• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

No idea how I did it, but I managed to completely arse a good looking photo.

Presenting, a story about a plucky little Japanese car and his quest to defeat a European supercar:
forza30r6xf3.jpg

And another photo I took last week, pure fluke it came out like it did:
forza26g6ips.jpg

amar212

No idea how I did it, but I managed to completely arse a good looking photo.

You are using too wide FOV and that is messing with the natural proportions of the car (Photomode simulates lens curvature and effects of FOV-altering).

What you should do is *stand* more back, and then use zoom to *zoom-in* for framing. When you use zoom, FOV effect is neglected due to simulating a tele-zoom lens, where there is no *widening* of sides of the frame.

Also, you can play with aperture (f) values to make the photo brighter in order to compensate for faster exposure to lose the effect of blurring on both vehicles and pavement due to higher value of the EV-stop.

Pepto

Banned
Also, you can play with aperture (f) values to make the photo brighter in order to compensate for faster exposure to lose the effect of blurring on both vehicles and pavement due to higher value of the EV-stop.

Aperture does not affect the exposure in Forza.

Shaneus

I was actually referring more to the colours, not focus and stuff. No matter how hard I try, I can never quite calibrate my TV so that what I see there is what I see when I look at it on FM.net. Thanks for the pointers, though!

G Rom

Yeah Amar, Forza's photo mode is far from behaving realistically... :-/
How I wish for a realistic photo mode like GT5. I'm speaking about the behaviour at least, as I know most people prefer the sliders to the real aperture, focal, etc... numbers.

G Rom

Some photos I hadn't posted yet :
forza4616zjw4.jpg

forza462gp895.jpg

forza463b6k6b.jpg

forza4647njmw.jpg

Also, WTF is wrong with the stock suspension of the Cygnet ? It's ridiculously soft to the point of being funny to brake just to see the car behave that way :
forza467-1vbj3o.jpg

forza468rf81s.jpg

Does anyone upload photos from iPhone?

I usually use "picup"/imgur, but I've noticed that it wants to compress the images quite a lot.

I prefer Flickr on PC, but the non-user-friendliness of the iPhone app and also trying to find the image URL on the mobile site makes this a hopeless option (I think it also compresses from mobile, also).

So, any other options?

I just upload photos on the flickr website. Just easier to download the big shots onto my computer rather than a phone.

Speaking of...just drove these two beasts. Holy shit without traction control!

7346996106_dcbfa831be_b.jpg

7161802849_c5e19f72bc_b.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does anyone upload photos from iPhone?

I usually use "picup"/imgur, but I've noticed that it wants to compress the images quite a lot.

I prefer Flickr on PC, but the non-user-friendliness of the iPhone app and also trying to find the image URL on the mobile site makes this a hopeless option (I think it also compresses from mobile, also).

So, any other options?
I haven't used the iPhone app for it outside of viewing my own photos, but minus.com is arguably one of the best image hosts out there right now. One of the best file hosts period.

I haven't used the iPhone app for it outside of viewing my own photos, but minus.com is arguably one of the best image hosts out there right now. One of the best file hosts period.

Sweet, I'll see if "there is an app for that"!

EDIT: just tried 'minus', I'm getting a lot of this:
D6hgI.jpg

But I got a few done:
i2BXNKEoTDezu

ibhMdyWIZTCqQI

i9x3aWsDjXsF9

i4h8BN70iFqxM

i5KIm6UigzguL

iGfZizIyifNV2

ib1Oa2Cg82IzoC

Yay!

Managed to get my storefront working again!

I somehow got in to delete photos one by one by clicking remove and waiting a few seconds after the "failed to retrieve" message appeared.

It seems like it still loads what you have selected a for a while in the background even when it displays the error message.

Once I got it down to 25 photos out of 30, it stayed in the photos screen!

Woo hoo!

I apologise for posting here do much regarding it, I am glad it's sorted now though.
Glad to hear you got it working again, mate.

Mine's been perfect since as well. Haven't gone over 10-15 Photos and it works basically every time now. Can jump straight in, loads quickly, deletes quickly etc..

