• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

sneaky77

DoctorWho said:
I really need to start doing more of these rivalry challenges. I beat one Gaffer yesterday and I was pleased with myself until I discovered that I was still in like 15th place. :(

Edit: Where the hell do I go to disable ABS? I've been looking for the option everywhere.

difficulty is one of the first options

BoobPhysics101 said:
TBH I'm not sure how Forza handles those dual clutch/sequential setups, I'll have to check it out. You can push in the clutch on those though... perhaps they add in an artificial delay?

I haven't tried in FM4 yet, but in FM3, you had to use the clutch to upshift, even on race cars that in real life have sequential gearboxes that require no throttle-lift and no clutch on the part of the operator to shift.

Same for paddle-shift gearboxes. Same thing that lets you turn on ABS/TCS/STM on old cars that wouldn't have them.

guest1321 said:
What mapping do you have set up for the shifting/clutch? x down, a clutch, b up?

That works best for me.

BoobPhysics101 said:
This means when I'm 'heel-toeing', I use my pointer finger for clutch, my middle finger for brake and my right thumb to shift down all at the same time. With the setup you suggested, shifting up and down would be a real pain in the ass.

Rolling my thumb from A to B and A to X is really, really easy. Throwing in a throttle squeeze when downshifting is just a matter of timing. Using LB was really, really hard.

Is it better to have traction control on for circuit racing? The only thing I am any good at is drifting (real lif hobby and in game lol), but I'm horribly slow when racing in circuit mode online. Ah, frustrations ha

The_Monk

After playing for some time I'm getting a little better on my driving skills but I still need a lot of practice.

Right this is how I play:

BtVITl.jpg

Should I change something to get a little more money?

I'm still pretty bad driving any muscle cars and Mercedes-Benz. Taking off Rewind is not an option.

I'm level 39 btw.

Thank you all in advance :)

Turn all that shit off man.

If you are playing on a pad leave the clutch off for starters but you should be playing with manual shifting.

I like the clutch though, even when I don't need it. Keeps me busy.

Stephen_drewz said:
Is it better to have traction control on for circuit racing?

Turn it off and be gentle. Rivals mode is probably the best place to practice and you won't get rammed for going too slow, you can rewind, and you can still measure your progress (and earn credits).

SarBear

I've really got to use standard transmission sooner or later. I know I could be cutting my times down by a couple seconds on each course if i do....so not looking forward to the downtime, however.

Arucardo

Awesome, still no F4 :| . At least I got a bunch of other stuff in the mail (complete move set, sharp shooter, killzone 3 and a new HDD for the 360). Maybe tomorrow is the day...

drugstore_cowboy said:

If you are playing on a pad leave the clutch off for starters but you should be playing with manual shifting.

You will play better once you turn them off, but you don't have to switch them all off now. Just slowly start removing them one by one and learning how the car controls.

I would go:
Steering: Simulation then
Stability Control off then
Traction Control off then
Shifting Manual then
ABS off and then finally
Manual with Clutch (which I still don't use yet)

But honestly, just play how you want. You will get a more "real" feeling with them off but the game is supposed to be fun. If you find it frustrating, just go back to what makes you enjoy the game. The game will be more enjoyable in the long run with less assists, but don't let anyone tell you how to play the game. Do it however you enjoy best.

The_Monk

drugstore_cowboy said:

Yes, I forgot to say, I'm playing with a regular 360 controller.

I'll try manual shifting, but as I told, Im a bit amateur and I prefer to go step step, learning the stuff instead going harder on the beginning.

Raudi

drugstore_cowboy said:

If you want to be competitive online or Rivals challenges you will need to master using Manual / Clutch and no assists (especially in the lower class cars)

I got a chance to try out online races this weekend in my favorite Cycled Production Hopper - T10 did a fantastic job with the initial match ups as there are some killer car / track combo's that are just perfect!

