• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

watership

senador said:
I'm trying to decide if I want this game. I love Forza, but I feel its too soon (only 2 years between?). I didn't even "finish" Forza 3. I don't feel like I need this, but I want it at the same time. Why is it better? Better graphics and physics and better campaign system/progression?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just battling with myself if I should get it now or just wait.
Its not too soon, as Forza games come out every two years like clockwork. Too soon for you? That's something you gotta decide for yourself. :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
senador said:
I'm trying to decide if I want this game. I love Forza, but I feel its too soon (only 2 years between?). I didn't even "finish" Forza 3. I don't feel like I need this, but I want it at the same time. Why is it better? Better graphics and physics and better campaign system/progression?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just battling with myself if I should get it now or just wait.

Better everything, the gameplay is much better now. The rest is also much better too lol.

The career mode is much more fun.

senador

Banned
watership said:
Its not too soon, as Forza games come out every two years like clockwork. Too soon for you? That's something you gotta decide for yourself. :)

I guess I only say that because I didn't give 3 enough play time, which is my own fault. I guess I am also looking for justification.

Slayer-33 said:
Better everything, the gameplay is much better now. The rest is also much better too lol.

The career mode is much more fun.

Can you explain, or point me to something that explains? The things I've read haven't said much.

What makes it more fun for you?

I'm actually surprised how all these little improvements in career mode make it so much better. The affinity system is leagues better than leveling up cars individually. I also really like how they grade you on each turn. Now all these races where I've blown by the AI stay interesting since I'm trying to get perfect turns.

nagge

Absoludacrous said:
I'm actually surprised how all these little improvements in career mode make it so much better. The affinity system is leagues better than leveling up cars individually. I also really like how they grade you on each turn. Now all these races where I've blown by the AI stay interesting since I'm trying to get perfect turns.

Please tell me you are able to turn those bars off?

Mascot

If any UK GAFfers had the 'shippped' email from GAME yesterday, and your copy arrives today, please let me know. I'll nip home from work at lunchtime as ithe LE package will probably be too big to get through the letterbox and will need picking up from the post office.

Having said that, deep down I believe that the 'shipped' note was bogus and just means it is ready to enter the postal system on Wednesday for (hopefully) delivery on Thursday, which seems to be the norm with GAME.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
senador said:
I guess I only say that because I didn't give 3 enough play time, which is my own fault. I guess I am also looking for justification.

Can you explain, or point me to something that explains? The things I've read haven't said much.

What makes it more fun for you?

The career mode pace/diversity/flexibility, the fact that photomode doesn't feel bootleg anymore, seems way less artificial because of the new lighting engine so it's motivating to just stay in it if photos are your thing, the engine sounds are unmatched on consoles the PGR audio guy did a hell of a job with the vehicle engine noises. The race cars sound ear bleedingly beautiful and other cars that have unique engine sounds are spot on pretty much, shit is much more raw now and realistic sounding.

The driving/physics feel much more realistic as the tires gripping and vehicle weights seem much more apparent,, the subtle effects in the cockpit view make a big difference and the sense of speed is higher + they re-placed the seating position in cockpit mode to perfection pretty much the FOV is MUCH better and just seems right all the time from the cars that I have tried out, the graphics improved a lot more as the cars look way less aliased during gameplay and color saturation/reflections are much better + better lighting.

The tracks look much more detailed/sharper/have better color, the menu music is superb, the number of assists that you can turn off and bonuses you get is higher so earning credits is easier, the manufacturer affinity levels helps you gain up to 100% off all performance parts on your cars so that you can focus on buying more cars and not deal parts cash grinding, you'll just have to buy aero/engine/rims/drive train swaps.

The car clubs are awesome because of the sharing and competitions you'll have with rivals, the livery editor quality of works just doesn't look bootleg anymore because of the way the created art looks on the cars now for some reason, so you can recreate anything you can imagine and it'll look superb if you are good enough.

nagge

Absoludacrous said:
Yea, turning off Race Feats in the HUD turns them off.

Dunno why you'd want to though.

Thanks.

I don't want any unnecessary clutter on the HUD, especially not the games idea of a "good turn".

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! Who is ready for the release of Forza 4? I'm excited!

I won't get the game till Thursday though :( Target doesn't ship on release.

Oh, I want to trade my M1 for a CR-Z. I pre-ordered from Best Buy but they had limited LCEs. They still gave me the code for the BMW M1.

6232289727_2a94a6a684_z.jpg

6232238454_ebe8634d6b_z.jpg

6232324292_b8077a3a36_z.jpg

6230595029_8c538246b1_z.jpg

6230248220_72aa81f1ec_z.jpg

6229131015_9d0c611106_z.jpg

6224237429_49d67938b0_z.jpg

6227410207_11224ed219_z.jpg

6224250889_edff0d0af5_z.jpg

6225804440_f01c1e7c3c_z.jpg

6224034563_e2f08f3b18_z.jpg

Slayer-33 said:
... they re-placed the seating position in cockpit mode to perfection pretty much the FOV is MUCH better ...
... The car clubs are awesome because of the sharing and competitions you'll have with rivals...
In cockpit view can you actually see your mirrors? And do you have to be in a car club to use rivals mode?

