• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

I'm only about 15% through the career grid, and determined to finish it. Getting VERY fed up with the same old tracks, though. Of equal frustration is racing against the same cars, in the same colours, on the same grid positions over and over again during series races. And ending up with all races just being a 1v1 against Rossi after the first lap.
Grrrrrrrr...

I started with season 10 of the World Tour last night and I'm about 70% through the "career" event list. Totally agree with this, more variation would be nice. Same cars/same grid spots is the most noticeable. Can't be too hard to randomly select from the massive pool of cars (and colour options) for each class, surely.

I finally got the homespace interior glitch to work, (missed the cache clear part-- d'oh), and exploring cockpits has now brought my grind through the event list to a halt, which may not be a bad thing.

I'm still impressed at the world of difference the improved shaders and textures make over the dreary interiors of FM3. The carbon fiber is some of the best I've seen, and the level of detail lavished on some of the racecars is enough to make me moist. I wonder, though, if someone at Turn 10 has a black leather fetish-- not in that way, mind you-- since so many of the cockpits are trimmed with the stuff. Selecting interior trim and colors, a la TDU, is probably asking for too much, but some more variety in Forza's cockpit colors couldn't hurt.

A minor quibble, though. At the end of the day, FM4's interiors are nearly uniformly excellent, and they'll only get better. Come fall of next year, FM5's cockpits will blow our collective minds with the fury of a thousand supernovae, especially with their illuminated gauges for when the sun goes down and wipers for when the skies open up.

Right, BADNED?

Shaneus

The new title has been there since around the PEP release so quite some time now. :)

There you go.

F50 (the roof isn't a texture, it's actually modeled) :
You're a saint! It looks like it's all stuff they've actually modelled. Not sure how we can work out if it was done prior to FM3 or not, but I'd guess that they did the modelling around FM2-era, but just included it (because they could) in FM4. I do recall them saying they took measurements or something even though they wouldn't use them... maybe that's what they were referring to.

Mascot

Can't be too hard to randomly select from the massive pool of cars (and colour options) for each class, surely.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* individual AI drivers always use the same coloured car (with matching helmet colour, like some poncey shoes-and-belt coordination thing). Rossi always seems to drive a red one, anyway.

saladine1

I use a few namely Catalunya for the same reasons you've stated, Mugello Short mainly for gearing , Nurburgring GP for suspension and brakes.

There are two things that I would LOVE to see in FM5: Independent tyre tuning and independent suspension tuning.
I mean, not every track is absolutely flat with even turns so most of the time, your tyres and suspension are all over the place in terms of cohesion. Tuning each corner independently greatly enhances the cars ability to grip,brake and handle much better than the way it's setup now. Hopefully Turn 10 delivers on this...

sub_mart

Neo Member
Quick question, what track do you guys use for tuning your cars and why?

if i'm going for all around cars usually Silverstone, good mixture of turns and straights and it feels bit more slippery to me.. if its good there should be decent on most tracks.

Otherwise, for grippy cars Catalunya, speed tunes America and Sebring.

wish we could have independent tuning as well. Catalunya is the best example of obnoxious difference in left/right tyre strain..

I use a few namely Catalunya for the same reasons you've stated, Mugello Short mainly for gearing , Nurburgring GP for suspension and brakes.

There are two things that I would LOVE to see in FM5: Independent tyre tuning and independent suspension tuning.
I mean, not every track is absolutely flat with even turns so most of the time, your tyres and suspension are all over the place in terms of cohesion. Tuning each corner independently greatly enhances the cars ability to grip,brake and handle much better than the way it's setup now. Hopefully Turn 10 delivers on this...

if i'm going for all around cars usually Silverstone, good mixture of turns and straights and it feels bit more slippery to me.. if its good there should be decent on most tracks.

Otherwise, for grippy cars Catalunya, speed tunes America and Sebring.

wish we could have independent tuning as well. Catalunya is the best example of obnoxious difference in left/right tyre strain..

I'm not a great tuner by any stretch, but I know exactly what you mean with Catalunya. The worst one for biased tyre wear I reckon, is the new Alps circuit. A lot of hard left turns.

I am trying to take your advice SALADINE and tune the suspension on my D350 beetle on NGP. I am finding it way to bumpy on my rebound settings, as it wasn't acting that way on Cata.

Am I doing something wrong? I've heard the general rule of thumb of rebound being at least 75% of bump. Am I right there? Also, what addition to that mix does the spring rate play in that?

BADNED

I finally got the homespace interior glitch to work, (missed the cache clear part-- d'oh), and exploring cockpits has now brought my grind through the event list to a halt, which may not be a bad thing.

