• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

SarBear

I wont say anything. Doing the 'rational' thing goes out the window when it comes to girls. Shit will play out like it plays out. Seems like you have decent options, though!

This chick was a last minute thing, believe it or not. Between school and my daughter I really don't try to make time to see other women. -__- I know, i know.....sulking....

....however, she's six years older than me. I don't know what to make of that. In the meantime, will make sure body is satisfied.

G Rom

This game really needs some open wheelers.

Unfortunately, it's impossible at the moment due to technical reasons linked to visible suspensions...
It's a shame because it's holding back many new manufacturers. Catheram, KTM, Ariel, the Morgan 3-wheeler, etc...

Heck, I'd also love to see Formula Ford, F3000 and other racing open wheelers added when they get past that technical hurdle. Again, it would add great variety in the driving experience.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while i too would love open wheelers in fm5 the last message i want sent to the devs is "we need more cars!"

focus on the racing experience and all that entails (pit stops, paddock, noise, team dynamics, atmosphere, etc). focus on career progression, its time to reinvent how a console sim's career mode plays! focus on tracks. launch with plenty of new experiences, even if old tracks dont make the cut. plan out additional seasons of dlc track content, possibly bundled with cars. focus on weather and time of day.

sneaky77

while i too would love open wheelers in fm5 the last message i want sent to the devs is "we need more cars!"

focus on the racing experience and all that entails (pit stops, paddock, noise, team dynamics, atmosphere, etc). focus on career progression, its time to reinvent how a console sim's career mode plays! focus on tracks. launch with plenty of new experiences, even if old tracks dont make the cut. plan out additional seasons of dlc track content, possibly bundled with cars. focus on weather and time of day.

agreed.. more cars is not the problem with the series.

SarBear

Fuck that. Don't give them ANY ideas.....unless they are truly planning on cutting out Maple Valley.

Overall, agreed, though. More tracks, more variety in time of day, working headlamps/leds/daytime running lights, more aftermarket body kits, more MUSTANGS, a completely revamped netcode, the ability to gift a locked tune, improved functionality of menus, meaningful gas gauge, meaningful pit stops, SOME KIND OF PRECIPITATION, bring back the ability to paint brake calipers, work on memory management for people like me who have over 1000 tunes and over 1000 liveries (I'm almost confident I'm the storefront's #1 customer), incorporate a page out of OtherGame 5's book and give street racers a place to just cruise and act a damn fool for miles, get rid of the shiny asphalt, reverse-reverse engineer the damn sun, work on the sound of some of the gearboxes, don't nerf AWD cars so much next time, add a little more shakiness inside the cockpits.......and don't give up on Autovista.....but don't make it a priority over tracks EVER again.

sneaky77

I want 2 menu options added to the event list for sure, one press X to show all cars in your garage that fit this event, press y to go buy a car for this event and show all the cars regardless of make that can take place in that event.

It would make it much easier to try new cars out that way.

op_ivy

Fuck that. Don't give them ANY ideas.....unless they are truly planning on cutting out Maple Valley.

Overall, agreed, though. More tracks, more variety in time of day, working headlamps/leds/daytime running lights, more aftermarket body kits, more MUSTANGS, a completely revamped netcode, the ability to gift a locked tune, improved functionality of menus, meaningful gas gauge, meaningful pit stops, SOME KIND OF PRECIPITATION, bring back the ability to paint brake calipers, work on memory management for people like me who have over 1000 tunes and over 1000 liveries (I'm almost confident I'm the storefront's #1 customer), incorporate a page out of OtherGame 5's book and give street racers a place to just cruise and act a damn fool for miles, get rid of the shiny asphalt, reverse-reverse engineer the damn sun, work on the sound of some of the gearboxes, don't nerf AWD cars so much next time, add a little more shakiness inside the cockpits.......and don't give up on Autovista.....but don't make it a priority over tracks EVER again.

i'm just saying that i know man power is limited and we could potentially see fm5 in 2013, i'd rather have that time spent on new tracks then updating old ones. even if that meant dropping two old tracks for one new (real or fantasy). i'd rather have the majority of the game feel fresh by having (warning, made up numbers ahead!) 20 tracks - with 12 of them new and only 8 returning, then 25 tracks with only 5 new.

of course amalfi full would be among the returning!

