• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Branson

Kifimbo said:
Also agree with this.
It truly is one of the reasons why I haven't picked f4 up yet. I just don't have fun racing only 3 laps and winning by 10 seconds. No real race series, amateur and pro that l know anyway, have races that are only 2-5 laps. It's annoying. And its one of the major problems I have with console sims.

Branson said:
It truly is one of the reasons why I haven't picked f4 up yet. I just don't have fun racing only 3 laps and winning by 10 seconds. No real race series, amateur and pro that l know anyway, have races that are only 2-5 laps. It's annoying. And its one of the major problems I have with console sims.

But FM3 has 7, 9, 11 laps in some events. That's long enough. Then it had the endurance races which were 1 hour long and honestly, does it hurt to have them available in F4 too? Is there some sort of complication we don't know about? Is it hard to allow us to change the number of laps in quick/single race? Does Turn 10 get any sort of pleasure by not implementing such basic things? Some things just don't make sense.

cajunator said:
Well I just picked the game up so hopefully it's worth it.
How is the damage modeling in this one?

It's much better visually, and have heard it said that the internal damage is more severe as well.

I should post the replay of Slayer 33's S-class MR2 being pushed across the finish line by a C-class HUMMER after his car was totalled.

skyfinch

-bakalhau- said:
But FM3 has 7, 9, 11 laps in some events. That's long enough. Then it had the endurance races which were 1 hour long and honestly, does it hurt to have them available in F4 too? Is there some sort of complication we don't know about? Is it hard to allow us to change the number of laps in quick/single race? Does Turn 10 get any sort of pleasure by not implementing such basic things? Some things just don't make sense.

My biggest gripe in FM3 was the cockpits, so I was very pleased to see the improvements. Zero options in quick race was my second biggest gripe. Sure, you could just go into muliplayer and make a private race, in order to pick laps and AI, but this is only available if you have a gold membership.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The learning curve with a bucketseat/wheel is moderate for me, I'm going to have to get an air wheel man, best compromise.

I pull a 2:10, dirty @ nurb GP full fast pass and I do 2:04:xx clean with a controller.. God dammit, I feel like the training wheels are off when I play with the wheel.

If the air wheel is an control upgrade over the controller I have a feeling that I would compete with the top 10 leader board players for certain tracks.

CrudeDiatribe said:
It's much better visually, and have heard it said that the internal damage is more severe as well.

I should post the replay of Slayer 33's S-class MR2 being pushed across the finish line by a C-class HUMMER after his car was totalled.

LOL... I was on wireless >_> anyway that car had too much power to handle sometimes with a controller.

I was a lap down but whoever pushed me across thought I was done lol..

cajunator said:
I saw an Aventador in the very first race but it doesn't show up in the game. Is it going to be download only?

Was probably just a Reventon. They look similar, especially since you race against ones that are other colors besides black.

cajunator

Banned
Ah yeah. Probably was. I don't think this game has an Aventador.
It does have a Reventon.
I like the overall choices, and especially being able to drive my Ford Fusion again :)

G Rom

cajunator said:
I saw an Aventador in the very first race but it doesn't show up in the game. Is it going to be download only?
That was a painted Reventon you saw.
Don't worry though, we know they've been working on the Aventor so it's 99%sure tthat it will end up in one of the DLCs. If DLC is anything like FM3, it could even be in the first one since it's one of the hottest supercar at the moment and FM3's first DLC was basically a compilation of that (GT-R, 458, etc...). They probably did that to get maximum sales since after the first one or two months, it will be mostly hardcores buying DLCs.

IIRC, BADNED said the first DLC packed some great stuff.

Hyoushi

-bakalhau- said:
Wait, what? F4 doesn't have endurance races? Sounds crazy.

Mr.Green

Slayer-33 said:
The learning curve with a bucketseat/wheel is moderate for me, I'm going to have to get an air wheel man, best compromise.

I pull a 2:10, dirty @ nurb GP full fast pass and I do 2:04:xx clean with a controller.. God dammit, I feel like the training wheels are off when I play with the wheel.

If the air wheel is an control upgrade over the controller I have a feeling that I would compete with the top 10 leader board players for certain tracks.

You used the right words. The regular controller really has training wheels. Even in "simulation" the steering seems more forgiving.

If you're only interested about lap times, the pad is the way to go. Training wheels aside, there is no way in hell guys with wheels/pedals/shifter can shift as quickly and easily as guys pressing two buttons.

I wish there were separate leaderboards for the different input methods.

