• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

saladine1

We just need more MUSTANGS. All will be right if Turn10 can get that in gear.

I think we have enough Mustangs in the game.
Unless you want this thing...?

Uhbiz2Q.jpg

Shudders...

Seanspeed

Banned
This would be amazing! Especially if they added in graphs showing your gas/braking, along with your speed, around the track. So you could compare how you are taking corners on each lap and really hone in on the best speed and braking lines for the various parts of the track.
Proper lap telemetry would be pretty sweet, but its maybe asking a bit much. And the ability to race your ghost does kind of do a lot of what telemetry would do in terms of finding areas to improve. I'd enjoy it, though.

@DD - I stopped playing Career mode pretty early on, too. Stuff I'd do there:

- Having opponents worth racing is important. Of course its going to be boring if you're just cruising to a win at each event. So

1) AI that upgrades itself is a nice feature, but they should improve how they upgrade themselves(they pretty much just pack on horsepower at the moment). Or maybe the ability to choose how they're upgraded. Like, have a slider at the start of an event that picks the competition's upgrades on a scale from 'Top Speed' to 'Max Grip', so you could tailor the competition to use what's track-appropriate or matches your car's traits best. Being able to tailor the competition to your needs would add a lot of replay value, as well.

2) Improve the AI behavior, obviously. It was kinda bad in Forza 4 compared to previous entries. They were super aggressive if they were alongside or right behind you, yet really timid anytime they were in front or way behind. One prime example is their braking behavior. I get really annoyed when they brake super-early for a corner as I'm chasing them because it means I either pass them very easily or I slam into them unexpectedly. Either way, its not fun. Yet if they're trying to pass me, they brake late as can be, showing that its *possible* for them to be braking at better times, they just dont do it in most situations. Fix that! It would not only make for more competitive AI(I thought hardest difficulty was still too easy), but it would be more fun to race against them and would teach people better racing skills.

- Another thing to make progression more enjoyable is incentive. Forza gives you a lot of incentive, but the rate it provides it might be a little too quick. It doesn't take but a handful of races before you're knee deep in NSX's and STi's and Camaro's. Not long after that you're swimming in Ferrari's and Pagani's. Slow it down! Sure, its great when you get these nice cars, but the long-term consequence is that that 'carrot dangling' effect gets diminished too quickly, leading to early burn out.

- No super short, 2 lap races on tiny tracks. Loading times aren't great in Forza, understandably, so dont have people sitting in them forever only to be thrown into a race that is over in about the same amount of time. I understand the need to 'warm up' to longer races, but it doesn't have to start out at an extreme. I dont think 4-5 minute races are really beginner un-friendly, ya know?

- License tests. Dont need to copy Gran Turismo exactly, but some form of system where people can learn the ideas behind racing techniques. Driving line is good, but its not perfect and its not 'testing' you to improve, nor does it show you what to do around other cars. Believe it or not, people DO like tests. We may not have enjoyed school tests at the time because it was often about subjects we didn't much care about, but the desire for approval is strong and people can enjoy them if its about something they like - racing, in this instance.

I've gotta stop. I could list more, but these would probably be some of the bigger goals if I was managing Forza 5's single-player 'campaign' aspects.

saladine1

Proper lap telemetry would be pretty sweet, but its maybe asking a bit much. And the ability to race your ghost does kind of do a lot of what telemetry would do in terms of finding areas to improve. I'd enjoy it, though.

@DD - I stopped playing Career mode pretty early on, too. Stuff I'd do there:

- Having opponents worth racing is important. Of course its going to be boring if you're just cruising to a win at each event. So

1) AI that upgrades itself is a nice feature, but they should improve how they upgrade themselves(they pretty much just pack on horsepower at the moment). Or maybe the ability to choose how they're upgraded. Like, have a slider at the start of an event that picks the competition's upgrades on a scale from 'Top Speed' to 'Max Grip', so you could tailor the competition to use what's track-appropriate or matches your car's traits best. Being able to tailor the competition to your needs would add a lot of replay value, as well.

