• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

jacobeid

Banned
I don't think the demo is representative of the full game.

In regards to what?

Edit: I should expand so I don't seem trolly or confrontational. Is it confirmed that the demo is running on an older build of the game? If not, I seriously doubt that the issues described by the poster (i.e., texture quality) will be different at launch.

So there's no way to save your progress if you exit the demo or to skip the intro? I can see the intro becoming pretty bloody annoying if there's no way to skip it...

I've left the demo multiple times and come back to exactly where I left off. Instant Resume for the win. :) Haven't played the game since yesterday night, but it's still right where I left it, parked on side of road.

koolin101

Neo Member
Just curious is no one else racing using the dashboard cam and/or even more specifically the "first person" no hood cam? The latter is actually what I prefer to use in racing games, and it have to say the game is really hard to play using that camera. Even the dash view is really hard to driving with, specifically when driving through the fields.
I just feel like I am playing a different game then everyone else.
The amount of hype made me think I would be playing the GOTY.
Instead, especially when using the two views I usually use, I thought I was playing a very good game with some pretty glaring camera issues.
I suppose if you play the game with 3rd person view, which is the default view, none of these issues would be apparent. So perhaps that is why there is not much discussion about those issues.

This is exactly my issue when trying it last night. Dash cam through fields on the first race sucked.

shandy706

Just curious is no one else racing using the dashboard cam and/or even more specifically the "first person" no hood cam? The latter is actually what I prefer to use in racing games, and it have to say the game is really hard to play using that camera. Even the dash view is really hard to driving with, specifically when driving through the fields.
Instead, especially when using the two views I usually use, I thought I was playing a very good game with some pretty glaring camera issues.
I suppose if you play the game with 3rd person view, which is the default view, none of these issues would be apparent. So perhaps that is why there is not much discussion about those issues.

I won the first offroad race with no brake/driveline, with the dasdboard cam, with the Audi. No problem. I went in making sure I looked ahead to see what was coming up. It's very important to adjust at high speed before you get to a turning point. Keep your eye on the markers and the landscape.

Aha, I got the clip now so oh well :p

Repeated smashing into wall for dramatic effect.

One of the few areas you can't enter. You wouldn't be able to get out if you somehow did, lol.

Chorazin

I hate to say it, but barely being able to see over the tall grass/wheat/grapevines while racing through fields in a extremely low to the ground sports car is sort of the point. I loved careening through the first patch of wheat, pedal to the metal, in the EVO and just pointing the front towards the smoke in the distance and hoping for the best!

Strangely, when car drive in shadowy area it does not change car lightning, it stays bright. Looks so out of place.

Definitely not true.

This is exactly my issue when trying it last night. Dash cam through fields on the first race sucked.

It takes getting use to and there's going to be times when you almost certainly prefer the outside camera views, because racing in cockpit while running through those fields with all that foliage was quite the challenge in the early going, but once you get better at spotting where the next checkpoint is and can keep your car firmly under control (as far as a safe speed and making sure to point it in the right direction) you'll be golden. Yesterday I even managed a really awesome come from behind victory against a rival. Racing through those tall fields while in cockpit view is all about patience and picking just the right time to really press down on the gas.

If you have instant on enabled and don't play another game you can switch off your Xbox and come back to play later...

I've left the demo multiple times and come back to exactly where I left off. Instant Resume for the win. :) Haven't played the game since yesterday night, but it's still right where I left it, parked on side of road.

Bah. I set mine to energy saving as I can go days without using it.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to get used to sitting through the intro every single time I decide to play the demo...

jem0208

Definitely not true.

Ehh, I've noticed this as well.

Most prominently at the bottom right of the map where you start the air race. There are some cliffs creating shadows and the other cars stay oddly bright.

Those type of walls are all around the mountains so you can't make it to the top. I think those are there on purpose to prevent you from going around it, but that one is placed on the fields.

Yeah, probably.

I just think a better solution would be if you were to land inside that zone you would fade to black then reappear on the road like when you flip the car.

That way we wouldn't have any floating invisible walls.

kazinova

How amazing is it that there's a demo for a game that's so good that having an unskippable intro is something we have to complain about.

Karak

Ehh, I've noticed this as well.

Most prominently at the bottom right of the map where you start the air race. There are some cliffs creating shadows and the other cars stay oddly bright.
Watched my hour video and didn't see this but I believe you. If its happening and not happening the only hope is that it was fixed since we know the beta is older than what just turned gold. I am assuming a simple failed lighting pass. Assuming.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It is supposed to be like that I think. It was tough at first for me but after a few races and adjusting my normal racing habits I was able to adjust.

jem0208

Watched my hour video and didn't see this but I believe you. If its happening and not happening the only hope is that it was fixed since we know the beta is older than what just turned gold. I am assuming a simple failed lighting pass. Assuming.

Yeah, hopefully all the issues we've found are fixed in the full release. They are only very minor quibbles though and are hardly affecting my enjoyment of the game.

Pjsprojects

Played all three cars in the demo now and still think this games graphics are top notch.

ibolUSAkK4YmAs.gif

Come on lets have that screen shot feature!

