• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

NullPointer said:
Love this game. Absolutely hate the AI.

I think I may have experienced only one race where I wasn't forced off the track, sideswiped or hit in the rear so far. A lot of the time (although not all) they don't seem to realize you're on the track, occupying space. Other times they seem to know but don't care and will careen right into you - like they're trying to cut you off, but miscalculating and slamming into your front sides.

I don't remember Forza 3 being this bad.
I remember when they used to tout how the AI wouldn't drive you off the road if you were coming up on the outside, and now they're calling it a feature!

Xanadu

Banned
i have 2 complains about the AI

first is the AI in world tour mode is a joke. its sooo easy, and every once in a while there will be one AI driver who is really fast and the rest just trail behind like idiots

second is i tested the pro AI on multiplayer on the nurburgring..and they are exactly the same as the hard AI on forza 3

they brake WAY too much and i almost crash into cars every time on the bridge part..why do they brake on a straight?

pmj

What I hate the most about the AI is that it will push you off the track if you're on the racing line and not clearly ahead, just like in Forza 3. If you're ahead, it'll give you the position. If you're side by side, you're getting rammed.

I just finished my first real race of the career and I was awarded... zero credits. Is this intentional?

pmj said:
What I hate the most about the AI is that it will push you off the track if you're on the racing line and not clearly ahead, just like in Forza 3. If you're ahead, it'll give you the position. If you're side by side, you're getting rammed.

I just finished my first real race of the career and I was awarded... zero credits. Is this intentional?

Fanatec wheel set to 900 degrees? There is a bug that gives you zero credits on WT with that set up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
NullPointer said:

I think I may have experienced only one race where I wasn't forced off the track, sideswiped or hit in the rear so far. A lot of the time (although not all) they don't seem to realize you're on the track, occupying space. Other times they seem to know but don't care and will careen right into you - like they're trying to cut you off, but miscalculating and slamming into your front sides.

I don't remember Forza 3 being this bad.

and now that sim damage is a lot less forgiving, i've had more then a few races ended and restarted because the AI inexplicably braked HARD for a corner that didn't need much slowing down for at all, causing me to slam into them and ruining a major component of my vehicle.

the ai is worse, or it sure feels like it is.

antiquegamer said:
Somehow I think they are taking cue from the other racer (Shift) and want to make the race more exciting .. I think they are over doing it. AI constantly run off the track, run me off the track or just simply pile up on one another.

the AI in shift 2 is far better IMO

pmj

Shortt Sirket said:
Fanatec wheel set to 900 degrees? There is a bug that gives you zero credits on WT with that set up.
Yup, Fanatec wheel, but I finished the second race and got credits this time.

Is this random or does it only happen once?

Edit: I read that the solution was to enter the race and then change a difficulty setting and then change it back, but this doesn't work for me. I used this trick for the third race and got no credits. What are the Fanatec owners here doing about this problem?

Sethos

Banned
Loving everything so far but three major issues, for me;

1) You can't use the controller and the wheel at the same time. So when using the wheel, good luck going into photo mode snapping a nice picture, going into the painting menu etc. then you have to go through the sign out / in process with the controller.

2) Photo mode is pretty rough. GT5 did it perfectly, give people a DSLR with DSLR settings and go nuts, results were incredible. Here it's a bit cumbersome, weird and doesn't really make sense. And the fact that you can't really be creative - Outside the fairly limited effects, the scenery settings are too bare to go anything creative. Can't even upload to a stick? Having to wait for that slow ass FM site to upload. Uploaded a photo over an hour ago, still nothing =|

3) The AI. God damn I'm sick of that AI completely oblivious to you that seem to all stick together in a nice bunch. Completely screws up your racing, can't do proper lines, can't do anything and you usually only got 2-3 laps to overtake ... Eugh.

Sethos said:
2) Photo mode is pretty rough. GT5 did it perfectly, give people a DSLR with DSLR settings and go nuts, results were incredible. Here it's a bit cumbersome, weird and doesn't really make sense. And the fact that you can't really be creative - Outside the fairly limited effects, the scenery settings are too bare to go anything creative. Can't even upload to a stick? Having to wait for that slow ass FM site to upload. Uploaded a photo over an hour ago, still nothing =|

Be thankful the compression they used this time around is 1000x better than 3. It was basically impossible to get good-looking shots. Now we've at least got good standard shots and BigShots if you want to go nuts.

sneaky77

NullPointer said:

Agreed, AI seems pretty clueless. Which is shame. There are a couple other things I wish they would have done better and lifted from other games, but overall is a great game so far, but yeah the AI completely ignores you

DasRaven

I'm getting the feeling that the pre-order CR-Z and Clubman are the real unicorns currently.
I've looked everywhere and seemingly no one has them in the US.