2) Improve the AI behavior, obviously. It was kinda bad in Forza 4 compared to previous entries. They were super aggressive if they were alongside or right behind you, yet really timid anytime they were in front or way behind. One prime example is their braking behavior. I get really annoyed when they brake super-early for a corner as I'm chasing them because it means I either pass them very easily or I slam into them unexpectedly. Either way, its not fun. Yet if they're trying to pass me, they brake late as can be, showing that its *possible* for them to be braking at better times, they just dont do it in most situations. Fix that! It would not only make for more competitive AI(I thought hardest difficulty was still too easy), but it would be more fun to race against them and would teach people better racing skills.

- Another thing to make progression more enjoyable is incentive. Forza gives you a lot of incentive, but the rate it provides it might be a little too quick. It doesn't take but a handful of races before you're knee deep in NSX's and STi's and Camaro's. Not long after that you're swimming in Ferrari's and Pagani's. Slow it down! Sure, its great when you get these nice cars, but the long-term consequence is that that 'carrot dangling' effect gets diminished too quickly, leading to early burn out.

- No super short, 2 lap races on tiny tracks. Loading times aren't great in Forza, understandably, so dont have people sitting in them forever only to be thrown into a race that is over in about the same amount of time. I understand the need to 'warm up' to longer races, but it doesn't have to start out at an extreme. I dont think 4-5 minute races are really beginner un-friendly, ya know?

- License tests. Dont need to copy Gran Turismo exactly, but some form of system where people can learn the ideas behind racing techniques. Driving line is good, but its not perfect and its not 'testing' you to improve, nor does it show you what to do around other cars. Believe it or not, people DO like tests. We may not have enjoyed school tests at the time because it was often about subjects we didn't much care about, but the desire for approval is strong and people can enjoy them if its about something they like - racing, in this instance.

I've gotta stop. I could list more, but these would probably be some of the bigger goals if I was managing Forza 5's single-player 'campaign' aspects.

Those are great ideas!

We all know the Forza career needs a major overhaul. It was boring as you can get.
The only reason I still play is hot lapping with the insane amount of cars and upgrades combinations.

I have to say regarding the rate at which you accumulate vehicles. As with Seanspeed.....SLOW IT THE FUCK DOWN!
I mean damn, give me a sense of accomplishment or something. Let me work hard for my cars and parts. Let me get to know a car slowly and intimately.
Sure, people complain about the grind and slog but just showering you with cars at every turn isn't the cure for that ailment.
The free upgrades and 95% off stuff is just too easy and forgiving. A challenge is needed in this regard Turn 10.
Personally, I love to grind, but if you feel that you should include something for those who want cars and fast money from the start, go the 'buy with token' route or something. But please, for the sake of my sanity do not do what you did with Forza 4...

Seanspeed

Banned
The free upgrades and 95% off stuff is just too easy and forgiving.
I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so easy to acheive. It only takes a handful of races with a car to get free upgrades for every single car in the manufacturer's line-up forever. Again, the carrot-dangling effect is taken away WAY too quickly. I would be onboard with something like:

Level 3 - 25% off upgrades. It doesn't take very long to get to level 3 affinity. Reward shouldn't be too substantial.

Level 7 - 50% off upgrades. Ok, you're putting in a bit of time with this brand, decent reward.

Level 12 - 75% off. Clearly showing some preference now. Deserves a nice discount.

Level 18 - 100% off. It takes some time to get to here, so now they should be well-rewarded.

I could honestly deal with spreading the rewards out further, but not everybody plays as much as me(and you guys), so this would be a good balance between Forza 4's system and something thats better suited for maintaining incentive over a period of time. You could even do something like:

Level 40 - All cars by manufacturer are free. Yes, thats quite a substantial reward, but it takes a long time to get to there. My highest affinity was with Ferrari at level 41 last time I played. I spent over 25 hours in Ferrari's alone.