I also wish T10 tested their licensed Fanatec wheels with their game prior to release. =/

Speaking of them... I remember some of them used to post here from time to time... You guys managed to troll them away for good or something? ;-)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Believe it or not, Forza 4 was the game I bought an Xbox 360 for. I'd say it was worth it. The game is a lot of fun, but the simulation physics are nowhere near what a lot of people claim they are. I drive with all assists off, sim mode, etc. as well.

Immensely fun game, and arguably the best looking racer though. Modding is a lot of fun in the game, as well.

AlphaSnake said:
Believe it or not, Forza 4 was the game I bought an Xbox 360 for. I'd say it was worth it. The game is a lot of fun, but the simulation physics are nowhere near what a lot of people claim they are. I drive with all assists off, sim mode, etc. as well.

Immensely fun game, and arguably the best looking racer though. Modding is a lot of fun in the game, as well.

Have you tried the 370z yet? With suspension tuning, the car is SO planted. Very fun to drive.

cajunator

Banned
It feels less "sim" than GT and that's why I particularly like it.
You can fuck around more in this game. Sometimes I like to just take a supercar, go on Montegi circuit with free race and drive backwards into stuff for hours. SO fun lol.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
Have you tried the 370z yet? With suspension tuning, the car is SO planted. Very fun to drive.

Just grabbed one last night actually. Buying up Nissans at the moment. Got a 240SX, added some very mild mods and having fun with it. Won a '69 Fairlady Z, love it.

I'm also underwhelmed with the 1/4 mile Top Gear track. The results are really inaccurate or the clock is running too fast. Every car is running 1-second slower through the game's 1/4 mile than what it does in real life. I think it's also because the clock begins as soon as the stage loads up, as opposed to starting when your front wheels cross the line, like an actual drag strip. Trap speeds seem to be about accurate, though.

I'm an overly obsessed gearhead and a nitpicker though, so I'm by no means shitting on the game. It's still a high 9s title for me. I will be playing this for a long, long time.

AlphaSnake said:
Just grabbed one last night actually. Buying up Nissans at the moment. Got a 240SX, added some very mild mods and having fun with it. Won a '69 Fairlady Z, love it.

I'm also underwhelmed with the 1/4 mile Top Gear track. The results are really inaccurate or the clock is running too fast. Every car is running 1-second slower through the game's 1/4 mile than what it does in real life. I think it's also because the clock begins as soon as the stage loads up, as opposed to starting when your front wheels cross the line, like an actual drag strip. Trap speeds seem to be about accurate, though.

I'm an overly obsessed gearhead and a nitpicker though, so I'm by no means shitting on the game. It's still a high 9s title for me. I will be playing this for a long, long time.

That is because you are doing it in Free Drive. Go do a drag event in Single Race and compare it there. That has actual starts and a countdown.

Seanspeed

Banned
Big Takeover said:
I might have to bite the bullet on using the clutch with a controller (or Speed Wheel in my case).

I've previously dismissed it as a ridiculous length some 14yr old leaderboard jockey would go to grab a few more places. I don't know. We'll see. I care more about being on a level playing field with my GAF rivals, than being higher up on the overall leaderboard. Most of them aren't using it, so I might just stay put.

I'll see how close I can get to p3tran@Amalfi tonight. If I can't beat him, I might have to join him :)
I'm taking the plunge. Thats my agenda for FM4 today, actually. I felt the same as you for a while, but I also do a lot of online racing, so the competitive edge will be welcome.

SarBear

G Rom said:
That was a painted Reventon you saw.
Don't worry though, we know they've been working on the Aventor so it's 99%sure tthat it will end up in one of the DLCs. If DLC is anything like FM3, it could even be in the first one since it's one of the hottest supercar at the moment and FM3's first DLC was basically a compilation of that (GT-R, 458, etc...). They probably did that to get maximum sales since after the first one or two months, it will be mostly hardcores buying DLCs.

IIRC, BADNED said the first DLC packed some great stuff.

If there's no proper 2003/4 Mustang Cobra hell will be paid, my man.

tirant

Sethos said:
Slowly becoming frustrated with the game.

I just don't feel like I'm racing. Every single race is 3-4 laps at best and in this game, that isn't nearly enough to win a clean race unless you got lucky with having the occasional crappy AI or they don't suddenly slingshot past everyone. I've tried driving clean but it never, ever works no matter how perfect your lap is. What you do is play bumper cars; push the opponents out of the way and get first asap and then you don't have to worry as AI cars barely ever pass.

