• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

Anything to suggest playable character or NPC in there..?

Also noticed quite a few contract Turn 10 employees have their contracts set to end in November '13.......
Who said that?!? (about the character thing)

Garage walk mode to be back for PGR5. Believe.
lN4rRAvm.png

Still can't wait to use this one in zomg less than two weeks!
kaOAcHam.png

Shaneus

Awesome. I love xam3l's videos.
Holy hell, what's in store for eye candy in FM5? The mind boggles.
The very last video on that page reminds me a LOT of the stuff Eamon Urtone did for Bizarre. Particularly the liberal slow motion and the creative syncronisation with the music. Best example (probably), Blur.

Great video.

A lot of improvements over Forza 2 in later games came at a cost in other areas, some more noticeable than others. I hope the audio was one of these and huge gains can be made next gen.

No excuses for Forza 5.

Mascot

So, what are your favorite classes in the game?

Mine: R3 and R2. I freakin' love to drive those GT beasts.

Same here, R3 & R2. Not R1 though.
I love being in a pack of liveried-up race-specc'd beasts.
If I could apply liveries to AI cars (fingers crossed for FM5) then I'd probably race A and S classes a little more than I do.

DD

What I enjoy the most in the R3 and R2 classes is how gentle you have to be with the throttle, with the brakes and the steering. But at the same time, the cars don't try to kill you because of any tiny mistake like the R1 cars. It's like a good wine, and with the sublime handling and tire model that Forza 4 has, it cannot get any better than that...

...well, actually it could. An AI that does not drive like a grandma when in front of you, and like a serial killer when behind you would be nice.

Mascot

...well, actually it could. An AI that does not drive like a grandma when in front of you, and like a serial killer when behind you would be nice.

Yep. The way AI brakes for corners is what kills AI races. At least they now use the full power of the car on straights. Remember when they used to drive like there was a tennis ball under the accelerator?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yep. The way AI brakes for corners is what kills AI races. At least they now use the full power of the car on straights. Remember when they used to drive like there was a tennis ball under the accelerator?

I generally try to fall back in the field at the start of a race to try and make it interesting now.

Over take 11 cars in a couple laps is about as exciting as A.I gets in Forza these days.

Thats the reason i stopped using the suggested braking line in since Forza 2. It puts out the safest time to brake not the best time. As a bonus it forces you to actually learn the tracks and find visual markers for the best braking points.

saladine1

I generally try to fall back in the field at the start of a race to try and make it interesting now.

Over take 11 cars in a couple laps is about as exciting as A.I gets in Forza these days.

Or you can underpower your car in the same class against the AI. This is generally what I do to keep things interesting..
Or, underclass your car against a higher class field.

You have to be creative in order to have any sense of competition in the game. It's sad, I know.

In other news, apparently, MS is having a contest to win entrance to it's E3 briefing.
In order to be eligible, you have to go through a few hoops including tweeting @EA, @Xbox, @PlayXBLA and @Turn10

It's interesting that EA is mentioned especially after the EA-MS at E3 rumors. Also Turn 10 being there might suggest a FM5 announcement perhaps.
Another interesting thing however, is the hashtags @EA and @Turn10 were removed from the Xbox E3 2013 page.....

Megasoum

Banned
So I finally bought back the game today (I bought the CE on release day but sold it back to a friend a couple of days laters because it was almost undrivable with Fanatec wheels).

Is anybody else having issues with the servers? I'm not gold right now so I know I can't go online or in the club but now, even when I download DLC I get a "Marketplace error: Failed to download required marketplace data. Please try again later".

Mascot

So I finally bought back the game today (I bought the CE on release day but sold it back to a friend a couple of days laters because it was almost undrivable with Fanatec wheels).

Whaaaa...?

FM4 is superb with Fanatec wheels.

Care to elaborate what you mean by 'undrivable'?

Had knee surgery last week and haven't been able to use my wheel since, I can take or leave gaming any other time but now I can't play it's bugging the fuck out of me :(

Back in on the 21st so probably miss the Xbox reveal too.

Any idea what time the event is here (UK) and will it be streamed on Xbox?

Mascot

Had knee surgery last week and haven't been able to use my wheel since, I can take or leave gaming any other time but now I can't play it's bugging the fuck out of me :(

Back in on the 21st so probably miss the Xbox reveal too.

