• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

No problem, I have over 20 requests like that, everyone wants to have a different number and flag on the number boards lol

Any suggestions for the next car? What do you guys want to see painted? You don't have to limit yourself to the latest DLC though, just looking for something to paint :)
I'd like to see something that could possibly have an older influence to it. The cars that come to mind are the older Subaru Legacy or Galant VR-4 in maybe some kind of Japanese 90s touring car-vibe. Or any other "boxy" sort of car with harder lines to it. I like what you do with curves but I'm dead curious about what you'd do with something less rounded.

Don't necessarily mean something with *hard* edges (like the De Lorean) but just something boxier, even like the M3 E30, Lancia Delta, aforementioned Legacy/Galant, that sort of thing. Even if there are far more recent/appealing cars that fit that sort of aesthetic, I'd love to see what you could do with those.

Thanks again for the welcoming!

No problem, I have over 20 requests like that, everyone wants to have a different number and flag on the number boards lol

Any suggestions for the next car? What do you guys want to see painted? You don't have to limit yourself to the latest DLC though, just looking for something to paint :)

What about a Spada Codatronca? Could be interesting.

Welcome to all the new memebers! Great to see some more for the community.
I think my approval here was about 11 months too.

OP needs a "Roll Call" or something with GT's and everyone's locations!

This is a good idea! Not to step on G ROMS toes, but I can add the list to my ForzaGAF Google Doc. Just PM me your GamerTag, where you are from, your time zone and what times you are on. I will compile them all and standardize the times for easier conversion. It would be cool to see how many active guys we have and where they are from.

Edit: And H3RTZ, I would KILL for a good wagon livery. There really aren't many good ones and I would love to see one for the Audi RS2 or the Volvos!

This is a good idea! Not to step on G ROMS toes, but I can add the list to my ForzaGAF Google Doc. Just PM me your GamerTag, where you are from, your time zone and what times you are on. I will compile them all and standardize the times for easier conversion. It would be cool to see how many active guys we have and where they are from.

Nice.
Everyone needs to read this!

I know evil and I are on the "outs" a bit with catching up with you lot, but it will still be interesting to see if we can catch people on weekends and stuff.

Will PM you.

Any recomended apps on android for tunes? I remember someone telling me about a tuning spreadsheet type program on iphone, is there one for android worth buying?

Any recomended apps on android for tunes? I remember someone telling me about a tuning spreadsheet type program on iphone, is there one for android worth buying?

The free one on FM.net is good for Excel.
Just search FM.net for it.

It does set up base tunes, but they are usually still in need of tweaking to completely sus it out.

Not sure about android though, sorry, but I do have the FM4 tune app for iPhone, again, it's not perfect, just good for base tuning.

Here's the android one; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flamefrontstudios.forzatune&feature=search_result

And the FREE excel one; http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5527292.aspx

saladine1

Isn't the Aston Martin V600 handling very bad? I thought it would be better based in reviews of the car.

I was a little surprised with this one. I too thought it'll be a nice handling car even with the extra weight, but it's a bit of a dog if i'm honest. Even with some handling upgrades and some fine tuning, it still doesn't feel good...
Sounds great though!

Mascot

Holy crap. With no recent news about the Clubsport Shifter I just priced up a Frex Hshift+, and it comes to around £320 (€400), plus import tax, plus delivery. I think my modified Porsche shifter will be more than adequate for the time being.

Amar, you use a Frex. I know they are beautifully engineered, but can they really be worth the colossal expense?

BearChair

Since the rumor is that next month will be the final DLC car pack is there anything that you would like to see in the pack or a general theme that you would like it to have.

Personally, I would like some more old school Japanese cars. Perhaps an 80s Supra, Toyota Sport 800, Honda Beat or Diahatsu Copen.

T10 has been giving us a lot of British sports cars in the last few packs, and I'd like them to to finish out the important ones and add an old Morgan 4+4 or Triumph TR3.

Personally, I'd like a Citroën 2CV as well.

SarBear

Since the rumor is that next month will be the final DLC car pack is there anything that you would like to see in the pack or a general theme that you would like it to have.