I love the introduction of discounts for upgrade parts that they started with 4. It is nice to be able to mess around with the different cars without breaking your wallet.

However!

I wish there was a way to toggle those discounts on and off thought. My buddies and I used to run races where we had a set dollar amount to buy and upgrade a car. It always made for some interesting battles and was a lot of fun to see how we all upgraded our cars differently. The only problem is that it is impossible with the upgrades. I just would like a way to maybe just see how much the upgrades would normally cost or something because I miss doing those races.

Seanspeed

Banned
I love the introduction of discounts for upgrade parts that they started with 4. It is nice to be able to mess around with the different cars without breaking your wallet.
Yea, thats true. Maybe they should make it car-specific instead of applying the discount to all the cars from the manufacturer? I think its a bit much that I can do a few races in a Ford Ka and then get unlimited free upgrades for a GT40 later on because of it. There's gotta be a way of doing it that feels like you're earning stuff still instead of basically having everything handed to you on a platter.

DD

I totally agree with you guys.

I don't mean to disrespect Dan's work, but I disagree with him when he says that Forza should be about cars. He puts the cars as the most important aspect of the game, but what makes cars special is not the cars itselves, but what you CAN DO with the cars. Street cars are about freedom, and racing cars are about adrenaline and fierce competition.

With that said, I think that Forza 4 simply don't let you enjoy and learn the car. The game puts you in a two laps race, and then throw you in another event that demands a different car, and then throw a brand new car in you garage for you to use in the next event.

Id love to be able to get a GT3 car and take part in a 15 races points based championship. I want to feel like I'm part of something, to be fighting for the championship. I want to be able to set times in the qualifying, to fight for the pole position. I want to know that maybe it's better to save the tires and the rest of the equipment, or maybe fuel. I don't want a 24 hours race like there's in GT5, but at least a 10 laps race. Why not?!

It seems that Turn 10 was so afraid of the idea of the player getting bored that they decided to make a game that [honestly] looks like an arcade game. There's no continuity, it feels like a desperate host trying to entertain the guests with lots of food, movies, games, different subjects. Seriously, STOP! I want to slowly enjoy the flavor of the food; I want to watch that movie, so dont change to another movie before I finished the other one. Don't change the subject, I didn't finished talking...

Again: in my oppinion, it should not be about cars. It shoud be about what you can do with the given car. I am entertained with my current car. I am entertained with the current championship. I'm enjoying the race. So why speed things up? If I decide to change, let me change it. Don't force me into it.

I want to feel that I'm fighting for something. I want that car, so let me fight for it. I want a long points based championship, so let me fight for the trophy instead of pushing me to another event with another car.

PS: English is not my main language. Sorry if there's anything (or a lot of things LOL) wrong with my text. I'm here on GAF to practice with my [lack of] english skills. =P

Shaneus

It seems that Turn 10 was so afraid of the idea of the player getting bored that they decided to make a game that [honestly] looks like an arcade game. There's no continuity, it feels like a desperate host trying to entertain the guests with lots of food, movies, games, different subjects. Seriously, STOP! I want to slowly enjoy the flavor of the food; I want to watch that movie, so dont change to another movie before I finished the other one. Don't change the subject, I didn't finished talking...
Man, everything in your post was bang-on, but the bit I quoted is the best analogy I've ever heard for Forza. That philosophy also somewhat carried over into Horizon as well ("You have some credits, why don't you buy something new you idiot?").

DD

And since Shaneus just posted here... for Christ's sake, Turn 10, BATHURST, Turn 10! Bathurst, for Christ's sake...

Man, everything in your post was bang-on, but the bit I quoted is the best analogy I've ever heard for Forza. That philosophy also somewhat carried over into Horizon as well ("You have some credits, why don't you buy something new you idiot?").