Races are way too short to actually race, it's pissing me off. Not asking for hour long endurance races but I'd much rather have races where you get ready, tune the car, tweak it, qualify and get on a 20+ Lap race and get 5-6x the winnings. I play 2-3 races now and I get bored with the game because it's such a disheartening feeling to just start a new generic race every 5th minute.

People probably don't agree but I'm not getting that race feeling, just feels like a big toybox with some racing mini-games.

Still didnt get my game, but that happened to me as well in Forza 3. And I am scared it will happen again to me in Forza 4.

We, race enthusiasts, usually love all the ceremony involved in a race:

1.- Track practicing. Getting to know how the track feels, turns, etc...

2.- Fine Tuning the Car for the race

3.- Qualifying session.

4.- Final Race. You don't really long races, with the correct starting position you can avoid having to fight with lower position cars and still have a clean race with winning possibilities.

I really, really miss all of this in Forza games. It was even on games like Gran Turismo and TOCA on the original Playstation.

And races still even feel more generic after a while because of the low number of tracks available in the game, especially when I have played most of them thousands of times before.

AlphaSnake

Shortt Sirket said:
That is because you are doing it in Free Drive. Go do a drag event in Single Race and compare it there. That has actual starts and a countdown.

Ah! Thank you, sir. I will try that out. There are a ton of menus in the game, you get lost in them sometimes. :)

Slayer-33 said:
LOL... I was on wireless >_> anyway that car had too much power to handle sometimes with a controller.

I was a lap down but whoever pushed me across thought I was done lol..

Well, he wasn't a lap down, so as soon as the Hummer crossed the line the AI took control.

Aptos

tirant said:
Still didnt get my game, but that happened to me as well in Forza 3. And I am scared it will happen again to me in Forza 4.

We, race enthusiasts, usually love all the ceremony involved in a race:

1.- Track practicing. Getting to know how the track feels, turns, etc...

2.- Fine Tuning the Car for the race

3.- Qualifying session.

4.- Final Race. You don't really long races, with the correct starting position you can avoid having to fight with lower position cars and still have a clean race with winning possibilities.

I really, really miss all of this in Forza games. It was even on games like Gran Turismo and TOCA on the original Playstation.

And races still even feel more generic after a while because of the low number of tracks available in the game, especially when I have played most of them thousands of times before.

That's an interesting sentiment because I feel pretty opposite. Although, disclaimer: this is my first forza game since forza 1.

For each World Tour season, I've been buying a car I really like, upgrading it to an appropriate class, and spending a few hours tuning it until I like the way it drives. Then I end up doing the races. But occasionally, I have difficulties depending on how I tuned my car, so I go back to tune the car specifically for that race. It takes a lot of time, but it's really fun.

Also, for me, this game feels like it has so many tracks. I've only memorized Laguna Seca (because I live right next to it so I've been there a few times), Mugello Club & Full, Bernese Alps Club, and Road Atlanta Full. And I've probably put 20 hours or more into the game.

EDIT: I will admit no qualifying is annoying because starting behind the crash happy agressive AI is super lame.

AlphaSnake said:

Try the Silva Club K's... Even on stock diff with minorly untuned suspension and 800+ hp it drives like a dream, I shit you not.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
CrudeDiatribe said:
Well, he wasn't a lap down, so as soon as the Hummer crossed the line the AI took control.

Oh don't rub it in you bastard :(

:)

Diseased Yak said:
Is this true?! Major disappointment if so...

Bububub people don't like endur...

LOL I don't miss them tbh. I make enough money off rivals to care ^_^

Slayer-33 said:
Oh don't rub it in you bastard :(

:)

Bububub people don't like endur...

LOL I don't miss them tbh. I make enough money off rivals to care ^_^

I love rivals too but can it really be hard to make a few endurance races? I mean all they have to do is change the value for laps right?

come on

why limit it?

DasRaven

Diseased Yak said:
Is this true?! Major disappointment if so...

Career mode doesn't have endurance racing.
You can still make up to 50 lap endurance races in mulitplayer (with up to 11 AIs or 15 humans).

I personally, won't miss the endurance races, as last game they were not really anything more than a physical stamina challenge. But I would love to see qualifying laps.

Maybe for those who miss them, they can add IRONBUTT challenges as a community event.
25-50 laps or a medium to long track, pause disabled. We did those in FM3 and they were tough. 50 laps of the 'Ring was just evil.

cajunator

Banned
This game just inspired me to wash my car again. So shiny.
This game isn't really a huge leap graphically, but it is pretty close to GT5 at this point.
The circuits are a little better this time around.