Shaneus

Honestly, I reckon just stick with the basics. More fucking tracks. Then work on weather, time of day etc. That they could get something like track DLC so wrong but everything else in the game (save for car DLC, obv) so write just astounds me. Didn't we beg for the same thing with FM3 as well?!?

saladine1

Honestly, I reckon just stick with the basics. More fucking tracks. Then work on weather, time of day etc. That they could get something like track DLC so wrong but everything else in the game (save for car DLC, obv) so write just astounds me. Didn't we beg for the same thing with FM3 as well?!?

But time of day, weather, dirt..etc adds so much more than just upping the track count. Eventually, those tracks will get boring as we race them over and over in the same depressing conditions i.e dry,shiny and flat.

Imo, day/night, weather and track surface variations should take precedence over adding a slew of new tracks.

G Rom

Yeah, I don't think adding more tracks is the only true answer. What I think we're all looking for is more diversity in the driving experience.
As said by Saladine (and I've said it before as well), adding dynamic time of day, weather and new surfaces will add way more diversity than 5 or even 10 new static tarmac tracks.
Likewise, adding one or two spec racing open wheelers adds more diversity than adding 10 shitboxes because we already got shitboxes in the game.

I want "variety in the driving experience" to be the new marketing thing that Dan "The Beard" Greenawalt will keep shoving down our throat during FM5's marketing blitz. :D

saladine1

If FM5 just has the same old tracks as FM4 then I will NOT be partaking.

Yes you will.

Yeah, I don't think adding more tracks is the only true answer. What I think we're all looking for is more diversity in the driving experience.
As said by Saladine (and I've said it before as well), adding dynamic time of day, weather and new surfaces will add way more diversity than 5 or even 10 new static tarmac tracks.
Likewise, adding one or two spec racing open wheelers adds more diversity than adding 10 shitboxes because we already got shitboxes in the game.

I want "variety in the driving experience" to be the new marketing thing that Dan "The Beard" Greenawalt will keep shoving down our throat during FM5's marketing blitz. :D

Exactly.

But somehow, I don't see Greenawalt straying from the tried and true,"turning car lovers into bla bla bla"
He's been trying to turn people into things ever since FM1 and he's not going to stop now...

Mascot

Yes you will.
I know. I am weak.

Seriously, though. Dan had opportunities to add interesting, exciting circuits that the fans were unanimously clamouring for. Instead he commissioned two totally flat, boring tracks because (I can only assume) he's got a hard-on for muscle cars and fat hairy German women.

You have to question his judgement on track selection alone.

op_ivy

But time of day, weather, dirt..etc adds so much more than just upping the track count. Eventually, those tracks will get boring as we race them over and over in the same depressing conditions i.e dry,shiny and flat.

Imo, day/night, weather and track surface variations should take precedence over adding a slew of new tracks.

i completely disagree. time of day is purely aesthetic and would add very little to the replayability. and i dont like racing at night, though it is pretty. weather would add aesthetic changes to the track as well as gameplay, but again, i'm not a fan of racing in poor conditions.

i would take both of the above, they would vary the look and to a limited extent, the experience, but track count is the number one priority. thankfully, i dont think from a development perspective, its a case of one or the other. i cant imagine that next-gen fm5 wont have real-time time of day changes. it seems that faking lighting would be more work at that point and not give as good of results. once ToD is in, weather isnt much of a stretch either - though i'm not convinced ol' dan will include much in the way of actually changing driving conditions in a meaningful way.

Sometimes you guys get way ahead of yourselves and complain about the stupidest stuff. The next Forza will be awesome and you all know it.

saladine1

Sometimes you guys get way ahead of yourselves and complain about the stupidest stuff. The next Forza will be awesome and you all know it.

Well, I don't know about stupid. It's a fairly constant and valid complaint.

Clearly, the only true answer is more tracks as well as weather and night lol

Yes, it would be nice to have but it would not be a gamebreaker. Regardless if they are in or out, the game will still be great. Everyone is just acting like it will be the end of Forza if they are not in there.
FYI there are more racing games than Forza to fit your needs and I am not talking about other game 5.