Unfortunately, the UK owners who have an abundance of those two probably cannot trade with US owners due to first-party region locking on DLC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sneaky77 said:
Agreed, AI seems pretty clueless. Which is shame. There are a couple other things I wish they would have done better and lifted from other games, but overall is a great game so far, but yeah the AI completely ignores you
It's really fucking annoying. The only flaw of the game thus far for me. And maybe autoupgraded reward cars, but that can go either way.

sneaky77

pmj said:
Yup, Fanatec wheel, but I finished the second race and got credits this time.

Is this random or does it only happen once?

Edit: I read that the solution was to enter the race and then change a difficulty setting and then change it back, but this doesn't work for me. I used this trick for the third race and got no credits. What are the Fanatec owners here doing about this problem?

change the wheel to 270 degrees, problem fixed.

Is there any way to join your fellow club members in a race other than being invited?
How can I see whos online and whos racing? Gamer card?

op_ivy

enzo_gt said:
It's really fucking annoying. The only flaw of the game thus far for me. And maybe autoupgraded reward cars, but that can go either way.

you can undo the auto-upgrade in the upgrade shop, right?

Liquidsnake said:
Is there any way to join your fellow club members in a race other than being invited?
How can I see whos online and whos racing? Gamer card?

YES...I can't figure this out either. Well time to FINALLY leave work -- time for Forza 4 Weekend! See you guys in a couple of hours for some racing!

op_ivy said:
you can undo the auto-upgrade in the upgrade shop, right?

Yeah. I think they wanted to do it t make the Reward Cars "even" to a degree. I don't mind because it can mean free money if you want to convert it to stock. Although the computer chooses some odd things for its auto upgrade system.

nagge

The satisfaction when getting that perfect downshift and hitting the brake point perfectly, wow, full immersion.
Although I'm still struggling a bit with consistency I've started to come down in lap times.

Haven't run across the Fanatec bug, then again i don't use 900dg but 400 I think.

Sierra Cosworth with upgraded turbos at B500 around Infineon's Nascar layout is pure bliss.

Man, I need to switch to using manual. Only since GT5 have I been using a wheel and pedals and the adjustment has been a fun one, but not so much for my times haha!

I might just make the switch and force myself to basically baby step it back to where I'm even remotely decent. With Rivals I can really see the difference this makes.

Also, I use one foot for braking and gas, is applying both like that picture really a good way to go about it? I will have to try to use clutch/manual soon. I actually loaned my Carrera wheel out and that was the shifter I was using ... so it will have to be paddle shifters.

sneaky77

antiquegamer said:
Somehow I think they are taking cue from the other racer (Shift) and want to make the race more exciting .. I think they are over doing it. AI constantly run off the track, run me off the track or just simply pile up on one another.

In Shift 2 if I raced clean, the AI for the most part was pretty clean and didn't bump me of the road, unless I messed up or slowed down way too much

pmj said:
That's what I'm doing, but it's hardly a fix.

op_ivy, how about accepting me to your club?

I agree, but until turn 10 releases a patch is all we have

drugstore_cowboy said:
Haven't got around to playng it yet, should I change the wheel to 270 or is there an ingame setting?

There is no setting on the game, I changed it on the wheel itself.

Mr.Green said:
Yeah... He could also play with a gamepad to fix the problem but maybe he'd like to use the 900 degrees of his wheel... ;-)

Just before the race (car on the starting line):

* Start - Difficulty - Change something.
* Press A to save.
* Go back to the difficulty settings - change it back.
* Press A to save.
* If you ever restart the race, I think you have to rinse and repeat.

I can't personally guarantee it works, but a friend I trust from another forum says it worked 100% for him.

I have a wheel. I would like to use the 900 degrees, but until there is a patch is what we have. The difficulty setting from what I understand is not 100%, and I find it too annoying to have to do every race. But yes that's another work around worth trying.

op_ivy

pmj said:
That's what I'm doing, but it's hardly a fix.

op_ivy, how about accepting me to your club?

sure thing, did you send a request? i'm at work but i'll definitely add you, or anyone else, when i get home (~2.5 hours).

sneaky77 said:
In Shift 2 if I raced clean, the AI for the most part was pretty clean and didn't bump me of the road, unless I messed up or slowed down way too much

exactly. if you were overly aggressive, you'd definitely get in some major mishaps, but for the most part the AI is really quite aware of the player in shift 2 at all times and it was never all that difficult to get a clean race against them. fm3? forget about it.

