• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

Give it another crack if you can. I think it's worth it, but yeah... it's definitely not going to scratch the itch of needing a mounted wheel.

Klocker

anybody know if they will be releasing the OST for Forza4?

itching to hear it in other games...
I play F3 OST in most of my racing games.

Well, since this appears to be the ending of this era for Forza Motorsport, I made a comparative video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhHDNaD7kg

A 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 996 in Maple Valley, in all four games.

Graphics and sound have evolved, but when you compare the psysics between FM1 and FM4...in the first games the time was about the same (1:39) in FM4 it was 1:50, in the bloopers at the end you will see why I didn't want to go too fast.

Also, in the FM3 bloopers you will see something I really feared when I was racing...constant rollovers in the kerbs, annoying at the least.

Nice video, it's easy to forget how far Forza has come visually without seeing them back to back.

Hopefully T10 will go back to a more standard fov and viewing angle for Forza 5, bonnet and bumper cam in 4 was the worst in the series.

Mascot

That final corner at Maple Valley is still one of my favourites in any racing game.

So satisfying to nail it perfectly at high speed.

Shaneus

How did you shoot that video for FM1, Jorge? It looks like it's been a little cleaned up or has some effect to it... can't tell if it's using 360 BC or it's vanilla Xbox. Love the tech they used for the trees in it, though (which I think they also used in the first Rallisport?). It's a great effect.

That reminds me... as half-decent as 360 BC can be, there's no substitute for playing some games (like PGR2, <3) on the original Xbox. Just wish I could transfer the Xbox DLC onto the 360 :(

That final corner at Maple Valley is still one of my favourites in any racing game.

So satisfying to nail it perfectly at high speed.
One of mine is the final corner on Sebring. When you take that corner at stupid high speed and feel the car skip over that one big seam in the concrete... ohhhhh gawd.

Mascot

One of mine is the final corner on Sebring. When you take that corner at stupid high speed and feel the car skip over that one big seam in the concrete... ohhhhh gawd.

Yeah, that's a good one too. The sensation of skipping sideways is fantastic.

Damn, I'm off to play me some Forza.

Shaneus

Yeah, that's a good one too. The sensation of skipping sideways is fantastic.

Damn, I'm off to play me some Forza.
Haha, same. I might even fire up the first one, given I have my OG Xbox setup! Even if I just get my drivatar to do some cruising (and smashing into walls) for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, since this appears to be the ending of this era for Forza Motorsport, I made a comparative video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhHDNaD7kg

A 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 996 in Maple Valley, in all four games.

Graphics and sound have evolved, but when you compare the psysics between FM1 and FM4...in the first games the time was about the same (1:39) in FM4 it was 1:50, in the bloopers at the end you will see why I didn't want to go too fast.
Were you using a wheel or some different type of control in the FM4 vid? Looked like you had no confidence and were taking different lines than you were in the others.

Physics have definitely come a fair ways, too. Laptimes aren't a good way to compare.

Not used my speed wheel for a while, they need some kind of desk clamp you can hook it to so you can still use it as a gyro wheel, just that it stays in place like a real wheel, if you know what I mean.

Sometimes holding it up in the air for 10 laps can be exhausting.

Were you using a wheel or some different type of control in the FM4 vid? Looked like you had no confidence and were taking different lines than you were in the others.

Physics have definitely come a fair ways, too. Laptimes aren't a good way to compare.

Controller all the time, but in FM4 I'm very used to the interior view, that's why I made the bonus lap with that view, since I'm more confident.

Also, I had lot of crashes for going too fast (just 2 bloopers from FM4, but I had to repeat the lap like 15 times), so I was more cautious than the other laps.

Mascot

Heretic checking in.

No leaks ahead of Tuesday's event?

Not a sniff. We are all hoping for something, but popular opinion seems to be that FM5 won't get a look in until E3, if at all.

Waiting to be happily surprised, though. The April 1st leak of the early FM4 trailer was my most exciting moment in gaming news, so I'm hoping for a similar atom bomb.

Shaneus

Not a sniff. We are all hoping for something, but popular opinion seems to be that FM5 won't get a look in until E3, if at all.

Waiting to be happily surprised, though. The April 1st leak of the early FM4 trailer was my most exciting moment in gaming news, so I'm hoping for a similar atom bomb.
Let's watch it again, shall we?
Man, I so wish they followed that angle of promotion and theme where rather than using (admittedly, really fucking good) smooth, clean music, go balls-out and drop some motherfuckin' White Zombie in that bitch.

Oh god, I hope the new PGR does that for me... even if it's a Wipeout-esque electronic music vibe rather as opposed to the heavy rock one of that trailer.

