• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Gowans

Shortt Sirket said:
A Co-Leader spot will always be waiting for you when you get back Gowans! You did a great job thru all the stress of the initial craziness.
Thanks man. I'll enjoy my break now and putting extra time back into playing this awesome game.

Yoritomo

Big Takeover said:
The taking a while? That would be unfortunate.

Yup. Given that 900 degree wheel owners are a minority I'm sure other bugs that affect more people take precedence.

Is there a bug thread on FM.net?

There are 5 I know of that are irritating but will probably take a long time to get fixed.

1. Heat 2 on Infineon, the left screen in a triple screen setup is always screwed up, either showing the wall, your own car from the other side or some random polygons, it fixes itself when you get to the first corner.

2. Streaming custom soundtracks from a networked PC doesn't work in triple screen. When you get to a loading screen your main machine will freeze. It will also regularly make the game stutter on the side screens and sometimes drop frames on the main screen (this is sort of understandable due to network traffic I guess, I'm not ever expecting a fix for this. So I just use my iPod for custom soundtrack.)

3. 0 Credits bug on 900 degree setting with fanatec wheels.

4. Steering ratio bug on 900 degree setting with fanatec wheels.

5. Vinyl/Design file corruption that people are misinterpreting as the main save game being corrupt.

sneaky77

Yoritomo said:
Yup. Given that 900 degree wheel owners are a minority I'm sure other bugs that affect more people take precedence.

There are 4 I know of that are irritating but will probably take a long time to get fixed.

1. Heat 2 on Infineon, the left screen in a triple screen setup is always screwed up, either showing the wall, your own car from the other side or some random polygons, it fixes itself when you get to the first corner.

2. Streaming custom soundtracks from a networked PC doesn't work in triple screen. When you get to a loading screen your main machine will freeze. It will also regularly make the game stutter on the side screens and sometimes drop frames on the main screen (this is sort of understandable due to network traffic I guess, I'm not ever expecting a fix for this. So I just use my iPod for custom soundtrack.)

3. 0 Credits bug on 900 degree setting with fanatec wheels.

4. Steering ratio bug on 900 degree setting with fanatec wheels.

I am sure there are threads, I know there is one for the no credit bug, which since I changed it to 270 has not happened again.

G Rom

SarBear said:
TBH, I wasn't impressed with Autovista. I know, it's there to cater to certain individuals, but I really feel it was such a waste of time given the small amount of vehicles on display. I would have much rather taken even ONE more real world circuit over that entire feature.
If what Turn 10 kept saying in interview about incubating shaders and lighting in Autovista is true then thank god for Autovista. I also think that it's a nice peek at what next gen will hold for racing games.
Imagine racing in a cockpit close to an Autovista LOD in 1080p with motion blur, all while you see the sunset when emerging of Eau Rouge, your screen whipers trying to work they way through the pouring rain typical of the Ardennes region and the water sent by one of the 20+ smart AI populating the track.

One can dream, right ?

SarBear

G Rom said:
If what Turn 10 kept saying in interview about incubating shaders and lighting in Autovista is true then thank god for Autovista. I also think that it's a nice peek at what next gen will hold for racing games.
Imagine racing in a cockpit close to an Autovista LOD in 1080p with motion blur, all while you see the sunset when emerging of Eau Rouge, your screen whipers trying to work they way through the pouring rain typical of the Ardennes region and the water sent by one of the 20+ smart AI populating the track.

One can dream, right ?

I can appreciate the tech being utilized within the feature, don't get me wrong, however I personally think it adds absolutely nothing to this current game. I'm with you in dreaming of a scenario such as that, but judging by Dan's perception of the market, weather effects are irrelevant. :/

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm not usually one to request assists, but i hope fm5 has the option to turn collisions off - at least if the ai continues to be so blind to my presence.

Yoritomo said:

*Bugs*
This was tacked onto the tail end of the title update info:

We continue to monitor for gameplay issues, and are investigating a number of these--including a few related to the 900-degree wheel--for a future title update. Please let us know if you run into any problems here on the forums or by e-mailing us at forzafb@microsoft.com. Thanks for playing and we’ll see you online!
900° was called out specifically, and there's an address for bugs. I've sent them my Speed Wheel issues.

Gowans007 said:
M0dus still is, I need a break ;)

You did fine. More than anybody else was willing to do especially with being democratic about it. Enjoy the game for what it is.

