• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

For example, I do not fully understand why a car loses grip on a hard downshift.

The clutch re-engaging at the low RPM locks the wheels as the wheel and engine speeds equalize. (i.e., in the new gear, the current speed would indicate an RPM of x, but the engine is rotating at y, where the speed in the previous gear warranted).

Solution: blip the throttle on a downshift before releasing the clutch peddle (button).

saladine1

The clutch re-engaging at the low RPM locks the wheels as the wheel and engine speeds equalize. (i.e., in the new gear, the current speed would indicate an RPM of x, but the engine is rotating at y, where it the speed in the previous gear warranted).

Solution: blip the throttle on a downshift before releasing the clutch peddle (button).

This is why I want Turn 10 to implement GTR 2/ Rfactor type of shifting system.
People without wheels can only use the controller set to manual with clutch to get any resemblance of real shifting or clutch/rev control. The problem is that it feels awkward for most.
If Turn 10 added a neutral gear while in manual mode, people would be able to blip the throttle much more easily. So, when shifting between 2nd to 3rd for example, neutral engages in between giving everybody a chance to rev freely for a moment either in the upshift or downshift. Not only is it more authentic, but it sounds awesome too!

G Rom

Another 2012 Le Mans car :
forza56060u49.jpg

forza561bc73p.jpg

And some Meguiar's car pack :
forza562co7b2.jpg

forza563rs7w6.jpg

forza564pauuk.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
This is why I want Turn 10 to implement GTR 2/ Rfactor type of shifting system.
People without wheels can only use the controller set to manual with clutch to get any resemblance of real shifting or clutch/rev control. The problem is that it feels awkward for most.
If Turn 10 added a neutral gear while in manual mode, people would be able to blip the throttle much more easily. So, when shifting between 2nd to 3rd for example, neutral engages in between giving everybody a chance to rev freely for a moment either in the upshift or downshift. Not only is it more authentic, but it sounds awesome too!
Considering that the clutch button on the controller is just an on/off switch rather than a modulated pedal with bite points and everything, it IS essentially the equivalent of switching to neutral when you press it.

I dont think there's anything you can do simulate proper clutch control on a controller without some extra trigger that can be modulated properly and even then I'm not sure how well that'd work trying to modulate throttle and brakes and even steering at the same time.

The current solution seems fine. Fact is - if you want a more authentic experience, you've got to get a proper wheel setup.

Also, those GT3 RS shots are sexy, Funnybunny. It makes that Porsche pack all the more tempting, even if I dont get online.

I have been cutting away at the Event List for the past few weeks, but decided to get back into the World Tour again over the weekend. Holy shit I remember why I stopped playing it (dat damn AI!!) but at least having all my Porsches covering all the classes allows for a little more variation now. '98 GT1 is such a good class car.

Anyone else happen to notice the sound difference down the pit straight at Laguna Seca (in particular the Porsche Track Day Rivals Event)?

It gets fractionally louder for me just on the straight, then reduces at the start/finish line...

I love how this car sounds with a slightly bigger turbo, exhaust and a few other mods...DAT BOV!
7393670688_9f81313309_c.jpg

The Ford Coupe is absolutely amazingly detailed.
7393670374_caf6fd304f_c.jpg

Loving the wood grain details...
7393669814_bf495f1a4c_c.jpg

Just stuffing around with a mate online in random classes (never played FM4 online before this).

He managed to lock it up big time entering the first chicane at Le Mans.
7393669598_bc6abb234c_c.jpg

He managed to regain control...
7393668618_504e99e8c6_c.jpg

Only to try and kill me before the start of the first straight (don't know where he got his tune from, but I'd be asking for a refund LOL)...
7393667980_1dc12efd86_c.jpg

Luckily I avoided the impact and cruised on to an easy win.
7393667502_4cd3a77523_c.jpg

We then had a go on the Sunset Peninsula Ring...
7393666920_a81cc42b54_c.jpg

He's a maniac I tell you!!!
7393666434_356f6a0ab1_c.jpg

Is anyone keen for some REALLY casual racing at all? Aussie time preferably...

With the SRT Viper pack coming out this week, are you guys still up for the Snake Charmers Challenege?

The new SRT Viper on Carmino Extreme with the same rules as the 50 Days laps. Just send me the replay and I will get everyone's videos up ASAP.

SarBear

With the SRT Viper pack coming out this week, are you guys still up for the Snake Charmers Challenege?