I'm still impressed at the world of difference the improved shaders and textures make over the dreary interiors of FM3. The carbon fiber is some of the best I've seen, and the level of detail lavished on some of the racecars is enough to make me moist. I wonder, though, if someone at Turn 10 has a black leather fetish-- not in that way, mind you-- since so many of the cockpits are trimmed with the stuff. Selecting interior trim and colors, a la TDU, is probably asking for too much, but some more variety in Forza's cockpit colors couldn't hurt.

A minor quibble, though. At the end of the day, FM4's interiors are nearly uniformly excellent, and they'll only get better. Come fall of next year, FM5's cockpits will blow our collective minds with the fury of a thousand supernovae, especially with their illuminated gauges for when the sun goes down and wipers for when the skies open up.

Right, BADNED?
Possible!

I'm not that sure on this "fall of next year" part!

saladine1

I'm not a great tuner by any stretch, but I know exactly what you mean with Catalunya. The worst one for biased tyre wear I reckon, is the new Alps circuit. A lot of hard left turns.

I am trying to take your advice SALADINE and tune the suspension on my D350 beetle on NGP. I am finding it way to bumpy on my rebound settings, as it wasn't acting that way on Cata.

Am I doing something wrong? I've heard the general rule of thumb of rebound being at least 75% of bump. Am I right there? Also, what addition to that mix does the spring rate play in that?

One setup for all usually doesn't work.

Having a stiff setup on Hockenheim for example is all well and good. But take that same car and setup onto NGP, and you'll find that the ride will be too harsh, tyres and suspension not working together as it once did on Hockenheim. NGP is much more bumpier, more elevation so a softer tune is required for full potential to be realized.

Let's say for example our cars had no shocks. Literally, you will bounce along the road when driving as you go over bumps,dips..etc....up....down...up...down..up...down. The springs don't have a 'dampener' to restrict that movement. That's where our shocks or dampeners come in. They restrict that bouncing by providing resistance to that oscillation from the springs.

As for bump and rebound, you are on the money. The rebound should be set stiffer in order for the stored energy(while in bump phase) to be dampened sufficiently, otherwise, you'll have a very 'springy' ride.

Springs are about tyre compliance and suspension travel. Generally, an all round too soft spring setup causes a a lot of problems with heavy pitching,squating and lateral transfer. A really stiff spring setup causes problems such as very twitchy steering, excessive wheel spin due to insufficient suspension travel, all round bumpiness and instability.
So, having a more balanced setup is the key here, with a tendency towards soft rather that stiff imo...

As always, it's very important that we read all the telemetry available to determine our goals..

G Rom

Some 2013 Viper GTS photos (after giving it a proper paint) :
forza595ha89m.jpg

forza5961eje9.jpg

forza597wbjh6.jpg

forza598g6jm2.jpg

Just like the Hyundai, there's no Jezza commentary in the AV experience.

Possible!

I'm not that sure on this "fall of next year" part!

FM5 with day/night in fall 2013 and FM6 adding weather in fall 2015 confirmed. :D

G Rom

If we don't get FM5 at launch (supposing Durango launches in fall 2013 which is likely), Microsoft have to have a backup racing game. There's no way they would launch a new console without one, right ? right ?!!

*puts on tinfoil hat*
What if all the ex-Bizarre guys from Playground Games were secretly working on PGR5 for launch ?
They already have a thousand-car pool to choose from and they can tweak/strip the FM physics engine to make it arcade. Just improve all the city assets from all the previous PGR, add something like four cities, make the weather and time of day (already done for FH) dynamic and we're good to go.
If only it was that simple.

One setup for all usually doesn't work.

Having a stiff setup on Hockenheim for example is all well and good. But take that same car and setup onto NGP, and you'll find that the ride will be too harsh, tyres and suspension not working together as it once did on Hockenheim. NGP is much more bumpier, more elevation so a softer tune is required for full potential to be realized.

Let's say for example our cars had no shocks. Literally, you will bounce along the road when driving as you go over bumps,dips..etc....up....down...up...down..up...down. The springs don't have a 'dampener' to restrict that movement. That's where our shocks or dampeners come in. They restrict that bouncing by providing resistance to that oscillation from the springs.

As for bump and rebound, you are on the money. The rebound should be set stiffer in order for the stored energy(while in bump phase) to be dampened sufficiently, otherwise, you'll have a very 'springy' ride.