G Rom

sneaky77 said:
if Forza 5 has the same tracks that 4 and nothing new except weather and night, is not going to help all that much tbh

Which is why I said that it's not "the only true answer"... FM5 will ship with more tracks than FM4, you can bet on it anyway. The real question is what will those tracks be.

i completely disagree. time of day is purely aesthetic and would add very little to the replayability. and i dont like racing at night, though it is pretty. weather would add aesthetic changes to the track as well as gameplay, but again, i'm not a fan of racing in poor conditions.

i would take both of the above, they would vary the look and to a limited extent, the experience, but track count is the number one priority. thankfully, i dont think from a development perspective, its a case of one or the other. i cant imagine that next-gen fm5 wont have real-time time of day changes. it seems that faking lighting would be more work at that point and not give as good of results. once ToD is in, weather isnt much of a stretch either - though i'm not convinced ol' dan will include much in the way of actually changing driving conditions in a meaningful way.

I understand what you're saying but you seem to think in terms of static time of day, like if having dynamic time of day only added a night setting to tracks. To me adding dynamic time of day is about way more than an aesthetic change. It's about having real 24h/12h/6h (real time or accelerated) races like Le Mans, Sebring, Silverstone or the Nürburgring in the game, having crazy race or drift duels on FK by night, having the option to race at the real local time on each track (MSR style), seeing the influence of the sun presence on tire temperatures/behaviors, etc...
Basically, it's about feeling even closer to reality and multiplying the ways to experience tracks.

I don't know if you've played GT5 but if you haven't, I dare you to say that dynamic time of day is purely aesthetic after one HUD-less lap on the Nordschleife with accelerated time of day ! :p

op_ivy

Which is why I said that it's not "the only true answer"... FM5 will ship with more tracks than FM4, you can bet on it anyway. The real question is what will those tracks be.

I understand what you're saying but you seem to think in terms of static time of day, like if having dynamic time of day only added a night setting to tracks. To me adding dynamic time of day is about way more than an aesthetic change. It's about having real 24h/12h/6h (real time or accelerated) races like Le Mans, Sebring, Silverstone or the Nürburgring in the game, having crazy race or drift duels on FK by night, having the option to race at the real local time on each track (MSR style), seeing the influence of the sun presence on tire temperatures/behaviors, etc...
Basically, it's about feeling even closer to reality and multiplying the ways to experience tracks.

I don't know if you've played GT5 but if you haven't, I dare you to say that dynamic time of day is purely aesthetic after one HUD-less lap on the Nordschleife with accelerated time of day ! :p

no, i was thinking dynamic. its awesome, for sure (my only experience would be lemans 24hours for dreamcast), but it doesnt add anywhere near the replayability that more tracks would add. its a moot point though, as i definitely think that next-gen will have more than enough horsepower to have a real lighting engine and it will be a given in fm5.

I really would like more tracks and, even tho this might be blasphemy, I want more fictional tracks. I used to be all about the real world tracks, and it is still awesome to race in a real place, but nothing is more fun than their fictional tracks. I think the best ones are the fictional ones that are based on either real places or ideas. You can do a lot more with cambered turns, straights, crazy hairpins and such that aren't possible with real tracks due to safety concerns,

And I will echo what SarBear said earlier, and what I have said many times before, but I really want a nice highway/street track that we can just have some high speed fun on. Seriously, that Special Stage Route 7 in GT5 is just amazing. It's just miles of awesome Tokyo freeway with just some hairpins at the end. It has a very Tokyo Xtreme Racer vibe and is amazing to do top speed races on. Plus it is at night, which just adds even more to the "street race" feeling.

I don't want a ton more tracks so much as just better designed and varied tracks.

So we shouldn't want Forza to be better? Is still the best driving model in consoles.

Well has Forza not been better every time a new one is released? Have some faith. Also, you have to realize that until the next gen consoles come out, they are restricted by the 360's hardware. I can almost guarantee that next gen Forza will be a lot more diverse with more cars than we can handle.

op_ivy

Well has Forza not been better every time a new one is released? Have some faith. Also, you have to realize that until the next gen consoles come out, they are restricted by the 360's hardware. I can almost guarantee that next gen Forza will be a lot more diverse with more cars than we can handle.

arrrrrgh

G Rom

Yes, it would be nice to have but it would not be a gamebreaker. Regardless if they are in or out, the game will still be great. Everyone is just acting like it will be the end of Forza if they are not in there.
FYI there are more racing games than Forza to fit your needs and I am not talking about other game 5.

