• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

Love you.

This could quite possibly be my favourite pack thus far. No because of any one individual car, but they've managed to pick (mostly) ones that I'm not familiar with, but can see I'll really appreciate. The Celica's the icing on the cake, but it's hard to see me not having fun with all the others, too (except that Aston Martin, but you get that).

Is that the Compuware Corvette that had the onboard camera at Le Mans last year? Damn that was fun to watch.

guest1321

Awesome, thanks G Rom. Will get back in a bit once i've given them a shot. Do people have preference on the GT3 cup cars or are they all more or less the same?

Yeah, Australia. Haha.
Some nights a miracle happens and you can get in there and delete everything easily, but 90% of the time it just dies and boots me back to the main menu. Ridiculously frustrating.

Wish they'd give you the option to manage Photos on the website, as it loads perfectly.

Hey, Deadpool (or any other Aussies), are you currently experiencing Storefront dramas (3/6)? Just want to know if it is just me now...
Mine has gone as far as displaying my photos, but then proceeds to show the error and kick back to the menu screen...
It's kind of pissing me off now.
I've even tried clearing the cache to see if that was the issue, but alas, it must be on the MS/T10 server and it's connection to us Aussies.

Shaneus

Trying now. I was in the middle of a PGR4 game, so I hope you're happy :p
Edit: They took a second or two, but all my photos (only had 7 on there, did a cleanout recently) appeared fine. But I'm on cable though, so maybe that makes a difference.

On that note (to everyone else, maybe saladine?) I was just driving the Yellowbird in PGR4, and holy shit at the amount of detail in the engine sounds. Given Wiswell joined well before this DLC had released, hopefully the touch he gave it in PGR4 will happen to FM4 as well. Sounds AMAZING. So many little things.

SarBear

I just can't see myself investing into PGR4 when I still have Forza to play. Would seem like a waste of time. But I just keep hearing all the good things about this game.

Trying now. I was in the middle of a PGR4 game, so I hope you're happy :p
Edit: They took a second or two, but all my photos (only had 7 on there, did a cleanout recently) appeared fine. But I'm on cable though, so maybe that makes a difference.

On that note (to everyone else, maybe saladine?) I was just driving the Yellowbird in PGR4, and holy shit at the amount of detail in the engine sounds. Given Wiswell joined well before this DLC had released, hopefully the touch he gave it in PGR4 will happen to FM4 as well. Sounds AMAZING. So many little things.

I appreciate it Shaneus.
Well mine is stuffing up each time I try.
Hmmm.
I can't even download the Porsche DLC... :-(
KMr7Y.jpg

Shaneus

I just can't see myself investing into PGR4 when I still have Forza to play. Would seem like a waste of time. But I just keep hearing all the good things about this game.
It's far from being a sim, make no bones about it. But while it may be less, um, "satisfying" than doing a good lap in Forza, it's (imo) far more fun. Probably good for a break from being a perfect driver if you just want to throw some cars around some awesome tracks. I just love it because it has that old UK aesthetic that I love, plus a driving model that makes you feel like a badass.

PGR kinda sucks actually. Its for people who cant drive well.
Troll post?

I appreciate it Shaneus.
Well mine is stuffing up each time I try.
Hmmm.
I can't even download the Porsche DLC... :-(
KMr7Y.jpg
Maybe it's a firewall/network thing? Try checking your connection settings (and doing a network test) from the dashboard. That's about all I can think of, though. Or maybe see if you can (almost... obviously don't go through with it) buy it on XBL via your PC.

Ive def got a good connection, open ports, static ip etc. I'll check again, but I hope it clears soon.
Thanks for the reply, mate.

EDIT: I rechecked network settings and tried again. Still no luck. Shoul I email T10 or something?

just because they are different experiences doesn't mean one is better then the other.

It doesn't mean one isn't better either. Each one of us gets to make our own judgement about it.

Seanspeed's comment is perhaps overly dismissive of people that Iike PGR, but I really don't get the appeal of the game.

