• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

The GMC Vandura is a really bizzare choice. Coulda used a CTR3 instead of a pedo van.

Otherwise, there's plenty of old favorites here, can't complain.

Grape Van.

9q7PA.jpg

How many A-Team Van "replicas" are going to be on the storefront day one...

I hope Turn10 was wise enough to put the Vandura model without side windows or the option to remove them and being able to make the EXACT same look as the A-Team one because lets be honest, thats the only appeal of that van.

I hope Turn10 was wise enough to put the Vandura model without side windows or the option to remove them and being able to make the EXACT same look as the A-Team one because lets be honest, thats the only appeal of that van.

For sure.

I was thinking as I typed that how inevitably frustrated a few people will be when they find out that the windows are unpaintable. I hope so too, so I can make Carl's Grape Van.

I feel there will be a few undesirable paint jobs as a result of the inclusion of this car, bans might follow, almost like the proverbial "Free Candy" bait car...

SparksBCN

Neo Member

I hope so. In Driver San Francisco de Vandura looks EXACTLY THE SAME (minus the paintjob) as the A-Team van, complete with the spoiler, wide tires, bullbar, sunblocker on the front window...

Shaneus

Aren't they all sponsored?

PS. Yawn. Maybe one car in that pack that even raises an eyebrow. So not only do we NOT get track DLC, we don't even get exciting cars to justify buying the whole pack. Well done, T10.

Edit: What's that Ferrari you've posted? I don't think I've seen it before but hot-damn it looks good.

Hmm, it's an okay pack but I gotta say we're basically getting 9 cars for the price of 10. The Vipers are the same car with only a slightly different livery.

Dat 300 SLR is awesome, though!

EDIT--Oh duh, there's 11 cars in the pack, not 10.

saladine1

2013 Viper #91 SRT Motorsport GTS-R
2013 Viper #93 SRT Motorsport GTS-R
1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
1958 Austin-Healey Sprite MKI
1953 Chevrolet Corvette
1965 MG MGB GT
1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR
1967 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

1983 GMC Vandura G-1500
2011 Citroën DS4

Damn, some great cars there!

Is that Van the same as this..?

x7HQW.jpg

G Rom

Quick thought for discussion: shouldn't these 'sponsored' DLC packs be a little cheaper than the regular ones?

Actually, IIRC those DLC aren't really sponsored. They just partner to put well-known names on it but the brand associated with each DLC don't get any money of said DLC.

BTW, nice one Amar ! :D

microtubule

Sorry to bug everyone again, but what replay camera do you all enjoy better for stuff like this? Do you like the cockpit camera, or the standard TV style camera? Or maybe the chase camera?

I was thinking about switching this one up to the TV style replay camera, but I am not quite sure yet. Just trying to get a feel for what people dig the most.

TV style replay is fine by me!

Its the freaking A-Team Van!

i002229.jpg
Its always been my dream to drive that A-Team van through the technical turns at Hockenheim.

Oh wait, that was never my dream at all. Wouldn't mind this kind of thing in Horizon though, especially if I can smash it through something.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry to bug everyone again, but what replay camera do you all enjoy better for stuff like this? Do you like the cockpit camera, or the standard TV style camera? Or maybe the chase camera?

I was thinking about switching this one up to the TV style replay camera, but I am not quite sure yet. Just trying to get a feel for what people dig the most.
I was just messing around with it and 'Slow Spin' is actually really cool around this track. Shows the car up and personal and gives some good views of the 'scraping-the-barrier' style action of the track.

I liked it enough to go ahead and make a run of my own. Its up on my Storefront. I can post details of the car/build when I get back on Forza. Was pretty wild with what I chose, I think. :)

Seanspeed

Banned
Not buying on principle, or cars don't appeal?
Well I had to make a choice between having all the Forza content on my harddrive or all the Battlefield 3 stuff since I've only got a 20GB. I chose Battlefield cuz Turn 10 have refused to do anything about(or even comment on) the inability to see Porsche's for those who dont have the pack, which makes racing online way more frustrating than it already is and I'm pretty pissed about it still since I pretty much only race online(single-player AI is atrocious). Cant even bring it up on the official forums without the mods locking the topic, either.

