• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Mascot

Im going through the event list right now and Im hoping I dont see this happen to my save.

Had you not played the game for a while?

Last time I played was mid-January, I think. So not too long ago.
I braved the official forums but couldn't really find any information on it. I'm guessing the mods over there might be deleting threads about it. It would be sadly typical of them if they were. The career wipe has now affected several GAFfers so it's not like it's particularly rare. I hope Turn 10 aren't simply sweeping this under the carpet.

guest1321

Wow, it has been far to long since I've played this game. After really enjoying Horizon and trying out 4 again I didn't get the same level of satisfaction.

But courtesy of SeanSpeed sending me and invite I decided I would throw in the disc and motor around. Took 3 laps around Camino Viejo de Montserrat (Extreme Course) in the Huarya. Reminded me of why I spent so much time playing this game. Looks stunning and the technical nature of it is awesome.

Just thought I'd share with those that still hang out in here.

Mascot

Wow, it has been far to long since I've played this game. After really enjoying Horizon and trying out 4 again I didn't get the same level of satisfaction.

But courtesy of SeanSpeed sending me and invite I decided I would throw in the disc and motor around. Took 3 laps around Camino Viejo de Montserrat (Extreme Course) in the Huarya. Reminded me of why I spent so much time playing this game. Looks stunning and the technical nature of it is awesome.

Just thought I'd share with those that still hang out in here.

Career save intact, I assume?

EYEL1NER

I didn't know there were progress or save issues with this game or Forza 3. That is disappointing to hear because my copy of 4 will be here on Thursday (I hope anyway, damn thing is taking forever).

Was the reason for the career wipes ever determined?

Imagine my delight earlier today when I booted up FM4 to finally complete the career mode (and get that nice little cheeve), only to be greeted with this:

FM3reset2_zps5329ef7d.jpg

97% career progress and 120 hours of driving gone in an instant.

Oh how I chuckled ruefully to myself as my Xbox sailed through the window.

Welcome to the club! Great feeling eh?

Mascot

Welcome to the club! Great feeling eh?

Now that I've had a chance to calm down I'm not too bothered, to be honest. It annoys me that I wasted a lot of time doing events that I didn't particularly enjoy with the ultimately futile goal being career completion. I'll never finish the career mode now despite being so close, so that's been stolen from me. But I'll still have some fun cherry-picking and redoing the events that appeal to me the most, and getting 'new' medals for them.

What DOES piss me off is the total lack of acknowledgement from MS/Turn 10 that the problem even exists, and the fact that because I was personally affected it meant I had to trawl through the official Forza forums and read arrogant comments from the pompous and egotistic thundercunts they call moderators over there. There's NO excuse for putting anyone through THAT shit.

EYEL1NER

I got my copy in!
Just popped it in the Xbox, got into the first race, and damn. This game looks amazing.
I wish I didn't have to wait 6 months to play it on my nice TV back home, but it still looks good on the Samsung LCD I have in my room.
I can't wait to dig into it. And I really can't wait to get that old Impala. It is a '64 and I would have preferred a '67 or '68 though. But I am eager to buy it still.

DD

I got my copy in!
Just popped it in the Xbox, got into the first race, and damn. This game looks amazing.
I wish I didn't have to wait 6 months to play it on my nice TV back home, but it still looks good on the Samsung LCD I have in my room.
I can't wait to dig into it. And I really can't wait to get that old Impala. It is a '64 and I would have preferred a '67 or '68 though. But I am eager to buy it still.

Soon you'll get bored of the shitty career mode (if you're playing on it) and the crappy IA (only in the career mode. It works well on other game modes, I don't know why).

Forza 3 is a way better game.

Mascot

Sorry to hear this happened, for what it's worth I'll see what I can find out about a probable cause for the issue.

HeliosT10 - did you get anywhere with your investigation into the FM4 career save issues? Or is the official line from MS/Turn 10 that it doesn't exist?

It's been around five weeks and the silence is deafening..!

Always, ALWAYS love your work, HD. Glad to see you're still doing designs for them :) Any other teams on the horizon?

Nah, not at the moment, serious lack of time for anything lately :)

That looks awesome, HD, you still active in the FM4 scene?
I haven't played in ages and i just renewed my XBL gold to see what you have on offer!

Not really that active, you know I always paint but lately not much time for that so I paint for myself just not to loose the thing for it :)

Beautiful HD

Thanks a lot mate ;)

Nice design.

Might have to make a nissan just to get it :)

Thanks and you should ;)

The paint isn't on the storefront, since it's still prototype but if you guys want to drive the prototype version I can put it on along with the tune.

544124_10200673743156693_930259408_n.jpg

Hey guys if you want that Doran Racing Concept design is up on the storefront now, it requires a build but don't worry, I also have setup for it on my storefront.

This is Concept #1, will upload other concepts in a few days, have a look at it in game and let me know what do you think ;)

Cheers, HD

HeliosT10

HeliosT10 - did you get anywhere with your investigation into the FM4 career save issues? Or is the official line from MS/Turn 10 that it doesn't exist?

It's been around five weeks and the silence is deafening..!

Do you know of any other places where this has been reported? If I could collate more data on the issue it may help to spot any common variables in cases where this has happened. At the moment I'm having trouble finding any meaningful data.

