• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Seanspeed

Banned
Since you guys are probably the only people on GAF who care, I asked Liz (syffitf) to marry me last Wednesday....

and she, thankfully, said yes!
Nice work man. :D

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live now and why are you moving?
Virginia Beach now. Basically just in a bit of a rut right now in my life and have the opportunity to go try my luck in London, so I figure now would be a good time to take it.

He's hoping to get better race lines so one day he could beat me.
The actual reason. I dont think it'll be enough, but its worth trying. lol

Mascot

I'm wondering though, wouldn't a PGR launch sort of take away the 'credit' from Turn 10 and Forza?

I mean, let's just say that PGR is launching this year, a lot of Turn 10's next gen assets(cars, audio..etc) will be showcased first in PGR. By the time FM5 comes out, everything will sort of be 'familiar'.
Perhaps PGR might even look better in ways (being a 30fps game, with more eye candy) than FM5. Where would the Fm5 vs GT6 thread be then lol..?

I'll believe PGR when it's officially announced. I think Horizon is planned to fill that gap and the next one (Horizon World Tour? Probably. That's the way these things usually go) will be more urban with plenty of city races.

Make no mistake, GT6 vs FM5 will ignite fanboy wars like never before. Just be glad neither side holds nukes.

Thanks for all the support guys, I know I am one lucky bastard. lol

Congrats.

1.5 ct?

Damn good eye! The center is about a single ct and all the other little ones make up about another half.

That's AWESOME man!!!!!!!

Considering the situation you were getting away from, this is just inspiring, bro!! I seriously mean that in every possible way. I'm really happy for you! She's a pretty lady and I hope nothing but the best for you two!

Thanks man! In a way I almost feel like I deserve it after all the shit I went through with the ex. lol

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Virginia Beach now. Basically just in a bit of a rut right now in my life and have the opportunity to go try my luck in London, so I figure now would be a good time to take it.

Nice, I live in Portsmouth right now.

I feel you on the rut situation Hampton Roads is not a great place to live right now.

A little bit back on topic, I've been using this Forza 4 tuning app on Android and it's done a pretty nice job at tuning my cars.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...mNvbS5mbGFtZWZyb250c3R1ZGlvcy5mb3J6YXR1bmUiXQ..

Mascot

I'm not sure I can survive the next ten days without knowing whether FM5 will be shown at the Xbox launch. Imagine watching the whole thing only to find it doesn't even get a mention. THEN having another ten-day wait until E3, AGAIN not knowing if it will be shown.

FUCK.

I've now convinced myself that FM5 doesn't even exist, and will never be made.

saladine1

I'm not sure I can survive the next ten days without knowing whether FM5 will be shown at the Xbox launch. Imagine watching the whole thing only to find it doesn't even get a mention. THEN having another ten-day wait until E3, AGAIN not knowing if it will be shown.

FUCK.

I've now convinced myself that FM5 doesn't even exist, and will never be made.

Well, we know for certain that it will not be shown at the 21st event (according to B).
Whether anything will be shown at E3 is another story. However..

BADNED
Raidillon de l'Eau Rouge - the place to be!

eso76
SPA in FM5. Also, FM5 unveiled during one of the next few events taking place there in late may :p

BADNED
tick, tock, tick, tock, ...

If PGR is shown at the 21st event, then I don't see FM5 coming out at all this year. I mean, 2 next gen racers at launch from MS?
Don't see that happening.

Mascot

Well, we know for certain that it will not be shown at the 21st event (according to B).
Whether anything will be shown at E3 is another story. However..

If PGR is shown at the 21st event, then I don't see FM5 coming out at all this year. I mean, 2 next gen racers at launch from MS?
Don't see that happening.

If FM5 isn't shown by E3 then MS really have lost the plot.

What makes you think PGR is even in development for Durango? I thought that PGR-esque teaser with blurry London in the background was for a smartphone game?