My roommate plays Battlefield, too, so it wasn't a difficult choice. I've pretty much given up on FM4, just popping it in every once in a while to get my fix and keep sharp.

I like the cars in the pack(Alfa and Benz especially) and probably would have bought them otherwise, though......

Mascot

That's a shame. I'd forgotten about the invisible Porsche thing - it's unbelievable that Turn 10 haven't addressed that yet.
I've been playing with AI set to Professional lately, and it's one hell of a lot better. More human. They are complete bastards to beat, but drive a lot more intelligently. If you don't let them upgrade their cars it levels the playing field somewhat. Worth trying.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's a shame. I'd forgotten about the invisible Porsche thing - it's unbelievable that Turn 10 haven't addressed that yet.
I've been playing with AI set to Professional lately, and it's one hell of a lot better. More human. They are complete bastards to beat, but drive a lot more intelligently. If you don't let them upgrade their cars it levels the playing field somewhat. Worth trying.
I dont have a problem beating them, necessarily. Usually I have to pick a car well below their PI to make it somewhat of a challenge for me. Its their behavior that drives me crazy. They'll brake 20-30m before they need to when they're in front of me, but if they're behind me, they have no problems braking nice and late or even dimebombing me. So obviously the AI has it in them to brake properly, but its setup so that they only do it when they're behind. And then there's corners where they just inexplicably let off the gas where it should easily be full-throttle. There's other little things, but basically, I feel like I'm just exploiting the AI's weaknesses(or dumbassery) to beat them instead of being able to have competitive close racing. Most racing game AI wont compare to a human, but FM4 just got it so wrong. Previous games weren't this bad and its really just not fun for me.

Mascot

It does annoy me when the AI touch their brakes in places where a momentary lift-off would suffice. The AI is based on Drivatar tech, right? It seems there's some weird algorithm in there that automatically applies the brakes (just enough to activate the lights) when the throttle is disengaged at speed. And why can't the AI apply their brakes progressively? It always seems to be digital for anything less than 100% pressure, with brakes flashing off and on like a strobe light. It looks odd and is very distracting.

The new AI can drive faster in professional but in my opinion is a worse AI than Forza 3, its like Turn10 had to get extra performace somewhere and they cut part of the AI rutines because they dont detect other cars in the track as good as they did in Forza 3, this is so easy to tell because at the end of each race their cars are all very damaged while in Forza 3 at the finish line some cars didnt even had damage or very little paint trade in the front or rear.

I´d love a Forza 3 AI with a Professional++ dificultyl, just a bit more faster than Forza 4 but with the detection of Forza 3.

The new AI can drive faster in professional but in my opinion is a worse AI than Forza 3, its like Turn10 had to get extra performace somewhere and they cut part of the AI rutines because they dont detect other cars in the track as good as they did in Forza 3, this is so easy to tell because at the end of each race their cars are all very damaged while in Forza 3 at the finish line some cars didnt even had damage or very little paint trade in the front or rear.

I´d love a Forza 3 AI with a Professional++ dificultyl, just a bit more faster than Forza 4 but with the detection of Forza 3.
I always get a kick out of reversing time a bit, going back into the race and seeing that one AI driver that just misses the next turn by a country mile and spins out into the dirt. Happens almost every time. I'm sure if one was so inclined they could cheese it to win world tour events easier.

I always get a kick out of reversing time a bit, going back into the race and seeing that one AI driver that just misses the next turn by a country mile and spins out into the dirt. Happens almost every time. I'm sure if one was so inclined they could cheese it to win world tour events easier.

