• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

shandy706

This was the first set I posted this morning, they were at the bottom of the page when I started, so I'm moving them up in case people missed out.

Comparison of the exact same location under different lighting conditions.

nebzsq.gif

inrmmg.gif

You must be one of those time travelers. Awesome. When does next gen start?

Nice attempt at a derail.

Loved those 1080p racers on the x360 that looked this good.

What last gen console did you have? I want to pick up one cheap.

I just don't think it has the look of a current-gen racer, that's all. But I understand that they had to compromise for it to be open-world.

No need to be so defensive. Graphics are not everything. The game looks fun, which is all it really needs to be.

shandy706

No need to be so defensive. Graphics are not everything. The game looks fun, which is all it really needs to be.

Do you think Ryse, Killzone, and Infamous look last gen?

Might want to get your eyes checked...or maybe you have gifs/video links turned off in your browser?

If you see the bait for what it is, why would you still bite?

True, not a single explanation on those thoughts either.

Seriously though....it's not even like there is a debate there.

Too far is not how I would put it, as it would be a positive change, in my opinion, but I can see how it could put some people off. I remain unconvinced that there have been any big changes to the balance compared to the first Horizon (which I've been playing extensively over the past several weeks), however. My girlfriend, who is as casual a player as can be, but also a huge Horizon fan, had some difficulty with the Huracán and the RS3 at first, but that's probably because I tried turning off more assists for her initially. Having turned more assists on, she managed to win all the races, whilst having plenty of fun.

Maybe I need to fiddle with the options, but it really doesn't feel as arcade-y as Horizon 1 did. It certainly doesn't come close to PGR4 as well.

I think I'll boot up Horizon 1 over the weekend and check out my default settings and see if I can replicate those in Horizon 2, but as it stands right now, I'm a little disappointed in how much more closer to sim handling/feel it is than to arcade.

abadguy

Banned
I just don't think it has the look of a current-gen racer, that's all. But I understand that they had to compromise for it to be open-world.

Fair enough. So now you can produce some pics of last gen racers comparable to this game graphically.

Can we not talk about a game's visuals without being accused of baiting these days?

Good lord. I'll never mention it again. I'll just back away slowly.

It's like the 'corridor' racer comments in the other thread. If you don't spend some time to qualify your rather vague last-gen comment with examples or more detailed reasoning, it will be viewed as another drive-by post that doesn't warrant anyone's attention because you didn't bring anything new or significant to your observation/opinion. Nothing wrong with finding something to nitpick or complain about with the game or its visuals, but no one should care or take it seriously if there isn't much to reply to.

Tried the demo before leaving for work. Pretty fun. Not sure if I'm going to break my promise of not buying a racing game for a console that doesn't support my G27 wheel.

derFeef

Not true.

It certainly is true. I drove into an area with trees in a field and the car was lit the same as outside of that area. Not sure what time of day it was, but it looked pretty out of place. This is the only time I said "huh, this does not look right" during my palytime.

What other current gen racers out right now look better than it?

There is no problem saying you dont like the graphics - however it "looks like gen" is just a drive by troll comment with no explanation and you know it.

What other current gen racers out right now look better than it?

I would say that even Need For Speed Rivals (As bad as it was) had a more varied, detailed and living open-world.

I just think that it looks a bit stale (For lack of better description). Like most of the map will be empty fields filled with cut-and-past bushes that you can no-clip through.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks like the most fun racer since Horizon 1. But as far as asthetics go, I think it looks like a last-gen game (Horizon 1 or TDU) running at a higher resolution.

Just my opinion. I will still pick it up.

shandy706

It certainly is true. I drove into an area with trees in a field and the car was lit the same as outside of that area. Not sure what time of day it was, but it looked pretty out of place. This is the only time I said "huh, this does not look right" during my palytime.

ibbOsaIS4jeZUe.gif

ibsUxOTwnpS8gi.gif

iDZQazhhy3TUF.gif

I think you may have made the mistake I saw in earlier posts (made by some others). The rear of the car, especially if the sun is in front of or above you, often has a shadow casting already. Even in real life the rear of a car, in that situation, doesn't darken enough for one to notice as easily when there is a ton of ambient light in an environment. ;)

shandy706

I would say that even Need For Speed Rivals (As bad as it was) had a more varied, detailed and living open-world.

I just think that it looks a bit stale (For lack of better description). Like most of the map will be empty fields filled with cut-and-past bushes that you can no-clip through.

The game has thousands of NPC going about their Life/Business everywhere from eating at restraunts, to walking on the beaches, to dancing, to going in and out of buildings.

We've not seen 80%+ of the map.

All the grass, brush, bushes, small trees get destroyed/flattened out in real time by every car on the screen. You can see where other cars have been before you just by the foliage.

There is something up about the lighting and shadows - can't put my finger on exactly what - but it gave me a last gen port feeling. Things don't seem quite as planted in the world as I'd expect - but moving through off-road areas at speed looks phenomenal. Something about day-time, on the road without weather looks... strange.

Also funny to see suspend/resume working - I turned the console off (soft power off) after retrying the third event so I could run a few Destiny strikes with friends on the PS4. When I came back to the xbox, the dash just showed the "Horizon 2 Demo" splash instead of the in-game spot where I bounced out before. Maybe its touchy? I just wasn't in the mood to go through the unskippable cut-scenes and unskippable wait-while-I-explain-this tutorial bits again.

Prologue

That feeling when you beat several rivals and realize that the #1 in the world is a full 9 seconds faster than you for the track.

._.

Kssio_Aug

Do you really think that? =o
I think that Forza Horizon open world seems much bigger (we've seen a very small parcel of it on the demo.. By the map it is 4-6 times bigger), detailed and opened. And those little cities with NPCs walking, or those fireworks at night, alone already make the world more alive. Not saying the Drivatars.

Top Bottom