Personally, I would like some more American cars. Perhaps an 04 MUSTANG Cobra, Shelby Supersnake, 12 Boss 302, or Roush 427R.

T10 has been giving us a lot of British sports cars in the last few packs, and I'd like them to focus on the important native cars and add an old 67 Elenor GT500.

Personally, I'd like a 2010 Saleen S281.

Fucking fixed for the sake of humanity!!!!!!!!!11111!

I like the idea of Eleanor, I actually put forward a suggestion in the GRom/Saladine initiative that we should get certain movie cars, I'm sure we can all think of a handful of movie cars that we would kill to be able to drive (I'm looking at you 1966 Bat mobile, dog van from Dumb n Dumber) and T10 would do a wicked job of bringing them to life for us.

Bonus (shameless plug) of a photo:

iHuFy3Ionc1QG

Hope you guys managed to grab one.

Mascot

I like the idea of Eleanor, I actually put forward a suggestion in the GRom/Saladine initiative that we should get certain movie cars, I'm sure we can all think of a handful of movie cars that we would kill to be able to drive (I'm looking at you 1966 Bat mobile, dog van from Dumb n Dumber) and T10 would do a wicked job of bringing them to life for us.

Absolutely. In Horizon. Along with Soccer and Bowling. And the Warthog.

I'd personally prefer it if all the novelty shit was kept out of Forza Motorsport altogether so that Turn 10 can make it a credible racing simulator.

One of the best things for me about Forza Horizon is that it now provides a dumping ground for all the unnecessary gimmicky crap that detracts from the motorsport aspects of the franchise.

Sadly, the vocal majority over on .net seem to love all of that bollocks.

I'd personally prefer it if all the novelty shit was kept out of Forza Motorsport altogether so the Turn 10 can make it a credible racing simulator.

One of the best things for me about Forza Horizon is that it now provides a dumping ground for all the unnecessary gimmicky crap that detracts from the motorsport aspects of the franchise. 

How does this "shit" I suggested do a disservice to the automotive community - in fact, I think it would pay it a bit of respect.

I admit, the dumb n dumber van was a tad tongue-in-cheek, but where would we be today if movies didn't pay homage to the automobile and turn movie lover to car lover and vice versa? Mad max, Bullit, Vanishing Point, Back to the Future, Starsky and Hutch, ok Bat Man (to a only very slightly lesser extent), even ZZ Top's Eliminator.....

I know personally if someone mentions one of these movies I associate the car first.

I don't see why this would detract or detour from what T10 have implemented into their ethos for a few versions now.

If you really are a car nut, these things seem obvious and go hand-in-hand.

I kind of agree in a way, if they are trying to sell us a "Racing Simulator", then they are still a ways off, and maybe including these cars in a career mode might be silly, but I'd sure as heck like to cruise around in the Blues Brothers car for shits...

Just my opinion though.

Mascot

Driving around in the Blues Brothers car (or even the D&D dogmobile) might well be fun, but is it really appropriate for a racing sim, especially when there is now an arcade outlet (Horizon) tailor-made for the less serious stuff?

I'm not necessarily advocating eliminating this kind of stuff altogether, just keep it in an appropriate location.

Remember the (correct, IMO) outcry when Soccer and Bowling were announced for FM4? Does anyone really think these added legitimacy to the package, added weight to it's claims as a credible racing simulator? Remember too that these things draw significantly on developer resources. I've always wondered what was cut (Rio? Blue Mountain?) to make room for them.

I've said it before, but if it's Dan's vision to make Forza a car game that is everything to everybody, then there's real danger it'll end up being nothing to nobody.

Maybe a little more focus is required, who knows.

Snubbers

Driving around in the Blues Brothers car (or even the D&D dogmobile) might well be fun, but is it really appropriate for a racing sim, especially when there is now an arcade outlet (Horizon) tailor-made for the less serious stuff?

I'm not necessarily advocating eliminating this kind of stuff altogether, just keep it in an appropriate location.

Remember the (correct, IMO) outcry when Soccer and Bowling were announced for FM4? Does anyone really think these added legitimacy to the package, added weight to it's claims as a credible racing simulator? Remember too that these things draw significantly on developer resources. I've always wondered what was cut (Rio? Blue Mountain?) to make room for them.