Any idea what time the event is here (UK) and will it be streamed on Xbox?

6pm UK time, and yes it is being streamed over Xbox Live and on Xbox.com.

Sorry to hear about the knee mate. I knew all that kneeling down tinkering with your pedals wasn't good for you...

6pm? Great I should be done by then!

Knee is OK, I just can't bend it. Been playing some PGR 3 (never really rated 4's twitchy driving) and I'd forgotten just how awesome the lighting can be with that game, I'd put it close and sometimes better than GT's.

T10 please take note.

Zeth

Best use of 1600 ms pts? The 3 disc 2 car packs + something else?

I'm going to end up buying everything :( Maybe I'll just decide as I go, since most of the cars are on display whether I own them or not.

xam3l

Man, does Forza look stunning or what!

Thanks for the videos Helios. That was very entertaining. The creator of the videos is one talented guy.

Thank you! ^^

And thanks HeliosT10 for all the support ;)

I remember that Blur trailer so well. I was kind of inspired by it at some point.

Talking about blur, the intro with Ecstasy of Gold its one of the best in racing games IMO.

Shaneus

Best use of 1600 ms pts? The 3 disc 2 car packs + something else?

I'm going to end up buying everything :( Maybe I'll just decide as I go, since most of the cars are on display whether I own them or not.

Do you have the Porsche pack yet?

I remember that Blur trailer so well. I was kind of inspired by it at some point.

Talking about blur, the intro with Ecstasy of Gold its one of the best in racing games IMO.
I don't watch a lot of edited videos for video games, but I'm pretty familiar with the style from the guy who worked on a lot of the Bizarre (and FM4) stuff, so it wasn't really an educated guess. But knowing your influences, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for what you'll be doing next! Here's hoping it's for PGR5 ;)

Megasoum

Banned
Whaaaa...?

FM4 is superb with Fanatec wheels.

Care to elaborate what you mean by 'undrivable'?

There was some big problems with the 900 degrees at launch with Fanatec wheels and weird hidden assists. They've fixed that since (within Forza and through firmware updates on the wheel). I had pre-ordered the game a long time before launch and by the time it came out I needed money so I sold it. Anyway I ended up making profit still lol. Now I have the regular version of the game but I still have all the vip stuff unlocked on my account lol.

I didn't have much time to play last night and the server issues made it a real pain (I would get kicked out of the options because of the offline servers...really annoying). The little I played was already better than my first impression, now I just need to fine tune the wheel setup (ingame and on the wheel). I'm open to suggestions if you have good setups.

Pepto

Banned
I'm open to suggestions if you have good setups.

Set the wheel to 900 degrees (or little less if you prefer), force feedback to 100 and drift to 0 (or whatever the off setting is) and then set your preferred force feedback strength from the game. This works perfectly for me.

EYEL1NER

Man, my internet situation is killing me up here in Northern Greenland.
I've been trying to score an OEM MS racing wheel off eBay for the past couple days, but I keep having bad luck. Either the auction will end while I am at work (where eBay is blocked on the network and I am unable to get to the auction) or my slow internet in my dorm room prevents me from being able to get my bid in at the last second.

I almost nabbed one in almost new condition for about $75 shipped an hour ago but I entered my bid in the last 15 seconds and the slow-ass internet wouldn't load the bid confirmation screen in-time. By the time it popped up, it said the auction was over and ended at way less than my max bid.
There is one kinda cheap that is a buy-it-now, but the guy doesn't have much feedback and listed that he doesn't take returns (and that the item is in such good of shape that no one would want to return it), which all strikes me as somewhat sketchy. I'm waiting to hear back from him on what part number of wheel it is, but I imagine someone will buy it before then.

They are going for a lot less than what I would have imagined though. Of course the ones I am looking at are not brand new and in a factory box, but I don't mind that as long as it is in good shape and cheap.
I'm also trying to net an Ace Edge flight stick, which have been pretty cheap when I have bid (and missed out due to terrible internet).
I'm sure I will get lucky soon, but I can see it happening where I will finally get both of them, receive them here, and then suck with using them as controllers.