DD

Let's watch it again, shall we?
Man, I so wish they followed that angle of promotion and theme where rather than using (admittedly, really fucking good) smooth, clean music, go balls-out and drop some motherfuckin' White Zombie in that bitch.

Oh god, I hope the new PGR does that for me... even if it's a Wipeout-esque electronic music vibe rather as opposed to the heavy rock one of that trailer.

This is my current soundtrack for Forza 4. :)

http://youtu.be/O6pSffe4k60

Yeah, I'm weird.

Mascot

Still gives me goosebumbs to this day. The way the video appeared from nowhere with a dubious pedigree, showcasing stunning graphics, new IBL lighting massively improved over FM3, several new locations and tracks, 16 players, Autovista, active aero, flame-popping exhausts, different times of day, World Tour mode... Man, it was like a love letter to the Forza faithful. And then, at the end: Bam! November, bitches! Eight months never seemed like such an age before.

I must have watched that video fifty times on my iPhone that first day someone tweeted it to me. It totally blew my mind, it was such a massive step-up from FM3 in all departments.

The frame-by-frame forensic analysis on forums in the weeks afterwards was also tremendously exciting, as was all the speculation about whether it was fake, whether it was deliberately leaked etc.

Fun times. Shame we've had nothing similar regarding FM5... yet.

Thanks, art was leaked from Forza 3 too wasn't it?

God I hope something Forza gets shown soon, I really want to see what T10 are capable of without the limits of current gen.

Seanspeed

Banned
Why are all the best cars DLC? :( I want that Alfa Stradale soo much but I refuse.
Well obviously they want to put some good cars in the DLC because otherwise its a waste of time, but there's still a ton of great cars in the regular game. If you cant find a pretty big handful of cars you love out of the 500 originally offered, then you're probably just very picky and thats not Turn 10's fault.

If you play any reasonable amount, fork up the few bucks for something you want.

Well obviously they want to put some good cars in the DLC because otherwise its a waste of time, but there's still a ton of great cars in the regular game. If you cant find a pretty big handful of cars you love out of the 500 originally offered, then you're probably just very picky and thats not Turn 10's fault.

If you play any reasonable amount, fork up the few bucks for something you want.

There is plenty to choose from. But I've always had a huge soft spot for Alfas. Browsing the dealership earlier, something like 70% of their Alfa lineup has that little DLC tag on it.

I love this game but damn.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Anyone else been having trouble connecting to rooms lately?

I haven't been able too connect to most rooms for awhile now even though my NAT type is open.

Mascot

Yesterday I went back to FM4's online racing. I expected the usual madness.
I was not disappointed.

I played some online races for the first time in ages the other day. Is a different physics engine used for online races? Car and track combos I know like the back of my hand from playing offline all felt weird. REALLY weird. Grippy cars were understeering like fuck, steering seemed really low geared. Every tried-and-trusted car I tried from my garage felt like I'd never driven it before. It was nothing to do with forced assists or anything (I race with everything off). It was the same thing across several different lobbies.

Any ideas?

(BTW, upgrades seemed to be allowed if the PI was anything to go on)

Mascot

Ah shit I can't remember what they are called, hoped you'd know what I meant!

Make your own private lobby and add the bots.

Ah, yeah, that's what I normally play. Everything is perfect, all physics just like career mode. Play in a lobby full of humans though and it all seemed to alter. Very weird.

Maybe physics are dumbed down a little in online races against humans?

DD

Two offscreen shots:

CzWIPkW.jpg

hlTXQeD.jpg

Mascot

Is anyone interested in participating in some FM4 GAF club races anytime soon? I've only recently started racing online with FM4 and it's a lot of fun but all it takes is one asshole to dump shit on the track.

Plus, I need some competitive tunes. What I previously thought were fast grippy cars are consistently getting smoked on the straights and also in the corners.

Does anyone have some good lobby car/tune/track recommendations in the various classes?

Revson

First time in ForzaGAF, heh.

I don't play much anymore, but I'd be glad to help with some lobby tunes. I ran mostly S class and above, but I have a variety of lower class stuff as well. I always like to help people out with tunes; most people are blown away at the difference a good build/tune makes.

Mascot

Playing with your wheel?

I can do most evenings tbh, huge bummer that my mic doesn't work with it.

Cool! Let's see if we can round up a few more GAFers. I don't know why the mics are so bad with the wheel, but they are pretty much useless. Can play with he pad online if needed, I'm easy.

First time in ForzaGAF, heh.