Mascot

Do you know of any other places where this has been reported? If I could collate more data on the issue it may help to spot any common variables in cases where this has happened. At the moment I'm having trouble finding any meaningful data.

No idea mate. It (thankfully) doesn't appear to be too common. It's weird that it's affected a few GAFfers though. Maybe it is Car Club related, ie a few of us possibly shared a car with a gremlin hiding in the glove box..?

No idea mate. It (thankfully) doesn't appear to be too common. It's weird that it's affected a few GAFfers though. Maybe it is Car Club related, ie a few of us possibly shared a car with a gremlin hiding in the glove box..?

Yeah, I can't really seem to find any info on it but it definitely has hit a few people here. I think the main thing is that it seems to be happening after people take long breaks from the game (> 1 month) and then come back.

HeliosT10

Yeah, after I noticed a couple of GAFfers report it I thought I'd be able to find a few more instances, alas not the case. Any other GAF Car Club members been affected by this that haven't said anything?

Pepto

Banned
Yeah, after I noticed a couple of GAFfers report it I thought I'd be able to find a few more instances, alas not the case. Any other GAF Car Club members been affected by this that haven't said anything?

I just booted the game up and I think it has happened to me also. I only have a handful of completed races in the event list even though I have finished all the seasons.

Seanspeed

Banned
Been playing a little today, even took a shot to prove it ;)

8572701265_85faa561e9_c.jpg
Very nice. I swear Turn 10 designed some of these tracks just for photo mode!

I finally wanted to see what the Elise was like in competitive form. Usually stay away from leaderboard cars, but thought it would be fun just to play around with. So incredibly easy to drive!

2bjv0ZL.jpg

G Rom

Long time since I posted here.
Finally got my old save back after grinding about 20 levels on a new save. S good to get my 420+ career cars back !
I watched Truth in 24 II on Netflix this week so I was in a mood for some R18 action as well, took some pictures...

mobile.0x2kva.jpg

mobile.2s8kjr.jpg

mobile.1f0kvo.jpg

mobile.3fzk2f.jpg

Those screenies just make me want to go home and boot the game up again. Damn <3 Porsche.

Interesting to see if my 100% career still exists too lol

Mascot

I've just remembered (and I don't think I mentioned it at the time) that all my FM4 created liveries and other items disappeared from the storefront about a year or so ago. Don't know if this is related to the later career grid reset or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Shaneus

For those interested, there's a new video/audio file of Nick Wiswell talking about sound.
-Pacific Northwest Audio Engineering Society-
Recorded on Jan 8th 2013.

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/jan_vroom/

Really interesting stuff.
Faaairly slow on this one, but only just managing to watch this now. Incredibly interesting just how much detail they have to go into for every little sound the car makes and what needs to be applied.

One other thing I've just noticed (I'm only 30 mins into it or so) is that Nick points "Lance" out in the audience when he starts to talk about music in games. No prizes for guessing that it'd be Lance Hayes he's talking about. Still haven't got that damn official OST!

I'd kill for that music in a proper format :/ (or even, worst case, if it was ripped from the game disc in whatever format and converted to something I could listen to)

Mascot

Faaairly slow on this one, but only just managing to watch this now. Incredibly interesting just how much detail they have to go into for every little sound the car makes and what needs to be applied.

The attention to detail is admirable, but I still MUCH prefer the cacophony of audio overload the SMS pelt you with in Shift. Forza's audio still sounds too clean, clinically produced in a laboratory, whereas Shift's comes straight from protesting mechanical parts at the limits of their parameters on the race track.

Saladine's spidey-sense is twitching somewhere right now...

Got around to booting Forza 4 up again this weekend past.

Dayummmm, I forgot how great this game is!

Spent most of my time just Hot Lapping in some Porsches, but ohhhh so fun.

And thankfully my career progress is still all there too :)

They still haven't fixed that bug with Profile Level, I'm still showing level 19 or something when I should be ~274 or whatever. Guess that'll never be fixed now though.

saladine1

The attention to detail is admirable, but I still MUCH prefer the cacophony of audio overload the SMS pelt you with in Shift. Forza's audio still sounds too clean, clinically produced in a laboratory, whereas Shift's comes straight from protesting mechanical parts at the limits of their parameters on the race track.

Saladine's spidey-sense is twitching somewhere right now...

Forza has hands down the best sound samples in the business, However, I do agree with the clean and perfect effects sentiments. SHIFT might not have the absolute fidelity of Forza's samples but they do convey authentic 'racey' effects pretty well.

Wiswell mentioned something quite true in that people watch low res Yotube videos and think the distortion heard is what games should sound like. However, real life sounds might not have the low res distortion of YT videos but they certainly have some kind of rawness to them that Forza lacks one way or another.

I'd be over the moon if these were worked on:

Imperfect shift effects
Exhaust sputter
Clutch slip
Overrun effects
Rumbles,pops and clicks
Cockpit resonance
Reverb
Gear whine

Another thing I would love to see is the PGR style sound positioning mix. In PGR, if you are behind the car view, you will hear almost all pure exhaust sound and no intake/engine(as you would). It's a really distinct difference.
In Forza however, they've chosen to mix the engine/intake with exhaust much more for some reason which is a shame really. Hopefully, that'll be fixed for FM5.

Honestly, enhance or include those effects with the engine/exhaust samples and you would have the most amazing auditory experience ever!

Top Bottom