Edit: Well hell, I got a guy to get back to me with the part number on a cheap 'buy it now' wheel. But it is one of the part numbers of the recalled wheels. MS was retrofitting them for free when the recall happened, but a post over on the Forza forums from a little while back said they were no longer doing it (as it has been more than a couple years since they were discontinued). Now I have to decide if I want to get this one and risk it overheating and getting all fucked up.
Edit: Should I buy one of the recalled models if I get a chance (not necessarily this one though)? It was the power supply that was bad right? I'm having trouble finding too much info but it seems like if I get a new power supply that is similar requirements and don't play the game off the power supply with batteries installed, I should be good. Having a Fanatec would be cool, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money (though I was super-tempted to get a full set from their site a couple hours ago, that Forza wheel is beautiful).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
To be honest, I don't think the MS wheel adds enough to the game to be "worth" it.

It has poor FFB, very noisey, strange artifacts on inputs and the pedals are really, really bad. I honestly prefer a pad over my MS wheel.

Shaneus

Yeah, I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be... but given I got a second-hand one, it has the loose plastic bearing that seems to make everything far worse than it should be. If I had to compare it (in it's current state) to something else, I'd say the experience with the Speed Wheel is a lot better, even with weak-as-piss vibration and no FFB.

I have a spare DFGT wheel that's picking up dust, I'd love to see if there's a way to drop the MS wheel's motor/guts in there. Not worth the effort with Nextbox around the corner.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I've had my MS wheel since new. Always been squeaking, rattling and whirring. The free play in the middle where the FFB motor doesn't connect has always been huge which ends up making the cars twitch when going over rumble strips and stuff. I had to put rubber tubing under the brake pedal if I didn't want to use ABS and I had to add a stopper to the accelerator because it's outside dead zone is ginormous regardless of in game settings.

Shaneus

Yeah, I can see what you mean with the pedals... almost literally no resistance at all (and fucking weird coming from my spring-upgraded G27 pedals). Didn't know the poor build quality happened with the wheel itself, though :/

Mascot

Having a Fanatec would be cool, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money (though I was super-tempted to get a full set from their site a couple hours ago, that Forza wheel is beautiful).

If you're serious about it then buy the Fanatec set. By not buying a shitty MS wheel in the meantime you are effectively getting a $75 instant discount!

(I'm an expert at this kind of self-justification)

Mascot

I'd go nuts if my Fanatec doesn't work with next box. I'm not shelling out another grand.

You and DC need to stop scaring the fuck out of me. If my GT2 isn't compatible with the PS4 or Knockerbox 3000 (man, just five more days until we know the proper name of the damn thing) then... then... I will be incandescent with rage.

Pepto

Banned
You and DC need to stop scaring the fuck out of me. If my GT2 isn't compatible with the PS4 or Knockerbox 3000 (man, just five more days until we know the proper name of the damn thing) then... then... I will be incandescent with rage.

At least we can still play project CARS and iRacing...

Has anyone here used the Mad Catz Wireless wheel that came out a couple years back? Trying to find a budget 360 racing wheel and I've heard some positive things about it.

There's a couple, cheap wheel with no force feedback and an overpriced one with it, I don't know what it costs now but on release it wasn't worth getting when a Fanatec could be picked up for a hundred more and works on PS3/PC.

Shaneus

Has anyone here used the Mad Catz Wireless wheel that came out a couple years back? Trying to find a budget 360 racing wheel and I've heard some positive things about it.
Seriously, the MS Speed Wheel (or whatever it's called). I was REALLY surprised with how most driving games feel with it. Even Daytona!

There's a couple, cheap wheel with no force feedback and an overpriced one with it, I don't know what it costs now but on release it wasn't worth getting when a Fanatec could be picked up for a hundred more and works on PS3/PC.

CSR bundle is not that much more. I feel that it's a better deal but I already have a wheel that is ps3/pc compatible. I want to see if it's forward compatible with Durango/Infinity like previous Logitech wheels before committing but I'm growing impatient.

Seriously, the MS Speed Wheel (or whatever it's called). I was REALLY surprised with how most driving games feel with it. Even Daytona!

Yeah I have it. I don't like it. I would rather have a physical wheel. But it's been over a year since I used it and I never really put much time into it.

Top Bottom