I've said it before, but if it's Dan's vision to make Forza a car game that is everything to everybody, then there's real danger it'll end up being nothing to nobody.

Maybe a little more focus is required, who knows.

RacePro was the epitomy of 'focussed' and that didn't get it very far.

IMO, people cry out for this uber serious racing sim, but it always ends up being so dry, no one wants it..

There is lots in FM that I would never dream of using, but I know lots of people that do, and it keeps the community going..

So I'm happy for a bit of fluff and tat, as long as it also caters for my needs as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
RacePro was the epitomy of 'focussed' and that didn't get it very far.

IMO, people cry out for this uber serious racing sim, but it always ends up being so dry, no one wants it..

There is lots in FM that I would never dream of using, but I know lots of people that do, and it keeps the community going..

So I'm happy for a bit of fluff and tat, as long as it also caters for my needs as well.
Variety is important, but there's a little too much fluff now I think. If you're going to name your game 'Forza Motorsport', I think you should put a bit more of your attention into the actual racing experience, which has gone largely ignored for a while now.

The game has to sell well, so its never going to be a purely sim focused game like RacePro(which had problems going beyond just its niche audience), but perhaps they should start to really refine the added aspects they've put in instead of just half-assing them and then focusing on adding in another half-assed feature. Its becoming a little too watered down now and while its still the best racing game overall(in my opinion), I do fear the direction things are heading.

shinnn

I'd personally prefer it if all the novelty shit was kept out of Forza Motorsport altogether so that Turn 10 can make it a credible racing simulator.

It is a TopGear related content, and it is not on Horizon. And I think they said its a multi-year partnership too, so I expect more crazy things based on TopGear for Forza 5 =p

And sorry but working on the tire/suspension physics, sounds, wheel support, alms partnership, etc did a better job on the racing sim aspect of the game than adding Rio or Blue Mountain.

Mascot

Variety is important, but there's a little too much fluff now I think. If you're going to name your game 'Forza Motorsport', I think you should put a bit more of your attention into the actual racing experience, which has gone largely ignored for a while now.

The game has to sell well, so its never going to be a purely sim focused game like RacePro(which had problems going beyond just its niche audience), but perhaps they should start to really refine the added aspects they've put in instead of just half-assing them and then focusing on adding in another half-assed feature. Its becoming a little too watered down now and while its still the best racing game overall(in my opinion), I do fear the direction things are heading.

Matches my own thoughts exactly.

saladine1

Listen fellas, I just got off the phone with Greenawalt and has asked that you guys have a Coke and a smile and just chillax.

He said FM will not be turning into a hardcore sim racer.

He stated that his vision of turning car lovers into gamers and gamers into car lovers will endure on with FM5 and that not only will car bowling and car soccer return, but he's thinking of including car darts and car gymnastics as well..

Oh, and he also told me to tell Sarbear that Mustangs suck dead dogs balls...

This is a good idea! Not to step on G ROMS toes, but I can add the list to my ForzaGAF Google Doc. Just PM me your GamerTag, where you are from, your time zone and what times you are on. I will compile them all and standardize the times for easier conversion. It would be cool to see how many active guys we have and where they are from!

If anyone is interested in this, please PM me! I only have two people's info so far.

Edit: Here is the information I have so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc

As a fan on Top Gear and casual gimmicky stuff I'm completely fine with shifting that stuff to Horizon where it would seem to fit much much better than mainline Forza. That way Forza 5 can focus its development bandwidth on tracks and recreating the professional motorsport sim vibe.

Everybody wins.

Mascot

As a fan on Top Gear and casual gimmicky stuff I'm completely fine with shifting that stuff to Horizon where it would seem to fit much much better than mainline Forza. That way Forza 5 can focus its development bandwidth on tracks and recreating the professional motorsport sim vibe.

Everybody wins.

Absolutely. A place for everything, and everything in its place. I've played the shit out of Blur, Split/Second, OutRun, Burnout, Stuntman, FlatOut et al, and loved every minute. In my humble opinion there's plenty of room for games like that and their OTT feature set - just not haphazardly slapped on to the side of a serious racing sim. It doesn't fit, it's unnecessary, and I reckon it cheapens the overall package.