Edit: Incredible pics drifter444. Whenever I see body roll I have to smile.

senador

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
The career mode pace/diversity/flexibility, the fact that photomode doesn't feel bootleg anymore, seems way less artificial because of the new lighting engine so it's motivating to just stay in it if photos are your thing, the engine sounds are unmatched on consoles the PGR audio guy did a hell of a job with the vehicle engine noises. The race cars sound ear bleedingly beautiful and other cars that have unique engine sounds are spot on pretty much, shit is much more raw now and realistic sounding.

The driving/physics feel much more realistic as the tires gripping and vehicle weights seem much more apparent,, the subtle effects in the cockpit view make a big difference and the sense of speed is higher + they re-placed the seating position in cockpit mode to perfection pretty much the FOV is MUCH better and just seems right all the time from the cars that I have tried out, the graphics improved a lot more as the cars look way less aliased during gameplay and color saturation/reflections are much better + better lighting.

The tracks look much more detailed/sharper/have better color, the menu music is superb, the number of assists that you can turn off and bonuses you get is higher so earning credits is easier, the manufacturer affinity levels helps you gain up to 100% off all performance parts on your cars so that you can focus on buying more cars and not deal parts cash grinding, you'll just have to buy aero/engine/rims/drive train swaps.

The car clubs are awesome because of the sharing and competitions you'll have with rivals, the livery editor quality of works just doesn't look bootleg anymore because of the way the created art looks on the cars now for some reason, so you can recreate anything you can imagine and it'll look superb if you are good enough.

<3. Wow thanks a ton! This is what I wanted to know. Sounds great. Plus, someone said the leveling is overall and not per car? Hrm, yeah I may just order this. Thanks again.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
NullPointer said:
In cockpit view can you actually see your mirrors? And do you have to be in a car club to use rivals mode?

Yeah you can see your mirrors much better you are seated back now in a much better position lol, and no you don't need to be in a car club to do rivals, it's a self contained mode altogether. Just meant it as having inner club rival fun too.

Download the demo and do the Zonda rivals challenge, that shit is so addicting.

Awesome pics drifter, I like your style. I can't replicate that look I tend to do low color and less angled shots ;)

can you at least modify a mclaren f1 to look identical to a mclaren f1 lm? that would make my day-

either way im buying a 360 for this game.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
senador said:
<3. Wow thanks a ton! This is what I wanted to know. Sounds great. Plus, someone said the leveling is overall and not per car? Hrm, yeah I may just order this. Thanks again.

Affinity + Driver level, they gift many different cars at a time now too, you get a candy basket of cars to pick what you want, it's great.

--

Look at this player made car, very hot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31708433&postcount=1436

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That's fucking awesome ^

I wish I knew how to make shit like that :(

Best I can do is try and replicate race cars and take my sweet ass time being accurate with all the shit. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Gek54

I cant be the only one who thinks FM3 has the better more realistic cockpit perspective. Way too much FOV in the new one, same goes for most other racing games as well. .

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Gek54 said:
I cant be the only one who thinks FM3 has the better more realistic cockpit perspective. Way too much FOV in the new one, same goes for most other racing games as well. .

I don't know bro, FM 3's felt too close.

I love this new cockpit mode I actually use it lol

wiggleb0t

Banned
The only huge let down is trivial to some but jeeeeeez it's kinda jarring each time you start a race.
The intro to the race... You start off in this upscaled, filttered effect HD awesomeness... 3.....2......1.. bam! Visuals go into realtime and back to normal.... It so ruins the immersion of 'wow' thinking it might possibly look that good while playing.

After a few seconds though you'll forget and enjoy the visuals they're squeeezing outta that old white box. It still looks great don't get me wrong.... Just an unusual transition.

I expect that visual quality & some, 1080p 60fps etc come next xbox720.

Slayer-33 said:
Yeah you can see your mirrors much better you are seated back now in a much better position lol, and no you don't need to be in a car club to do rivals, it's a self contained mode altogether. Just meant it as having inner club rival fun too.
Sounds very good. I'm ready.

Gek54 said:

I actually prefer the closer in view as well.

supersaw

Can anyone confirm whether or not the virtual rear view mirror in bonnet view is running at 30fps like in the demo. I hope that it isn't.

Shaneus

How is it that there have been so many photos taken yet I've seen MAYBE two of the new (to Forza) MR2? It's fucking criminal and you should all be ashamed.

How come completing races in world tour isn't checking them off in the event grid?

Edit: Seems to be a lap difference between some of the early career races and their event grid counterparts. Strange.