Hey, Deadpool (or any other Aussies), are you currently experiencing Storefront dramas (3/6)? Just want to know if it is just me now...
Mine has gone as far as displaying my photos, but then proceeds to show the error and kick back to the menu screen...
It's kind of pissing me off now.
I've even tried clearing the cache to see if that was the issue, but alas, it must be on the MS/T10 server and it's connection to us Aussies.
Have had trouble today with Photos again.

Though I've been having trouble for at least a week now. Same thing as you, can see the Photos - sometimes I can actually click them, select 'Remove' and THEN get the error (most often this) and other times it's as you describe; Open the window and instant error, kick-back to the main select screen.

So over it now though, just can't bothered at the moment as it's a waste of time.

The_Monk

Watching right now WTCC in Portugal, Portimão and one of the racers is driving the as Michel Vaillant. Anyone remember the cartoon/comics?

Here's the car.

ho9ptl.jpg

It doesn't mean one isn't better either. Each one of us gets to make our own judgement about it.

Seanspeed's comment is perhaps overly dismissive of people that Iike PGR, but I really don't get the appeal of the game.

Its alot of fun driving through St Petersburg, in the rain, drifting, all while listening to a local radio station.

saladine1

G Rom's thoughts

With regards to drag racing.

First and foremost, it needs to be incorporated into the career lol. It was nowhere to be seen in the game.(career)

As for what would be needed for a good virtual recreation of the sport:

BURNOUT- For warming up the tyres (interestingly, Greenawalt was going to feature this in FM3 but decided "it didn't fit in the FM world"

STAGING- A working 'christmas tree' light with proper sequencing of blue. amber,red and green lights. Three yellow would mean 'staged', green is go and red is a disqualification if getting out too early.

There needs to be specific drag components in the upgrades in order to convey a realistic sense of racing. These include things like:

TRANSBRAKES- Is a mechanism that allows you to launch the car at high revs and a low gear. It basically selects the 1st and reverse gears together in order to achieve the launch kind of like holding down the brakes while revving.

"TUBS and CHEESECUTTERS"- Big fat tyres in the rear, small skinny tyres for the front. (Depending on layout of course)

NITROUS OXIDE Yes people, Nitrous is used competitively and not just in Ford Probes with stickers on the side.

Other things like a proper automatic transmission. Real drag racers just don't use manual or 'auto manual'. Powerglide transmissions are very popular for the street guys which is only a 2 speed. Again, we need REAL AUTOMATIC shifting.
Blowers and Turbos sticking out of the bonnet would be nice too.
The physics need to allow 'launching' of the car into the air as seen in the FM3 trailer. People were so excited when they first saw this only to find out it couldn't be done in the game..naughty, naughty Turn 10.

Ultimately, the atmosphere needs to be created with things like an announcer, two grandstands on either side of the track,huge crowds, TV crews..etc
There's heaps of other things but you get the idea.

Yeah the atmosphere is a little lacking sometimes, just a little crowd noise when passing a grandstand wouldn't go amiss, not forgetting the odd hot air balloon, ha.

The Stig

drag racing was SO boring in FM3. it was a genuine CHORE to get those check marks in the event list.

to make that mode entertaining it would take a great deal of work, my point is I doubt T10 will think it's worth their time.

jcutner

I completed the world series (or w/e it's called) career mode the other day - and I went to check the event list and man it doesn't even begin to touch those events. Also, why am I just discovering now there's no endurance races? What the hell, T10 :(

Xanadu

Banned
I completed the world series (or w/e it's called) career mode the other day - and I went to check the event list and man it doesn't even begin to touch those events. Also, why am I just discovering now there's no endurance races? What the hell, T10 :(

getting more casual every game

Lack of endurance races was a shock.

Forza 4's bowling is equally as bad as 3's drag, once or twice I can handle, same with speedway but there's way too much of that shit.

Good riddance to Forza's endurance races, I say.

Limited pitting, static weather and time, AI that's seconds behind on La Sarthe three or four corners in... might as well hotlap for an hour.

I expect all of this to be rectified in FM5. :)

Agreed but I have a feeling that they got rid of endurance races because people would just use them in 3 as credit boosters. Hire Driver, let run for an hour, get easy credits, repeat.

