• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

SarBear

HOLY SHIT MAN! That is insane!!!

ric-flair-o.gif

BearChair

What are the chances we could get either the R18 E-tron Quattro or Toyota TS030 in the near future? Can the game properly simulate those cars?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Beetle is awesome with all the race mods installed and upgraded to class C. Naturally, mine is wearing the best Herbie livery I could find on the storefront.

That car is the Zooey Deschanel of Forza 4, so adorkable.

SarBear

From the grave! Damn, couple days after the new DLC hits and this thread is dead! Guess that means something...... -___-

Needs more MUSTANGS

guest1321

Assuming that the level bug is a legitimate thing. Do you end up getting to choose cars again and do you also get money for each level?

Shaneus

Wait, so what bug is it? I thought SarBear was talking about "getting the bug", not getting an actual bug.

Around 255 would make sense, though. That's FF in hex code. An extra level would mean it rolls over to >8-bit number.

Bug doesn't actually reset your level, it just doesn't display properly in a number of places. Presumably a bunch of the UI was coded when levels stopped at 150, and to store that number you only need two one bytes.

Edit: am idiot.

XShagrath

Bug doesn't actually reset your level, it just doesn't display properly in a number of places. Presumably a bunch of the UI was coded when levels stopped at 150, and to store that number you only need two bytes.
You really only need one byte to get to 150, and still one byte to get to 200, or even 250 (max size for one byte is 255, in unsigned form). Unless I'm just being stupid or something?

You really only need one byte to get to 150, and still one byte to get to 200, or even 250 (max size for one byte is 255, in unsigned form). Unless I'm just being stupid or something?

Sorry, brain fart. I work in high-level languages and only very rarely work with bytes (have reverse engineered a few files, made a few programs that write their own network packets). Was thinking of 0x0 to 0xF as a byte when I posted instead of 0x00 to 0xFF being a byte.

zorbsie

Doesn't sound too bad then.

On another note I'm hoping Forza 5 can do something like this using SmartGlass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_BtO3O-yY&feature=fvwrel

I love a HUD-less display but the dials can be a bitch to read at lower resolutions, mounting a phone to my wheel would be awesome.

I would totally use that. I always run with no hud so this would be really helpful. Wonder if it could be anything more than this, like a rear view mirror.

Forza at Le Mans 2012!

June 10, 2012by Brian Ekberg

This coming weekend will be the 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans race, one of the world’s most prestigious motorsports events. We’re incredibly excited to announce that Forza Motorsport is now a sponsor of the 24 Hours of Le Mans race and, in celebration, we’ve got a full slate of cool stuff ahead during the race, both for fans who are attending the race in person, and for those of you who will be watching from home.

First up, it’s incredible to have the “Forza Motorsport” name associated with the 24 Hours of Le Mans race and, if you watch the race live, you’ll see the “Forza Motorsport” logo on display at the entrance to the Hunaudières (Mulsanne) Straight, along the Straight itself, and at the first chicane, which has been officially renamed as the “Forza Motorsport Chicane”.

If you’re one of the thousands of lucky motorsports fans who will be on-hand at the race, you won’t have to go far to find Forza activities. We’ll be on-hand with the official Forza Motorsport tent, which will be found in the Village Area behind the grandstands and directly across from the SRT tent. Those who visit the tent will be able to take part in lots of fun activities including:

Forza Horizon – Play a demo version of the latest Forza game, Forza Horizon. Forza fans on hand at Le Mans will be among the first people in the world to play Forza Horizon, which was last shown at E3 2012.

Drive the 2013 SRT Viper GTS – Available both in Forza Horizon, as well as in a soon-to-be-released free download for Forza fans, the 2013 SRT Viper is a car that must be driven to be believed. This American supercar will be playable by Le Mans attendees both in the Forza Horizon demo, as well as in Forza Motorsport 4.

Driver Appearances – Several Le Mans race drivers will be on hand, giving autographs, hanging out, and doing hot laps in Forza 4 so fans can test their driving acumen against a real racer. Imagine, you could be at Le Mans, driving the famed Le Mans track, trying to lay down a better lap than guys that will be doing it for real over the course of the weekend.

Tournaments and Prizes – We will be conducting our own competitions in the Forza Motorsport tent as well. Le Mans fans will be able to compete against one another and win prizes for fastest lap times and driving skill.