I fail to see how iconic movie cars fit into the same basket as soccer and bowling.

To be honest, I've never tried any of that crap, as I think its just not my thing.

I mean they added "autocross" but it fails to capture the essence of that genre of Motorsport.

I don't see how paying homage to some very popular movie based cars and car based movies would be gimmicky and take them off the "sim" course.

I do see how you guys have aligned "Motorsport" with a very specific meaning, but I see Forza as more of a global "we know you love cars and appreciate some quirks; so here's an AMC Gremlin" kind of thing - not really a true sim.

So why not Eleanor?

Sorry if that make zero sense, I just woke up and it's currently 3 degrees C here in Adelaide.... Brrrrrrrrrrr

Forza is not going to focus in pure motorsport because thats way too niche, also im my opinion they should not, i have played 4 Forza games for probably over 200 hours each and im tired of single races, i want less of them, i want them to focus in track day, cones, race againts clock, 1vs1 events with traffic, passing cars, etc.

Those are the things that are making the game feel fresh and fun for me and it sad that its soo underused in Forza 4 event list, the thing is full of the typical races. Im not againts motorsport at all, i actually want endurance races (with multi classes) back and i want real tournaments of 5 races.

Forza 4´s world tour could have been such a joy to play but stupid easy AI and the lower difficulty ruined it for me untill the last 2 seasons when the game started to get a little less easy.
I want a real competitive races, i want challenge, i want several levels of difficulty (the addaptative never worked for me, even when i was winning every by over 10-20 seconds).

I really hope Forza 5 turns out to be like Project Gotham Racing in terms of variety of game type and in challenge levels.

Forza 4´s world tour could have been such a joy to play but stupid easy AI and the lower difficulty ruined it for me untill the last 2 seasons when the game started to get a little less easy.
I want a real competitive races, i want challenge, i want several levels of difficulty (the addaptative never worked for me, even when i was winning every by over 10-20 seconds).

Have you ever tried to get to the front of the grid in World Tour legitimately? Like no bumps, no scrapes no corner cutting etc in a three lap or so race? It's nearly impossible with the way the AI holds ridiculous lines braking mid corner and corner exit, it's way to hard to tailgate to pass with ramming them or having them ram you off the track even if you are over a car length ahead into a turn.

It frustrates the hell out of me so much so that I feel I need to resort to poor driving etiquette measures to get to first place.

Sometimes I commend the AIs driving ability and the challenge, but then sometimes it's just rubbish and pisses me off big time.

It is a struggle to complete the World Tour "legitimately"...

I'd love to see Forza 5 become something that can introduce motorsports to a wider audience and provide a more accessible approach to learning racing rules, etiquette, upgrades and tuning. On top of that provide the existing fans with more challenges to show off their chops. Take Shift's idea of giving each course its own percentage of perfect turns, drift scores and top speeds. Give us more background on each course and car, name the corners and give real time feedback on which of our cars and our friends cars have set the best times.

Also a driving school would be nice. Along with an AI guide that could analyze your laps and recommend parts or tunes, or even give advice on how to handle difficult corners or conditions.

As it is, most of this stuff is pretty arcane knowledge, and I've had to dedicate myself to a lot of out-of-band sources to even have the faintest clue what I was doing. Gaming is an interactive medium and should be perfect for this kind of thing.

Have you ever tried to get to the front of the grid in World Tour legitimately? Like no bumps, no scrapes no corner cutting etc in a three lap or so race? It's nearly impossible with the way the AI holds ridiculous lines braking mid corner and corner exit, it's way to hard to tailgate to pass with ramming them or having them ram you off the track even if you are over a car length ahead into a turn.

It frustrates the hell out of me so much so that I feel I need to resort to poor driving etiquette measures to get to first place.

Sometimes I commend the AIs driving ability and the challenge, but then sometimes it's just rubbish and pisses me off big time.