Guilty as charged, but only after I'd beaten them myself. Honest.

Lack of endurance races was a shock.

Forza 4's bowling is equally as bad as 3's drag, once or twice I can handle, same with speedway but there's way too much of that shit.

Agreed but I have a feeling that they got rid of endurance races because people would just use them in 3 as credit boosters. Hire Driver, let run for an hour, get easy credits, repeat.

sneaky77

drag racing can go away for all I care, but I am sure someone out there enjoys it. the bowling thing is kinda fun the first time, then is pointless..at least in world tour mode or whatever

SarBear

Embarrassing show for Detroit right now. Seriously, I've been to Belle Isle so many times. I don't care WHAT the reports say, they haven't tried to repair SHIT on the course since the last race.

Have had trouble today with Photos again.

Though I've been having trouble for at least a week now. Same thing as you, can see the Photos - sometimes I can actually click them, select 'Remove' and THEN get the error (most often this) and other times it's as you describe; Open the window and instant error, kick-back to the main select screen.

So over it now though, just can't bothered at the moment as it's a waste of time.

Do you think it may have something with bandwidth and page loading when you have more than the old maximum of 18 photo slots used? Maybe the fact that the page loads and displays all photos one page 1 of photos is meaning it might time out on loading the rest in the background? I'm positive we can't be the only ones experiencing this...

With regards to drag racing.

First and foremost, it needs to be incorporated into the career lol. It was nowhere to be seen in the game.(career)

BURNOUT

STAGING

"There needs to be specific drag components in the upgrades in order to convey a realistic sense of racing. These include things like:"

Ultimately, the atmosphere needs to be created with things like an announcer, two grandstands on either side of the track,huge crowds, TV crews..etc
There's heaps of other things but you get the idea.

These are similar to what I put forward in my txt file.

I feel the atmosphere is completely lacking of any feel that you are at a race track. The racing is too sterile an experience, where it almost seems like its just a bunch of standard rich people cars taking to the track on a track day, not a race day.
AI cars should have default liveries to add to the feel as you stand out like a sore dogs bollocks when you apply a livery to your car in World Tour...

Do you think it may have something with bandwidth and page loading when you have more than the old maximum of 18 photo slots used? Maybe the fact that the page loads and displays all photos one page 1 of photos is meaning it might time out on loading the rest in the background? I'm positive we can't be the only ones experiencing this...

Yeah, I have no doubt it's something to do with the extra allowance as it never happened (as regularly anyway) before as much as it does now.

I finally managed to get a solid connection last night, so I deleted everything (took a good 10 minutes too for all of them). I'll not go over 10-15 Photos at a time from now on, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Not sure if you saw my old posts, but I've had problems with the Photos page for a long time, albeit not as bad as it is now, but nobody else ever commented, so I assumed it was just me/an Australian thing.

Yeah, I have no doubt it's something to do with the extra allowance as it never happened (as regularly anyway) before as much as it does now.

I finally managed to get a solid connection last night, so I deleted everything (took a good 10 minutes too for all of them). I'll not go over 10-15 Photos at a time from now on, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Not sure if you saw my old posts, but I've had problems with the Photos page for a long time, albeit not as bad as it is now, but nobody else ever commented, so I assumed it was just me/an Australian thing.

I've commented a few times more recently, but prior to that, I've always had the odd server time out issue. But I usually try again and it's fine.

Seems it might be typical to us down here, I've got a pretty solid connection usually...

Never mind, I'll try a few more times tonight but I really don't think I'll have much luck as I spammed the hell out of it for the past two or three days trying to get in. Hopefully I get lucky like you did.

Cheers DP.

I've commented a few times more recently, but prior to that, I've always had the odd server time out issue. But I usually try again and it's fine.

Seems it might be typical to us down here, I've got a pretty solid connection usually...

Never mind, I'll try a few more times tonight but I really don't think I'll have much luck as I spammed the hell out of it for the past two or three days trying to get in. Hopefully I get lucky like you did.

Cheers DP.