Springs are about tyre compliance and suspension travel. Generally, an all round too soft spring setup causes a a lot of problems with heavy pitching,squating and lateral transfer. A really stiff spring setup causes problems such as very twitchy steering, excessive wheel spin due to insufficient suspension travel, all round bumpiness and instability.
So, having a more balanced setup is the key here, with a tendency towards soft rather that stiff imo...

As always, it's very important that we read all the telemetry available to determine our goals..

BIG THUMBS UP WITH A SMILE.

Thanks.

I understand how springs operate in conjunction with dampers, I just wasn't sure in terms of trouble shooting where my issues lie - so thanks.

I've got a car that I like on just about every other track, so I'll just try and avoid using it on NGP.

I also spent WAAAY too much time doing THIS to it....shame shame... :p (I'm going to put it in my mate and my garage for him to use ha ha).

oWtZh.jpg

saladine1

^^^Ha ha, that's awesome!

Spring '13 would be even better for a FM5 release. Honestly, I don't care when it releases next year....as long as it is released next year!!

saladine1

OK, now, my thoughts on Upgraded exhaust sound for FM5. (sorry people, I know it sickens you but I need to say it lol)

As we all know, when upgrading exhausts in FM4, the actual notes don't change but rather, Turn 10 have implemented DSP effects instead simulating that 'racey' sound.

Stage 1- Slight DSP applied
Stage 2- More DSP applied
Stage 3- The Full Monty

You can hear those affects quite clearly, especially while struggling over crests and at high rpm's.
This implementation absolutely smashes the non existent upgraded sounds that was in FM3. In FM3...nothing changed sounds contrary to what CHE told us in the beginning..
It actually works quite well and adds a touch of raciness to the sounds.

In FM2, there weren't any DSP effects applied but we did have actual notes changing depending on upgrades. This is much closer in line with reality as anyone who has changed out their exhausts can attest to. Notes become deeper,throatier,punchier,louder..whatever you want to call it..it sounded amazing.

Now if time and budget were of no consequence, the obvious choice would be exhaust changes for all stages. (moving from small diameter pipes,cats and mufflers, to big bore straight through racing exhausts). Seeing how it is of consequence, I would like to see a mix of FM2 and FM4.
Instead of changing notes on all stages or just DSP for all stages, how about this:

STOCK - Record as is with no 'exaggeration' or beefiness added.
STAGE 1- No note change at all but some DSP.
STAGE 2- No note change but The Full Monty DSP from FM4 here.
STAGE 3- No DSP but actual straight through pipes note change.

Some might say that putting straight pipes on ALL cars isn't feasible but didn't Turn 10 do this in the past anyway?
I'm sure it can be done again no?

Anyway, that would be my ultimate upgraded exhaust sounds scenario..

Even if they can't record a lot of straight pipes, recording a car with the stock exhaust and then with straight pipes for a range of engine pipes would allow them to build a better DSP model to apply on all cars with the same basic engine configuration.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
^^^Ha ha, that's awesome!

Spring '13 would be even better for a FM5 release. Honestly, I don't care when it releases next year....as long as it is released next year!!
I'm expecting Forza 5 to show up on the Xbox Durango, whenever that is.

Grabbed the 2013 Viper, will give it a whirl tonight.

saladine1

Even if they can't record a lot of straight pipes, recording a car with the stock exhaust and then with straight pipes for a range of engine pipes would allow them to build a better DSP model to apply on all cars with the same basic engine configuration.

Can you explain what you mean a little more because I don't fully understand..

Oh, and holy shit at the acoustics of the Lexus LFA!
Yamaha did an amazing job on the LFA and so did Wiswell...

G Rom

After the Lincoln leak, looks like we'll be getting the Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 sometimes in the future. It's listed in the auction house at the moment.
I'll get ripped by muscle cars fanatics but I'd rather see real new cars... :-/
I guess it could go with the long-awaited ZL-1 and maybe the Boss 302 if they want to update the modern muscle car triplets all at once.

saladine1

After the Lincoln leak, looks like we'll be getting the Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 sometimes in the future. It's listed in the auction house at the moment.
I guess it could go with the long-awaited ZL-1 and maybe the Boss 302 if they want to update the modern muscle car triplets all at once.

I don't really like the modern take on muscle cars so I'm with you, I'd rather see other new cars.

And Turn 10, listen. If you don't want to fit up straight pipes on all cars because of budget reasons, I have a proposition for you.
Let me do it.... for free....
Yes that's right Turn 10, not only will you not have to pay me for the work, you won't have to pay me for anything!
I'll pay for the flight over to the US, i'll pay for my accommodation and all travel expenses.
I'll just turn up to the garage in my highlighted neon pink overalls and change out exhausts all day and night if that's what it takes. I'll even throw in a set of steak knives as a sweetener...how good's that hey?
All I ask in return is that I want to touch the holy beard of Greenawalt for blessings..