Seanspeed

Banned
Shit's getting all romantic up in here with marriage proposals and PGR and whatnot.

@FordGT - had no idea you were so close by! Honestly, I dont hate Hampton Roads. I actually like Virginia Beach quite a bit, I just kind of hate my current situation and feel like getting out of my comfort zone would be a good thing.

Mascot

Shit's getting all romantic up in here with marriage proposals and PGR and whatnot.

@FordGT - had no idea you were so close by! Honestly, I dont hate Hampton Roads. I actually like Virginia Beach quite a bit, I just kind of hate my current situation and feel like getting out of my comfort zone would be a good thing.

Is Virginia Beach where the third season of East Bound and Down was filmed?

saladine1

You know, if FM5 is released next year, there will be plenty of time to implement fan requested features.
Perhaps, now is a good time as any to start pummeling Turn 10 with shit!

Turn 10, I want to see sidewall markings on tires. Doesn't necessarily have to be manufacturer logos if that is a problem. Perhaps, some king of whitewalling or custom lettering in the customization options.

It adds to the realism of the visuals especially when the car is moving at low speeds. It adds a sense of depth to the vehicle.

Expect more wishes from here on out.

Yeah sidewall markings would be a cheap and easy way to improve the look of the tyres.

I want optional plates too, both manufacturer and custom numbered.

Both of these small details would go a long way to the models losing the die cast (or plastic if you want to be a bitch about it) toy car look.

saladine1

There should be 3 types of transmissions in the game:

Automatic
Manual
Manual with clutch

As it stands now, the automatic transmission does not behave or sound like a REAL automatic. It still changes gear as if it's a manual. Doesn't feel or sound right at all.
This is especially strange on cars that are only automatic from the factory.

Actually, you know what?
Mascot, perhaps you can go ahead with your idea of creating an official/dedicated FM5 wishlist thread in the main page. At least this way, more Gaffers can contribute instead of just a few. Exposure and all that jazz.
Set down a few ground rules in the OP, and keep it updated as more and more ideas pop up kind of like that GT6 thread....

Mascot

Actually, you know what?
Mascot, perhaps you can go ahead with your idea of creating an official/dedicated FM5 wishlist thread in the main page. At least this way, more Gaffers can contribute instead of just a few. Exposure and all that jazz.
Set down a few ground rules in the OP, and keep it updated as more and more ideas pop up kind of like that GT6 thread....

Waiting to see if the game is announced or not within the next month is probably wise. I imagine there'll be a whole host of new threads on the subject then

saladine1

God I loved that game! Completely underrated and I would kill for a new version of it.

Same here. Why didn't they follow it up with another game?
In many ways, it was better than GT.

Waiting to see if the game is announced or not within the next month is probably wise. I imagine there'll be a whole host of new threads on the subject then
Sure, no problem.

So, in FM4, if you want your Mazda MX5(as an example) to compete in upper classes, you have to upgrade the car right?
So you pour thousands of dollars on your car with things like turbos, suspension, engines, gearboxes, clutches, weight reduction...etc in order to be competitive. After having poured that insane amount of money, and having achieved 600hp somehow, the car still feels like a production car in some ways.
Let's take NFS SHIFT for example. When you want to be really competitive, you upgrade your car to a status which they have termed 'works'. What makes this different to FM4, is that it truly does feel and sound like a monster of a race car:
Big flare kits for even wider wheels
Visible FMIC and OC's
Visual exhaust system diameter upgrade
Interior mods, steering wheels, cooling vents, stripped out cabins
Body mods..etc

I would love to see a 'works' version for FM5. Stage 1 to stage 3 upgrades will still be the same, but then you have a stage 4 upgrade system where after you have maxed out all the stage 4 parts, it will then be deemed as a 'wroks' car or 'race modified' car.

