• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Have gone back to Forza 4 this weekend, any chance of joining the Neogaf club? I'm quite enjoying the rival mode, but would be nice to have a few more people to try myself against.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i just got the bucket list cheevo!

but i didnt finish the event list (i'm close, at 98%)... what the heck?

Mascot

Yeah same here, got the achievement around 98%. Probably something to do with the Porsche expansion.
My insistence on NEVER using rewind is severely hampering my box-ticking. There are so many races I should have won but lose under pressure a few turns from home.
Still - makes things exciting!

Re tracks: I played Indy and Sunset's infields back-to-back recently, and Indy's inclusion still continues to completely baffle me. They are such similar tracks, yet everything Indy does, Sunset does better, and by a considerable margin. Better layout, better graphics, better trackside detail, better atmosphere, better variety, better races. What a complete and utter waste of a track slot, especially with SpaHurst waiting in the wings screaming "WTF, Dan..!?".

I've never used rewind!

But I did drop the difficulty down a notch if I failed a race a more than a couple of times.

The repairs to the cars (usually the gearbox) has cost me millions.

Any tips for this one?

DoRI6.jpg

It's my B-Class Suzuki SX4.
On it's 10th lap.

Front pressures are high (100 degrees Celsius), rears are a bit low (74 ish degrees).

I would say that the car FEELS like it's under steering, but it must be.

I've adjusted pressure, softened front springs and ARBs to account (and in comparison to rears), I've even tried, vainly, adjusting downforce and caster to see of I can balance the car more - nothing remedies it.

To put it into perspective; I tried having a go at tuning my first AWD car (an EvoX) for B-Class, and it does low 1:06's on Tsukuba (even the SF tune I tried could only do that in my hands). This Suzuki (my first FF) does low 1:04's! So it's no slouch tune for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tune: 178kW/1,046kg

Single Turbo Upgrade.

Race Air Filter, Street Fuel, Race Ignition, Sport Exhaust, Stock Cam, Stock Valves, Street Displacement, Sport Pistons, Street Intercooler, Stock Oil Cooler, Sport Flywheel.

Race Brakes, Race Susp, Race ARBs, Full Weight Reduction. Sport Clutch, Sport Trans, Race Propshaft, Race Diff.

Race Slicks, Largest Front Tires, Largest Rear Tires, BBS RK Wheels.

Race Front Bumper, Race Rear Bumper, Street Sideskirts, Stock Hood.

Front Tires: 1.74bar/2.04 hot
Rear Tires: 1.72bar/1.85 hot

Camber: 0.9/0.7
Toe: -0.2/0.1
Caster: 4.7

ARB: 16.60/18.90

Springs: 85.4/95.4
Height: 13.7/13.7

Damping R: 6.8/6.1
Damping B: 4.6/4.0

Aero: 38/62
Brakes: 49/95

Diff: 13/6

saladine1

@skeletor, try changing tyre widths, specifically the rears. Stiffen up the rears as far as you can go. Change the LSD torque split in favour of more rear. Set rear accel closer to 100 and front accel closer to 30..

It's not AWD, it's FF. Agree about skinnier tires in the back, though.

The only problem with this is to make sure that they aren't TOO skinny. I have done that before and then it go from understeer into snap oversteer in a heartbeat. You want the rear tires to still have grip, but you want less than the front because in a FF you want a bit of lift off oversteer. Well, at least I like it!

saladine1

It's not AWD, it's FF. Agree about skinnier tires in the back, though.

lol, I just noticed it.
Sorry mate.

Being a FF, the fronts are usually going to be hotter than rears. Not much you can do about getting the rears to match the front in heat.

Just concentrate on reducing the understeer.

A 2 way diff for FF is often overlooked by many people. Just ask the Japanese tuning houses how important a good diff is. Anyway, FF love a very low decel setting. This will induce much better back end rotation. Also, reduce accel setting for the front to somewhere around 30..

Again, install narrower tyres on the rear. Add more suspension in the rear. Increase front tyre pressure..

Jamesways

So... had a corrupted profile yesterday and ended up losing everything. Xbox folks weren't able to help me, so every game save gone.

The thought of starting over in fm4 kinda makes me want to sell my xbox. I was only a level 90, but seriously had so many cars, paints, tunings, and cash. Plus I'm really bummed about losing the 13 liveries/replicas I did. They weren't the greatest ever made, but I put so many hours into them.

At least I still have the paid for DLC unlocked.

Ah well. I guess it's Ford Ka intro races, here I come.

If you guys lost your save, would you start over?

All I really play are racing games, I have no issues with doing Race Pro, WRC, MotoGP, Shift, and PGR over again, it's just Forza seems so daunting after all I had collected and done.

Maybe I should get another hobby.

DasRaven

So... had a corrupted profile yesterday and ended up losing everything. Xbox folks weren't able to help me, so every game save gone.

The thought of starting over in fm4 kinda makes me want to sell my xbox. I was only a level 90, but seriously had so many cars, paints, tunings, and cash. Plus I'm really bummed about losing the 13 liveries/replicas I did. They weren't the greatest ever made, but I put so many hours into them.