The new SRT Viper on Carmino Extreme with the same rules as the 50 Days laps. Just send me the replay and I will get everyone's videos up ASAP.

Will be there. I call lime green!!

Ok, just got the Speed Wheel. That thing is cool as hell. Have to relearn how to drive all my favorite cars, but it's great when you do.

Also damn good for F1.

Gamestop just dropped the price down to $40, so I had no reason not to get it anymore.

Ok, just got the Speed Wheel. That thing is cool as hell. Have to relearn how to drive all my favorite cars, but it's great when you do.

Also damn good for F1.

Gamestop just dropped the price down to $40, so I had no reason not to get it anymore.

Hmm, might have to jump in on one of those. I'm just so used to the controller, I don't know if I can make the switch to wheel. Don't really have the space for it, either...

Has anyone driven the Jaguar XFR-S? The latest one? It's the weirdest thing to drive. The gearing is SO short, it just revs up quick as hell before you have to shift. And there's no exhaust tone below 4K. I don't know if my game is jacked or if the car is actually like that!

Has anyone driven the Jaguar XFR-S? The latest one? It's the weirdest thing to drive. The gearing is SO short, it just revs up quick as hell before you have to shift. And there's no exhaust tone below 4K. I don't know if my game is jacked or if the car is actually like that!

The green one?
I totally love that car, it's cool just driving something different to the normal selection of Ferrari and Porsche.

I kind of had a similar mindset when I first drove the latest DLC Corvette ZL1. It's just got this horrible bassy burble and the gears feel really short, like it doesn't quite reach peak rpm before shifting.

I tried using it on the Le Mans Rivals Hot Lap and it really annoyed me how cumbersome it felt. I hopped straight back into the Ferrari 458 Risi and blitzed my opponent first go. Huge contrast though...

The green one?
I totally love that car, it's cool just driving something different to the normal selection of Ferrari and Porsche.

I kind of had a similar mindset when I first drove the latest DLC Corvette ZL1. It's just got this horrible bassy burble and the gears feel really short, like it doesn't quite reach peak rpm before shifting.

I tried using it on the Le Mans Rivals Hot Lap and it really annoyed me how cumbersome it felt. I hopped straight back into the Ferrari 458 Risi and blitzed my opponent first go. Huge contrast though...

Oops, meant the XKR-S. The blue 2012. It gets all these rave reviews, but if the game is anywhere close to depicting the handling in real life, it was a big disappointment for me.

Oops, meant the XKR-S. The blue 2012. It gets all these rave reviews, but if the game is anywhere close to depicting the handling in real life, it was a big disappointment for me.

Pics or it didn't happen :)
I can't recall that one, I'll have to check it when I get home.

EDIT: (FOR PICS!)

Decided to take some shots of the 787B interior.
How were we NOT meant to see this stuff...? I mean, they modelled the labels for the switches, the fuse cartridges, the toggle, and even the pedal box in the footwell. Not to mention the braided lines and anodised couplings and wires of the rear axle assembly....! HOLY BALLS it's amazing! And that carbon fiber in full light!!!

7400880828_ca16cf3457_c.jpg

7400880058_a4e803256d_c.jpg

G Rom

The 2012 XKR-S is awesome. I just see it as some kind of British muscle car. Also, dat V8 sound... :)
forza568m5kgy.jpg

So just started playing this the other day. Is there a GAF car club?!

Yeah there's GAF car club. Just shoot a PM or a friend request to Shortt so that he can add you.

That car is sweet and that's an awesome shot.
That's the one UNION was talking about.
Definitely one of the better Jags for a while.

If you haven't already been inside it, I recommend giving the Merc AMG C-Class Touring Car.
It has an amazingly space-age interior and the amount of detail put into it is astonishing.

7401198560_662a2448f4_c.jpg

The RX8-R3 is nothing to be sneezed at either. I love exploring the interiors of these cars now, it's my go-to thing when I fire up Forza.