It feels strange that in FM4, my modified monster is still running the air con, radio, original OEM steering wheel, my exhaust looks the same, dash is still the same and the overall behavior of the car still doesn't match a fully fledged race car.
Now, I understand that FM has a ridiculous amount of cars and that to achieve the aforementioned would require a massive amount of work. But something has to be done in order for a 'race modified vehicle' to truly reflect it's name.

DD

dsc09072rpa4t.jpg

lol

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Same here. Why didn't they follow it up with another game?
In many ways, it was better than GT.

Sure, no problem.

So, in FM4, if you want your Mazda MX5(as an example) to compete in upper classes, you have to upgrade the car right?
So you pour thousands of dollars on your car with things like turbos, suspension, engines, gearboxes, clutches, weight reduction...etc in order to be competitive. After having poured that insane amount of money, and having achieved 600hp somehow, the car still feels like a production car in some ways.
Let's take NFS SHIFT for example. When you want to be really competitive, you upgrade your car to a status which they have termed 'works'. What makes this different to FM4, is that it truly does feel and sound like a monster of a race car:
Big flare kits for even wider wheels
Visible FMIC and OC's
Visual exhaust system diameter upgrade
Interior mods, steering wheels, cooling vents, stripped out cabins
Body mods..etc

I would love to see a 'works' version for FM5. Stage 1 to stage 3 upgrades will still be the same, but then you have a stage 4 upgrade system where after you have maxed out all the stage 4 parts, it will then be deemed as a 'wroks' car or 'race modified' car.

It feels strange that in FM4, my modified monster is still running the air con, radio, original OEM steering wheel, my exhaust looks the same, dash is still the same and the overall behavior of the car still doesn't match a fully fledged race car.
Now, I understand that FM has a ridiculous amount of cars and that to achieve the aforementioned would require a massive amount of work. But something has to be done in order for a 'race modified vehicle' to truly reflect it's name.

That is one thing I really liked about shift.

Even if they did it in a more basic fashion like made the dash inserts carbon fibre, removed the radio and gauge clusters while replacing them with race buttons, switches and displays. Getting rid of the boat wheel on older cars would be really good too. My A class XB with 600hp, full weight reduction and cage just doesn't look right with that gigantic wheel.

saladine1

That is one thing I really liked about shift.

Even if they did it in a more basic fashion like made the dash inserts carbon fibre, removed the radio and gauge clusters while replacing them with race buttons, switches and displays. Getting rid of the boat wheel on older cars would be really good too. My A class XB with 600hp, full weight reduction and cage just doesn't look right with that gigantic wheel.

Right, I can understand not going completely all out but as you stated, something basic would go a long way for sure...

Pr2MOqK.jpg

qJ8Zhj0.jpg

notsofast

Neo Member
Been racing my DTM C-Class Mercedes recently in the DTM career series, got gold in all races except for the Nurburgring F1 full track which Ive been racing on lately. Some great racing with the AI, passes aplenty, grabbed second on the last corner. Will keep trying to get all gold for that series, that one odd medal looks really out of place.

I love this game so much, for its all flaws and mistakes its my favourite racer of all time. Theres just so much to do and so much freedom in how you want to do it. Especially when it comes to engine and drivetrain swaps, I really enjoy altering a car to be vastly different to how it came off the showroom floor and make it truly mine, my own creation so to speak.

One thing that annoys me is the dropping of the Ferrari 550 GTS from the previous Forza games, and here I was looking forward to racing it with the improved cockpit view, working dash and everything. Wonderful sounding machine, only the DBR9 was a better sounding R2 machine in my opinion.

Mascot

Just ordered a copy of FM2 online to remind myself how the audio changes as you upgrade the car's respiration.

Must have traded my old LCE copy in, or something. Can't find it, anyway.

saladine1

Just ordered a copy of FM2 online to remind myself how the audio changes as you upgrade the car's respiration.

Must have traded my old LCE copy in, or something. Can't find it, anyway.

lol, believe it or not, I was just playing FM2 for this very reason!

