• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

3gkqOqy.jpg

Back to spending so much time in photo mode! But damn, forgot how slow the Forza servers are and how clumsy the upload/remove photos system was. Been sitting on the website with my tablet, so I can download the photos and delete them straight away from the 360 so the load times aren't so long.

SarBear

I would say you have a problem, yes.

Having a hard time finding the color I want, though. Grabber Blue, Red, and the Silver schemes are my choices at the moment. I really want the Black with Red, however. Still beating the dealership up on the price, though. 45k for a Mustang........I dunno....

Having a hard time finding the color I want, though. Grabber Blue, Red, and the Silver schemes are my choices at the moment. I really want the Black with Red, however. Still beating the dealership up on the price, though. 45k for a Mustang........I dunno....

You have to go with the Blue man, such an iconic color.

Of course, if you are going to spend THAT much on a Mustang, you might as well throw some extra in and get the GT500!

PS: We just moved into a new house in a decent area, so now you HAVE to come visit soon.

m23

Damn, I knew there was a Forza Community thread but never followed. Played quite a bit of Forza 4 last night, think its time to finally follow this thread.

Those posts about people getting their events deleted is scaring me....

SarBear

You have to go with the Blue man, such an iconic color.

Of course, if you are going to spend THAT much on a Mustang, you might as well throw some extra in and get the GT500!

PS: We just moved into a new house in a decent area, so now you HAVE to come visit soon.

The blue isn't bad, but it's so fucking LOUD. The Black with Red trim isn't exempt from being an attention whore, either, but it's a lot nicer. And I looked into the 2013 Shelby. Dealer wants 70k. No thanks. For that price I'd just buy a used 911.

Same here mate, it appears to be a lot larger than I was expecting too, dunno how it'd fit on my wheel stand without getting in the way.

I've grown quite attached to the plastic shifter so no big deal if I can't get one.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I really hope all this online requirement for the next xbox isn't actually true because I would love to be hyped for FM5 but I can't be if I'm never going to buy the console it's exlusive to.

Mascot

Same here mate, it appears to be a lot larger than I was expecting too, dunno how it'd fit on my wheel stand without getting in the way.

I've grown quite attached to the plastic shifter so no big deal if I can't get one.

Yeah, me too. How that thing mounts to the wheel rig is anyone's guess. The existing Fanatec shifter - especially with the knob swapped - does a fine job. Adding £200 to the ~£500 cost of a new console and game might be a little excessive.
Mind you, a lot of people think building a dedicated racing rig is a little excessive, so what the heck.

saladine1

Turn 10, for the love of all things horsepower, please include a working, fully fledged dyno for FM5!
Pleeeeeaassee!!

I mean, for the love of God, NFS from 50 years ago featured one.

DxC0HWj.jpg

DnQ3PDu.jpg

uPKowMS.jpg

HVcwfFR.jpg

I want to to be able to adjust AFR's, I want to adjust cam and ignition timing, I want to remap ECU's, I want to regraph distributors, I want to set boost pressure...etc
I want to tune for tourque
I want to tune for power.
I want to squeeze every bit of performance I can from my engine. I also want to see consequences from a bad tune in the form of degrading engines and accessories...
-Too much boost pressure for a given amount of time equals blown turbo/engine.
-Advance or retard timing too far equals hampered performance/engine troubles.

C'mon Turn 10, not only will this be a valuable tool and a challenge but will also be a party piece!

Don't let me down Mr.Greenawalt!

Shaneus

Turn 10, for the love of all things horsepower, please include a working, fully fledged dyno for FM5!
Pleeeeeaassee!!

DxC0HWj.jpg
This is something I'd like to see as well (and have been suggesting on and off for a while). I also wouldn't mind seeing the reinclusion of Drivatars for shits and giggles.

saladine1

I work at Turn 10 Studios and we are looking for an excellent condition 1995 ZR-1 to photograph to use to create a video game version. I prefer that it not be Black as that is the hardest to capture details on. Are there any 1995 ZR-1s available?

That's exactly what we need, more Corvettes.....

iEfqkGF.jpg

A celebratory drink?

You are a few weeks out still
Posted on April 5th.

Referring to Forza 5 announcement at MS event..?

Pleeeeeaassee!!