END WORK ... damn I want to play. My girlfriend mocks me when I have a tray next to my setup with the remote, some booze, and some snacks ... at least I think she does as I have that shit turned up too loud to hear her.

skyfinch

Gowans007 said:
Thanks man. I'll enjoy my break now and putting extra time back into playing this awesome game.

You're still going to play online races, I hope. This is the first Forza I've played online, and it's a blast, especially with gaf members.

In other news, I have a purty mouf.....

Gowans

skyfinch said:
You're still going to play online races, I hope. This is the first Forza I've played online, and it's a blast, especially with gaf members.

In other news, I have a purty mouf.....
Defo online has been amazing the last few nights.

Custom nameable lobbies make it easy.

Down for some in an hour or after.

Gowans007 said:
Defo online has been amazing the last few nights.

Custom nameable lobbies make it easy.

Another possibly "stupid" question. Before I got an invite, I was trying to find where to "search" for GAF lobbies. I am I just missing it somewhere in the menus?

Yoritomo

Big Takeover said:
This was tacked onto the tail end of the title update info:

900° was called out specifically, and there's an address for bugs. I've sent them my Speed Wheel issues.

Cool I just sent an e-mail with the issues I've noticed. They might not listen to everything but it's cool that they communicate and take feedback from their fans/users.

skyfinch said:
I will wait a few years then re-do rivals. By then, most of you will have moved on to other games, and when I finally beat some of your times, you won't be around to defend your times. I had this planned out since E3!
Wake me when your Top Gear lap is below 1:50.

:p

Yoritomo

op_ivy said:
i'm not usually one to request assists, but i hope fm5 has the option to turn collisions off - at least if the ai continues to be so blind to my presence.

I'm always trying to get in front as fast as possible so I can get a clean lap in for a decent leaderboard position with that config.

Also what is the timing for clutch launches, I think this is affecting my top gear leaderboard time and will obviously affect my drag times. I guess I need to experiment, does the clutch need to be full depressed when the race starts or can I hold it at a catch point without damaging the tranny? If I ty to do a clutchless launch it seems to lag slightly if using manual with clutch.

MarleyManiac said:
I am down...had fun with you guys last night!

It was fun, I was only around for two races, then I couldn't find anyone when I logged back in.

Is there an easier way to find out who in my club is in a race so I can join them?

saladine1

SarBear said:
I can appreciate the tech being utilized within the feature, don't get me wrong, however I personally think it adds absolutely nothing to this current game. I'm with you in dreaming of a scenario such as that, but judging by Dan's perception of the market, weather effects are irrelevant. :/
Yeah, but Dan said the same thing about cockpit views. When asked about them around FM2 I think it was, he said that he didn't like them because he felt they impeded on vision....then BAM...cockpit views in FM3.
So, if he keeps on repeating his disdain for weather now, it should mean we'll be getting rain for FM5.......and night........and better tracks.......and Porsche........

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yoritomo said:
I'm always trying to get in front as fast as possible so I can get a clean lap in for a decent leaderboard position with that config.

Also what is the timing for clutch launches, I think this is affecting my top gear leaderboard time and will obviously affect my drag times. I guess I need to experiment, does the clutch need to be full depressed when the race starts or can I hold it at a catch point without damaging the tranny? If I ty to do a clutchless launch it seems to lag slightly if using manual with clutch.

yeah, one of the reasons i'm loving my subarus is the insane launches. the AI at the start of the race even regularly trade paint, bounce, and slam into each other too! i really dont remember them this bad in FM3, and it makes me really laugh that people slammed the AI in shift 2

Yoritomo said:

I usually get the revs up and hit the clutch at the end of the countdown. I noticed I was getting ahead of you on the Top Gear lap, but god damn you are a beast in the corners. How do you get that much speed in the hammerhead?

Tabs

Hawk269 said:
My only suggestion and this was the one I had a while back was that more than one club be created. My only reason for this is the "time sink" we invest into the club. In real world terms, imagine if you worked a week to beat let's say 20 rival races, you uploaded 3-4 rare/expensive cars, set multiple records helping advance the clubs ranking then you wake up to see who beat you and you have a message waiting saying that you are no longer in the club.
I echo this sentiment. With that, good luck with the new ownership position Shortt :) See you (or your ghost more likely) on the track.

Wazzim

Banned
SarBear said:
I bet he won't find them irrelevant if he gets an all new shiny Xbox 720 to work with.

shadowkhas

Neo Member
I'll gladly try my hand at some GAF racing tonight, if there's a spot open. :)
I sent an FR to Shortt and Big Takeover, just a heads up. I want to be able to see how I stack up against you guys.