Yeah.

I would also like to compete in proper race series— very specific requirements (street legal vs race-prepped, era, power, etc). Also, give the AI racing numbers. When making the textures for a car, add canned areas for era-appropriate panels.

Also:
Spa
Spa
Spa
Spa
Spa

saladine1

Ok, what's this then?

Senior HR Manager
Microsoft

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; MSFT; Computer Software industry

April 2011 – Present (2 years 1 month) Redmond WA

Senior HR Manager – Microsoft Game Studios

GM and CVP level support for multiple studio clients including Kinect Games (Kenectimals, Star Wars Kinect, Kinect Fun Labs), CORE Publishing (Gears of WAR, Age of Empires), Kids and Entertainment Studios (Sesame Street, Nike Fitness), Turn 10 Studios (Forza!, Flight), and 343 Industries (Halo)

Client groups include Design, Engineering, Production and other functions. ~ 625 employees in client orgs managing senior relationships with four GM/CVP/Executive level clients..

Air racing game confirmed!

Seriously though, imagine Forza but instead of cars you have planes.

Kind of like this:

N5rmqb1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxzpeFyFSQ

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Probably means the game Microsoft Flight.
I guess it would be possible to work on that whilst with Turn 10.

SarBear

I think we have enough Mustangs in the game.
Unless you want this thing...?

Uhbiz2Q.jpg

Shudders...

-_______-

I'm gonna rip your soul out your shirt. Seriously, do I need to give you a list of MUSTANGS that should be in this game? C'mon......and by the way, I established a long time ago that MUSTANG needs to be capitalized whenever typed. It's just one of those things.

Fastbacks...
SVT...........
Rousch......
Shelby.......

....let's not fight about it. Just agree.

saladine1

-_______-

I'm gonna rip your soul out your shirt. Seriously, do I need to give you a list of MUSTANGS that should be in this game? C'mon......and by the way, I established a long time ago that MUSTANG needs to be capitalized whenever typed. It's just one of those things.

Fastbacks...
SVT...........
Rousch......
Shelby.......

....let's not fight about it. Just agree.

I'll take this over another mustang any day

G2T4o2W.jpg

Mascot

Totally agree about scrapping the two-lap races in Forza. Five laps should be the absolute minimum.

And don't even get me started on the drag events being shorter than the time taken to load them...

Christ, I really hope they ditch drag in FM5.

saladine1

Totally agree about scrapping the two-lap races in Forza. Five laps should be the absolute minimum.

And don't even get me started on the drag events being shorter than the time taken to load them...

Christ, I really hope they ditch drag in FM5.

No Mascot...nooooooooooo!!

I want more features not less. If they can do it properly then hellz yeah dude awesome wicked cool..insert other Americanisms here.
But if it's half arsed then sure, leave it out. But for fuck's sake at least try Turn 10.

qmHlbTd.jpg

ouBxs8Q.jpg

oIrZxgw.jpg

FpmJSky.jpg

stw7sTO.jpg

HH0Jd2J.jpg

DorXwxu.jpg

G Rom

So, I was checking the Forza series Wiki and there's a mention of FM5 stating that Sebull had confirmed it. I ran on FM.fr to see what that was about, he indeed confirmed FM5 as a launch title for the next Xbox in the next Xbox event news and further in the commentaries of said news. Seems like the hype train for FM5 might be starting in less than one month... :)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

I want more features not less. If they can do it properly then hellz yeah dude awesome wicked cool..insert other Americanisms here.
But if it's half arsed then sure, leave it out. But for fuck's sake at least try Turn 10.

*awesome drag photos*

Give us proper staging, RTs and everything else and I'm all in.

Just a "who bought the best tune" mode is really lacking.

2 lap races do have to go though. Even worse were the 2 laps in day time than 2 laps at dusk. That got old real fast.