Absolutly, that happens since Forza 3 but i´d say that it was less common then but im not sure, anyways, everytime that happens i rewind again and the next time im going back they normally act correctly.

On that note I picked up Grid for the PC recently and have been digging it for the white knuckle racing intensity only a Codemasters driving model can provide, even if its incredibly fast and loose. You will get slammed by AI and swap paint, but it feels a lot more organic, predictable and avoidable for some reason.

Mascot

On that note I picked up Grid for the PC recently and have been digging it for the white knuckle racing intensity only a Codemasters driving model can provide, even if its incredibly fast and loose. You will get slammed by AI and swap paint, but it feels a lot more organic, predictable and avoidable for some reason.
The AI in Grid is superb. Always feels like racing against humans.

Its more intense than Shift in a lot of ways, and that is high praise from me. Shift and its excitement is what got me into sim racers in the first place. And in Grid, the actual racing experience is furious and frenetic, and always worthwhile.

Is there no way to race a track in Forza for say, 20 laps, against AI? I wanted to play something more involved, nuanced and realistic, but the only option I saw was quick race. Am I missing something, or are we limited to 3 lap races and the like in Forza?

BADNED

Is there no way to race a track in Forza for say, 20 laps, against AI? I wanted to play something more involved, nuanced and realistic, but the only option I saw was quick race. Am I missing something, or are we limited to 3 lap races and the like in Forza?
Go into multiplayer, create a private lobby, set your parameters for the race, add AI opponents, you can even select for each AI the car, so you can pretty much set up the race you want.

Mascot

Go into multiplayer, create a private lobby, set your parameters for the race, add AI opponents, you can even select for each AI the car, so you can pretty much set up the race you want.
Just don't expect cash, XP or any manufacturer levelling-up in the process.

It's such a shame you can't increase the number of laps in SP career. Two-lap races barely get the tyres warm.

eso76

Don't care about the 2 (LAZY) vipers and the Vandura, but everything else in this pack is amazing stuff. Lots of beatiful classics and the DS4, finally.

austin-healey-sprite-frogeye-mkI-9.jpg

Just don't expect cash, XP or any manufacturer levelling-up in the process.

It's such a shame you can't increase the number of laps in SP career. Two-lap races barely get the tyres warm.

Actually you do get all of those things from that. In fact, it is a great way to get money. Set up a race on Pro mode with the Benchmark C track. Then just take the small circle around while the other cars take the big one. Even a 50 lap race takes like 20min, and you can walk away with some decent cash/levels.

Btw, found a cool trick via reddit today, not sure if you guys know about it:

The Trick

I have stumbled upon a trick that I don't think very many people know about. You can remove the turbo/supercharger from some cars. In order to remove the forced induction from certain cars, they have to be cars that come with either a supercharger or a turbo (obviously), and they need to have the option for an alternate form of forced induction. For example, the 1998 Toyota Supra comes with Twin Turbo's, but in the upgrade shop you can swap in a single turbo. The ZR1 Corvette has a supercharger but you can swap in a turbo etc. I will list all the cars I have found that this trick works with below, but first I will explain what to do.

In the Upgrade Shop, go to "Conversion" on the far right.
Go into "Aspiration Conversion" and buy whatever is available in there (i.e. Turbo, Supercharger).
Go to "Engine and Power" on the very left and buy the highest level of turbo/supercharger available (usually stage 3).
Now simply sell that part, and your car will now be naturally aspirated and have much lower Hp.

This trick is very useful for getting awesome cars into much lower classes, and also makes these cars eligible for any events (In game or Online) that restrict the use of turbos or SC's.

This trick will work with the cars below, and with any other car that can accept the motors from these cars. (i.e. Many Chevy's have a ZR1 swap, so if you don't want 638hp in that car, you can make it 494hp to be a little more manageable in, for example, an old muscle car).

Personally I enjoy many of these cars with lower power (i.e. Koenigsegg CCX, '83 Porsche 911 etc).

