• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

Holy crap-balls!
eleP4.jpg
With that dithering, it reminds me of playing a VGA-compatible game on my EGA screen.

paskowitz

Don't mean to question their marketing strategy LOL WHAT MARKETING STRATEGY

But their man competition this fall, has released multiple videos and a lot more info, but it's Forza so I guess it's par for the course (-_-)

You know nothing about dodgy marketing...
coming from a GT fan

SarBear

Those tires look fucking NASTY, bro.

(insert joke how it really could be the next Forza, then. lol)

No, but seriously, I'd be more than satisfied with renders like that. If.......we get Positano back. And, and, and.....my 04 Cobra MUSTANG

Pecan1

Banned
Finally pick up FM4 a week or so ago I've been playing a ton

I end up spending a lot of time in test drive just learning cars and that always turns into my brother and I sitting around for like 50 laps trying to beat lap times

Is there a better my to play this way? I always want to look at some kind of leader board that will tell me the lap times and also have the lap times for that car w/ the specific mods.

We get so competitive between the two of us it'd be cool to see say if we finally do a 1:13:002 around road Atlanta club in a stock s13 coupe on there. Whether that's actually a decent time or you know where that ranks

amar212

Im not 300 for a wheel without force feedback, i really hope MS change the stupid system for the next gen and use the standar that everyone else is using!

Apparently, it will not happen.

As elaborated by LogiForce on the GTP forums (post #7557), NextBox will probably use the same input system as the Xbox360 - Xinput (XID) instead of HID like PC and PS consoles are using.

1344854673.png

So, Microsoft is continuing its agenda of locking hardware for advanced FF devices and more advanced FFB libraries. Also, no parallel "wheel & controller" will almost certainly remain reality (one controller per profile policy) as well as limited number of buttons on devices (Xinput limitations).

Although I deeply hope this will be changed for the final console, my rational part of the brain knows it will be exactly like that. NextBox is again a XID device, again the countersteer FFB will be non-existent, again we will suffer the inability to use PhotoMode/Livery Editor during on-wheel sessions and again they will sacrifice potential sensation for the one whole genre on their platform in order to make money from hardware-royalties.

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

*thanx to Paskowitz for the tip on this matter

amar212

If there's a chance our current Xbox 360 wheels will work I won't complain.

Proper FFB can be amazing but Forza's isn't terrible by any means.

Yes, they will all work almost certainly, no problems about it.

However, worth noticing is how Forza is not the only driving game on Xbox platform and how Forza 4 is the only current game in entire X360 lineup that have FFB effects/degree-support comparable to games on either PC/PS consoles.

Multiplatform driving games on X360 - Dirt 3 and F1 2011 for example - can't even compare to their HID-counterparts, either by FFB sensation or 900 degree support. And 900-degree support is another part of *problem* related to Xinput.

Worth noticing is how FFB/degree-support in FM4 is absolutely custom-tailored for FM4. So there is no unique "SDK" solution and even 900-degree support is pretty much *emulated* from step-analogue movements of X-axis and not made native. Turn10 and Fanatec worked on that solution after initial problems and resolved it with the first title update. But all that FFB/900 capabilities are made exclusive to FM4 only.

I hope it will be made unique for the next generation Xbox, only time will tell.

Is there a better my to play this way? I always want to look at some kind of leader board that will tell me the lap times and also have the lap times for that car w/ the specific mods.

Don't think so. There's a leaderboard for every track/class combination though. Also, you may enjoy Rivals mode.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

As elaborated by LogiForce on the GTP forums (post #7557), NextBox will probably use the same input system as the Xbox360 - Xinput (XID) instead of HID like PC and PS consoles are using.

1344854673.png

So, Microsoft is continuing its agenda of locking hardware for advanced FF devices and more advanced FFB libraries. Also, no parallel "wheel & controller" will almost certainly remain reality (one controller per profile policy) as well as limited number of buttons on devices (Xinput limitations).

Although I deeply hope this will be changed for the final console, my rational part of the brain knows it will be exactly like that. NextBox is again a XID device, again the countersteer FFB will be non-existent, again we will suffer the inability to use PhotoMode/Livery Editor during on-wheel sessions and again they will sacrifice potential sensation for the one whole genre on their platform in order to make money from hardware-royalties.

ahhh fucking bullshit.

u should repost in the next-gen rumors thread.