Picked up a non-LCE copy at Walmart tonight, just waiting for the DLC to download now.

Can't wait to dig in, picked up a new controller just for this/batman next week (old joystick had 1/4 inch of slop :( )

Iknos

Gek54 said:

You are 100% right.

You can change it though.

So, near as I can figure, World Tour mode gives you choices that, while named after events in the event list, aren't those actual races. Unless it happens to be the right track/lap count, it won't check off the box. Doing the first 7 races gave me 2 checks and 1 race of progress towards a third.

Really strange.

How to kill 6.5 hrs till the store opens :\

Wish I worked normal hours so I would be sleeping, rather than trying to think of what to to at 3:30am.

soundscream said:
Maybe yours is magic :p

No, mine vibrate also and I don't have the Clubsport just the regular shitty one. I usually have it set to about 65 or 70 and it will start to vibrate when I press down on the brake.

On PC, you can used the pedals independently of the wheel, so you can used the Clubsport with other wheel since you plug it directly into USB port as USB device.

vanty

bloodforge said:
I actually prefer the closer in view as well.
As do I. Makes no sense why they can't just have a cockpit camera slider in options so you can choose where you want it to be.

EDIT: Or is there that option? Or is it just a trick like in FM3?

Gowans

Had a quick blast this morn, so happy the leaderboards and online are starting to fill up.

Looks like they have turned on the credits now.

80msp for 1 credit
400msp for 6 credits
800msp for 13 credits

Oh and you can now get your messages, rivals challenges and I can add to the car club from my forza profile page ;)

eso76

holy shit, one bigshot is roughly 24MB in size.

now, how do i erase it from my forza ?

also, my forza needs a function to empty all picture slots with a single click, takes too long to erase photos individually from the game !

Jube3

eso76 said:
holy shit, one bigshot is roughly 24MB in size.

now, how do i erase it from my forza ?

It gets deleted after 24hours, to take another one just take the shot and it will prompt you to overwrite it on the server.

G Rom

Damn, I can't wait to try the Big Shots. I may have my home connection up today or later in the week. You can expect to be flooded with the shots I took when it happens. :)

I reached level 51 yesterday and started the tenth season. I have more than 1.5M in the bank as I'm saving for the LCE cars. :-D

AMUSIX

OK, Warning to anyone who has friends or family who might play:

My wife way trying the game out earlier, just went to 'Free Race' and to 'Hot Lap'...chose her car, her track, and the game also throws up the difficulty options screen, which she set for her needs. I didn't think about it when I turned on the game a few hours later. Wound up spending 90 minutes tuning my 442 with Traction and Stability aids on.

Damnit, Turn10, if you're going to have the difficulty settings pop up every time someone plays quick race, then don't make those settings carry over into the Career!!!

Also, Turn10 REALLY needs to get the fuck off their photo-mode limitations. Autovista mode shows off up-close-and-personal camera angles in the little vignettes, and the materials look GORGEOUS. You WANT to take awesome macro shots just to show them off. You want to get in and take a shot of that red Ferrari header but you can't. God forbid you place your camera any closer than 5 feet.

Jube3

G Rom said:
Damn, I can't wait to try the Big Shots. I may have my home connection up today or later in the week. You can expect to be flooded with the shots I took when it happens. :)

I reached level 51 yesterday and started the tenth season. I have more than 1.5M in the bank as I'm saving for the LCE cars. :-D

:D G Rom are you making a Photo thread?

eso76

like i said...you'll be discouraged when you see how long it takes to render one.
Unless it's a problem with upload on my connections, this one took almost 10 minutes.
Also bigshots seem to have some slight aliasing. Not a problem since you're not going to use them full res anyway.

1080p resize

forzabigshotw70k.jpg

not a great shot, didn't really deserve the bigshot treatment, but anyway

Also, Turn10 REALLY needs to get the fuck off their photo-mode limitations. Autovista mode shows off up-close-and-personal camera angles in the little vignettes, and the materials look GORGEOUS. You WANT to take awesome macro shots just to show them off. You want to get in and take a shot of that red Ferrari header but you can't. God forbid you place your camera any closer than 5 feet.

indeed, you can get a lot closer to your car in regular photomode than autovista, what the hell ?

G Rom

Yeah I'll probably make it if no one does but it won't be until I can post from my computer. ;)
First rule will be the banning of imgur which already ruined too many GT5 photos.

AMUSIX

eso76 said:
indeed, you can get a lot closer to your car in regular photomode than autovista, what the hell ?
Well, Turn10 wouldn't want to do anything foolish, like show off all the detail work they did in autovista...

Izayoi

Banned
G Rom said:
Yeah I'll probably make it if no one does but it won't be until I can post from my computer. ;)
First rule will be the banning of imgur which already ruined too many GT5 photos.
Everything except abload and dropbox should be banned.

Top Bottom