I want to to be able to adjust AFR's, I want to adjust cam and ignition timing, I want to remap ECU's, I want to regraph distributors, I want to set boost pressure...etc
I want to tune for tourque
I want to tune for power.
I want to squeeze every bit of performance I can from my engine. I also want to see consequences from a bad tune in the form of degrading engines and accessories...
-Too much boost pressure for a given amount of time equals blown turbo/engine.
-Advance or retard timing too far equals hampered performance/engine troubles.

C'mon Turn 10, not only will this be a valuable tool and a challenge but will also be a party piece!

Don't let me down Mr.Greenawalt!

You and me both man, these are the things I have been BEGGING for since I got into Forza. Being a bit of a gearhead, it is incredibly frustrating sometimes to not have some of the more "basic" tuning aspects available.

Did you ever play SegaGT 2002? It really feels like a spiritual prequel to Forza but it had some really cool ideas with the tuning, mainly with the "used" parts. I loved the idea of your parts failing during a race and you having to deal with it because you didn't repair them or spend enough to buy new. Hmm, I might have to go back and play it now. I loved how tires would wear over time, it really added an interesting layer to the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
If they included a dyno, it would probably be a basic one that some of the more 'hardcore' fans would probably just complain about. Personally, I dont want anything in-depth. It would be 'neat', but it would open up a million new exploits that would unbalance things further than they already are. They already have trouble balancing the game as it is, adding in a ton of new variables that 99.99% of the community wont have any idea as to what they're supposed to do with just doesn't sound like a good idea in the long run.

I'd honestly rather they not focus on putting in a ton of new requested features that get half-assed and instead tighten up some of the existing gameplay features and refine them and add to them to make it a game with less potmarks on it overall.

I used to like how sega gt 2002 handles boosters, you could change it to give more power but it would fuck it over in the long run and cost money, so you had to find a happy medium depending on the race type.

Stuff like that in forza 5 would be great, make your car even more of your own.

saladine1

You and me both man, these are the things I have been BEGGING for since I got into Forza. Being a bit of a gearhead, it is incredibly frustrating sometimes to not have some of the more "basic" tuning aspects available.

Did you ever play SegaGT 2002? It really feels like a spiritual prequel to Forza but it had some really cool ideas with the tuning, mainly with the "used" parts. I loved the idea of your parts failing during a race and you having to deal with it because you didn't repair them or spend enough to buy new. Hmm, I might have to go back and play it now.

Fucking LOVED Sega GT!

You see, that's what I mean. Games from years ago featured these great ideas and for some reason, haven't been seen since.
NFS UG with it's Dyno, Sega GT with used parts/consequences and boost controller, NFS Pro Street with an authentically styled drag race mode, SRS let you choose individual parts such as spark plus/leads, Blow off valves, turbo's..etc. It also featured a dyno...

If they included a dyno, it would probably be a basic one that some of the more 'hardcore' fans would probably just complain about. Personally, I dont want anything in-depth. It would be 'neat', but it would open up a million new exploits that would unbalance things further than they already are. They already have trouble balancing the game as it is, adding in a ton of new variables that 99.99% of the community wont have any idea as to what they're supposed to do with just doesn't sound like a good idea in the long run.

I'd honestly rather they not focus on putting in a ton of new requested features that get half-assed and instead tighten up some of the existing gameplay features and refine them and add to them to make it a game with less potmarks on it overall.

Well, instead of just graphs and menus, you have a working dyno. The painting guys get an insane amount of control and features in their livery applications. Not everyone can do those amazing pictures of semi naked women so they buy them at a price. What's wrong with tuners getting the same kind of recognition with their tunes?
They will also put a great amount of work and time into their cars. Not many people can do that either so you make them available at a price...no difference to what's been done now imo.

I agree though that half assery isn't the way to go. IF they can make the dyno work, even if it's a copy of NFS's which is the best i've seen, then why not?
But, if it's a second thought type of shit then no. That goes for drag racing mode too.
Turn 10's attempt in FM4 was simply atrocious. No where near authentic or entertaining as it could be. Either overhaul the mode to feature a more simulated approach as seen irl, or just cut that feature out.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, instead of just graphs and menus, you have a working dyno. The painting guys get an insane amount of control and features in their livery applications. Not everyone can do those amazing pictures of semi naked women so they buy them at a price. What's wrong with tuners getting the same kind of recognition with their tunes?
They will also put a great amount of work and time into their cars. Not many people can do that either so you make them available at a price...no difference to what's been done now imo.