Point of interest, have you tried downloading BigShots from the forzamotorsport website? I notice I can never download from the site at quicker than ~22Kb/s for each file. Ridiculously slow when my connection will usually pull down a solid 850-900Kb/s.. Just wondered what you (and any of the US crowd are downloading at) as a comparison.

What's your gamertag? Mind if I add you? Didn't realise prior that there were any other Aussie Forza 4 crew around.

Glad to hear you got it working again, mate.

Mine's been perfect since as well. Haven't gone over 10-15 Photos and it works basically every time now. Can jump straight in, loads quickly, deletes quickly etc..

Point of interest, have you tried downloading BigShots from the forzamotorsport website? I notice I can never download from the site at quicker than ~22Kb/s for each file. Ridiculously slow when my connection will usually pull down a solid 850-900Kb/s.. Just wondered what you (and any of the US crowd are downloading at) as a comparison.

What's your gamertag? Mind if I add you? Didn't realise prior that there were any other Aussie Forza 4 crew around.

Yeah, slow as. It takes about 7-10 mins (on 5Mbps Adsl).

Cheers, yeah my GT is REW138

saladine1

Man how I love the handling of the old cars in the game!
The swaying and rocking, the boat like suspension is marvelous.

On another note, anyone notice the shifting animation in the Ford Coupe lol?

Well I finally finished off the world tour today and thought I'd start making a hole in the Event List.. Uhh, only Six ticks done from the World Tour so I've got a lot of driving to do.

After going through some of the event it boggles the mind why the World Tour wasn't made up of more of the Ribbons available. It's a good thing at this point but wish they'd implemented then all the the World Tour so you had to drive them all at least once.

I've also kept to not unlocking any Auto Vista cars (ok did unlock two when I got it) so I've still got another 8 or so to unlock, which I will unlock one at a time each time I boot up. It's kept the game a little fresh for me, which I intended. I've also tried not to drive many of the AV cars for this purpose, boy does the F50 sound gorgeous.

This game's gonna last me years, much like Forza 3 did. Better get some Event List done before Horizon though.

The event list is a beast. I keep it interesting by almost always using a different car for events. So I keep the class restriction to open so that I'm not limited to classes I don't like.

I'm also working right-to-left because those events are longer. Get the grind out of the way.

I've not really though about how to tackle it to be honest. I'm just picking cars that I haven't driven much and giving it a go. Also held off a few of my fave cars, finally picked up the Ferrari GTO which was my fave from 3, still love it. Hard to get some good angled photos though. I need to practise a little more getting the various levels right.

guest1321

My current plan of attack for the event list is go through and race the events that I have cars for. Then I am going to go back and fill in the gaps where I need to buy cars for specific races. At first I did not mind so much but I really now am wishing the ability to use club garage cars in single player was a possibility.

As far as keeping things interesting I usually just go and pick a car I want to drive and then see what I can bang out in the event list with it. Keeps me happy and intrigued. But I did make an effort initially to work from left to right and I have cleared the blue squares for the region specific events. Now it is just the class and engine specific as well as the world championship section left.

My strategy for the event list is the same as in the last three games: start off enthusiastically, eagerly anticipating cars I'd have otherwise not bothered to try, slowly get worn down by the repetition of tracks, and then sell out near the end and spam the hired driver to finish off the last of the F-class events I can't be bothered to.

I complete the event lists largely due to OCD and a sense of tradition, although with FM3 and 4 I'd say we're at the point where the games simply have too many events for the number of tracks available to justify. Things like autocross/cone challenges help keep things fresh, though.

Man how I love the handling of the old cars in the game!
The swaying and rocking, the boat like suspension is marvelous.

They're just much more alive than in FM3, where everything felt so stiff and static. I almost never upgrade and tune the suspensions on muscle cars and other oldies because it just takes away all the fun.

Sloshing through corners tilting over at 45 degrees never gets old!

My strategy for the event list is the same as in the last three games: start off enthusiastically, eagerly anticipating cars I'd have otherwise not bothered to try, slowly get worn down by the repetition of tracks, and then sell out near the end and spam the hired driver to finish off the last of the F-class events I can't be bothered to.