Same, with the exception of the Forza 4 Storefront, my connection is always solid. No dramas with other games etc.. So it's just something between us and the servers.

I tried on and off for like a half-hour before it finally loaded. Started on page two, deleting last-to-first. Took an age, especially the stuff on page two (I'm talking a minute per delete), but it got shorter as my Photo list got smaller. So again, it seems likely it's connected to the increase in image count somehow.

Shaneus

Yeah the atmosphere is a little lacking sometimes, just a little crowd noise when passing a grandstand wouldn't go amiss, not forgetting the odd hot air balloon, ha.
There is crowd cheering at some tracks, actually. I know the big desert-y one with the inside loop and outside loop (the name escapes me, but it's a great track) comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

There is crowd cheering at some tracks, actually. I know the big desert-y one with the inside loop and outside loop (the name escapes me, but it's a great track) comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

There is, ever so slightly I'd say. After making that post I checked my audio settings in-game just to ensure I didn't turn the ambience sound down or something.

Mascot

I think the crowds might cheer every time you pass a grandstand, but the generally terrible audio balancing in FM4 means that you can barely hear them. Similarly, you can barely hear the other vehicles around you. I was playing OtherGame5 the other day and it was great being able to locate the AI cars purely from their engine noises. It also adds a lot to the atmosphere, to the feeling of being surrounded by a pack of snarling beasts.

There was also a blimp slowly patrolling the sky, which (like exhaust pipes popping flames) always makes me smile.

Any chance anyone knows if someone behind the scenes can be contacted to clear my photos so I can start fresh.

This is the 4th day in a row without access and it's making me sadface.

Shaneus

I think the crowds might cheer every time you pass a grandstand, but the generally terrible audio balancing in FM4 means that you can barely hear them. Similarly, you can barely hear the other vehicles around you. I was playing OtherGame5 the other day and it was great being able to locate the AI cars purely from their engine noises. It also adds a lot to the atmosphere, to the feeling of being surrounded by a pack of snarling beasts.

There was also a blimp slowly patrolling the sky, which (like exhaust pipes popping flames) always makes me smile.
Agreed, it's really shit. I can only guess that Wiswell came onto the scene relatively late in the piece for a lot of the sound stuff (or it's not his responsibility). A way to control the volume of each of the elements would be great... instead I think you can only change the emphasis or something.

Definitely need to increase the road/environmental noise... just comes off too sterile most of the time.

G Rom

BADNED has been answering tons of questions over at FC. One of his answers was that we wouldn't see anything FM4-related at E3. :(

Seanspeed

Banned
BADNED has been answering tons of questions over at FC. One of his answers was that we wouldn't see anything FM4-related at E3. :(

Thats not really surprising. The hope of a track pack is pretty much lost and its just not really an E3-worthy announcement or anything, either.

Jamesways

Thats not really surprising. The hope of a track pack is pretty much lost and its just not really an E3-worthy announcement or anything, either.

It would have been a nice announcement to attach to the end of the Forza Horizon presentation.

It seems we're probably getting more car DLC after June, so maybe there's still hope.

Link? And that is too bad, as it would have been a great opportunity to give the game a bit of a "refresh" from a PR perspective.

Xanadu

Banned
HOW DID I KNOW THERE WOULD BE DUBSTEP IN THE TRAILEROGHIOERGHERHY05HYH

well forza horizon looks abysmal, prostreet mixed with tdu, shit meets shit

guest1321

Night racing and rally in Forza Horizon. Should be good but I don't know how much it will pull me away from Forza 4. Do we know for sure that we are getting the Viper in 4 or is it more likely that it will be exclusive to Horizon? Or maybe part of an ultimate edition for FM4?

Shaneus

HOW DID I KNOW THERE WOULD BE DUBSTEP IN THE TRAILEROGHIOERGHERHY05HYH

well forza horizon looks abysmal, prostreet mixed with tdu, shit meets shit
Troll post? Pretty much everything in it looked decent and a lot of obvious proof-of-concept ideas sure to find their way to FM5 (rally, night etc.).

I loved it.

Top Bottom