Of course when we aren’t watching the race, we’ll be playing Forza Motorsport 4 (or, more likely, doing both). If you want to get in some Forza 4 action during the race, we’ll have you covered there too. First up, we’ll be holding our “Game With Dev: Le Mans Edition” on Saturday, June 16. In true Le Mans fashion, this will be an endurance event—a four-hour chance to play with the Forza community team, and win unicorn cars in the process. Join us from noon-4 p.m. Pacific in our official Facebook chat room to get in on all the fun!

In addition to Game With Dev, we’ll firing up a dedicated Le Mans-themed online hopper, featuring both a 2.4 multi-class race on Le Mans, and a Le Mans prototype race that will go for an astounding 360 laps! Those of you who decide to undertake this beast of an event and actually complete the race, send us a photo of your completed (360 of 360 laps) race (and your XBL Gamertag) to our e-mail address (forzacontests@microsoft.com) and we’ll hook you up with unicorn cars. In addition, we’re planning some fun Le Mans Rivals Mode events that you’ll be able to find in the Community Monthly section of Rivals Mode and will only be available for Le Mans weekend. Look for more details soon!

More at the site.

It's great to see Forza behind one of, if not the biggest and most prestigious races... in the world.

E-tron quattro, TS030, and DeltaWing in next month's DLC pack, plz.

Doodis

So what's the GAF consensus on Forza Horizon?

Doesn't seem like we got a whole lot of info from E3, but I'm wondering how everyone's feeling about it. I haven't been able to keep up with all the GAF posting this week due to a new addition to the family.

BearChair

Was the new Viper being free (DLC for Forza 4 I'd assume) announced before or is that the first mention of such?

Mentioned at announcement.

I bought the game about 10 weeks ago with a 360 and have been playing since. Paused a little while to play Deadly Premonition. I got a month of free XBL with the Xbox and played online during that time. Really wish i could do the le mans stuff this weekend.

I've started In the event list in the F class and am nearly though e class now. I've been favoring the vw golf in e class and Datsun 69 fairlady in f class. I have 10 more heat races to go. I love the game and even bought the last dlc pack. If I had more expendable income I'd buy the Porsche pack too.

I just wish I could own more of these cars in real life or at least get to drive them. That will probably never happen on a journalist's income though. Too bad.

My plan is to run through each class race by race until I'm done. I run will all aids off except for ABS and sim steering, sim damage and no rewind.

I'm looking forward to playing with the new Toyota in the d class.

I don't think I'll buy Horizon though. It does not seem to it my style.

G Rom

Nope, we didn't know that it was going to be free, we only assumed due to the Hyundai pack.
When they announced it, they only said that it was going to be released this summer in a "Viper Pack" containing the car and its Autovista experience.

Anyway :
forza474wvktf.jpg

forza475i4j60.jpg

forza476npkug.jpg

forza477srjg0.jpg

forza4781v86k.jpg

forza4806kk6q.jpg

forza479wumtl.jpg

forza482crzvc.jpg

forza481nelxf.jpg

forza484adb8x.jpg

GRom's CRAZY AWESOME INTERIOR SHOTS

OK GRom reveal your secret...... :)

EDIT:
OK, I think I figured it out...

7179751797_46ea72fc24_c.jpg

7364980272_ed1807714b_c.jpg

(Didn't want to upload too many, just in case it gets you banned if T10 see them...)

What other tracks can you do this on? the lighting on Silverstone is too strange?

Mascot

Free Viper DLC? Awesome.

Thinking about the meagre track count in FM4 got me wondering why the fantasy tracks can't be mirrored on top of running them in reverse. OK, it's an old-skool cheap trick but surely it's better than nothing? I imagine it would be dead simple to implement too: a few lines of code to mirror everything except the branding/advertising assets.

Come on Dan, release this as a title update and feel the love.

Finally grabbed the Porsche pack.

And took my favourite one for a spin!

The sound........... <drool>

7364980134_252c0e257a_c.jpg

7364980470_c5cea88852_c.jpg

(Is Flickr compressing photos now or something - at least more than they used to...?)

Noticed this too.
I drew the camera back a bit (around 1.08m) and zoomed in (I think 13x).
And noticed if i varied the depth of the camera by .01m the level of detail of various shadows changed quite dramatically...
I thought it was strange and must keep it in mind.

The most notable difference was the shading on the rear pillar and on the rear of the front guard - I guess I just caught it in between big steps or something...