Mr.Green

sneaky77 said:
change the wheel to 270 degrees, problem fixed.
Yeah... He could also play with a gamepad to fix the problem but maybe he'd like to use the 900 degrees of his wheel... ;-)

* Press A to save.
* Press A to save.

I can't personally guarantee it works, but a friend I trust from another forum says it worked 100% for him.

Ty4on

Xanadu said:
they brake WAY too much and i almost crash into cars every time on the bridge part..why do they brake on a straight?
It's because the racing line they follow, the same one you can turn on, will try to keep your car from losing grip and according to the physics engine jumping is losing grip. Makes a lot of sense before/in a corner, you can't brake or corner in mid air so the AI/people using the racing line would just crash. That said they should tweak it on tracks like the ring and maple walley. It's so annoying when they can't jump in a straight line.

nagge said:
Sierra Cosworth with upgraded turbos at B500 around Infineon's Nascar layout is pure bliss.
My pure bliss moment last night was rocketing around the Alps in an A600 288 GTO with aero kit. Just amazing. I put it in the GAF garage, but saw later that Seanspeed has a nigh identical one up, so I may yank it.

sneaky77 said:
My experience too. Shift 2 features more trading paint that other sims, but Forza 4 wears that crown now. Just wish there was a way to tell the game that I prefer a clean race where possible.

Something else I'm not sure about that maybe others have noticed. It seems like the AI becomes much easier to outpace and pass on the last lap of a race. The first few laps may be a contest, but the last lap always seems far easier. Is it just me?

I'll end this post on a positive, and that's that I just prefer the driving handling in Forza 4 compared to 3. I can notice a real improvement in my driving pleasure with the muscle cars and classic rides this time around. Its a combination of the cars feeling a little more loose, yet more controlled in terms of body roll. Not sure if I know enough about these things to comment on the exact reasons - but the end result keeps me free roaming tracks purely for kicks.

Xanadu

Banned
my best moment was driving my xj220 round the ring. no engine upgrades just suspension, weight kit and race tires. best handling ever!

CrudeDiatribe said:
My pure bliss moment last night was rocketing around the Alps in an A600 288 GTO with aero kit. Just amazing. I put it in the GAF garage, but saw later that Seanspeed has a nigh identical one up, so I may yank it.

I have a GTO A Class too. It is just an amazing car for A class and my absolute favorite Ferrari of all time. I miss the F40 swap though.

SarBear

Best Buy FINALLY sent me another BMW 1 M code. God, that took a few moments, but it was worth it. Now I can return the damn game and get my money back.

>=)

pmj

Mr.Green said:

* Press A to save.
* Press A to save.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me, at least not in the one race I tried it in. It seems to be a strange bug that does different things for different people.
Edit: never mind, I probably misunderstood what you need to do. Will try again.

op_ivy

Xanadu said:
my best moment was driving my xj220 round the ring. no engine upgrades just suspension, weight kit and race tires. best handling ever!

my best was rivals racing in Amalfi with the Stratos. so good! i love racing with traffic and i love me some positano. didn't hurt that on my first lap i soundly beat Flying Piranha's rolling start clean lap! then, on the second, beating big takeovers =)

Raudi

MULTI SCREEN BUG: When loading a Design from Catalog save or a Design purchased from storefront - the Game hangs forever on "Saving content" screen

Workaround: TURN OFF MULTISCREEN

Credit to noshir on fm.net forum for figuring out the solution in the thread I posted there.

Seanspeed

Banned
CrudeDiatribe said:
Is yours pretty heavily tuned? My setup is only tweaked a bit from stock. Still working on it, but it handles like a dream. Its got great turn-in, great high-corner stability and grip, and you can get pretty confident under braking with it as well.

My plan today(in a couple minutes actually) is to work on some more cars to race online with and to improve my knowledge of the new tracks. I'll be glad to join anyone racing online too, of course. Usually I shy away from online in the beginning, but you get a pretty good amount of credits and XP for doing it now, so there's no excuse for staying in single-player all the time.

skyfinch

Because of the AI, I am glad there is a rewind feature, otherwise I would have quit playing. They're cut throat at times.

Even worst is when you finish a long, hard fought race with those bastard AI.....then it throws you into heat 2, and you have to do it all over again.

Anyway, going to try my best to finish world tour and get that out of the way. Then it's gonna get real ugly with Rival's mode. I'm tired of getting messages of people beating my times. Every time the message pops up, it's like a dagger to my heart....and even if I don't show it physically, I cry a little bit inside.