At this point it's pretty much guaranteed that FM5 will be next-gen. Not having dynamic time of day and weather on Durango would be pathetic IMO.
I understand why they didn't do it in FM4 but not having both of those features in FM5 would be totally unacceptable. Even more unacceptable when we have proofs of weather being toyed with back in the FM3 days.

But as said, from a development point of view, it would be stupid to keep doing pre baked tracks on next-gen so I doubt FM5 won't have dynamic time of day.

op_ivy

When I said diverse, I should have pointed out that that was meant for tracks as in night, weather, and dirt tracks. It will be here next game. Quit complaining and have some faith.

more cars!

i will love the shit out of fm5, dun worry

more cars!

i will love the shit out of fm5, dun worry

Well we can't complain that fm4 doesn't have more/night/weather tracks and won't be added. It is what it is and the next game will not disappoint. When fm4 was announced, I had no expectations of that stuff being included without other content being left out. They can only fit so much into the game with the 360's hardware. Next gen will have a lot more freedom. So lets just be patient and stop complaining about the current game and just continue to enjoy it.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can do a lot more with cambered turns, straights, crazy hairpins and such that aren't possible with real tracks due to safety concerns,

Yea, I'm a big fan of fictional tracks because of this. I like real-life tracks cuz many are genuinely great to drive/race but also because I watch a lot of racing and its cool to really know these tracks from a driver-perspective, but its true that most modern-day tracks have lots of limitations, which means game developers get the dream job of designing no-limit tracks. Turn 10 have been hit and miss with fictional tracks, but most are good and its insane they haven't brought back some of ones from FM1.

And like everyone else, I want day/night cycles and wet weather, but I'm not screaming for it like most. They really dont add that much to the experience. They're good for a shake-up from the standard dry, daylight racing, but its mostly just an aesthetics thing in both cases. I've never played a game that did wet weather in a really brilliant way with realistically varying grip levels or anything. Its usually just a flat -60% traction or something which Forza can already do. Its just the actual displaying of the rain and the spray that needs to be added.

With day/night cycles, its very cool visually, but again, the effect of the actual on-track physics and whatnot is minimal. You can have the temperature changes affect grip levels, but again, thats something Forza can already do. Everything else is just for the shakeup in variety. People can claim that its important cuz of races like Sebring and Le Mans, but most people's races in Forza are just like 3-5 laps or something and you've got accelerate the day/night cycle like crazy for you to experience the changeability and then its a bit silly. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like it, but it needs to be done properly and I can understand why they didn't think it was a big priority(although saying that, the things they did seem to prioritize instead didn't warrant the attention either). I think I'd be happy with a handful of tracks that were simply set at night at this point.

Turn 10 seem to be heading in a pretty good direction with the series overall if I look back at the progression. There's a small bit of hope in me that Forza Horizon will fill the niche for real-life road driving(Positano, Kaido, Pacific Shipyards, etc) so that Forza Motorsport can start to live up to its name more and focus on upping the actual racing experience with more user control in the pitstops, take away the ever-lasting tires from FM4, include qualifying options and stuff like that but thats a pipe dream. Its too small an audience for a game that needs to sell millions(and again, saying that, it did seem that they went out of their way to alter the game for the benefit of hotlappers/leaderboard drivers even though they're a tiny minority, too).

But definitely no-brainer Day 1 purchase no matter what pretty much. Well....assuming I choose to get the next Xbox of course.

G Rom

I think PGR4 still has one of the best implementation of weather with the usual loss of traction but also aquaplaning when driving on those big pre baked puddle of water or icy parts.
Actually, something that I've been dreaming to see on next-gen hardware is physics based water on the tracks. What I mean is that when it would be raining, the water would actually accumulate in a realistic way according to the topography of the track and not in an uniform or random way. It does seem like a pretty crazy thing to add in a game though and I'm pretty sure fluids are a whole different and way more complex beast when it comes to physics simulation.