7401198128_6f2b165335_c.jpg

7401197480_f1485bb611_c.jpg

Mascot

How were we NOT meant to see this stuff...? I mean, they modelled the labels for the switches, the fuse cartridges, the toggle, and even the pedal box in the footwell. Not to mention the braided lines and anodised couplings and wires of the rear axle assembly....! HOLY BALLS it's amazing! And that carbon fiber in full light!!!
All very impressive, and I can only imagine all of this is in readiness for EVERY car getting the AV treatment in FM5.
If not, then it's a massive misappropriation of resources. All games have a limited budget, and I'd hate to think that the reason FM4 has such a meagre track count is because too much of the budget was blown on OTT detailing of items that you have to glitch to actually see.
And I fully understand that the bloke modelling the hidden switch gear isn't necessarily the same one modelling new tracks: but his wages ARE paid from the same pool of funds. You have to rob Peter to pay Paul in these circumstances.

Can't help feeling that this all points again towards Dan getting his priorities in a muddle, or at best losing control of the product development.

All very impressive, and I can only imagine all of this is in readiness for EVERY car getting the AV treatment in FM5.
If not, then it's a massive misappropriation of resources. All games have a limited budget, and I'd hate to think that the reason FM4 has such a meagre track count is because too much of the budget was blown on OTT detailing of items that you have to glitch to actually see.
And I fully understand that the bloke modelling the hidden switch gear isn't necessarily the same one modelling new tracks: but his wages ARE paid from the same pool of funds. You have to rob Peter to pay Paul in these circumstances.

Can't help feeling that this all points again towards Dan getting his priorities in a muddle, or at best losing control of the product development.

I concur, I was really hoping for some new circuits to cruise around on, because the racing to me has become a bit stale. This is my new outlet - investigating interiors - but I would also hate to think that all this stuff (wasting resources) was done in preparation for FM5, meaning we miss out on something that could have possibly made this iteration actually feel NEW over the previous one - read: 'circuit count etc'.

G Rom

I'm starting to think that it might be the case, or at least that the selection will be much much larger. I've gone through many cars and there are things that I find interesting in a lot of them :

- details go as far as having the keys modeled, something that AV cars have
- real engine photo as a texture under the hood, don't see the point in having it except for reference
- trunk somewhat modeled (general form), they could have just modeled the exterior bodywork but no they modeled an actual volume
- crazy textures and details in cockpits

Also, with this glitch we can see that the differences between AV and "normal" cars aren't as big as we thought :

forza570hijm7.jpg

forza571wv8ti.jpg

The "only" additional modeling that AV cars seem to have are the engine and the trunk. Then it all comes down to shaders being way way better in AV than in gameplay or even in homespaces. That and probably Xenos' tessellation being hard at work in AV.

Finally, we know that some AV cars didn't make the cut and we also know that Turn 10 has worked on stuff that we've yet to see used in a FM title :
forza4-compteur-lexus-lfa-1.jpg

500x_turn_10_office_25.jpg

7179083533_90d69c1771_c.jpg

7372306128_b921e98b66_c.jpg

saladine1

I absolutely love watching the Air Grabber system deploy as I take my 7.2 stroke, supercharged, 900hp Plymouth GTX around the track!

Lovely little touch there Turn 10..

G Rom

Since the C Class was already posted (awesome indeed), let me post some photos of the A4 DTM :
forza573e68l8.jpg

forza574xrmfw.jpg

SuperGT GT-R :
forza575rrmnv.jpg

forza576kjjvk.jpg

Holden V8 Supercars, just amazing :
forza578vd843.jpg

Huayra
forza572lbj03.jpg

MP4-12C
forza5779tj1u.jpg

Mascot

I'm only about 15% through the career grid, and determined to finish it. Getting VERY fed up with the same old tracks, though. Of equal frustration is racing against the same cars, in the same colours, on the same grid positions over and over again during series races. And ending up with all races just being a 1v1 against Rossi after the first lap.
Grrrrrrrr...

saladine1

This guy on the ForzaPlanet forums has had good experience on the real life 'Ring'

I have indeed and terms of strict accuracy of the track width, corner radii, etc. Then the GT5 'ring is most certainly more accurate.

However the curbstones are too low in GT5 (they used to be low as in GT5 but quite a number of years ago), with FM4's more accurate to the height and impact they have on the car.

The track never seems to have the right look to the elevation in GT5 either, you never get that wall of tarmac feeling from it, Forza doesn't get that right either but does do a bit of a better job with it.

Has anyone else experienced the ring ?
Is his conclusions spot on?