So, I was checking the Forza series Wiki and there's a mention of FM5 stating that Sebull had confirmed it. I ran on FM.fr to see what that was about, he indeed confirmed FM5 as a launch title for the next Xbox in the next Xbox event news and further in the commentaries of said news. Seems like the hype train for FM5 might be starting in less than one month... :)

Hype train is already in motion. Lets all hope it doesn't crash into an always online wall :|

Shaneus

Link?

Mascot

I'd really prefer it if they moved drag (and drifting) over to the Horizon series. Just seems like a much more appropriate fit to me. Don't forget that all games have a resource budget. Half-assing drag in FM4 might have cost us an additional circuit to race on.

Edit: jizzbomb about FM5 being semi-confirmed by G as a launch title. We need a new wishlist/anticipation/rumour thread to ramp up the excitement. Why don't you create one, Saladine..? ;)

Finally fixed my Fanatec h-gate shifter yesterday (had a damaged port underneath from a drunk mate's knee - what a dumb design putting it underneath!) so fired up FM4 again (first time since my career wipe, I think). Man, I've missed this game. Cranked up the amp to apocalyptic proportions, turned up the active sub to eleven, and ran some long R3 races around Road America. Pure bliss.

The Durango rumours have been making me squirm lately but there's little doubt FM5 will be a system seller for me.

One more month, people. Powerbeard incoming.

Edit: just seen this (shamelessly stolen from Three60 in the PC racing thread). Still no idea how they would mount onto the GT2 wheel. Maybe that's not the intention. My Playseat came with a little metal contraption for mounting a shifter down next to the seat, so maybe that's what would be needed.

http://eu.fanatec.com/Shifters?product_id=676

jYhyXu4.jpg

xCf21v5.png
fi1deQ6.png

Features
Full metal construction
Ultra realistic shifting experience
7 gear H-Pattern mode
Reverse gear with inhibitor to prevent accidental shifts and makes handling it, more realistic
Very realistic sequential mode with strong haptic feedback
Easy to switch between sequential and H-Pattern mode
Shifter knob made of solid polished aluminum
Exchangeable gear knob, compatible to popular automotive standards
Adjustable shift feeling and resistance
Multiple mounting options on all 4 sides and bottom

Compatibility
Compatible to all Fanatec wheels

Special Notes
7th gear only detected if the shifter is connected to a ClubSport Wheel

Packaging Details
Size (L x W x H) : 18.00cm x 18.00cm x 35.00cm
Weight: 2.40kg
Volume weight: 2.30kg
What's included
ClubSport Shifter SQ
H-knob
Sequential knob
2 x connector cables

Shaneus

Yeah, best we stick to the PGR5 one for the time being. There's more pointing to that being true right now than anything FM related.

Mascot

Played for a while this morning, and had a couple of instances of bright white glowing AI cars. Like nuclear explosion bright. The drivers inside looked fine. They weren't even DLC cars. Very weird.

On top of the career reset and livery deletions I appear to have lost a load of tunes as well.

Why does Dan hate me so?

Mascot

Slightly (OK, greatly) OT but does anyone know where I can source tips/instructions for relocating the PS2 socket/plug on the Fanatec Porsche shifter from the underside of the unit (silly position, easily knocked/damaged) to the rear of the unit (protected, out of the way). I don't want a repeat of previous damage.

Are the wires long enough to turn the socket round and just drill out the back?

It's something I was thinking of doing too. I can't lower the wheelstand down any further as the PS/2 plug digs into my sofa and I'm worried about it breaking.

Mascot

Are the wires long enough to turn the socket round and just drill out the back?

That's exactly what I was thinking of investigating. If the wires aren't long enough then soldering extensions is no big deal, but I'm more concerned about getting the PS2 socket mounted firmly. Somebody somewhere must have performed this mod already, but the internet has failed me...!

I can't remember for sure but think the PS2 socket can be pulled free using a small pair of pliers, if it's square just rotate it.