I first noticed these changes when I first bought the Honda Integra. Sure enough, the stock sounds were more in line with what a stock Integra would sound like. It was civilized, smooth. I applied a stage 3 exhaust and intake and holy shit did the sound go nuts!
It was louder, angrier and more importantly, the actual notes changed. Much deeper, much more raw.
I have a mate who became and obsessed FM sound nut because of that feature.
Good times.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
lol, believe it or not, I was just playing FM2 for this very reason!

I first noticed these changes when I first bought the Honda Integra. Sure enough, the stock sounds were more in line with what a stock Integra would sound like. It was civilized, smooth. I applied a stage 3 exhaust and intake and holy shit did the sound go nuts!
It was louder, angrier and more importantly, the actual notes changed. Much deeper, much more raw.
I have a mate who became and obsessed FM sound nut because of that feature.
Good times.

Hopefully FM5 goes down that route instead of the "That toyota yaris has to sound like a 900hp beast through 5w TV speakers!" path FM4 took. At least that was better than the "No upgrades make any difference at all and we will permanently ban you from our forums if you mention it" route FM3 took :|

saladine1

Hopefully FM5 goes down that route instead of the "That toyota yaris has to sound like a 900hp beast through 5w TV speakers!" path FM4 took. At least that was better than the "No upgrades make any difference at all and we will permanently ban you from our forums if you mention it" route FM3 took :|

lol really?

Anyway, totally agree.

shinnn

Do you guys have a video showing the differences? I've played more FM2 than FM3 or FM4 and for me FM4 is much better, and upgrades make a lot of difference.

In Shift its is the oposite to me. You buy a stock car and it is already sounding like a racing car, spitting flames.

DD

I really don't see (or hear =P) what's so great about the sound in Forza 3 and 4 (FM2 is the only one I have not played). Of course it doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, but it's far from great. What I miss the most is the sound of the brakes, that "sqweeeeeeeesh" you hear when you watch a GP3 car using it's brakes before a slow turn. I'm kind of tired of hearing only the engines and the tires. I want to hear the brakes, the bending of the chassis with the brutal forces applied, the suspensions... =/

saladine1

Do you guys have a video showing the differences? I've played more FM2 than FM3 or FM4 and for me FM4 is much better, and upgrades make a lot of difference.

In Shift its is the oposite to me. You buy a stock car and it is already sounding like a racing car, spitting flames.

Warning. Sound topic means i'll be talking your ears off!

Funny, there doesn't seem to be any comparison videos.

Trust me though, the Forza 2 audio system does a better job at conveying a stock car vs a tuned car. Forza 4 samples are better for sure, more things change as well such as BOV's, transmission whine, backfires..etc when upgrades are applied. But. Forza 4 doesn't simulate an actual exhaust swap as it did in Forza 2. Instead, when exhausts are applied in 4, DSP effects kick in which try and simulate those distortion effects heard in modified vehicles. But they don't actually swap exhaust note samples.

It's a massive undertaking to physically swap out 700 or so exhausts in order to record each vehicle in it's modified state. That's why in FM4, cars a already 'beefed up' from the get go. They probably figured that people are going to upgrade the cars anyway, so why not sample the cars a little more grittier from the start.

GT tries to do the FM2 way by making the stock sounds actually sound stock and then make the notes change pitch when upgrades are applied. But, they fall really short on their target because when cars are upgraded, they sound even worse than before. This is because they aren't actually recording cars in their modified state. What they are doing instead, is trying to mimic what a 3 inch exhaust for example would sound like by altering the samples through some computer/audio program. Obviously, it hasn't worked for them because once you've upgraded a V8 muscle car for example, the car starts to sound like there is a V6 under the hood instead....terrible.

I would shit a brick if Turn 10 somehow found a way to go back to FM2's system of audio sample swaps. At least that way, when you actually upgrade exhausts, cams, turbos, intakes...etc, you get to hear a pretty big difference from stock and perhaps the cars would resemble a truly modified race car as it ought to be heard.