Edit-

Is it me, or are the Nissan GTR (R35) brakes absolutely hopeless?
It seems like you can't upgrade the brakes 'cause the car has the best brakes stock, but it just feels so weak. I've tried limiting the bias to 50/50 to try and give equal force, also upped the brake pressure significantly but I still can't seem to get this thing to stop!
Admittedly, the power is on the big side but I haven't had this much trouble with other similarly upgraded cars...

^^^^
Brilliant <slowclap.gif>

A quick tuning question if I may;

What are people's opinions on race tyre pressure vs race tyre temps?

For instance; I have a low power (93kW) Beetle running medium width tread sports tyres, and it sits at around 69deg Celsius when 'warm'. I am also familiar with 'race pressures', mine is sitting around 1.93bar. I know heat (green) is good when racing, but it seems i reach too high a pressure to achieve this, if it does at all.

I can't seem to determine which holds more responsibility in getting rubber to stay on the Tarmac.

Is there an optimal race pressure I should be looking at, or should I just concern myself with making the tyres as sticky as possible without feeling too greasy?

saladine1

^^^^
Brilliant <slowclap.gif>

A quick tuning question if I may;

What are people's opinions on race tyre pressure vs race tyre temps?

For instance; I have a low power (93kW) Beetle running medium width tread sports tyres, and it sits at around 69deg Celsius when 'warm'. I am also familiar with 'race pressures', mine is sitting around 1.93bar. I know heat (green) is good when racing, but it seems i reach too high a pressure to achieve this, if it does at all.

I can't seem to determine which holds more responsibility in getting rubber to stay on the Tarmac.

Is there an optimal race pressure I should be looking at, or should I just concern myself with making the tyres as sticky as possible without feeling too greasy?

Temps are regarded fine when they are between 80 and 100 deg celsius.
If the tyres are above reasonable temps, (roughly over 100 deg celsius) could be:

Tyre pressure being set too low
Springs are set too soft
Sway Bars set too soft
Tyres are too skinny/narrow

With regards to pressure, you're looking for even contact patches throughout the tyres. Meaning, you don't want the edges of the tyre to be hotter than the middle(under inflation) or the middle being hotter than the edges(over inflation). A few degrees either way is fine with a slight leaning for the inside of the tyre to be warmer(negative camber) for added turn in grip.

My opinion is that your temps are a little low. You can decrease pressure a little more and see what happens provided the contact patch is reasonable.
If that doesn't fix it, put on narrower tyres as it seems the power you are running doesn't need the extra width tyres. Also, decrease the stiffness of the ARB's and springs/dampers in order to increase load and roll on the tyres..

Shaneus

I'm blown away by the details in some of these cars. Is anyone able to take a peek inside one of the old FM3/FM2 "imports" (the 22B springs to mind) to see what they're like?

Temps are regarded fine when they are between 80 and 100 deg celsius.
If the tyres are above reasonable temps, (roughly over 100 deg celsius) could be:

Tyre pressure being set too low
Springs are set too soft
Sway Bars set too soft
Tyres are too skinny/narrow

With regards to pressure, you're looking for even contact patches throughout the tyres. Meaning, you don't want the edges of the tyre to be hotter than the middle(under inflation) or the middle being hotter than the edges(over inflation). A few degrees either way is fine with a slight leaning for the inside of the tyre to be warmer(negative camber) for added turn in grip.

My opinion is that your temps are a little low. You can decrease pressure a little more and see what happens provided the contact patch is reasonable.
If that doesn't fix it, put on narrower tyres as it seems the power you are running doesn't need the extra width tyres. Also, decrease the stiffness of the ARB's and springs/dampers in order to increase load and roll on the tyres..

Cheers SALADINE, I'll have a tinker...

G Rom

The new title has been there since around the PEP release so quite some time now. :)

I'm blown away by the details in some of these cars. Is anyone able to take a peek inside one of the old FM3/FM2 "imports" (the 22B springs to mind) to see what they're like?

There you go.

F50 (the roof isn't a texture, it's actually modeled) :
forza5920pjdq.jpg

forza591mejby.jpg

S2000 :
forza590k3jy4.jpg

22B :
forza589ezkt2.jpg

What car has a radar detector built in?

It's the Ultima GTR

Bonus, my small (but frightening when in cockpit view) drift at around 330 kph on the Hunaudières straight with the Yellowbird :
forza593vxj4t.jpg

forza594e1ju8.jpg

saladine1

When doing the camera glitch I noticed that all cars have coil spring suspensions. I guess asking for Leaf Springs was too much..lol

Top Bottom