If not, file down the plastic and glue it back in. I ain't doing anything at the moment so gonna take a look myself.

OK it won't mount flush with the front of the shifter, there just isn't the room but seated further back at an angle it could drop in after filing down or breaking the plastic tabs off.

notsofast

Neo Member
I'd prefer the Mustang, probably. Make it a FR500GT3 "Man Racer".

Testify!

Loved the inclusion of more GT3 cars in Forza 4. The McLaren, the Mercedes SLS etc. So good! Hopefully in Forza 5 we see more like the upcoming Bentley or the Nissan GT-R, or the Aston Vantage V12 GT3.

Had my Xbox's power supply fail several weeks ago so Ive been without Forza for a couple of weeks and I was rapt to get back into this week when the replacement PSU arrived. Even without racing Im enjoying painting or trying to score a bargain in the auction house, this is the definitive racer for me (well that and PGR4-the love is strong for that game).

Geez it was good to pound out some laps around Maple Valley in my Risi 458GT.

Mascot

Geez it was good to pound out some laps around Maple Valley in my Risi 458GT.

Yeah, I've never understood the hate that Maple Valley occasionally attracts. It's a free-flowing undulating circuit with some great high-speed overtaking opportunities and a couple of tight technical areas. What's not to like?

Mascot

I can't remember for sure but think the PS2 socket can be pulled free using a small pair of pliers, if it's square just rotate it.

If not, file down the plastic and glue it back in. I ain't doing anything at the moment so gonna take a look myself.

OK it won't mount flush with the front of the shifter, there just isn't the room but seated further back at an angle it could drop in after filing down or breaking the plastic tabs off.

Thanks again for looking at this mate - it was the kickstart I needed to get this done. Took just half an hour in the end and was dead easy and good fun to do. The socket sits deeper in the housing after rotating & relocating it but drilling a 12mm hole gives clearance for the cable plug to enter further. I lucked out with my shaving/trimming of the moulded fins within the shifter housing and got a really tight fit so didn't need any Polymorph packing like I thought it might. Just tested it and it works a treat - the extra knee clearance and loss of fear about accidental damage to the socket is brilliant. Should have done this ages ago..!

I didn't take any photos of the WIP but it's pretty much as you described. Here's a couple of finished pics though.

New cable entry point:

cablemod1_zps519f5083.jpg

Underside showing original (stupid, knee-fouling) socket location:

cablemod2_zps4968bfc0.jpg

Mascot

Great job there Steve, looks like you got the socket in straighter than I could manage too.

Ah, you've done this mod already? Good man. Yeah, the socket sat nice and square after the internal case moulding was trimmed.

I'd certainly recommend this mod to anyone who uses the chopsticks to mount the shifter.

Seanspeed

Banned
Same as last night, I'm going to start a game if anyone wants to join send a friends request or message to FordGTGuy on Xbox Live.

Sorry man, I would actually love to play. I've been itching to, but I sold all my games that are region-locked for the UK, which unfortunately included all the Forza games. I'm gonna rebuy Forza 4, no doubt though. Already got rid of my Logitech wheel so I'm without PC racers too, and I'm kinda dying from racing game withdraw.

EDIT: In a race with an anime-covered Corvette and a taxi, there are no winners. Nice pics, though. Looks like a good race.

hobz360

Sorry man, I would actually love to play. I've been itching to, but I sold all my games that are region-locked for the UK, which unfortunately included all the Forza games. I'm gonna rebuy Forza 4, no doubt though. Already got rid of my Logitech wheel so I'm without PC racers too, and I'm kinda dying from racing game withdraw.

EDIT: In a race with an anime-covered Corvette and a taxi, there are no winners. Nice pics, though. Looks like a good race.

LOL! But it's a Gundam Z06 and a taxi racing! >.< Thanks, and yeah it was a close race.
Gonna try and upload all of my (close) online racing....

Mascot

Moving abroad, Seanspeed..?

Top Bottom