Judging by Nick Wiswell's latest audio segment that happened earlier this year and by various articles written in the past, it sounds like he and the audio team have a few tricks and surprises in store for FM5. Can't wait!

I really don't see (or hear =P) what's so great about the sound in Forza 3 and 4 (FM2 is the only one I have not played). Of course it doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, but it's far from great. What I miss the most is the sound of the brakes, that "sqweeeeeeeesh" you hear when you watch a GP3 car using it's brakes before a slow turn. I'm kind of tired of hearing only the engines and the tires. I want to hear the brakes, the bending of the chassis with the brutal forces applied, the suspensions... =/

The samples in FM4 are THE BEST in the business. The fidelity is ridiculously good. Each rpm range has been captured brilliantly. From the low notes to the extreme notes and all its anomalies.
Idles change depending on upgrades.
Transmission whine changes depending on upgrades.
Turbo spool changes
BOV changes
Backfires
Exhaust pops
Sand and dendris kicked up by tire sounds
..etc it's all pretty much there.

However, certain effects are missing and some need to be better:

Transmission whine whilst sounding fine doesn't sound or behave realistically. See NFS SHIFT, Pro Street PGR 4 and other games to hear how it should be.
Turbo spool could be more louder.
BOV's could be louder and more natural. Again, listen to NFS Pro Street( I believe they have the best BOV and turbo spool effects)
Brake whine
Cockpit resonance could be enhanced
Replay mode reverb and doppler could be better
Gearbox and engine oscillation between shifts
over run effects
Exhaust splutter...etc

Like i've said, the engine and exhaust samples are really good, it's just the accompanying effects that need some work.

Mascot

Subscribe to DJKustom's YouTube videos and soak them up. Here's a random one:

Sounds Of Forza 4

You can really appreciate the depth and variety of the engine audio from these videos.

Saladine will no doubt point you to his favourite..!

HeliosT10

The problem with this thread is that it's been relegated to the Community section, where old threads generally go to die. Only GAFers with subscriptions probably know it even exists.

I'm sure Helios would soon find an FM5 thread if one was created, although he does tend to go dark when questioned (hello Helios, if you are lurking). I'm still waiting for feedback about our reset FM4 game saves (which, after initially not being too bothered about it, now pisses me off the more and more I think about it - especially the lack of acknowledgement from Turn 10).

And you are right, a speculation/wishlist thread probably wouldn't influence much in the final game, but it would still be interesting and good fun.

Hey there, I did try to investigate further (see this post), but without further cases being reported along with the circumstances in which this happened there's not really much to go on unfortunately..

Shaneus

Judging by Nick Wiswell's latest audio segment that happened earlier this year and by various articles written in the past, it sounds like he and the audio team have a few tricks and surprises in store for FM5. Can't wait!
Chances that he's shared some of that with Lucid/Rare/PGR5?

DD

I didn't expressed myself properly, and I'm sorry for that. What I meant is that what keeps me from finding the sounds great is the lack of other noises besides engine and tires. These are great, but I miss the sounds of the brakes, the suspensions, etc.

Ty4on

Idles change depending on upgrades.

Kind of unrelated, but is the idle still 800RPM for all cars? Never got FM3, but while a silly thing to be mad at it just made the cars feel a bit unloved. Like they put specs into a machine that made the cars which with the sound, driving model and models I know is wrong.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Kind of unrelated, but is the idle still 800RPM for all cars? Never got FM3, but while a silly thing to be mad at it just made the cars feel a bit unloved. Like they put specs into a machine that made the cars which with the sound, driving model and models I know is wrong.

Yes, all cars idle at 800rpm.

It's largely pointless but a nice little touch which adds to the detail and accuracy of the cars.

Mascot

Hey there, I did try to investigate further (see this post), but without further cases being reported along with the circumstances in which this happened there's not really much to go on unfortunately..