Talking about all this reminded me of a race I want to run with ForzaGAF. I want to do a "wet" downhill Kaido race. Drop the traction to like -40% or something and do a race with D/E cars on the Downhill Kaido. I think it would be an interesting, and fun, race....especially if we could get a full grid!

SarBear

Talking about all this reminded me of a race I want to run with ForzaGAF. I want to do a "wet" downhill Kaido race. Drop the traction to like -40% or something and do a race with D/E cars on the Downhill Kaido. I think it would be an interesting, and fun, race....especially if we could get a full grid!

:lol

Shaneus

The point I was making not that it's the *only* answer, but if we have the same tracks, maybe an extra single one, no matter what else they add to the game then they still would have completely missed the point.

Edit: Going on from a later one of your posts, FM5 will definitely have more tracks. But how many more? From memory, didn't we really only get two new ones over FM3? Not forgetting that Amalfi Full was removed... We'd need a good 4-5 locales (with numerous variations on each, obv) for me to consider T10 having finally gotten the point.

I think PGR4 still has one of the best implementation of weather with the usual loss of traction but also aquaplaning when driving on those big pre baked puddle of water or icy parts.
Actually, something that I've been dreaming to see on next-gen hardware is physics based water on the tracks. What I mean is that when it would be raining, the water would actually accumulate in a realistic way according to the topography of the track and not in an uniform or random way. It does seem like a pretty crazy thing to add in a game though and I'm pretty sure fluids are a whole different and way more complex beast when it comes to physics simulation.
I'm sure I've mentioned it here before, but IMO PGR4 has my favourite driving model this gen. It's also the most complete package (weather, graphics, driving, "feel") of any of the games. Everything else always feels like it misses something, but not that game.

Oh man, gonna have to fire it up again now. Look what you made me do! ;P

Mascot

Quite surprised by the number of self-confessed Forzaholics here who still play using a joypad. You do realise you're getting a much-diluted experience and only a fraction of the immersion by playing this way? I'd implore anyone with the funds and space to invest in a decent wheel/seat set-up. My racing rig has been worth every single penny (even if I did get a very good deal at the time). Races are visceral heart-pounding, adrenaline pumping white-knuckle thrill rides with the wheel. Playing with a joypad seems so... one dimensional by comparison. It's night and day.

G Rom

Quite surprised by the number of self-confessed Forzaholics here who still play using a joypad. You do realise you're getting a much-diluted experience and only a fraction of the immersion by playing this way? I'd implore anyone with the funds and space to invest in a decent wheel/seat set-up. My racing rig has been worth every single penny (even if I did get a very good deal at the time). Races are visceral heart-pounding, adrenaline pumping white-knuckle thrill rides with the wheel. Playing with a joypad seems so... one dimensional by comparison. It's night and day.

I race with a controller as well but I'd love to get a racing wheel because I've already experienced GT5 with a DFP and I know how much better and more fun it is. I do have the space for it. It's the funds that I'm lacking because I'd like one wheel that I can use on both consoles and well, the choice is rather limited in that category. Beside, I'd also need a stand. In the end it would cost me almost 400€ for a wheel+pedals+stand with shipping included.

I can only dream of winning the wheel that Alpinestar is giving away on Facebook. It still hurts when I think about that R&T Porsche Wheel photo competition that I didn't even enter back in the FM3 days, it would have been my best shot (pun unintended) at having one... :(

Edit : Now that I think about it, soundscream said he would be giving away his PWTS on NeoGAF if he were to buy the new wheel (CSR). Wonder what happened to that. :lol

Mascot

I used to have a G27 for GT5 but sold it to get the multi-format Fanatec GT2 (and still think the G27 is actually the better wheel). It is a pretty serious investment when you add Clubsport pedals too. I always manage to justify indulgences like this by thinking I'll have it for X years and use it Y times a week, so it's really only costing me a couple of quid a day. There's resale value to factor in as well.

shinnn

je1JSgtvI277s.jpg

jY9jGMcZskspm.jpg

jbdtNQDcbpFZ8c.jpg

jIxldBrHRKm0d.jpg

jLTgIXtEmvWvX.jpg

jbdd7Za9zKmlr1.jpg

stolen from fm.net

pvan.jpg

Top Bottom