I agree though that half assery isn't the way to go. IF they can make the dyno work, even if it's a copy of NFS's which is the best i've seen, then why not?
But, if it's a second thought type of shit then no. That goes for drag racing mode too.
Turn 10's attempt in FM4 was simply atrocious. No where near authentic or entertaining as it could be. Either overhaul the mode to feature a more simulated approach as seen irl, or just cut that feature out.
Somebody's lack of ability to paint a car will have zero effect on their competitiveness. Its quite a big difference. And as it is now, you dont need a top tune to be competitive. It can help, but if you're a decent enough driver, you can usually fare pretty well with your own rudimentary setup. That might change if you add in all these new engine tuning aspects. It could very well end up being that unless you're a good tuner, you HAVE to buy a setup in order to have a decent competitive car. It creates too huge a skill gap along with what is probably another steep learning curve, something that I dont think would be good for the series.

The main point is the balancing, though. Too many new variables in a game that already suffers from having too many variables. I'm not saying that the variables we have now are bad, just that there's so many that its extremely difficult to try and balance the performance aspects of everything. Forza 4 did a better job than the previous games in this regard, but there's still a good amount of room for improvement. Adding a ton more variables in is just adding a whole nother level of clusterfuck on top of that.

saladine1

Somebody's lack of ability to paint a car will have zero effect on their competitiveness. Its quite a big difference. And as it is now, you dont need a top tune to be competitive. It can help, but if you're a decent enough driver, you can usually fare pretty well with your own rudimentary setup. That might change if you add in all these new engine tuning aspects. It could very well end up being that unless you're a good tuner, you HAVE to buy a setup in order to have a decent competitive car. It creates too huge a skill gap along with what is probably another steep learning curve, something that I dont think would be good for the series.

The main point is the balancing, though. Too many new variables in a game that already suffers from having too many variables. I'm not saying that the variables we have now are bad, just that there's so many that its extremely difficult to try and balance the performance aspects of everything. Forza 4 did a better job than the previous games in this regard, but there's still a good amount of room for improvement. Adding a ton more variables in is just adding a whole nother level of clusterfuck on top of that.
You said it yourself. You don't need a tune to be competitive. Adding the ability to add boost or retard/advance timing isn't going to change that lol. These tuning parameters aren't going to make somebody a better racer. These tools are 'fine tuning' tools. They are very simple to grasp and understand. Adding them in will not create a cluster fuck lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
You said it yourself. You don't need a tune to be competitive. Adding the ability to add boost or retard/advance timing isn't going to change that lol. These tuning parameters aren't going to make somebody a better racer. These tools are 'fine tuning' tools. They are very simple to grasp and understand. Adding them in will not create a cluster fuck lol.
Very easy to say. I dont think it'd be quite as straightforward and a non-factor in practice, though. If its just a couple little things you can adjust, it might not be as big a deal, but all the things you were asking for I can see being a much bigger problem.

Again, my biggest issue would be the balancing, though. If they could implement a system and physics that didn't tend towards one more obvious solution with nothing being 'overpowered', then I'd be more supportive of the idea, but they dont have a very good track record with this kind of stuff(and to be fair, its an extremely difficult job). There would have to be actual trade-offs to consider and not just theoretical ones that dont really play out in practice(like RWD conversions reducing your PI but actually making the car faster as an example).

Stuff like this probably isn't that big a deal to those of you who mostly play single-player, but its all super important when it comes to multiplayer.

I have not played in about 5 month and I boot up the game today and find I cannot access the Storefront or the Marketplace. Are the servers down or?

Fucking LOVED Sega GT!

You see, that's what I mean. Games from years ago featured these great ideas and for some reason, haven't been seen since.
NFS UG with it's Dyno, Sega GT with used parts/consequences and boost controller, NFS Pro Street with an authentically styled drag race mode, SRS let you choose individual parts such as spark plus/leads, Blow off valves, turbo's..etc. It also featured a dyno...