Mr.Green

sneaky77 said:
I have a wheel. I would like to use the 900 degrees, but until there is a patch is what we have. The difficulty setting from what I understand is not 100%, and I find it too annoying to have to do every race. But yes that's another work around worth trying.

My guess is that people only save once and don't save between the difficulty settings "toggle".

I agree that it's a fucking PITA but going from 900° to 270° is a pretty drastic change...

Man, I just thought I was a terrible driver (probably still am) but I noticed that about the AI too. They don't even seem to notice you there unless your entire car is past the 50/50 point of their car. Kind of sucks ... but I plan on doing rivals more than career haha!

Mr.Green

Oh btw, last night I was trying to get to #1 in my car club on a Rivals challenge, and when I finally succeeded: 0 credit bug.

Talk about a bitter-sweet victory.

Seanspeed

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Man, I just thought I was a terrible driver (probably still am) but I noticed that about the AI too. They don't even seem to notice you there unless your entire car is past the 50/50 point of their car. Kind of sucks ... but I plan on doing rivals more than career haha!
They can be bad at times and great at others. I had a race yesterday at Motegi East(or West, whichever the shortest one is) where me and the lead AI driver stayed side-by-side throughout 2 entire laps. Not exaggerating, either. I was usually on the outside and they respectfully stayed on the inside of me and never drove out of the corner too hard or came across to swipe me. It wasn't until I got a bit tough and cut them off going onto the start/finish straight that they actually fell in-line behind me.

Seanspeed said:
They can be bad at times and great at others. I had a race yesterday at Motegi East(or West, whichever the shortest one is) where me and the lead AI driver stayed side-by-side throughout 2 entire laps. Not exaggerating, either. I was usually on the outside and they respectfully stayed on the inside of me and never drove out of the corner too hard or came across to swipe me. It wasn't until I got a bit tough and cut them off going onto the start/finish straight that they actually fell in-line behind me.
Does Forza use different AI to model different driver personalities? Maybe its a mix of skilled drivers and insane drivers on the grid using slightly different settings to their driving AI? I'm pretty sure the Shift series does this.

If so, a few bad apples can really cause serious trouble, but if they fall behind you can have much better races. There always seems to be one driver that can barely manage to stay on the track, and at least one other that's aggressive as hell and loves to smack other cars around.

Really loving the game so far. Can see it getting a lot of time in my 360 even with the hectic release schedule and honours dissertation to be worked on.

NullPointer said:
My experience too. Shift 2 features more trading paint that other sims, but Forza 4 wears that crown now. Just wish there was a way to tell the game that I prefer a clean race where possible.

Something else I'm not sure about that maybe others have noticed. It seems like the AI becomes much easier to outpace and pass on the last lap of a race. The first few laps may be a contest, but the last lap always seems far easier. Is it just me?

I'll end this post on a positive, and that's that I just prefer the driving handling in Forza 4 compared to 3. I can notice a real improvement in my driving pleasure with the muscle cars and classic rides this time around. Its a combination of the cars feeling a little more loose, yet more controlled in terms of body roll. Not sure if I know enough about these things to comment on the exact reasons - but the end result keeps me free roaming tracks purely for kicks.

Yes I noticed that also. Not on all races but many race you can easily catch up during final lap. It's seems ai go slower....

Yeah, need to get the career out of the way and just play rival and do the grid.

I agree about AI on shift, it's agressive but only in response to you. I wish that game has better physics ... instead of trying to straddle between sim and arcade and being neither.

Sorry, another question. I fired Forza up and it gifted me the cars based on what I have in my Forza 3 garage but I'm missing some that never got bought like the LFA and DeLorean.

As I have millions of unused credits will buying the missing cars now in Forza 3 let me transfer them over or have I lost out?

Are there any website that learn you how to properly tune stuff.
Im now in a part of life where driving is actually a possibility due to age restriction and money.
And so cars are growing onto me.

drugstore_cowboy said:
Sorry, another question. I fired Forza up and it gifted me the cars based on what I have in my Forza 3 garage but I'm missing some that never got bought like the LFA and DeLorean.

As I have millions of unused credits will buying the missing cars now in Forza 3 let me transfer them over or have I lost out?
I am fairly positive that you can do the import from Forza 3 only once.

As for tunes, buying them from the Storefront can be a good idea. There are some amazing tuning shops out there with some good deals on their tunes. They each have their own "style," do look around until you find some that fit your racing style.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
SarBear said:
All right; so which one of you dickteases put the Honda CR-Z EX on the club garage?

hahaha I was going to post mine but someone already did.

I found new options it seems pre-race on the difficulty tab o_O brb

Top Bottom