Seanspeed said:
I'm taking the plunge. Thats my agenda for FM4 today, actually. I felt the same as you for a while, but I also do a lot of online racing, so the competitive edge will be welcome.
I was looking for a green light. I found one!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What's the deal with the traps on the tracks? Some of them are just so stupid. How on earth does my car get stuck in molasses on a runoff? On one of the Indy layouts, there is a section where if your tires just slightly roll over the gradient, you slow down ridiculously. WTF? lol

Heshinsi said:
What's the deal with the traps on the tracks? Some of them are just so stupid. How on earth does my car get stuck in molasses on a runoff? On one of the Indy layouts, there is a section where if your tires just slightly roll over the gradient, you slow down ridiculously. WTF? lol
Anti cheat mechanisms, in there by design to act as a time penalty for course cutting.

I'm just gald they didn't do it to the Top gear tracks last two corners. It just wouldn't be Top Gear otherwise :)

derFeef

My god. Played this game for two hours straight with a friend online as we both got the game today. We tried out different tracks and cars and did some races. We would not have stopped if it weren't midnight and we both need to get up early I think. Last race was LeMans with some muscle cars for fun. So. LOUD.

edit: Also I apparently own at least two unicorn cars as I got the tag/icon for it. Is this from the limited edition DLC? I did not check my garage as I was just having fun so far.

Wait a sec, there aren't any races in the event list that are like 5-10 laps? Wow. As if I couldn't have any more of a love/hate relationship with this game.

Shaneus

I'm having a break from this today, I think. When you wake up after ~7 hours sleep and still have aching hands, you have a problem.

Shame, because I was SO close to topping another leaderboard or two last night...

cajunator

Banned
Something I've been wondering about regarding custom colors.
Remember back in NFS high Stakes?
That game allowed for you to pick literally any color you wanted from thousands of choices. It was just a huge color grid that you put the cursor over and pick any shade or hue you want. Why don't games do this now? Is it really hard to do? Do they have to license real colors or some lame shit? What if I want a hot pink Gumpert? What if I want a puke green Pagani?

eemijun

Neo Member
Just noticed something, the side mirrors in the chase view are reversed, so something happening on the right side is shown in the left mirror and vice versa. Is it just my game or is everyone's like this?

cajunator

Banned
U n i o n 0015 said:
You can mix custom colors in Forza. Just go into the Paint shop and I think it's X which lets you go into advance color tune.
Shit. I didn't realize that.
Cool beans then.
There is a certain shade of dark blue that is fucking hot on just about any car.

Scotch

Just took the Veyron to Le Mans Old Mulsanne to fuck around a bit, and goddamn does the game get scary at 390 km/h (244mph). :lol

After crashing into the walls though it occurred to me how disappointing the damage modeling is in this game. It's actually a step backwards from FM3.

mblitek

Sethos said:
Slowly becoming frustrated with the game.

I just don't feel like I'm racing. Every single race is 3-4 laps at best and in this game, that isn't nearly enough to win a clean race unless you got lucky with having the occasional crappy AI or they don't suddenly slingshot past everyone. I've tried driving clean but it never, ever works no matter how perfect your lap is. What you do is play bumper cars; push the opponents out of the way and get first asap and then you don't have to worry as AI cars barely ever pass.

Races are way too short to actually race, it's pissing me off. Not asking for hour long endurance races but I'd much rather have races where you get ready, tune the car, tweak it, qualify and get on a 20+ Lap race and get 5-6x the winnings. I play 2-3 races now and I get bored with the game because it's such a disheartening feeling to just start a new generic race every 5th minute.

People probably don't agree but I'm not getting that race feeling, just feels like a big toybox with some racing mini-games.

It's funny you say that *last night I was thinking the same thing when I was playing GT5. I had just finished playing the 200 lap race on I forget on what oval track and actually hadaa lot of fun having to deal with different pit strategies. As in mixing it up with different compound tires and fuel levels. But, I never really got that sense of true wheel to wheel racing for an extended amount of time. Hopefully AI can eventually get to such a level. Or, somehow integrate online play into career mode...

JetBlackPanda said:
I really wish we could get night races and weather effects.
My dreams:

* One or more long rally tracks. Thinking Fujimi Kaido, only with dirt, snow, or puddles, mixed with tarmac. Tie it in with Top Gear and give us that one snowy road in Norway, and have us race against a bobsled team ;P

* One or more long free roam tracks. Tie it in with Top Gear and give us something like long quiet English country roads, Dubai highways and even segments of the best road... in the world, the Transfagalarafargalarg.

I may have misspelled it.

Top Bottom