Yoritomo

soundscream said:
I usually get the revs up and hit the clutch at the end of the countdown. I noticed I was getting ahead of you on the Top Gear lap, but god damn you are a beast in the corners. How do you get that much speed in the hammerhead?

Trail braking, I don't know if you can watch my lap with telemetry on but I'm not braking a huge amount at the beginning of the hammerhead, I brake enough to slow so I can cut the little left a bit before the main right arc of the hammerhead and slow there. The keys to a really fast lap are launch, chicago, and hammerhead. If I could launch better I'd cut about a half second I bet, I'm getting hammerhead right but I need to get chicago down better to get with the crazy fast guys.

pmj

I'm a bit late with this response regarding the club, but I just woke up.

The idea that everything will be fine after a month and that we should accept a sub-par experience until then is a terrible argument. What you're saying is that it's OK if most people have a poor experience playing the game during the period that they actually play the game, and that after they quit it'll be fine for those who stay. What kind of logic is that?

I don't think there needs to be a change in leadership, just a second club. It can be op_ivy's club, or the one with a GAF name that someone else said he might start. The only thing that needs to be done is to choose one and then funnel people over to it. If possible, I'd also like to see the GAF liveries shared between the clubs. It's not too late to do this. People are still being kicked from the main club and they'll need somewhere to go. We shouldn't just leave them to fend for themselves, we should actively direct them as well as all new arrivals to the second club.

Yoritomo said:
Trail braking, I don't know if you can watch my lap with telemetry on but I'm not braking a huge amount at the beginning of the hammerhead, I brake enough to slow so I can cut the little left a bit before the main right arc of the hammerhead and slow there. The keys to a really fast lap are launch, chicago, and hammerhead. If I could launch better I'd cut about a half second I bet, I'm getting hammerhead right but I need to get chicago down better to get with the crazy fast guys.
motor_trailbraking_web.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I see downed cones in my future :eek:

Yoritomo

soundscream said:
http://anthonycalvert.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/motor_trailbraking_web.jpg[IMG]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I see downed cones in my future :o[/QUOTE]

It's really really effective in Forza 4, the weight transfer to the front tires has a really nice effect on turn in. Basically using the brakes to increase turn in due to weight transfer and using the brakes/throttle to balance the car. The lotus 111 is a big example of this being a somewhat softly sprung MR car with heavy rear bias and soft front suspension. If you're not really delicate with your braking on turn in you'll get a ton of oversteer.

Yoritomo said:
It's really really effective in Forza 4, the weight transfer to the front tires has a really nice effect on turn in. Basically using the brakes to increase turn in due to weight transfer and using the brakes/throttle to balance the car. The lotus 111 is a big example of this being a somewhat softly sprung MR car with heavy rear bias and soft front suspension. If you're not really delicate with your braking on turn in you'll get a ton of oversteer.
I am anything but delicate.....

I have been trying to learn more with each Forza.

F1 had every assist on
F2 Took off Stability Control, and only used breaking line.
F3 Manual, No line.
F4 Manual/Clutch, no Traction Control.

I still use ABS Im not ready to give that up.

sneaky77

yeah I am trying with no assists and is the first time I am ever using a wheel so is quite a learning experience.. I feel like I lose the car too much sometimes when I shouldn't. any tips? I try to be smooth on it, but if I push it I seem to lose it time and time again.

do you guys use one foot on break and one on gas, or the right foot for both like a regular car?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the 1:42's with the reasonably priced car challenge, but I can't figure out how my rivals are getting off the line so much quicker. Does using the clutch make that big of a difference for them?

SCHUEY F1 said:
I'm in the 1:42's with the reasonably priced car challenge, but I can't figure out how my rivals are getting off the line so much quicker. Does using the clutch make that big of a difference for them?
Yes

SCHUEY F1 said:

Not sure if it's like other rival challenges but just do a lap and keep going. Most of the time it's the second lap that is the fastest because it's rolling start.

guest1321

sneaky77 said:
yeah I am trying with no assists and is the first time I am ever using a wheel so is quite a learning experience.. I feel like I lose the car too much sometimes when I shouldn't. any tips? I try to be smooth on it, but if I push it I seem to lose it time and time again.

do you guys use one foot on break and one on gas, or the right foot for both like a regular car?
The key word here is: GENTLE. With the gas and brake (without assists), if you romp on them going into corners and out you are going to find that the car spins out every single time. Ease into them and when you start hearing the tires squeal then you know you are pushing the limits. It is a bit of a learning curve but once you find that sweet spot it makes the game so much more fun!
I don't know how you guys do it with the clutch. I have all assists off but I can't make that leap into using the clutch yet. Kinda funny since I drive a manual irl.

sneaky77

flyinpiranha said:
Not sure if it's like other rival challenges but just do a lap and keep going. Most of the time it's the second lap that is the fastest because it's rolling start.

the top gear challenge is a dead start, no multiple laps

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
soundscream said:

I see. Either I need to start using the clutch, which I probably won't or settle for the time I have. I might be able to shave a bit more off by taking the Hammerhead better though.