SarBear

Please elaborate.

Oh man, the Hudson Hornet would be incredible! So would that Jag! This guy who used to come in to my old job had a MINT XK120. He drove it a couple of times and it was just gorgeous in person.

SarBear

Needs more MUSTANG. Or at LEAST a fucking ZL1, but if they don't get the exhaust note on that Camaro right, blood will be spilled. That car is a MARVEL.

I have no appreciation for older cars. Unless it's a _________

BADNED

The Challenger is going to be a special free one but you will have to do something to get it. More on that one soon! ;)

Can you explain what you mean a little more because I don't fully understand..

Let's take a common cheap track day car, an old VW Golf. Find a relatively pristine example, and record the exhaust sound (sample set A). Stick a straight pipe on it. Record it (sample set B).

Create a DSP process so that A is transformed into a reasonable facsimile of B.

Apply that transformation on any car with a similar engine/exhaust configuration to get from the recorded stock-exhaust samples to an unrecorded straight pipe configuration.

saladine1

Let's take a common cheap track day car, an old VW Golf. Find a relatively pristine example, and record the exhaust sound (sample set A). Stick a straight pipe on it. Record it (sample set B).

Create a DSP process so that A is transformed into a reasonable facsimile of B.

Apply that transformation on any car with a similar engine/exhaust configuration to get from the recorded stock-exhaust samples to an unrecorded straight pipe configuration.

But therein lies the problem. DSP doesn't generate actual note change. It only applies a sort of distortion effect on top of the stock note that gets more pronounced with each stage. That effect is applied across the board. That's pretty much how it's done now.

Ascari KZ1R confirmed!

tgfDt.jpg

G Rom

No Saladine, next car is either the Ascari KZ1R or the Citroen ZX
The ZX was in the Forzalopnik pool so I'd be leaning toward that one. Maybe we'll get Paris-Dakar kits. :lol
The two cars :
0241815-citroen-zx-volcane-2.0-1993.jpg

ascari--kz1r-gt3-04.jpg

The Challenger is going to be a special free one but you will have to do something to get it. More on that one soon! ;)

Well I don't mind it then.

BTW, I've wanted to ask you for a while. Will we get more European classics and some 80's hot hatchback in the future ? More specifically French ones ?

Edit : Looks like we might finally get the Citroën DS4
ds+4.jpg

saladine1

No Saladine, next car is either the Ascari KZ1R or the Citroen ZX
The ZX was in the Forzalopnik pool so I'd be leaning toward that one. Maybe we'll get Paris-Dakar kits. :lol
The two cars :
0241815-citroen-zx-volcane-2.0-1993.jpg

ascari--kz1r-gt3-04.jpg

Well I don't mind it then.

BTW, I've wanted to ask you for a while. Will we get more European classics and some 80's hot hatchback in the future ? More specifically French ones ?

Isn't that what I posted lol?

By the way, how does the Citroen ZX sound like a Kawasaki?
Because of the ZX?
What a shonky attempt at a clue...worse than Badned's clues...and who is this johnwinna guy anyway?
I'm tired and hungry..

G Rom

You only posted the KZR1. The guy who got his unicorn said the KZR1 and the ZX.
I had not seen the photos you posted. :D
The clue was supposed to be harder. If the DS4 is the car from the current clue, it would be even more stretched out.

He's the guy who does article like Rear View Mirror on FM.net.

Edit : Two more photos of the Viper, including my 600th one in FM4 (not counting Big Shots).
forza599zfz3y.jpg

forza600f4x8q.jpg

But therein lies the problem. DSP doesn't generate actual note change. It only applies a sort of distortion effect on top of the stock note that gets more pronounced with each stage. That effect is applied across the board. That's pretty much how it's done now.

Of course DSP can change that if they want it too and come up with a method (that's the rub, innit?).

G Rom

This might be in the pack :
McLaren-MP4-12C_GT3_2011_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

Edit : It's basically confirmed to be in.
So we're looking at :
Hudson Hornet
Citroën ZX or Ascari KZ1-R
Citroën DS4
McLaren MP4-12C GT3

johniwanna said that we had five correct so I'm missing one. It doesn't seem to be the 392 per BADNED's comment so maybe a Lincoln, the Navigator was mentioned by several people in the FM.net thread IIRC.

Top Bottom