• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

So, with the exception of the Kinect cheevo, I've got all the accolades except one, drive on all tracks.

Any tips?! Is there a quick checklist of tracks that appear in the Event List, so I know which ones I should be aiming for that you'd normally miss? Any experience from you guys, knowing which one(s) you had left?

I figure if I haven't gotten them at level 268 and over 1900 races, I'm not going to just stumble across them.

EDIT: Thinking about it, there's drag strip/tracks as well isn't there? I bet I haven't done them either.

Now I get why Spa and Mt Panorama are so widely (and wildly) requested.

Spa was one of the best additions in GT5 as well. Just awesome.

Did anything come of that database of gamerIDs that Shortt Sirket was putting together? Or did everyone pass on it?

I'd like to add some more GAF crew to my list so I've got some more matches in Rivals.

EDIT: Found the post. Looks like nothing happened.. Sent you a request, Shortt.

Mascot

Absolutely. The only tracks I have fun with in Forza are ones with nice elevation changes. The flatter the track the worse it tends to look too.
Absolutely. That's why Hockenheim and Indy were such incredibly baffling inclusions in FM4. Decisions like this really makes me question Turn 10's thinking, and how much they really do have their finger on the pulse regarding consumer opinion.

I'll never forget the Hockenheim 'making of' video where one of the devs seemed somehow PROUD of how flat the track was.

TJP

New track(s) will come in FM5; I see little point waiting for track DLC in FM4 8(

Shift 2 had an excellent track selection helped by the fact SMS like to reuse tracks from GTR 1+2 and GT Legends. Many of the same tracks are in pCARS too.

Mascot

I wonder if FM5 will have a 3D option?

I've been reading very positive comments on other forums about how 3D enhances some PC racing games by really helping with depth perception, nailing apexes, sensation of speed etc.

I've been pretty much anti-3D in all visual media forms ever since seeing Avatar in the cinema, but marrying 3D effects with racing games does seem to make sound logical sense if it can be executed convincingly.

I wonder if FM5 will have a 3D option?

I've been reading very positive comments on other forums about how 3D enhances some PC racing games by really helping with depth perception, nailing apexes, sensation of speed etc.

I've been pretty much anti-3D in all visual media forms ever since seeing Avatar in the cinema, but marrying 3D effects with racing games does seem to make sound logical sense if it can be executed convincingly.

The 3D in Other Game wasn't really well done; crap graphics, shitty frame rate (I know these are expected side effects) coupled with very limited adjustments not in real time just didn't work IMO.

I watched Avatar at home in 3D for the first time (came with the Panasonic telly) and I was amazed. I really enjoyed 3D done properly.

I was hoping FM4 would have integrated the technology at the dawn of its popularity, although I only have the early component capable Xbox and thus wouldn't have been able to see it myself, but it would probably have prompted me to buy a bright and shiny slim console.

I agree and understand that SMS recycled circuits, but T10 actually cut tracks for their newest game. That makes no sense at all (yes, I am familiar with their excuses).

And although I like Hockenheim and Indy and Infineon, they are a bit flat and boring as previously mentioned, and they feel very sterile (despite the Dawn time of day setting).

SarBear

The 3D in Other Game wasn't really well done; crap graphics, shitty frame rate (I know these are expected side effects) coupled with very limited adjustments not in real time just didn't work IMO.

I watched Avatar at home in 3D for the first time (came with the Panasonic telly) and I was amazed. I really enjoyed 3D done properly.

I was hoping FM4 would have integrated the technology at the dawn of its popularity, although I only have the early component capable Xbox and thus wouldn't have been able to see it myself, but it would probably have prompted me to buy a bright and shiny slim console.

I agree and understand that SMS recycled circuits, but T10 actually cut tracks for their newest game. That makes no sense at all (yes, I am familiar with their excuses).

And although I like Hockenheim and Indy and Infineon, they are a bit flat and boring as previously mentioned, and they feel very sterile (despite the Dawn time of day setting).

Normally I'd jump on anyone that has anything harsh to say about Hockenheim......but in this case, you're right.

Normally I'd jump on anyone that has anything harsh to say about Hockenheim......but in this case, you're right.

It might just be that they are a tad sterile when thrown into the same mix as all the other same-same circuits.

I've been playing Shift 2 more tonight and suffice to say I don't remember getting this frustrated a playing FM4, but after a few tunes and steering zone settings its getting more enjoyable, it also depends on what car you choose and on what circuit...

Whereas FM4, you can just jump straight in and play, no matter how hot you enter corners or how hard you throw the cars left and right and mash the throttle..... wait, was I trying to make that a compliment...!?