Every race, i hate damage my car so i drive every race without trading paint or cutting laps or anything like that. Yes the AI is frustrating but is not fast. I use rewind to fix the issues when they crash me but i dont use it to retake a wrong turn i made (unless i crash).

The AI is actually worse than Forza 3, its like they had to cut the some AI code to get the power for other features, in Forza 3 they were slow but they detect the player and other cars very well now they dont detect themself good and you can see them paint-trading like crazy in the first 2 turns.
In Forza 3 i cold drive beside of them, now they dont detect me well and sometimes they crash into my side.

The first season of the world tour is the worst, with 2 laps and almost no space to pass, thats difficult for the wrong reasons, after that season the game became really easy to me.

I really want a Forza 3 AI level but more competitive, like i say Forza 3 had a great AI but were very slow except for the 1 or 2 cars. Forza 5 should have Forza 3 behaviour and professional level+ difficulty as an option and please NO adaptative AI unless is optional.

Klocker

I'd love to see Forza 5 become something that can introduce motorsports to a wider audience and provide a more accessible approach to learning racing rules, etiquette, upgrades and tuning. On top of that provide the existing fans with more challenges to show off their chops. Take Shift's idea of giving each course its own percentage of perfect turns, drift scores and top speeds. Give us more background on each course and car, name the corners and give real time feedback on which of our cars and our friends cars have set the best times.

Also a driving school would be nice. Along with an AI guide that could analyze your laps and recommend parts or tunes, or even give advice on how to handle difficult corners or conditions.

As it is, most of this stuff is pretty arcane knowledge, and I've had to dedicate myself to a lot of out-of-band sources to even have the faintest clue what I was doing. Gaming is an interactive medium and should be perfect for this kind of thing.

Excellent ideas i agree

I have always said that Forza could use a real single player custom race editor, much like the online lobbies we could choose the AI cars with their specific tuning and liveries and actually save those settings to share them, where every race you do gives you money and experience.

We would be able to download a DTM championship or drifting duels in several stages or ALMS series, old BPR 96 series (my favorite) Im sure there would be amazing and we would have a much better singleplayer experience and virtually unlimited.

Man I loved how Shift made you feel like you owned your car and learnt a circuit.

Forza doesn't have that same feel for me. The cars seem disposable and the tracks don't take on their own character.

Mastering Bathurst in my works FC rx7 in Shift 2 was something else entirely.

Spot on to all of that.

Really my biggest complaint about Forza 4 (after basically going back to back from 3) is the piss-poor AI.

Career Event List/World Tour is uninspiring (especially when compared to outings such as Shift 2), but that's largely in part due to the lack of track variation.

Hopefully both points are rectified for Forza 5.

I'm loving this VW beetle. Built an F, E and A class so far.

I did an engine swap for the A class and didn't redo the springs with the new weights but it still drives pretty good. F and E class ones are real easy to drive.

Anyone got any good beetle tunes I can try out?

Mascot

I fail to see how iconic movie cars fit into the same basket as soccer and bowling.

To be honest, I've never tried any of that crap, as I think its just not my thing.

I mean they added "autocross" but it fails to capture the essence of that genre of Motorsport.

I don't see how paying homage to some very popular movie based cars and car based movies would be gimmicky and take them off the "sim" course.

I do see how you guys have aligned "Motorsport" with a very specific meaning, but I see Forza as more of a global "we know you love cars and appreciate some quirks; so here's an AMC Gremlin" kind of thing - not really a true sim.

So why not Eleanor?

Sorry if that make zero sense, I just woke up and it's currently 3 degrees C here in Adelaide.... Brrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry if my reaction seemed a little harsh, but your original post triggered my normal reaction to what I perceive as further dumbing down of the FM series through the introduction of 'novelty' features that have little to do with an authentic racing experience. I'd put movie cars into that same category along with bowling and soccer. I've got real concerns about the direction FM is heading, and wait with genuine trepidation about forthcoming announcements. I'm hoping they concentrate on refining (and expanding on) the basic elements of motorsport and offer a genuine race/track day experience, but it really wouldn't surprise me if the next game was titled Forza Motorsport: Wacky World of Automobiles.

Sorry, it's something I feel very passionate about.

Top Bottom