Bentley in the Alps:
http://youtu.be/VbNm-w4PwAw?hd=1

Mustang Cobra at Indy
http://youtu.be/yLE8oGClb3g?hd=1

saladine1

You bastards!

I'm currently moving house so i can't download anything. Me so jelly.

The Audi S1 looks fantastic, and i'm sure the 787B will blow my eardrums out.
While i'm at it, whoever has the DLC, can you please rate the sounds of each car?
I love to get hyped up about sounds....

Only had time for a few laps in the R18 and 787B, but they were enough for the Mazda to leave a rather big aural impression. T10's reproduction of the R26B actually does justice to the real thing, and is equal parts savagery and symphony-- the sound of a billion angry hornets being shredded in a nuclear-powered blender. Or something like that.

The Audi obviously can't compete in terms of sound, but may be my favorite of the two to drive, though it's hard to say for sure without more seat time. It loses a bit of visual impact without its blinding DRLs, but the model is hard to fault otherwise. I think this may also be the first car in FM to have proper reflective portions of the livery where necessary, (compare the '09 908 in-game/photomode models to the autovista one for example).

I'm glad I have a bunch of R1 races left in the event list for these things to race. Speaking of which, only about 90% to go. Goddamn.

h3ro

Got to do a quick race with the 787b last night.

WHAT A SOUND! Glorious. Did a quick tune and was setting personal bests with each lap. Grip monster.

SarBear

Also, tried that HDR thing inside Photoshop last night. I'm just not getting the desired results that you guys are. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but they just come out looking cartoonish and bad.

-__-

Top Bottom