SarBear

It might just be that they are a tad sterile when thrown into the same mix as all the other same-same circuits.

I've been playing Shift 2 more tonight and suffice to say I don't remember getting this frustrated a playing FM4, but after a few tunes and steering zone settings its getting more enjoyable, it also depends on what car you choose and on what circuit...

Whereas FM4, you can just jump straight in and play, no matter how hot you enter corners or how hard you throw the cars left and right and mash the throttle..... wait, was I trying to make that a compliment...!?

I know it's a Need for Speed game, but how in the hell did you manage dealing with the handling of the cars? One moment they're stiff, and the next you're powersliding. Almost like magic wheels or some shit. I'd love for the cars to have a more natural turning style ala Forza than the shit that's implemented now. Well, wait, as long as they don't take the OTHER GAME 5 approach and turn the environment and NOT the car. :(

I know it's a Need for Speed game, but how in the hell did you manage dealing with the handling of the cars? One moment they're stiff, and the next you're powersliding. Almost like magic wheels or some shit. I'd love for the cars to have a more natural turning style ala Forza than the shit that's implemented now. Well, wait, as long as they don't take the OTHER GAME 5 approach and turn the environment and NOT the car. :(

Yeah, I find with the pad you almost plough through corners and snap oversteer out. Not to mention it's nearly impossible to correct over corrections and mid corner mis-directions. It's how I imagine Chuck Norris plays Forza.

It's definitely pretty average with a pad, with a wheel it's a different story. It doesn't really suit my 'tap-tap' style of controller play.

The funniest car to see in replay is the Caterham. It's almost as if the wheels aren't able to turn in small degrees it's one extreme to the other!

Like I said earlier; correct car and track combo helps A LOT!

For some reason I like it because it's not as pretty or as easy to play as Forza, and I enjoy the whole experience whatever it throws at me (including the feeling that the cars handling changes race-to-race...).

Sorry, I still love Forza 4.

I don't like Indianapolis either. =P
It has the worst readability out of the bunch. Can't see turns and apexes until you're right on top of them, and jaggies come into play, especially when racing a full grid of AI opponents.

The only time I can do even halfway decent on that track is to fully memorize every aspect of it. Then again maybe I'm just missing some obvious visual markers.

I don't have the same problem with Hockenheim though.

DD

It has the worst readability out of the bunch. Can't see turns and apexes until you're right on top of them, and jaggies come into play, especially when racing a full grid of AI opponents.

The only time I can do even halfway decent on that track is to fully memorize every aspect of it. Then again maybe I'm just missing some obvious visual markers.

I don't have the same problem with Hockenheim though.

That's exactly my problem with Indianapolis. The track is very wide and lacks visual markers, and it's not a fun track at all, with it's uninspired layout...

It's so boring that EVEN the oval portion seems more interesting.

Seanspeed

Banned
Speedfreaks. :) SPD

Some really, really good racers there. Ryan Sn1pes, MountingBeaver, Faith is Sik (dude is nuts), Challenger 440. Good guys. Of course, they have nothing on my ladies at GAF. <3
Godspeed!

Dont kick me from your friend's list, though. I may not play much Forza lately, but I keep sharp still. I need a bigger harddrive. I had to delete Disc 2 and DLC to fit Battlefield 3 crap on my HD.

saladine1

I actually have started to like Indy. Yes, the track is hard to read but as with all tracks, you learn it pretty quickly. I wonder though, how do the NASCAR vehicles fair on this course?
Some of those turns are as tight as a nun's badger!

SarBear

Godspeed!

Dont kick me from your friend's list, though. I may not play much Forza lately, but I keep sharp still. I need a bigger harddrive. I had to delete Disc 2 and DLC to fit Battlefield 3 crap on my HD.

Nah, my friend's list will always be the same. *giggle* They're teaching me how to use the clutch, however. ;)

DD

Casey Stoner defends Indy criticism
"Just because of where the road course is doesn't mean it's a great circuit. Just because of the history of the oval doesn't mean that track we are on has got any history. I'm dead honest with my views on the track. If I went there to watch Indycar or Nascar it would probably unbelievable but to watch a MotoGP race, even the fans can say there are better tracks to watch and that produce better racing.

"They can slam me all they want but there are better tracks around the world and the history of that oval has got nothing to do what we race on. The corners get tighter and tighter until you are almost stopped and then you have to get on the gas and exit. It doesn't flow at all, each set of corners it muddles you up and then you go a little straight.