Here is a list of known cars that it works with.

BMW 1M '11 - B487 335hp to C414 253hp
Chevrolet C6 ZR1 - S633 638hp to A587 494hp
Ford GT - A578 550hp to A522 412hp
GMC Syclone - C358 280hp to E262 201hp
GMC Typhoon - C358 280hp to E262 201hp
Jaguar XKR-S - A524 420hp to B452 308hp
Koenigsegg CCX - R3712 806hp to S644 497hp
Lancia 037 - C362 202hp to E266 155hp
Mazda RX-7 FD - B441 261hp to C372 205hp
Nissan Fairlady Z '94 - C379 300hp to D301 236hp
Panoz Esperante - A527 420hp to B484 338hp
Saleen S281 - B447 365hp to C383 289hp
Saleen S5S - S623 650hp to A569 487hp
Saturn ION - C392 205hp to D294 153hp
Toyota MR2 '89 - E272 145hp to F192 113hp
Toyota Supra '92 - D290 210hp to F200 161hp
Toyota Supra '98 - B461 320hp to C386 242hp
Porsche 911 Turbo '83 - 296hp to 230hp

Hope it helps.

Btw, found a cool trick via reddit today, not sure if you guys know about it:

I saw that too, not sure I agree with the Auction House money making though. They are seriously big bucks he's talking about.

I have detuned the ford falcon race cars for s-class before and although that sounds great, it's actually not that fun.

If he's talking about leader board tunes, then he is further contributing to the reasons the community and economy is busted.

I saw that too, not sure I agree with the Auction House money making though. They are seriously big bucks he's talking about.

I have detuned the ford falcon race cars for s-class before and although that sounds great, it's actually not that fun.

If he's talking about leader board tunes, then he is further contributing to the reasons the community and economy is busted.

Yeah, I don't care about the money or even using them online. I just really dig new and interesting ways to tune the different cars in the game.

Mascot

Actually you do get all of those things from that.

Fuck! Really? I do apologise.
What the hell was I thinking of? Maybe a different game altogether.

So I set up an R3 50-lapper on Road America, have the best fun ever with my clothes on, AND reap cash & XP while doing it? Sweet news indeed.

I'm guessing I won't be able to pause the race if my phone rings, though..?

So I set up an R3 50-lapper on Road America, have the best fun ever with my clothes on, AND reap cash & XP while doing it? Sweet news indeed.

LOL. Yup, that is the main problem with that! Hope you don't need to use the restroom or anything else happens because there is no ability to pause since the game treats it as an "online" race.

Jamesways

Shift 2 probably. Custom quick races gave you little to no money at all. Unlike Shift 1, which depending on your level, gave you up to 40,000 for even a one lap race I think. Maybe even 80k, I don't remember.

Yeah, the custom Forza races are a lot of fun, and good ways to set the field for particular cars (like ALMS or LMS multi-class) AND you get some decent cash.

Also a great way to do that drive every track achievement.

Mascot

Shift 2 probably. Custom quick races gave you little to no money at all. Unlike Shift 1, which depending on your level, gave you up to 40,000 for even a one lap race I think. Maybe even 80k, I don't remember.

Yeah, the custom Forza races are a lot of fun, and good ways to set the field for particular cars (like ALMS or LMS multi-class) AND you get some decent cash.

Also a great way to do that drive every track achievement.
Ooh ooh! I bet you can recreate DTM races on the Nurb F1 track too. Mercs vs Audis only though, natch.

I prefer driving againts civilized, not douchebags like Grid or Shift. Toca 3 had a better AI in that sense but i still prefer Forza 3´s AI, problem is they are too slow.

By the way, EA blocked Porsche again from Forza Horizon, talking about douchebags, im not buying NFS Most Wanted because of it.

Thanks for this. Looks like this will be main way to play until Horizon ships.

Top Bottom