I was expecting a lag fest in 16 car online lobbies but I couldn't have been more wrong! Other than the occasional lag spikes at the first corner pile ups, it was very smooth sailing and excellent collision detection for razor close bumper to bumper racing action!

Well done T10!

Scotch

The_Monk said:
Yes, I forgot to say, I'm playing with a regular 360 controller.

I'll try manual shifting, but as I told, Im a bit amateur and I prefer to go step step, learning the stuff instead going harder on the beginning.
I wouldn't try manual shifting right now.

Turn on simulation steering and turn off stability control first, I'll bet after two laps you won't notice the difference anymore.

The_Monk

Shortt Sirket said:
You will play better once you turn them off, but you don't have to switch them all off now. Just slowly start removing them one by one and learning how the car controls.

I would go:
Steering: Simulation then
Stability Control off then
Traction Control off then
Shifting Manual then
ABS off and then finally
Manual with Clutch (which I still don't use yet)

But honestly, just play how you want. You will get a more "real" feeling with them off but the game is supposed to be fun. If you find it frustrating, just go back to what makes you enjoy the game. The game will be more enjoyable in the long run with less assists, but don't let anyone tell you how to play the game. Do it however you enjoy best.

Thank you. Yes I prefer to go step by step until I get better. I love this game, I'm terrible at Rivals, and I love the community. The game is much more easy for me thanks to the Rewind option, because I can honestly learn with my mistakes without having to restart the entire race.

> BTW since the first smoke on GAF club I've been waiting to get better or wait for the Day 1 hype to go away, how's the slots for the club? Any place for me? Do I need to be good or my love for racing is enough? ;) If PM is requested let me know. Thanks again.

EDIT: Thank you Raudi and Scotch for the tips too.

Just thought I'd post a little trick I figured out with regards to the "World Tour" mode and races disappearing when you select a car.

For example, you might see an "A Class" race in your list of three races, but if you swap out to the A Class car you want to use the race is replaced with a different race.

If, before you swap out cars, you select that A Class race with a car you don't want to use (if its a car below that rank, ignore the message saying your car isn't competitive), then after that you can select a new car from the actual event screen.

The_Monk said:
Thank you. Yes I prefer to go step by step until I get better. I love this game, I'm terrible at Rivals, and I love the community. The game is much more easy for me thanks to the Rewind option, because I can honestly learn with my mistakes without having to restart the entire race.

> BTW since the first smoke on GAF club I've been waiting to get better or wait for the Day 1 hype to go away, how's the slots for the club? Any place for me? Do I need to be good or my love for racing is enough? ;) If PM is requested let me know. Thanks again.

yeah, shoot me a PM. We are right up against the limit, but it will be cleaned out some on Tues night.

anyone using the Speed wheel...have you gone into advanced settings and tweaked dead zones and such? i really don't know the technical details of what goes on, but anyone find a best setup?

I might have to bite the bullet on using the clutch with a controller (or Speed Wheel in my case).

I've previously dismissed it as a ridiculous length some 14yr old leaderboard jockey would go to grab a few more places. I don't know. We'll see. I care more about being on a level playing field with my GAF rivals, than being higher up on the overall leaderboard. Most of them aren't using it, so I might just stay put.

I'll see how close I can get to p3tran@Amalfi tonight. If I can't beat him, I might have to join him :)

sneaky77 said:
difficulty is one of the first options

I couldn't even find difficulty yesterday. I remember them asking me this shit when I first started. I just skimmed through it because I wanted to race.

I'll check when I go home.

I'm not sure how I kept missing it. :/

AlanzTalon said:
anyone using the Speed wheel...have you gone into advanced settings and tweaked dead zones and such? i really don't know the technical details of what goes on, but anyone find a best setup?
I've just left it as is. I think there's a steering deadzone of 1, which seemed sensible. Maybe fiddling with the brakes might be worth looking at, but I'm happy with how it all works to be honest.

eek5

DoctorWho said:
I couldn't even find difficulty yesterday. I remember them asking me this shit when I first started. I just skimmed through it because I wanted to race.