Karak

Aha, I got the clip now so oh well :p

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...n Li&vid=93198f8d-8c76-4411-b209-3c4fc1000499

Repeated smashing into wall for dramatic effect.

Missed this. Ok so its above the stone barrier that goes into the corralled area on all 4 sides are ringed by either wood or stone. That wooden fence goes around and that area is blocked off on all 4 sides right? I was just there a couple hours ago. If so it makes sense. If not than they are doing that stupid thing where unbreakable items have a limitless height.

ibolUSAkK4YmAs.gif

Bravo man. Bravo

Yeah, hopefully all the issues we've found are fixed in the full release. They are only very minor quibbles though and are hardly affecting my enjoyment of the game.
It could also be a perception thing, we would need to see everything else in the exact same spots to see if ANYTHING throws a shadow at all. One reason why I keep wondering why games this awesome and big and wide open someone doesn't make an RPG with them:)

However I have encountered some areas which look downright awful. Extremely low res ground textures with no grass on them, 2d trees which rotated as you drove past them, broken geometry.

This was up a hill through a bunch of trees though.
I think I know that exact spot. Ran into it and got stuck for a minute on this really chunky and sharp geometry. The whole illusion fell apart. Am hoping that isn't there in the full game.

Karak

That isn't at all a camera issue thats a game issue. The game has you going places and doing things that many racers don't and sadly those views will make it difficult at times. I use them as well.
I read that the full game is 37gb? Is that true? That's more than 1/3 of my bandwidth cap, and will take forever to download at 5mb/s.
Yep.
Buy the disk man. No reason to burn up cap.

How amazing is it that there's a demo for a game that's so good that having an unskippable intro is something we have to complain about.

Heh, I don't see it as much of an issue in the demo. The demo is clearly the early part of the real game, so once you actually get the full thing and get past that intro it'll be out of your face for good. Even if it happens to be skippable in the final game, I think it's smart to make it unskippable in the demo. It really helps to set the tone and all around festival atmosphere they're going for with the game, and I wouldn't want anyone missing it if I were the dev team. If they made it skippable, then there's a very good chance people would never witness it because people would be rushing to get to the game.

It legitimately helps sell the game. It played a key role in getting me excited lol.

Bah. I set mine to energy saving as I can go days without using it.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to get used to sitting through the intro every single time I decide to play the demo...

Strange, didn't MS design this thing to be very energy efficient and shut off various parts of the system while they're not being used? I've left mine on for 2 weeks in stretches, possibly much longer. It will shut off on its own after an hour depending on where I am on the system though. If it's on the dashboard or in specific apps then it will turn off on its own in an hour, but if its currently viewing TV full screen then it will stay turned on to facilitate the TV passthrough feature.

Krilekk

Banned

Dashboard and cockpit are ok in the Bowler but driving like that with the Audi is a mess. You don't see anything while going offroad.

I play from the cockpit view. Yes,it can be hard to see things when you're plowing through a field, but it's not an issue unless you're racing. If you are racing, in most cases you can follow the checkpoint markers (although making them more visible, like they were in the first game, might not be a bad idea), and besides, you're supposed to learn the track, so after a few tries, you should know where to go. Also, take a glance at the map from time to time.

Alternatively, you can pick a higher vehicle.

Finally tested it! This is a really, really fun game. The sort of games that would go down with a beer! I had some issues with the visuals, though...It's not that there is anything bad that should be singled out; rather, some aspects had been treated better than others, imo. The environments (Those fields oO) are gorgeous, but the cars less so. I loved the lighting, but was annoyed with pop-up and some muddy textures here and there...
The thing I am still struggling with is the handling. It is still bizarre to a neophyte like myself. I did not play the original version, so it must be that I need to acclimate myself with the driving model.
Still, wonderful experience. I have not purchased a next-gen console yet, but if I were to opt for the Xbox One, I could not think of a better software purchase.

mike4001_

I asked several pages back and got no answer.

Can someone describe what the VIP package does ?

What does die 2x faster progress mean ? - Do I basically get every car 2 times faster ?

jacobeid

Banned
Heh, I don't see it as much of an issue in the demo. The demo is clearly the early part of the real game, so once you actually get the full thing and get past that intro it'll be out of your face for good. Even if it happens to be skippable in the final game, I think it's smart to make it unskippable in the demo. It really helps to set the tone and all around festival atmosphere they're going for with the game, and I wouldn't want anyone missing it if I were the dev team. If they made it skippable, then there's a very good chance people would never witness it because people would be rushing to get to the game.

It legitimately helps sell the game. It played a key role in getting me excited lol.

I think the poster's point is that we typically don't fire up a demo more than once. Horizon 2's demo is so good though that you want to just keep playing which speaks to the overall quality of the game. The fact that it's a complaint just goes to show how good everything else is.

Mrbob

I enjoy the demo but have a big issue with the cockpit view. The viewpoint is too low, like the driver is only 5 feet tall. I want to dig into this game more too but can't because I do not like where the camera is placed. Wish I could raise the viewpoint.