That whole era was just fucking amazing for car customization games. NFS: UG, SRS, Juiced, Fast and Furious Game, Sega GT/Online, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, etc. They all did things slightly different and, while most were pretty mediocre games, they really tried to push new ideas and concepts to separate themselves from the competition.

I feel like both Forza and GT are starting to rest on their laurels and both seem to take less chances than before. There is so much about upgrading and tuning a car that is still untouched in games and I just wish a company would take the initiative and really push new ideas.

Klocker

I want 3d garages that I can walk around in and see my cars (by section is ok). And I want leader boards for each car or at least local records etc... Lots more stats of my cars running history on each track/event

saladine1

That whole era was just fucking amazing for car customization games. NFS: UG, SRS, Juiced, Fast and Furious Game, Sega GT/Online, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, etc. They all did things slightly different and, while most were pretty mediocre games, they really tried to push new ideas and concepts to separate themselves from the competition.

I feel like both Forza and GT are starting to rest on their laurels and both seem to take less chances than before. There is so much about upgrading and tuning a car that is still untouched in games and I just wish a company would take the initiative and really push new ideas.

Mate, great minds and all that..

The thing is, today's motorsport isn't motorsport without cars being honed and refined on the dyno. All racing teams don't just send their cars onto the track and hope for the best.
There's a tonne of work involved in getting the car just right for a given track or situation.

At the moment, Turn 10 offer great tuning, upgrades and customization options. But as you've stated, they can't rest on their laurels and believe that it's enough forever. They need to expand. They need to delve deeper in this aspect otherwise monotony can set in and the attitude of 'been there done that' prevails.
I'm not saying we need the absolute minutest details of accel and decel graphs or something. My previously mentioned tools are a great way of offering a little more control without being overbearing.
This doesn't only go for tuning,upgrades and customization. The expansion philosophy must extend to all aspects of the game. I've stated this several times before, in that Turn 10 at the moment has a great platform to build upon. The foundation is very solid. It's time to take it to the next level and veer away from their comfort zone. Let's take that "Motorsport" aspect of Forza Motorsport to greater heights. The sky isn't the limit. We can go further than that Turn 10....

527Nr20.jpg

In Dan we trust.

Seanspeed

Banned
I want 3d garages that I can walk around in and see my cars (by section is ok). And I want leader boards for each car or at least local records etc... Lots more stats of my cars running history on each track/event
More comprehensive leaderboards/record-keeping is high on my wishlist because I dont think its a lot to ask. Having just the local records for individual tracks has been done already, so please, bring it back. Its extremely useful to know where certain cars stack up on certain tracks instead of just always comparing to your one fastest car/time.

Along with this, I'd really like a lap sheet after a race. Not just fastest lap, but times for all the laps. Doesn't need to be displayed all at once, but the option to scroll over and press a button that opens up a time sheet for an individual would again, be very useful. Especially with the flawed validation system that likes to invalidate perfectly good laps and not count them.

3D garages like PGR would be amazing, too. And again, something kinda related that would be nice would be the ability to preview other people's cars while waiting in a lobby. Its hard to check out other people's builds and paintjobs once the race gets underway obviously. You can get a brief glimpse by looking around at the start, but thats about it.

More comprehensive leaderboards/record-keeping is high on my wishlist because I dont think its a lot to ask. Having just the local records for individual tracks has been done already, so please, bring it back. Its extremely useful to know where certain cars stack up on certain tracks instead of just always comparing to your one fastest car/time.

Along with this, I'd really like a lap sheet after a race. Not just fastest lap, but times for all the laps. Doesn't need to be displayed all at once, but the option to scroll over and press a button that opens up a time sheet for an individual would again, be very useful. Especially with the flawed validation system that likes to invalidate perfectly good laps and not count them.

3D garages like PGR would be amazing, too. And again, something kinda related that would be nice would be the ability to preview other people's cars while waiting in a lobby. Its hard to check out other people's builds and paintjobs once the race gets underway obviously. You can get a brief glimpse by looking around at the start, but thats about it.

This would be amazing! Especially if they added in graphs showing your gas/braking, along with your speed, around the track. So you could compare how you are taking corners on each lap and really hone in on the best speed and braking lines for the various parts of the track.

Top Bottom