• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

I wouldn't imagine that a track like Fujimi Kaido would be hard to do as a night track. It's not like you have to deal with extended draw distances or anything. In comparison to the other tracks in FM4, at least.

Izayoi

Banned
I only ever did one endurance race in F3. Never again. At least, not without the ability to save during the race.

Odd that they "excluded" them, but as someone said you could make your own in a private lobby.

watership

Scotch said:
Just took the Veyron to Le Mans Old Mulsanne to fuck around a bit, and goddamn does the game get scary at 390 km/h (244mph). :lol

After crashing into the walls though it occurred to me how disappointing the damage modeling is in this game. It's actually a step backwards from FM3.

About the damage modeling, I completely disagree. There is more specific damage, a larger range of damage types and more parts fly off the cars.

Just try one game of Top Gear Soccer to test it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJ_ygt4ow8

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
reggie said:
Am I shit, or is it normal to start getting beat by the AI in the third/fourth season? I noticed no ramp up in difficulty, I went from destroying the AI to being destroyed.

Anyway 2:02:775 now with the Mosler @ Nurb GP fast pass rivals shit... Top time is 1:55 with the same car... lol ridiculous.

skyfinch

No way to turn off ghosts in rivals? Good luck during the cone/barrel challenges.

reggie said:
Am I shit, or is it normal to start getting beat by the AI in the third/fourth season? I noticed no ramp up in difficulty, I went from destroying the AI to being destroyed.

I think it depends on which events you end up picking. Anything in the World-Class races are very challenging, since they are in the last column in the event listing.

There were races in the 10th season that I was able to grab a lead within the first turn and build a massive lead (same as FM3).

skyfinch said:
No way to turn off ghosts in rivals? Good luck during the cone/barrel challenges.
They should be ghostlier.

And they should scatter when you drive through them like waving your hand through a smoke ring.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FYI, short cut for rivals - at the very start, throw the car in reverse and do a 180. cruise a ways down the track then flip it around again facing forward. get your speed up, cross the starting line and begin your first lap with all the speed of the following laps. very handy to save time on longer tracks, just make sure not to get a penalty when doing this as it will carry over across the starting line.

Seanspeed

Banned
flashburn2012 said:
Wait a sec, there aren't any races in the event list that are like 5-10 laps? Wow. As if I couldn't have any more of a love/hate relationship with this game.
Yea, there is. Go to the championship events and the faster classes and you'll see plenty of 7-10 lap races on full tracks.

Honestly, I'm probably not gonna play World Tour anymore. I just dont feel its necessary when I can progress in terms of credits, XP and affinity by doing other things. And when I do feel like doing a single-player event, I can just go the Event List and find exactly what I'm looking for or I'll create my own race with the multiplayer editor.

Anyways, I'm still getting used to using the clutch, but its really not that hard. I'm finding upshifts more difficult than downshifts, but its becoming more and more normal feeling. I think it'll feel quite natural in a few days time. While I'm not perfect at it, I can already beat my previous times simply with the advantage in acceleration.

Also, this game makes me smile so much sometimes. I tried out a V8 Supercar for the first time and it was on a 'Trackday' event at Sebring. Holy hell, the car is a riot and a beast to control. Might not be something I drive regularly online or anything, but its definitely one of the most fun cars I've driven so far. Shit's raw. :)

skyfinch

NullPointer said:
They should be ghostlier.

And they should scatter when you drive through them like waving your hand through a smoke ring.

Messed me up big time during the cone challenges. I fact, I'm done with those challenges. Too frustrating. Can't see the cones when the rival's ghost is completely blocking your view.

Never played a forza game but today I tried the demo and Jesus it is amazing. Still debating if I should buy forza 4 or wait for the new need for speed....

Seanspeed said:
Honestly, I'm probably not gonna play World Tour anymore. I just dont feel its necessary when I can progress in terms of credits, XP and affinity by doing other things. And when I do feel like doing a single-player event, I can just go the Event List and find exactly what I'm looking for or I'll create my own race with the multiplayer editor.
I am very glad this is the case. Other games put a real stranglehold on progression outside of the main career mode. But Forza 4 is packing so damn much that whenever I get frustrated with one mode, I just give another one a try.

Izayoi

Banned
Gordon0Freeman said:
Never played a forza game but today I tried the demo and Jesus it is amazing. Still debating if I should buy forza 4 or wait for the new need for speed....
If you thought Forza 4 was amazing, why wait for a product that may or may not be good?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
op_ivy said:
FYI, short cut for rivals - at the very start, throw the car in reverse and do a 180. cruise a ways down the track then flip it around again facing forward. get your speed up, cross the starting line and begin your first lap with all the speed of the following laps. very handy to save time on longer tracks, just make sure not to get a penalty when doing this as it will carry over across the starting line.

Wat

Doesn't the timer start right away? lol

Gordon0Freeman said:

This game is super fun, packed with content, the community will stay large, players will keep making content etc, totally worth a purchase.

Izayoi

Banned
The frustration comments are kind of lost on me. Does it get really frustrating really fast later on or something? I'm on like season 9 or something and I've yet to experience any frustration.

Need some help.