Thanks for that Helios, I appreciate your efforts. It's weird that the same problem has affected a few GAFers, but I can find no mention of it elsewhere on the web, even on the official FM forums. Is it really limited to just a few unfortunate GAF players? It does make me wonder whether the problem is related to the GAF car club in some way. It's a shame the problem can't be identified because it means it'll probably never get fixed, and might carry forward to FM5.

Ooh, while you are here, Helios: how about some titbits on FM5. Something? Anything?

saladine1

Chances that he's shared some of that with Lucid/Rare/PGR5?
I'm pretty sure that next gen assets such as audio will definitely be shared across the board as it was with Playground Games. Unless they give them last gen FM4 assets instead...

The thing is though, I want the next gen audio to be showcased by FM5 first rather than anyone else. Sort of takes the credit away if another team utilizes the new sounds first.

On the other hand, I want PGR5 to sound the best it can so yeah....I don't know.

As has been said, idle still at 800. Sure, it would've been a nice touch to have more accurate idle readings. Situations such as cam upgrades where idle tends to suffer from a lumpier camshaft especially cams with very tight Lobe Separation Angles. To compensate, fast idle would need to be raised.
Then again, how long do we idle for in a race...?

(Another wish Turn 10, let me grind/pick my own camshaft specs. Wide LSA's and medium lift for low end torque, and tight LSA's and higher lift for top end power!)

Here's a quick video showcasing the Mazda RX7 both in FM4 and Pro Street. Both max upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwqsQzt76w

Notice how when I put both cars into 4th gear for takeoff. You can actually hear the NFS RX7's gearbox struggle, jolt and judder as it tries to get into proper rev range. Forza doesn't do this at all.
Also notice how the constant on/off/on/off acceleration sounds when driving in NFS feels/sounds more direct, more instant as opposed to Forza where it feels very sluggish, laggy and indirect.
Also notice the slight clutch play in between shifts. There's a more 'human' feel and sound in NFS as opposed to Forza's 'computer generated' shifts.
The turbo spool, trans whine and BOV sound better in NFS than Forza imo too.

Shaneus

I'm pretty sure that next gen assets such as audio will definitely be shared across the board as it was with Playground Games. Unless they give them last gen FM4 assets instead...

The thing is though, I want the next gen audio to be showcased by FM5 first rather than anyone else. Sort of takes the credit away if another team utilizes the new sounds first.

On the other hand, I want PGR5 to sound the best it can so yeah....I don't know.
Oh, I don't mean assets, I'm more referring to the tech used. If whatever trickery Wiswell can weave with the next FM game can be showcased (even if it's in it's relative infancy) in PGR5 then I'd be over the moon. A "special thanks" in the credits and I'll be happy.

I don't think I mentioned it, but thanks for linking the video to that talk he did earlier this year. Really fascinating stuff. Loved that the guy who did the music for FM3/4 was in the room, too.

saladine1

Oh, I don't mean assets, I'm more referring to the tech used. If whatever trickery Wiswell can weave with the next FM game can be showcased (even if it's in it's relative infancy) in PGR5 then I'd be over the moon. A "special thanks" in the credits and I'll be happy.

I don't think I mentioned it, but thanks for linking the video to that talk he did earlier this year. Really fascinating stuff. Loved that the guy who did the music for FM3/4 was in the room, too.

I'm sure Wiswell will be more than happy to divulge whatever magic there is for PGR5. He will no doubt have a soft spot for the game considering his history with the franchise.

No worries.

Right now I work at Microsoft’s Turn 10 Studio in Redmond, Washington as a 3D Artist. Most days I am doing animation (hand-key and motion capture cleanup), but I also help out with rigging, modeling, and some texture work. I am on a small team and we have to do anything relating to the characters we are in charge of. I hope that last sentence makes sense, I can’t say too much because our game isn’t announced yet. :)

Anything to suggest playable character or NPC in there..?

Also noticed quite a few contract Turn 10 employees have their contracts set to end in November '13.......

Top Bottom