Mascot

Crossing fingers for the type 14 Karmann Ghia, but Dan still hates me because of the whole King Leonidas thing. He'll probably give us the type 34 just to spite me.

microtubule

Ohhhh Karmann Ghia would be nice.

Also a reminder....
youshallnotpass-dangxk61.jpg

however T10 should send FM4 DLC out with a bang and troll everyone with at least one track from FM3 that was removed in 4.

:edit:

In case you missed it the May TopGear pack is on sale starting today at 50% off (280 points) *more info at majornelson.com

addyb

Got this game coming in a few days. I haven't touched a forza since the original so looking forward to it. Ive got back into my racing games recently and I'm in a bit of a lull gaming wise so need something like this to get my teeth into.

How does this game honestly compare to GT5? That was the last sim type racer I played ( finished half of it)

Is the career mode as big/bigger in forza? Also are there daily/weekly challenges like what GT5 offered?

Finally as im no racing expert what aids should I have on or is that just a case of experimenting for myself? Are the rewards greater for using less aids etc?

Apologies for all the questions. Just want an honest unbiased view compared to GT. I did really enjoy that. ( For the most part)

Watevaman

Got this game coming in a few days. I haven't touched a forza since the original so looking forward to it. Ive got back into my racing games recently and I'm in a bit of a lull gaming wise so need something like this to get my teeth into.

How does this game honestly compare to GT5? That was the last sim type racer I played ( finished half of it)

Is the career mode as big/bigger in forza? Also are there daily/weekly challenges like what GT5 offered?

Finally as im no racing expert what aids should I have on or is that just a case of experimenting for myself? Are the rewards greater for using less aids etc?

Apologies for all the questions. Just want an honest unbiased view compared to GT. I did really enjoy that. ( For the most part)

-Compared to GT5 it doesn't feel too different. I personally feel the tires more and get more feedback for when my car is losing grip then I do playing GT5.

-The career mode is very large, but the races are typically shorter. I've been playing for a week and am in the last season (coming home from work playing ~4 hours a night), but there are still a ton of events on the main event list. I don't believe I saw any endurance races, so you don't have to worry about those.

-I'd experiment for yourself what driving aids are necessary. I would say for the inexperienced, TCS would help. If you're good on the triggers you might not need either TCS or ABS. There are also rewards for using less aids. The only "aids" I have on are rewind (honestly a necessity with the way the AI behaves sometimes) and I'm not using a clutch. With those, I get a 140% bonus in career mode (would be 115% in regular events).

Klocker

for FM5 I need

1) Bio and history of each car to read about (with real pics please)

2) be able to select a car in garage and launch any matching events directly

3) have a ghost (best time) for EACH CAR for every track and an easy way to track each track and best with a note of the class and power of each at the time record was set

op_ivy

go without driving aids, just turn on rewind and drop the difficulty until you adjust. it may take a while to get used to managing your braking and throttle, but its vastly more satisfying to play this way.

addyb

Thanks for the info guys. Can anyone tell me more about the rivals mode and what it entails. Is it basically competing against your friends times?

I'll only be playing around an hour or so at night so it should last me a while :)

Has anyone seen this? G27 pedals on MS Wireless wheel while looking for mods to the stock MS FFB wheel i stumbled onto this, tried it and it worked! i can finally trail brake and have precise throttle control it makes forza that bit better. I tried this out with a stock Rj11 phone cable that i bought just for this mod and got some DB9 connectors and it worked beautifully with my G27 pedals.

Good news about September getting DLC too, it's not over yet :)

In case you missed it the May TopGear pack is on sale starting today at 50% off (280 points) *more info at majornelson.com

Awesome! It's like the only one I don't have, so I'm gonna grab it tonight, thanks.

Going to have some serious fun with tuning the Smart and the Ford TransitVan haha.. And that Hennessey Venom GT should be fun.

EDIT: DAMMIT, 260 POINTS left on my account haha..

Snubbers

1344854673.png

1. Whilst it's most likely XID will be the way forward for MS, the code screenshot really doesn't mean anything definitive, that is just the XInput library, that wouldn't necessarily look any different even if you added HID device support... Remember that HID devices such as Keyboards are already supported today..