I complete the event lists largely due to OCD and a sense of tradition, although with FM3 and 4 I'd say we're at the point where the games simply have too many events for the number of tracks available to justify. Things like autocross/cone challenges help keep things fresh, though.

They're just much more alive than in FM3, where everything felt so stiff and static. I almost never upgrade and tune the suspensions on muscle cars and other oldies because it just takes away all the fun.

Sloshing through corners tilting over at 45 degrees never gets old!

Especially in that new Ford! I dropped the Nascar V8 in it, widened the tires and then touched nothing else. I honestly thought it was going to tip over whenever it would go careening into a turn!

Especially in that new Ford! I dropped the Nascar V8 in it, widened the tires and then touched nothing else. I honestly thought it was going to tip over whenever it would go careening into a turn!

Ha, I didn't know the NASCAR V8 was one of the available swaps; I'll have to try that out for the lulz. I was a bit let down when I saw it wasn't available for the Country Squire. A wood-paneled wagon with that fire-breather stuffed under the hood would have been a riot.

It needs to be said, though, that there likely isn't a better example of a car unable to deal with a metric shit-ton of power than this: 1200 horsepower Smart car - Wheelie Every Gear

EDIT: From the Gaming-side Horizon thread:

also, seeing Xanadu get banned made my day, even if it wasn't for trolling Forza or other car game threads.

I'm not normally one to gloat when a poster gets what was coming to them, but I'll make an exception for the clown in question. Our long national nightmare is (hopefully) over.

G Rom

Well, I've officially crossed the 100h of driving in the game. Although, I had already unofficially crossed the mark long ago since I have clocked nearly 33h of test driving.
I've spent 186h in the menus as well (dat Lance Hayes' music).
All in all, I'm sure to be well past the 200h in the game.

Some stats of my career :
Distance driven : 13,163.85 km
Average speed : 131.5 km/h
Number of races : 1012 (!)
Number of races in which motherfucking M. Rossi has appeared : 464
Number of cars in garage : 406
Percentage of career complete : 38.9% (!)
Number of photos taken : 472
Current level : 162
Current highest affinity level : 18 (Chevrolet)

guest1321

Well, I've officially crossed the 100h of driving in the game. Although, I had already unofficially crossed the mark long ago since I have clocked nearly 33h of test driving.
I've spent 186h in the menus as well (dat Lance Hayes' music).
All in all, I'm sure to be well past the 200h in the game.

Some stats of my career :
Distance driven : 13,163.85 km
Average speed : 131.5 km/h
Number of races : 1012 (!)
Number of races in which motherfucking M. Rossi has appeared : 464
Number of cars in garage : 406
Percentage of career complete : 38.9% (!)
Number of photos taken : 472
Current level : 162
Current highest affinity level : 18 (Chevrolet)

Do you do a lot of tuning and rivals/online racing?

I think I have about 88hr's of racing time and am roughly 63% of the way through the game

G Rom

I've only got like 45 min of tuning time and I've had no or close to no proper Internet connection since the game launched, so not many rivals and online races for me.
I don't think those count toward the career stats anyway since they're not in the career part of the game.

shinnn

It's a hit and miss, because the backfire is random. When I see a backfire on replay I rewind and play again using the right trigger. Then when you think the backfire is coming, slowdown releasing the right trigger. But as I said, it's random. Sometimes the backfire appears, sometimes not.

So, uh, it seems as if Turn 10 has fixed the Carrera GT's previously underwhelming exhaust note.

There's a thread saying as much on FM.net, and a few people at FC have noticed this as well. The purebred howl over 8,000 rpm that was so sorely lacking is back, and the chase cams and cockpit sounds are properly differentiated now as well; before they sounded more or less the same.

Maybe they patched it in with this month's DLC, or maybe Nick telekinetically willed our Xboxes to make things right, but it's a nice little surprise. Cheers, T10.

Can any of our resident audio nuts, (read: saladine), confirm?

So, uh, it seems as if Turn 10 has fixed the Carrera GT's previously underwhelming exhaust note.