Yoritomo

soundscream said:
I am anything but delicate.....

I have been trying to learn more with each Forza.

F1 had every assist on
F2 Took off Stability Control, and only used breaking line.
F3 Manual, No line.
F4 Manual/Clutch, no Traction Control.

I still use ABS Im not ready to give that up.

Give up ABS, the punishment will train you to limit brake and trail brake properly. It will be a painful transition but it's worth it. Also adjust the deadzones for braking before you do this, otherwise it's really really painful. I don't turn off ABS to show off, I turn it off because it forces me to always drive with braking pressure in mind.

shadowkhas said:
I'll gladly try my hand at some GAF racing tonight, if there's a spot open. :)
I sent an FR to Shortt and Big Takeover, just a heads up. I want to be able to see how I stack up against you guys.
I don't usually do a ton of online racing, but sure, you're more than welcome to join up. You'll house me, no doubt. I'm more into having fun with Gaffers than beating anybody really. I haven't done too many iRacingish serious bidness races in Forza. All just good fun kind of stuff.

Because I don't have the wireless headset, and I'm using the Speed Wheel, the first turn I ever did with a controller was when heading into turn 1 with a dozen of these dummies on my ass!
KuGsj.gif

Yoritomo said:
Give up ABS, the punishment will train you to limit brake and trail brake properly. It will be a painful transition but it's worth it. Also adjust the deadzones for braking before you do this, otherwise it's really really painful. I don't turn off ABS to show off, I turn it off because it forces me to always drive with braking pressure in mind.
Any settings you would recommend for the dead zones?

Love this game. Absolutely hate the AI.

I think I may have experienced only one race where I wasn't forced off the track, sideswiped or hit in the rear so far. A lot of the time (although not all) they don't seem to realize you're on the track, occupying space. Other times they seem to know but don't care and will careen right into you - like they're trying to cut you off, but miscalculating and slamming into your front sides.

I don't remember Forza 3 being this bad.

Yoritomo

soundscream said:
Any settings you would recommend for the dead zones?

Depends on setup. I'd only leave any deadzone at all if you have the fanatec standard pedals, otherwise for all the other ones 0 100 unless there's something up with your controller.

SCHUEY F1 said:
I see. Either I need to start using the clutch, which I probably won't or settle for the time I have. I might be able to shave a bit more off by taking the Hammerhead better though.

I have a lot of problem with Bacharach Bend (the turn before last). I have hard time judging where I can brake and a lot of time I panic and brake too soon.

Been playing FM4 since 13:00 GMT. It's now 20:00 GMT and I'm at level 16. Got to say it's a seriously excellent game, far better than FM3. Right now I'm listening to the menu music as that alone is so good!
Complaints? Well, no big ones but; Silverstone is pre-2010 and the Nurb GP is out of date as is the Nord. But that's not an issue as they do all look better anyway. Some races only have 8 cars *shrug*.
Not sure if the AI uses catch up because whenever I race I'm usually in front by halfway round the first lap. Then I keep having the AI on my tail. Hmmm. Guess it's okay (might just be me).
It does look good. A bit jaggy but not unpleasantly so. Love the Homespace and the Auto vista. Going to go mad with the photo's later. And yes, you can make short videos of your replays!
All in all a fine game.

NullPointer said:
Love this game. Absolutely hate the AI.

I think I may have experienced only one race where I wasn't forced off the track, sideswiped or hit in the rear so far. A lot of the time (although not all) they don't seem to realize you're on the track, occupying space. Other times they seem to know but don't care and will careen right into you - like they're trying to cut you off, but miscalculating and slamming into your front sides.

I don't remember Forza 3 being this bad.

Somehow I think they are taking cue from the other racer (Shift) and want to make the race more exciting .. I think they are over doing it. AI constantly run off the track, run me off the track or just simply pile up on one another.

Top Bottom