I'll check when I go home.

I'm not sure how I kept missing it. :/
It's an option on the same menu listing as "Start race" so it's easy to miss when you're jamming on the a button.

eek5 said:
It's an option on the same menu listing as "Start race" so it's easy to miss when you're jamming on the a button.

Hmm. I just assumed that it would be under "My Profile" as something else I can adjust along with Controls/HUD etc... Strange they didn't put the option there as well.

SarBear said:
Is there a specific time where GAF does some races?

If you're in the Club and feel like racing, just pop on, hit 'race online' and then 'invite club members', then 'send'. Wait while XBL sends an invite to everyone in the club that's online (or errors out before finishing if there are enough people on). I did that most nights last week and it was a blast.

DoctorWho said:
Hmm. I just assumed that it would be under "My Profile" as something else I can adjust along with Controls/HUD etc... Strange they didn't put the option there as well.

It's in a few other places as well; can't remember off the top of my head.

DasRaven

The_Monk said:

LTTP, but is there a reason you're playing with Limited damage AND rewind?
If you stuff it into a wall/car, you rewind, so what point is there of limiting the consequences of impacts? There's free money there for you.

I'm big on "play your game" and T10 has made it possible to do that. So take your time and enjoy it, it is still a game after all.

caramac

Just a heads up for you guys, if you haven't already done so buy yourself the Lotus Evora Type 124 and buy the tune by [PLOP]VoodooUomo, its only priced at 1,000cr. Its maxed out for S class and goes round corners like its on rails and it sounds godly.

hwalker84

DoctorWho said:
I think its there too.

The_Monk

DasRaven said:
LTTP, but is there a reason you're playing with Limited damage AND rewind?
If you stuff it into a wall/car, you rewind, so what point is there of limiting the consequences of impacts? There's free money there for you.

I'm big on "play your game" and T10 has made it possible to do that. So take your time and enjoy it, it is still a game after all.

You are 100% right, that's why I asked for advices. Thanks for yours I'm going to change that ASAP.

:)

SarBear said:
I've really got to use standard transmission sooner or later. I know I could be cutting my times down by a couple seconds on each course if i do....so not looking forward to the downtime, however.

Join the club. I will have to use Paddle Shifters until the CSS comes out but man, not looking forward to relearning my driving to be honest. Might just play through career for a few months, try and beat some rivals and slowly transition on long straightaway tracks to manual.

I just kind of switched to wheel racing last Xmas so now that I have that down, I guess going full on manual is the next logical step.

EDIT: Since the CSS is probably not launching anytime soon, hows the new shifters? The stability and such? That 2 pole thing with my old Porsche Shifter set just wasn't cutting it for me.

nagge said:
Duh ;)

I'll just rewind if I have a accident in the last sector so that my next lap isn't "dirtied" from the get go.

I was wondering. LOL. That makes more sense. I sort of realized you would know after I replied but was too lazy to edit.

D6AMIA6N

I am not great, but have been playing Forza since XBox without any assists. I'd like to join the GAF Club so I can get some friends to play rivals against, and to see how slow I really am. GT: D6AMIA6N

T Ghost

I've got a question about affinity rewards and I would appreciate if anyone could answer or point me to where can I find the answer.

I would like to find out what the rewards - discounts and credits - are for each manufacturer affinity level that you gain. Is there a list?

eso76

so i was wondering...

a) are they ever going to complete the cars and track list pages on fm.net ?

b) since someone took the time to write a short background history for EACH car on fm.net...why the hell hasn't that been included in the game somehow ??? (or did i just miss it ?)

T Ghost said:
I've got a question about affinity rewards and I would appreciate if anyone could answer or point me to where can I find the answer.

I would like to find out what the rewards - discounts and credits - are for each manufacturer affinity level that you gain. Is there a list?

I wish to know this as well.

Top Bottom