I don't play much anymore, but I'd be glad to help with some lobby tunes. I ran mostly S class and above, but I have a variety of lower class stuff as well. I always like to help people out with tunes; most people are blown away at the difference a good build/tune makes.

Great, thanks. I've always used tunes from Gearbox, Tweaky, Raudi and a few other of the respected garages but I'm getting smoked using them. Some good competitive ones would be most welcome.

Revson

Great, thanks. I've always used tunes from Gearbox, Tweaky, Raudi and a few other of the respected garages but I'm getting smoked using them. Some good competitive ones would be most welcome.

I have Raudi's paints on quite a few of my cars. The whole tuning marketplace scene was huge back in Forza 2, tons of great stuff from the garages on there. Last time I checked though, the Forza forums were completely dead. I only go on Forza to hotlap or race with friends, which isn't very often nowadays.

Send me a FR on live and I'll gift over some stuff, my gt is TPR Goat

Mascot

Played in a couple of excellent online lobbies yesterday, both with simulation damage which (for the most part) seems to help people focus on sensible driving.

One lobby had 6-7 lap races with at least one compulsory pit stop on either lap 3, 4 or 5. What a great idea! Even with the autopilot way pitstops are handled in Forza it added a significant extra element of strategy to the race. Shame the stops depended on the honesty of the players and couldn't be enforced by the game itself (notification when the 'pit window' was open, warnings/penalties if ignored) but everyone seemed to respect the system.

The other lobby was multiclass 5-lappers with two buckets: a bunch of professional-level AI drivers in stock A-class cars who started ten seconds ahead of us humans, who were in upgraded B-class cars. These races were amazing, always tight and always in a big pack by the end of the race. The AI cars were actually competitive for once.

I'm really enjoying online racing in Forza for the first time in years now.

I played Forza 4 this weekend for the first time in ages.

It remains a fantastic game and I am disappointed I will not play Forza 5 this fall when it launches. I am hopeful DriveClub will scratch my racing itch, but I'm not counting on it.

A few shots from my time on the track.

9230275751_3050e8f1b7_c.jpg

9233056304_2c40041ae7_c.jpg

MMaRsu

So I finally picked up Forza4. Damn this game is GREAT! Although I was bummed when I saw that I could not pick 1 single Porsche, all had to be bought as seperate DLC :(.

Going through the career mode now, does this announcer guy keep talking all the way through it or what? And why is the announcer not Jeremy Clarkson? Should have just gotten him for the entire game!

I'm doing simulation steering, and only the braking line.

If anyone can send me some cool decals like Jet Set Radio painted cars and stuff, or some amazing cars my gamertag is MMaRsu NL. I wont expect much, I doubt many people still play this!

So I finally picked up Forza4. Damn this game is GREAT! Although I was bummed when I saw that I could not pick 1 single Porsche, all had to be bought as seperate DLC :(.

Going through the career mode now, does this announcer guy keep talking all the way through it or what? And why is the announcer not Jeremy Clarkson? Should have just gotten him for the entire game!

I'm doing simulation steering, and only the braking line.

If anyone can send me some cool decals like Jet Set Radio painted cars and stuff, or some amazing cars my gamertag is MMaRsu NL. I wont expect much, I doubt many people still play this!
It is a great game, I'm at level 79 and Ive driven for over 24 hours in the month or so Ive played it.
I use the brake line and no assists for almost every car, but for of the LMP races I have to use traction control, Im spending too much time feathering the throttle.
The graphics are inconsistent. Cockpit view is fairly ugly for most of the cars, and all the environmental detail theyve packed into the tracks is hard to notice because of their bland lighting.
That said, the driving and racing experience is what sucks you in. FM5 looks like a visually stunning game that answers just about every graphics complaint I have with FM4, so Im super excited for that.

BTW, has anyone come up with a list of the cars in the game that you can tune to have the best 0-60 mph/0-100 mph performance?
I havnt found anything that competes with my AWD Nissan R390, it goes from 0-100 flat in 3.5 seconds.

Tier 4.

Its a nice little incentive to mop up achievements. Hope it carries over for all future Forzas.

As this has been bumped I was wondering how many wheel users still play and if we had enough people to maybe have a few races? (forced sim steering, cockpits, no assists) got nothing against pad players but I'm not competitive against them.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
been a while since i've played this much and i am getting INSANE sound bugs constantly. i recall the game having sound farts from time to time, but i get constant different engine tones while racing, almost as if there is a duplicate of my car that is constantly shifting gears over my own engine hum.

good example here
better example

is there a fix?

in case it matters, i'm using a thrustmaster tx with the game and have performed a hard reboot and still get these errors...

Top Bottom