TaKeRx

I love the game. EXCEPT.

When going to an online freeroam with a friend and I, why are all of the requests popping up on the top screen to join somebodie's race or follow a path for everyone to meet from the lobby? I had to disable the Navigation voice because she will keep telling me to take turn I didn't want to take while my friend and I would just be crusing.

I hope that you can create your own private seesion and now just drop you in a lobby.

Besides this, the game is as perfect as can be. Oh! and last question if anyone knows. While this is a free-roam game, will there be drift,drag,etc... races in the game? I can't recall them being in the first one. I have my ultimate edition pre-loaded!

E92 M3

I find the music very lacking in this game. There so many good EDM producers out there, yet they chose some pretty generic stuff. That said, I'm happy at least Arty is in there.

Krilekk

Banned
I asked several pages back and got no answer.

Can someone describe what the VIP package does ?

What does die 2x faster progress mean ? - Do I basically get every car 2 times faster ?

Sort of. There's two rewards in Horizon 2, Credits and XP. With VIP you level XP twice as fast (so basically you get to whatever the cap is now - if there is one - twice as fast). Each level up grants you a random reward. A car, money, maybe a skill point. You will get double the rewards in the same time as normal players. You will reach certain achievements much faster (let's say it takes 50 hours to max your level, you will now do it in 25 hours).

In addition you get some seasonal bonus cars (actually liveries). Plus the VIP car pack but that looks pretty abysmal. The real deal is Forza rewards. That gives you access to lots of cars early. The Huracan, the P1. It's gonna save you a lot of credits getting those for free.

jem0208

I think I know that exact spot. Ran into it and got stuck for a minute on this really chunky and sharp geometry. The whole illusion fell apart. Am hoping that isn't there in the full game.

I think I know the exact piece of geometry you're talking about.

Here's a clip of the rotating trees as well: http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...n Li&vid=1d635679-f31b-4098-af6b-31afc41f080d

Like I said in a previous post, these are minor issues however they are kinda annoying and do break the immersion somewhat.

mike4001_

Sort of. There's two rewards in Horizon 2, Credits and XP. With VIP you level XP twice as fast (so basically you get to whatever the cap is now - if there is one - twice as fast). Each level up grants you a random reward. A car, money, maybe a skill point. You will get double the rewards in the same time as normal players. You will reach certain achievements much faster (let's say it takes 50 hours to max your level, you will now do it in 25 hours).

In addition you get some seasonal bonus cars (actually liveries). Plus the VIP car pack but that looks pretty abysmal. The real deal is Forza rewards. That gives you access to lots of cars early. The Huracan, the P1. It's gonna save you a lot of credits getting those for free.

Thank you. Sounds good.

Deluxe Pack it is! :D

Amir0x

Banned
god i am going through Horizon withdrawals. I know I can't live at my friends house in order to just keep playing a demo but...

...but, wait, can I move into my friends house so I can just play a demo? Is that like weird? That's totally not weird.

Well, you still have thirteen days. :) Game is sitting ready to unlock on my HDD since yesterday.

I was asked to review it, and am appreciative of the code. It's just going to be a long download. Hopefully I won't need much more bandwidth this month.

Could pay $10 more to get unlimited, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Kssio_Aug

And does that VIP have a expiration date? Or VIPs will be VIPs until Forza Horizon 3?

I think the poster's point is that we typically don't fire up a demo more than once. Horizon 2's demo is so good though that you want to just keep playing which speaks to the overall quality of the game. The fact that it's a complaint just goes to show how good everything else is.

Yea, I know what he meant. I was just going off on a separate thought that having the intro be unskippable is probably a pretty good idea for the demo, as I feel it does a really good job of helping sell the game. It both sells the vision, but then the wait probably has the effect of making the player even more anxious to play. Both things are favorable conditions for a demo that offers the chance to buy the full game. :)

bidguy

Banned
anybody else get it from hk store to save a few bucks ? says play it on 02.10.14 so i guess we will wait a few days longer :(

Krilekk

Banned
god i am going through Horizon withdrawals. I know I can't live at my friends house in order to just keep playing a demo but...

...but, wait, can I move into my friends house so I can just play a demo? Is that like weird? That's totally not weird.

But it leads to the question if we can have physical club houses in Horizon 2. I loved that in TDU.

shandy706

Different spot but just as chunky - so much so that my car was stuck, teetering on the edge of one of them sharp polygons. Some of the geometry in the demo is seriously old school.

LOL, I'd hit up Turn10/Helios on those locations. Looks like a missed piece of geometry QC.

Could be a Demo bug too though.

jacobeid

Banned
Yea, I know what he meant. I was just going off on a separate thought that having the intro be unskippable is probably a pretty good idea for the demo, as I feel it does a really good job of helping sell the game. It both sells the vision, but then the wait probably has the effect of making the player even more anxious to play. Both things are favorable conditions for a demo that offers the chance to buy the full game. :)

*eats foot*

I agree, by the way.

Top Bottom