There's a thread saying as much on FM.net, and a few people at FC have noticed this as well. The purebred howl over 8,000 rpm that was so sorely lacking is back, and the chase cams and cockpit sounds are properly differentiated now as well; before they sounded more or less the same.

Maybe they patched it in with this month's DLC, or maybe Nick telekinetically willed our Xboxes to make things right, but it's a nice little surprise. Cheers, T10.

I just checked it and it sounds just as average as it did. There is a small difference between cockpit/bonnet views, but the motor does not sound as brutal as it should. I have the newest DLC and I honestly can't hear any difference.

I feel this may be a case of people wanting something so bad they make themselves believe it. That being said, I would love to be proven wrong with video!

I just checked it and it sounds just as average as it did. There is a small difference between cockpit/bonnet views, but the motor does not sound as brutal as it should. I have the newest DLC and I honestly can't hear any difference.

I feel this may be a case of people wanting something so bad they make themselves believe it. That being said, I would love to be proven wrong with video!

Hmm, I've got a terrible migraine coming on that may have impaired my faculties, but it sounded better to me, most noticeably in either of the chase cams. I can't deny the possibility of wishful thinking; the sound is at least half the fun with the CGT and I haven't driven it in FM4 as much as I'd have liked to due to the somewhat dull noise.

I'll check again tomorrow with the speakers cranked. Not gonna happen tonight.

My garage is complete with the Manthey racing RSR..
QhWWm.jpg

And an awesome fantasy livery:
qBxHi.jpg

Cheers, yeah my GT is REW138

Nice, added you up just now.

Some stats of my career

Mine:

Distance driven : 19,990.75 km
Average speed : 151.3 km/h
Number of races : 1148
Number of cars in garage : 254
Percentage of career complete : 61.6%
Current level : 229
Current highest affinity level : 50 (Ferrari)

Looks like I'm well over 200 hours too. Not bad considering I got the game in March haha..

saladine1

Just checked the GT out.

The sounds have definitely changed. That, or i'm just hearing things lol

I suspect they have tuned all sorts of levels because not only are the higher rpm samples more V10ish like, but the lower samples are higher pitched as well. That distinct GT snort is more evident now. It seems the changes affect differing views.
I've also noticed other Porsche cars sounding different as well...
Nick being the perfectionist he is, just couldn't stand by and do nothing. He was probably tossing and turning in his sleep thinking about the sounds :)

Sounds much,much better. Thanks Mr.Wiswell!

Shaneus

Just checked the GT out.

The sounds have definitely changed. That, or i'm just hearing things lol

I suspect they have tuned all sorts of levels because not only are the higher rpm samples more V10ish like, but the lower samples are higher pitched as well. That distinct GT snort is more evident now. It seems the changes affect differing views.
I've also noticed other Porsche cars sounding different as well...
Nick being the perfectionist he is, just couldn't stand by and do nothing. He was probably tossing and turning in his sleep thinking about the sounds :)

Sounds much,much better. Thanks Mr.Wiswell!
Any chance they could've been doing this with other cars as well? I'd like to think so... and it's a shame they don't advertise anywhere that this sort of stuff is done.

saladine1

Any chance they could've been doing this with other cars as well? I'd like to think so... and it's a shame they don't advertise anywhere that this sort of stuff is done.

Sure. They probably have done a lot of things that we didn't know about.

This goes back to what I was saying before. There's a whole heap of shit in this game that people are oblivious to. I still don't know why Turn 10 chooses to keep information like this a secret...

SarBear

Sure. They probably have done a lot of things that we didn't know about.

This goes back to what I was saying before. There's a whole heap of shit in this game that people are oblivious to. I still don't know why Turn 10 chooses to keep information like this a secret...

Yea, I just realized the game keeps track of your online stats. I don't even wanna tell you my hours, number of races, and everything else. It's REALLY disgusting.

SarBear

Time Driven: 310 hours
Test Driving: 235 hours (lol)
Time in Menus: 409 hours (lol)

Percentage Complete: 19.1%
Number of Victories: 2010
Number of Podiums: 2797
Number of Races: 3192

Top Bottom