I cannot seem to get manual w/ clutch shifting right. The transmission grinds every time I try it. Playing with the controller and have the clutch button mapped to A.

So I accelerate, hold the clutch button and then press shift up, and the tach just bounced off the limiter and finally shifts. It's not smooth at all. I have driven real manual transmissions and motorcycle for over a decade so I know how to shift a dang vehicle!

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Slayer-33 said:
Wat

Doesn't the timer start right away? lol

the race clock does, but not your lap time :)

also, i'm not even sure penalties carry over when you do this. just did one and when i did one of my u-turns i lost it and went into the grass and didnt have the ! at the start of the lap.

Seanspeed said:
Yea, there is. Go to the championship events and the faster classes and you'll see plenty of 7-10 lap races on full tracks.

Well there definitely isn't many, I'm on like my sixth year and I've only done races that are like 2-4 laps.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
U n i o n 0015 said:
Need some help.

I cannot seem to get manual w/ clutch shifting right. The transmission grinds every time I try it. Playing with the controller and have the clutch button mapped to A.

So I accelerate, hold the clutch button and then press shift up, and the tach just bounced off the limiter and finally shifts. It's not smooth at all. I have driven real manual transmissions and motorcycle for over a decade so I know how to shift a dang vehicle!

I have
no idea bro
lol..

I tried it once and it, didn't feel good man.jpg

op_ivy said:
the race clock does, but not your lap time :)

also, i'm not even sure penalties carry over when you do this. just did one and when i did one of my u-turns i lost it and went into the grass and didnt have the ! at the start of the lap.

Wow and here I was taking a full fucking warmup lap just to get a rolling go at the 2nd lap fuck lol..

Izayoi said:
The frustration comments are kind of lost on me. Does it get really frustrating really fast later on or something? I'm on like season 9 or something and I've yet to experience any frustration.
My only frustration is with the AI and some of the clusterfucks that can ensue. Sometimes I have to rewind several times just to find a way out, or else give in any let the bastard trying to slam into me take the position just to avoid a collision. It wears on me after a while.

But then again I'm still trying techniques to mitigate it, and maybe its possible. I like a very clean race if at all possible, with maybe a nigh unavoidable slight bump or two.

caramac

op_ivy said:

Ha ha, l remember that one from that hot lap comp last year.
Positano, now that's a long track, and wow, trying to get a clean lap at pace.

Lima

U n i o n 0015 said:
Need some help.

Press both buttons at the same time.

Right when you feel like you have hit the right rpm press both A and B with your thumb.

<---- is going and systematically taking down all GAF members on Tsukuba Short D-Class Rookie Rivals challenge.

Eek5, Escorcicci and Shortt Sirket are next.

sneaky77

Gordon0Freeman said:

Those 2 games don't really come under the same category.. so is ok to like both

lil smoke

Banned
U n i o n 0015 said:
Need some help.

And some cars just have crap transmission. I don't know if you have race parts, but they help. You can also try to release the throttle just a tiny bit while shifting and that will smoothen the transition.

U n i o n 0015 said:
Need some help.

Its going to feel weird but leave the clutch on the shoulder button. You have to have it pressed when changing gears. I put my index finger on the shoulder button and middle on the brake when I use a controller.

Reclaimed the top Rivals spot on the Road America C6.R challenge, and my first Seanspeed bounty.

Feels good man.

More of you guys need to give this challenge a shot-- if, that is, you're man enough to tame the unbridled fury of the 'Vette. That shit will put enough hair on your chest to make Dan's beard weep.

Seanspeed, it looked like you were really fighting the car going up the hill under the Corvette bridge and into the carousel. Don't think I'd have been able to beat you otherwise. :)

Mr.Green

skyfinch said:
Messed me up big time during the cone challenges. I fact, I'm done with those challenges. Too frustrating. Can't see the cones when the rival's ghost is completely blocking your view.

Protip: The trick is to have them behind you.

I hate these fucking ghosts with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Hawk269

JetBlackPanda said:
I really wish we could get night races and weather effects.

Agree, but I think more importantly is we need more tracks. The track selection is great as it is, only if you never played a Forza game, but being a fan of all the previous versions, the only real downfall of Forza 4 is the lack of new tracks and more of them. While we did get Indy, Alps, Infinion (awesome), and that other one, that is pretty much it. We lost the test tracks, yeah I thought they were a little sucky, but at least it was another tract....we lost new york which was the only city track, we lost many ribbons on the amalfi coast scenery.

For me, being that I played alot of F2 and F3, the lack of more tracks is very disapointing. I loved everything they did with the game, I love the improved look of the old tracks, love the alternate lighting on some of the tracks, but at the end of the day, I have been playing some of these same tracks for 4 versions of the game.

Turn10 has proven they can make amazing fantasy tracks, Forza 3 and Forza 4 were introduced to the world with fantasy tracks, why not more of them? Why not Blue Mountains, Alpine Ring, Rio etc. They have the track data, why not just do it. There is so much to love, but at the end of the day the tracks have become been there done that. If they added 4-5 additional tracks, they could of spread out the career (world tour) mode with more tracks so it does not feel like such a grind playnig some the tracks that you played to death over 2-3 versions of the previous games.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to lose any of hte tracks, even the beaten to death ones, all I am saying is it time to add more variety to the courses. Yes, night racing, rally, weather would be nice, but I understand some the technical issues they face, but more tracks is just a matter of time. Disk 2 is only 2.5 gb or so, so it is not an issue of having disk space for it. I would glady trade 2 Car packs for 2-3 new courses.