All I really play are racing games, I have no issues with doing Race Pro, WRC, MotoGP, Shift, and PGR over again, it's just Forza seems so daunting after all I had collected and done.

Happened to me in FM3, I chose to soldier on, but I never had the same enthusiasm as I had before. I recaptured the fire in FM4.
If it happened again in FM4, I wouldn't go back through the event list again, just play online.

Mascot

Fuuuuuuuuuuck..!
That sucks ass. BIG ass.
Deepest condolences, man.

Did it just happen, or were you transferring your profile (or something)?

Jamesways

Fuuuuuuuuuuck..!
That sucks ass. BIG ass.
Deepest condolences, man.

Did it just happen, or were you transferring your profile (or something)?

It just happened, and trying to fix it with xbox live's correction info ended up deleting everything else.

Really not sure how much grinding I'll be able to take starting over.
Yarrrrr...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It just happened, and trying to fix it with xbox live's correction info ended up deleting everything else.

Yarrrrr...

major suckage. i know credits are easy to come by via leveling, but if you need some for whatevs, let me know.

sub_mart

Neo Member

Sorry to hear that mate, my condolences...

Happened to me February while transfering it between consoles. Was around lvl75, season 6 of career and had a decent collection as well...

Suggestions:
-Think of it as a fresh start... now ur wiser and can make better choices on what car to choose when u lvl up, what to tune and what not.
-Rebuy only the tunes/paints u loved. This along with the previous point should result in a garage with less 'junk'.
-If u, like me, focused on one class for online play, move to another.
-Friends and club can possibly help u with cars/tunes/money.

That's pretty much what I did. Oh and I didnt bother again with career play, too boring to go through again, but thats just me.
gluck

ps: oh, and quickest way to make money is probably rivals racing;)

Raudi

Yarrrrr...

Haven't had the XBOX on in months but will make a point to get on this weekend and send you all of your Designs that I have + some other goodies to help get you going.

I should have plenty of credits to send your way also and will PM you to put something in the AH

Sorry that happened to you!

saladine1

There seems to be a new write-up about Horizon over at IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/25/forza-horizon-reinventing-the-wheel

This game has gone quiet hasn't it?
BADNED, any idea when we'll see an info/media blowout?

So... had a corrupted profile yesterday and ended up losing everything.

I'm on my 4th start over!

If it was any other game, I probably would've been very angry and resentful. But for some reason, I actually don't mind starting over...strange I know but there you go.

G Rom

Sometimes I wonder why I don't enter more official photo contests, then I go to the FM.net forums for a time and stop wondering...
People just keep posting wish lists or random cars in the DLC clues thread making it probably 10x times bigger than it should be.

Anyway, seems like the RUF CTR2 could be part of the pack :
ruf-ctr-2-07.jpg

BADNED said:
Exactly! Who preorders FH will get access to the FH PreOrder Challenger 392.

How about telling us if the next FM will get a much higher track environments number than FM4, you know, as a reward for getting this right ? :lol

BADNED

This game has gone quiet hasn't it?
BADNED, any idea when we'll see an info/media blowout?

The next month the regular news updates will kick in.

How about telling us if the next FM will get a much higher track environments number than FM4, you know, as a reward for getting this right ? :lol
Several new environments are in the works, but nothing that can be named yet nor how many it will be in the end!

Hey BADNED, does The Bearded One ever browse GAF? Does he ever get to hear what we say?
He not, but he has his 'beardlings' who do that and report back to him.

Shiiiiiiiiit. Worst nightmare.
Sorry to hear man.

I'd probably play again, but I'd be devastated. Doubt I'd go back through all the way. I'd probably get enough to buy my absolute favourite Porsches and relegate myself to online and time trials.

Currently level 245 or something, every car I want, a bunch of cash.. Losing all that would be a crazy motivation killer.

lol, I just noticed it.
Sorry mate.

Being a FF, the fronts are usually going to be hotter than rears. Not much you can do about getting the rears to match the front in heat.

Just concentrate on reducing the understeer.

A 2 way diff for FF is often overlooked by many people. Just ask the Japanese tuning houses how important a good diff is. Anyway, FF love a very low decel setting. This will induce much better back end rotation. Also, reduce accel setting for the front to somewhere around 30..

Again, install narrower tyres on the rear. Add more suspension in the rear. Increase front tyre pressure..

I created a second tune file in which I replaced the wheels and rear tyre width (my PI actually increased as a result of skinnier tyres, so I guess that's a hint - hence remedying with new wheels). I already fiddled with the diff too.

I would naturally assume that increasing tyre pressure would make them hotter... why would it be the opposite?

And what is meant by "more suspension"? You mean more travel or stiffer springs?

I think it's not bad as it is IMO but I was just concerned by my majorly different tyre temps.

Thanks so much for all your tips too guys - it's not an easy thing to get right this tuning game!

I'll be happy to gift some cars and cash to help out if need be.

G Rom

I don't have much money left Jamesways, but I'll be happy to help as well if you need.
I'll look for your liveries and buy them for a start. :)

Thanks BADNED. Hoping FM5 will have many new environments, especially the highly requested, IYKWIM...

twinturbo2 said:
Cool. I was hoping for the CTR3, 3400K and the new 991-based models, but I also wanted the CTR2.