2. From what's been divulged, XID is a more token based 'language' then HID when it comes to FFB (reduced bandwidth required), but that doesn't mean a translational layer can't be inserted inbetween.. the difference in systems would require the HID to be a 'service' in the background decoding and replaying the FFB actions as HID commands in the correct manner, but it's all do-able in my book..
(If MS would cell the authentication devices, you could use a small microcontroller with USB to convert XID to HID, I don't see any technical limitations other then licensing..)

On this subject, I note that the Tritton licensed (truly wireless) headsets are only coming out Sept/Oct this year, despite featuring and being shown off at last years E3 with a promised Dec 2011 date.. I keep wondering if they haven't been held back to ensure they work well with Durango which would imply it has a more advanced or 'different' input system to the current Xbox (hopefully higher bandwidth)

Just in case anyone is curious, I am going to start a new video series called "Kuraudo Nobor" (Cloud Climb). It will be runs up the New Hillclimb version of Kaido. This time I am tuning the cars up to their complete maximum but with no engine/drivetrain swaps. I am still going to use the No HUD/Rewind/etc rules, but these cars will be far from stock. I would love suggestions on what camera angles you like the best and what cars to use.

It definitely won't be daily, but I want to try to get a 2/3 a week in. I promise I won't spam the videos here again, but once it is up, I will give you links to the subreddit/YT pages.

Thanks again!

op_ivy

Just in case anyone is curious, I am going to start a new video series called "Kuraudo Nobor" (Cloud Climb). It will be runs up the New Hillclimb version of Kaido. This time I am tuning the cars up to their complete maximum but with no engine/drivetrain swaps. I am still going to use the No HUD/Rewind/etc rules, but these cars will be far from stock. I would love suggestions on what camera angles you like the best and what cars to use.

It definitely won't be daily, but I want to try to get a 2/3 a week in. I promise I won't spam the videos here again, but once it is up, I will give you links to the subreddit/YT pages.

Thanks again!

are you taking others videos too? also, did you ever run the snake charmer stuff?

op_ivy

Of course man, I would love to have as many participants as possible!

And I tried to start the Snake Charmers thing, but nobody responded or sent me videos. lol

must have missed that. this sounds more up my alley anyways - not a viper fan

microtubule

Yep - I went through them all. Doesn't seem to be any logic to it, unless May sold really poorly.

Not surprised if the sales for it were poor. The May pack was the weakest of FM4 car packs released so far in my opinion.

But for 280 points it's worth it though as I really wanted the Austin Healey, the Lotus, Hennessey Venom and Ford Transit for laughs.

microtubule

50% completed in the game stats, 200+ hours out the window. I have been using cockpit view the whole time along with manual w/clutch and all assists off.

Now I started using hood view (aka Beardy realistic view from FM 1 & 2) and I almost feel like I have the driving line on I am hitting so many turns right.

Anyways I really have to hand it to the interior detail guys. Top notch job with the FM4 vehicle cockpits!

SarBear

Thanks again!

So...

• No HUD
  • No Rewind
  • Cockpit view
  • No assists
  • No drive train/engine swaps

?

50% completed in the game stats, 200+ hours out the window. I have been using cockpit view the whole time along with manual w/clutch and all assists off.

Now I started using hood view (aka Beardy realistic view from FM 1 & 2) and I almost feel like I have the driving line on I am hitting so many turns right.

Anyways I really have to hand it to the interior detail guys. Top notch job with the FM4 vehicle cockpits!

Wow.
I'm currently sitting on 190 hours driven, and I've been 100% for a while.

Cockpit view all the way.

Xanadu

Banned

hood or bumper cam is always the way to go

Watevaman

This is weird. Even though the cockpit view is so sterile (no movement, stiff animations), Forza is really one of the only racing games where I'm fastest in it. Most other games I'll use the roof cam for time trials but I just really have a feeling for where the car is with cockpit here.

This is weird. Even though the cockpit view is so sterile (no movement, stiff animations), Forza is really one of the only racing games where I'm fastest in it. Most other games I'll use the roof cam for time trials but I just really have a feeling for where the car is with cockpit here.

The cockpit view does move--not Shift crazy, but way, way better than Forza 3. Do you have Cockpits Effects turned on in the Options?

Top Bottom