In the painter, is there a way to fine tune the position by an increment of less than 0.5? These two decals refuse to line up on the left side and the front side by fractions of this amount and a finer adjustment would be awesome.

Hawk269 said:
Agree, but I think more importantly is we need more tracks.
Aye, but I have to admit I've grown to love the Bernese Alps and Infineon. Hockenheimring not so much, at least so far. And holy shit when I took my first lap at Camino Viejo de Montserrat. Had no idea they changed it so much and thought I was going to fly off a cliff in my 458! ;p

The lighting changes have also helped my enjoyment of the old tracks although I do wish we had some more city tracks. I like the visuals of racing through a city.

iamcenok

Absolutely adore this game. Just like in Forza 2, and 3 I find myself shooting more than I race. But still.. love it.

Haven't messed with liveries much, I've been fine tuning the MR2 AW11 how I want it to look in real life.

Sans rims.
6252987338_062c58fe45_b.jpg

I want THESE rims.
6253006042_4c8afc8252_b.jpg

Other:

6250885875_0df558215d_b.jpg

Racing my Co-worker in his Lexus... seconds before I overtook him in the SW20.
6255344814_8c07c2a861_b.jpg

Close-up of my SW20
6255265387_5680d61cf9_b.jpg

EDIT:

I agree with the weather and time sentiments.

NullPointer said:
I do wish we had some more city tracks. I like the visuals of racing through a city.

THIS.
Especially if at night. But I guess that's just for GT5 for the time being. :p

I'd gladly spend a nice chunk of change on some track DLC if it had night racing.

jcutner

NullPointer said:
Aye, but I have to admit I've grown to love the Bernese Alps and Infineon. Hockenheimring not so much, at least so far. And holy shit when I took my first lap at Camino Viejo de Montserrat. Had no idea they changed it so much and thought I was going to fly off a cliff in my 458! ;p

The lighting changes have also helped my enjoyment of the old tracks although I do wish we had some more city tracks. I like the visuals of racing through a city.

agreed, I got to Camino Viejo for the first time last night and I was amazed.
looks phenomenal over fm3

turn10 did fuck all about corner cutters online, I am seeing people skip like 1/3rd of the top gear track because /!\ means nothing in an online race, suzuka, road atlanta, a bunch of others will allow the car to just power over a corner.

Stick up some fucking tire walls :/ sticky grass only goes so far and is annoying to legit racers like myself.

skyfinch

jcutner said:
agreed, I got to Camino Viejo for the first time last night and I was amazed.
looks phenomenal over fm3

Surprisingly they got rid of the Extreme Reverse of that track, which I liked better than the regular layout.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Shortt Sirket said:
That is because you are doing it in Free Drive. Go do a drag event in Single Race and compare it there. That has actual starts and a countdown.

Just tried this, the times are still all sorts of wrong. An M6 ran by me and the A.I. did 13.4? That's what a stock 350Z can do. The times are almost always 1 second off from real world results. They need to correct this somehow - it's just weird.

Seanspeed said:
Anyways, I'm still getting used to using the clutch, but its really not that hard. I'm finding upshifts more difficult than downshifts, but its becoming more and more normal feeling. I think it'll feel quite natural in a few days time. While I'm not perfect at it, I can already beat my previous times simply with the advantage in acceleration.
I just tried the clutch with the Speed Wheel. Learning curve of about 1 minute. It's essentially trivial. I tried having the clutch mapped to both X, and the d-pad. I much prefer it on X. It's entirely comfortable. No cramped hands, no double button presses.

rou33.jpg

A few days ago I switched to changing gears with the buttons rather than the d-pad, so switching back is no big deal.

I should have done this day one. The extra speed does make me feel like I'm cheating a little though!

vixlar

U n i o n 0015 said:
Need some help.

What I do is: Press clutch, release gas, shift up, press gas at mid throttle, release clutch and from there push the gas to full throttle. All of this on one second or less... but I use a MS wheel (force feedback)

The problem I see is you mapped the clutch to A, and it seems a little difficult to press the gear buttons.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Big Takeover said:
I just tried the clutch with the Speed Wheel. Learning curve of about 1 minute. It's essentially trivial. I tried having the clutch mapped to both X, and the d-pad. I much prefer it on X. It's entirely comfortable. No cramped hands, no double button presses.

A few days ago I switched to changing gears with the buttons rather than the d-pad, so switching back is no big deal.

I should have done this day one. The extra speed does make me feel like I'm cheating a little though!

Too many peeople in favor! Argh that's it time to get one.

Hawk269

NullPointer said:

What do you mean by "I do wish we had some more city tracks"??? There are NO city tracks in the game at all. Not being a smart ass, but that is the issue is that there are NO city tracks.

Top Bottom