"I think even Formula One wouldn't enjoy that track with all the slow corners. They have to get downforce to make those cars feel normal and those corners are that slow for us, so they must be ridiculously slow for F1 cars. I think the Formula One opinion would be similar to ours. It is not just me, I'm just the only one who has voiced my opinion."​

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/s...ember/sep0611-casey-stoner-defends-criticism/

Watevaman

Question for VIP guys out there: if I buy VIP, do I get the cars added to my garage or is it like DLC where they're simply available to purchase?

I have almost all the DLC and I'm wondering if VIP is worth it with how late I am to the game and how little they seem to be giving out stuff anymore. It doesn't seem like it was with F3 and giving stuff out a lot.

Casey Stoner defends Indy criticism

I'm fine with Indy being in the game, largely for its historical significance. You guys know what track I couldn't stand?

King Cobra.

I've not given a single fuck since King Cobra and its serpentine ilk were cut from the game, and hope like hell they'll never find their way back in.

Everything said about Indy's lack of flow was compounded ten times over within those miserable stretches of asphalt. Yeah, they were labelled as "test tracks," but for testing what, exactly? Drivers' tolerance for aggravation while being subjected to corner after idiotic corner, simulating no conceivable set of road conditions one could possibly encounter on this planet?

Lapping those most terrible of circuits was an exercise in tedium and frustration. Bludgeoning myself with a tire iron would have been a better use of my time.[/rant]

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, here's what I hope makes its way into the next game, track wise:

Spa and Bathurst
Streets of Long Beach
Sugo
Sepang
Atlanta Motor Speedway
Monza
Imola
Watkins Glen International
The new F1 course in Austin, Texas

Mospor-- uh, make that Canadian Tire Motorsport Park would be a nice addition as well.

Also, is anyone getting a weird bug where the game freezes momentarily when you select "continue" after a race? It seems to occur frequently when offline.

Mascot

I like Indianapolis and im happy that it is in the game.
Can I ask why you like it? I can think of NO redeeming features at all. The "history" card is a bogus one because I get zero sense of historical significance from how Indy is represented in this game. There's no background, no virtual tour, no recreations of classic races. The infield plays like an anti-track, seemingly purposely designed to stifle good racing. And the oval is just that: an oval. Could be anywhere.
Sunset is already in the game and renders Indy instantly pointless, and a total waste of one of the precious few track slots.

IMHO.

Can I ask why you like it? I can think of NO redeeming features at all. The "history" card is a bogus one because I get zero sense of historical significance from how Indy is represented in this game. There's no background, no virtual tour, no recreations of classic races. The infield plays like an anti-track, seemingly purposely designed to stifle good racing. And the oval is just that: an oval. Could be anywhere.
Sunset is already in the game and renders Indy instantly pointless, and a total waste of one of the precious few track slots.

IMHO.

I hate Sunset, and with the inclusion of Indy they should have dumped it and given us another track. I see some say they can't get a feel for the track, I have never had an issue, just have to remember which road markers to break at.

On a side note there are people here saying Infineon is a flat track?

Mascot

I hate Sunset, and with the inclusion of Indy they should have dumped it and given us another track. I see some say they can't get a feel for the track, I have never had an issue, just have to remember which road markers to break at.
Dumping Sunset (an existing track, already modelled, requiring minimal update work for FM4) in favour of Indy (a new, yet very very similar track, but requiring extensive surveying/modelling from scratch, plus licensing fees) when Indy offers no discernable improvements over Sunset....

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Good choices. Although if these guys leave Spathurst out of FM5 I forsee pitchforks.

Oh and after watching this 911 play in the dirt I want Pike's Peak or some variant of it.

Yeah, Watkins Glen should be in now that Sears Point was added in Forza 4. Then the NASCAR road course trifecta would be complete (Road America now hosts an annual stop for the NASCAR Nationwide Series, so that counts)

Most of the others were in that old F355 Challenge game Sega made back in the day.

shinnn

lol its was a cockpit and gamepad

thrustmaster-1344987558.jpg

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YaOIDdDGa0

Engadget Hands-on
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/...t-cockpit-458-italia-racing-wheel-f1-gamepad/

Prices
"The F1 gamepad's up for pre-order today for $49.99, and the GT Cockpit can be yours in September for $300"

I quite like that Ferrari controller, it'd go well with my replica shirts!

Thrustmaster released that wheel before, minus the Xbox compatibility a couple of years back didn't they?

Would have liked to see something more like the T500 from them, can't see this wheel selling at all.

Im not 300 for a wheel without force feedback, i really hope MS change the stupid system for the next gen and use the standar that everyone else is using!

Shaneus

I dig that Ferrari controller too. Wonder if the feedback is just mechanical or it's actually receiving feedback from the game.

Top Bottom