Glad that RUF isn't being ignored now that Porsche is back.

Yeah, I'm surprised as well that they continue to add RUF, well older RUF specifically. Newer, I would have understood, to cover the 991 and other Porsche they didn't add. It's very nice that Turn 10 go back to previous generations. :)

BTW, looks like a new car was guessed :
2012-Mercedes-Benz-SLK-55-AMG-Front-Angle-in-Motion-480.jpg

I've seen quite a few of those (well not AMG versions obviously) and I think it looks very good.

Seanspeed

Banned
A tire works a little bit like a spring does.

If you lower the tire temperature, the tire becomes less rigid and more 'deformable'. Its more flexible, in other words. So with the weight of a car on it, a tire will be more 'smushed' to the road, creating a slightly larger contact patch and also higher temperatures from the extra friction.

Raising tire pressures creates a more rigid tire that flexes less. This of course, does exactly the opposite of whats described above.

Also, sorry I never accepted your FR for so long, Evil. I didn't recognize the GT in my messages and I dont tend to just accept anybody unless I know them from somewhere.

@Jamesways, I dont have XboxLive Gold right now, but I'm probably gonna renew it sometime soon so if you haven't given up on Forza, I've got a lot of credits I could help you out with. I could probably part with 10 million no problem.

A tire works a little bit like a spring does.

If you lower the tire temperature, the tire becomes less rigid and more 'deformable'. Its more flexible, in other words. So with the weight of a car on it, a tire will be more 'smushed' to the road, creating a slightly larger contact patch and also higher temperatures from the extra friction.

Raising tire pressures creates a more rigid tire that flexes less. This of course, does exactly the opposite of whats described above.

Also, sorry I never accepted your FR for so long, Evil. I didn't recognize the GT in my messages and I dont tend to just accept anybody unless I know them from somewhere.

Not a prob!

I just assumed that higher pressures inside the tire would heat up quicker and higher than that of low pressure.

I was wrong and never thought of it as similar but opposite theory to boiling water in a vacuum/low pressure - it boils quicker than at atmospheric.

Thanks SS.

Mascot

He not, but he has his 'beardlings' who do that and report back to him.

Roflcopter - my breakfast cornflakes just came out of my nose. I had this mental image of a legion of little bearded flying monkeys sitting at Google workstations, compiling dossiers on every internet mention of Forza for Dan to peruse in the comfort of his jacuzzi.

It's official then: Dan knows about SpaHurst.

There is hope.

saladine1

Roflcopter - my breakfast cornflakes just came out of my nose. I had this mental image of a legion of little bearded flying monkeys sitting at Google workstations, compiling dossiers on every internet mention of Forza for Dan to peruse in the comfort of his jacuzzi.

It's official then: Dan knows about SpaHurst.

There is hope.

Ha, that was pretty funny.

I'm sure Greenawalt knew of SpaHurst since FM1.

FANS FM1- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- no!

FANS FM2- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- lol no!

FANS FM3- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- LMAO no!

FANS FM4- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- ROFL no!

Shaneus

Ha, that was pretty funny.

I'm sure Greenawalt knew of SpaHurst since FM1.

FANS FM1- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- no!

FANS FM2- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- lol no!

FANS FM3- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- LMAO no!

FANS FM4- SpaHurst Mr. Greenawalt?
DAN- ROFL no!
Turning car lovers into gamers and gamers into disappointed gamers :(

Mascot

I heard that SpaHurst was all ready to ship with FM4, then a Beardling spotted that Photoshop of Dan as the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

The rest is history.

saladine1

You know, I think I've only seen Dan reply to one post in all my time on Forza and that was my post back in the FM3 days.
I stated that the FM3 demo felt much more like GT and he responded that they worked pretty hard on the physics.....and that was the last I heard from him...

Speaking of nostalgia, I still remember what drew me to FM1.
Obviously, up until that time, most people were playing GT and had to contend with those obnoxious,screeching tyre squeals. Then I heard FM's tyre screech....the rest is history...

GT was my favourite sim (Colin
McRae was my favourite racing title at that time), then all of a sudden my best mate introduced me to FM1 and ENGINE SWAPS!

The rest is history!

G Rom

IIRC, there were leaks about Microsoft's GT killer being unveiled at E3 2004. Since many games had been called that in the Xbox days (PGR2, both Sega GT, etc...), I was cautious. Then, the first trailer was revealed.
Upgrades, liveries, visual damages, what looked to be an amazing car selection, etc... We take all that for granted nowadays but eight years ago it was pretty damn amazing to see all of this in one sim game.

The first months of 2005 were just amazing for racing games on console with GT4 and FM being released a few months apart. It was also the beginning of one of the biggest rivalry in video games.

G Rom

Nah, it doesn't have bloom so it couldn't pass for FM2/3/4 ! :p
Also,
night racing and Blue Mountain.

I still think that FM has the most realistic look of the four games. FM4 could look more realistic with toned down bloom and road reflections though.

Top Bottom