7364979876_ba4a9b11b1_z.jpg

7364979970_686a3681bc_z.jpg

G Rom

Yeah can't see the photos after your edit.
I don't see the differences between the two photos you posted but I know there are LOD problems on grilles. If you go too far and/or dezoom too much, it will start to disappear and become much darker. You can easily see it on race cars and on the engine cover of the Carrera GT.
Also, I don't see why they would ban people for taking pictures of cockpits.

forza485rnk87.jpg

forza4860dk54.jpg

forza487mx855.jpg

forza488du8rq.jpg

forza489ifkxm.jpg

Faces. Cannot unsee them in the M600.

Try as I might, I cannot get the homespace cockpit camera glitch to work.

G Rom's shots showcase how much detail there is in the cockpits that you don't always get to see-- not quite Autovista levels of detail, but surprisingly close in some cases.

Am I being too optimistic in expecting FM4 AV-caliber detail for FM5's high-poly/photomode models, with FM4 photomode models for 16+ AI cars? Goddamn, I can't wait to see what they can pull off on the new box.

Did you mean HQ models for AI cars ingame? If so, I hope for a little better (at least a basic cockpit) than what we have but would rather the polygon budget gets spent elsewhere...larger grid for one!

I'd like better LOD transitions though - spaces between panels grow and shrink with no regards to distance and badges/grilles flip between different textures, sometimes looking nothing like they did the frame before. Clean that shit up and it'd be fine.

I'm really excited for next gen Forza, in the absence of PGR it'd make an awesome launch title.

G Rom

LOD transitions have been vastly improved compared to FM3 but yeah some work is still needed in that area.
Polygon budget needs to be spent on tessellating the road IMO. Get rid of the flat surface and get Sega Rally Revo level of details in the road along with actual bump you can see.

As for the cockpit, having seen several of them up close now, I can think of a few small things that could massively improve them :

- Ambient Occlusion
- Self-shadowing
- Improved polygon number
- Improved shaders and texture resolution (AV cars show that they can improve on that)

forza490gkb3t.jpg

forza49156xxe.jpg

forza492hrz6b.jpg

mother-god-meme.jpg

I'm sorry this is not Forza 4 related, but does anyone feel that Forza Horizon was made to just bridge the gap between F4 and F5 while offering something different to those who are looking for a more arcadey type jump in and play game.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the purpose of Horizon is. Doesn't seem like a game that should have Forza attached to it.

Thought's?

G Rom

Well Forza Horizon isn't a traditional arcade game since it only has the atmosphere of it. The gameplay is supposed to be close to FM4 so pretty sim.
BTW, there's a thread for Forza Horizon in the gaming section.

I can't get over how insanely good some cockpit look :

forza493pgmwe.jpg

forza4942mmt9.jpg

forza495ihjgf.jpg

forza4967vjvq.jpg

If there's one material that Turn 10 nailed in FM4, it's the carbon fibre. I mean look at that shit, ridiculous !
forza497xl86n.jpg

Edit : I understand now why Turn 10 don't allow photos of the interiors. It's because they don't want us to see the ugly seats of the 95' Mustang !
forza499c7jw7.jpg

forza498t68lk.jpg

U mad SarBear ? :D

Only the first 3 are showing.

I'll try a new post...

The Porsche ones were Flickr, these are i.minus, and for some reason they load differently...

Grabbed the latest DLC pack too. This AMG Black is an absolute beast and handles and recovers quite well for such a huge barge.

I think this one is the best I've taken so far.
ib2FLrvO0aUsfv

And a few more.
ibkAEcSCsDrc0N

ibkIvtg5YzybcB

ibnoCW13fJkBOU

ibfdYn39lU3Mw9

Yeah can't see the photos after your edit.
I don't see the differences between the two photos you posted but I know there are LOD problems on grilles. If you go too far and/or dezoom too much, it will start to disappear and become much darker. You can easily see it on race cars and on the engine cover of the Carrera GT.
Also, I don't see why they would ban people for taking pictures of cockpits.

I just figured it would be classified as "exploiting a known glitch/bug".

If you're doing it, I'm doing it, though!

Any tips, I mean yours have a stack more clarity than I have found...

(Are these in "Garage photo mode"?)

G Rom

Yeah, I just quickly made an invisible 400+ layers vinyl group that I copy/past on the sides and roof to be sure that it loads slower.

forza502sukve.jpg

They actually modeled the Porsche logo on the 962c wheel :
forza503n98zv.jpg

forza5042fkel.jpg

forza5051dmy5.jpg

forza506oumx4.jpg

Wow, how did people figure out how to glitch into the interiors besides the Silverstone trick??

T10 should give us interior photos options in FM5, anyway...

Top Bottom