• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Tried the demo before leaving for work. Pretty fun. Not sure if I'm going to break my promise of not buying a racing game for a console that doesn't support my G27 wheel.

Horizon don't really support wheels anyway, it works but it's weird, the game is build for gamepads.

I want to stream this for my friend who hasn't got an X1, but loved the first game. I don't have Kinect, though...so is there any way for me to stream this demo without having to have Twitch snapped the entire time?

So there's no way to save your progress if you exit the demo or to skip the intro? I can see the intro becoming pretty bloody annoying if there's no way to skip it...

U2NUMB

I want to stream this for my friend who hasn't got an X1, but loved the first game. I don't have Kinect, though...so is there any way for me to stream this demo without having to have Twitch snapped the entire time?

You do not in any way have to have it snapped... or need a Kinect.

Just unsnap after you begin your broadcast and it goes away.. you still get the indicator in the bottom middle of the screen letting you know how many viewers you have.

adelante

Brought back good memories of Felony 11-79

1519885-screen_felony1179_cide2010_09_13_21_28_26_40.png

Holy Nostalgia, Batman! I spent countless hours with that game, racking up cash from destroying property and vehicles has never been so much fun ( I recall destroying the subway train netting you the most dough?) They need to make a current-gen version!!!

Bessy67

You can broadcast on twitch without the twitch app snapped. You have to snap it at first to start the broadcast, but you can unsnap it while streaming.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
not sure where you get that information.
The original on 360 worked awesome with the standard xbox wheel.

I played H1 360 with my Fanatec GT2 but with a very weird setup (like 300° rotation and changed de linearity of the wheel). I used my Thrustmaster TX yesterday with the H2 demo and have to set the rotation to 270° and the feeling is still really weird compared to the Forza 5's almost perfect controls and FFB.

You do not in any way have to have it snapped... or need a Kinect.

Just unsnap after you begin your broadcast and it goes away.. you still get the indicator in the bottom middle of the screen letting you know how many viewers you have.

You can broadcast on twitch without the twitch app snapped. You have to snap it at first to start the broadcast, but you can unsnap it while streaming.

Thanks guys, I'm such a dumbass. For some reason I had it in my head that you couldn't unsnap Twitch without having Kinect plugged in :S

Ah man the sense of freedom and speed in this game is absolutely great! i'm getting TDU2 vibes but with proper physics i feel its my duty to get the ultimate edition now!

I've played through it lots of times now, and it is still fantastic...however.

There are some graphical issues I hope are resolved for the final build.

- There is some very obvious environmental pop-in, only highlighted because the draw-distance is so good.
- LOD (level of detail) issues, some cars almost appear to 'appear' in front of you as transition occurs
- Night time; some of the cars look like cheap plastic when the headlights highlight them and the road surface at times is way too reflective
- Shadows; some very poor shadows (noticeable outside the house during the bucket list challenge)

Let me reiterate that as a whole everything looks fantastic, but the above (especially the pop-in) ruins it at times.

saladine1

I would imagine Playground Games (and Turn 10 for that matter) would be absolutely thrilled about the reception so far.

On another note, I haven't heard "Turning car lovers into gamers and gamers into car lovers" for ages. I wonder if Greenawalt is perhaps working on a new motto for the Forza franchise and if so, when will it be unveiled..?

Demo is damn amazing. Cannot wait for the full game!

I also love the fact I can have gas/brake on the right stick, something that was omitted in the first game.

Awesome.

Horizon don't really support wheels anyway, it works but it's weird, the game is build for gamepads.

I've been playing the demo exclusively with the thrustmaster tx458 wheel and I can guarantee you that all expected force feedback is there, as well as support for The rumble motor.

Its awesome and fun as hell, especially when you turn up the feedback strength and go off road.

I've been playing the demo exclusively with the thrustmaster tx458 wheel and I can guarantee you that all expected force feedback is there, as well as support for The rumble motor.

Its awesome and fun as hell, especially when you turn up the feedback strength and go off road.

Do you get a jolt through the wheel when landing a car?

If so does the wheel pull depending which side hits first?

Do you get a jolt through the wheel when landing a car?

If so does the wheel pull depending which side hits first?

Yes and yes. Even for small bumps. The default feedback and vibration strength at 50 is quite tame, but at just 75 it's plenty strong and I'm a big guy.

If you let go of the wheel while driving on rough terrain, it Will jolt and wiggle about as the car goes over bumps and troughs.

Maybe I'll make a video actually.

I would say that even Need For Speed Rivals (As bad as it was) had a more varied, detailed and living open-world.

I just think that it looks a bit stale (For lack of better description). Like most of the map will be empty fields filled with cut-and-past bushes that you can no-clip through.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks like the most fun racer since Horizon 1. But as far as asthetics go, I think it looks like a last-gen game (Horizon 1 or TDU) running at a higher resolution.

Just my opinion. I will still pick it up.
Have you actually played it yet? Empty fields? Are you sure have actually seen this game?

E92 M3

Holy Nostalgia, Batman! I spent countless hours with that game, racking up cash from destroying property and vehicles has never been so much fun ( I recall destroying the subway train netting you the most dough?) They need to make a current-gen version!!!

Yes, me too! I remember going to Funcoland with my dad to pick it up when it released. Was so hyped for it from reading in EGM.

Finally played it. Looks great and looks like it could be fun. But it creates a severe case of cognitive dissonance with me. It looks realistic but I'm expected to do wholly unrealistic things. I find that hard to reconcile. It reminds me of the last Test Drive (never played the first Horizon) but the off road stuff I just don't like. You can hit trees and telegraph poles but I zoom through fair sized bushes etc and it just feels weird. Now obviously compromises had to be made but for a game that apes reality so well these compromises stand out like a sore thumb.
I like the look of it and the cars generally felt good (apart from a general lack of connection to the road - they kinda feel floaty) so I may still get it. I just need to reconcile the strangeness of what the game seems to want me to do. Also the announcer is really fucking annoying and I'd like to punch him, patronizing git.

jem0208

So there's no way to save your progress if you exit the demo or to skip the intro? I can see the intro becoming pretty bloody annoying if there's no way to skip it...
If you have instant on enabled and don't play another game you can switch off your Xbox and come back to play later...

jem0208

I've played this demo for a while and on the whole it looks absolutely fucking fantastic. However I have encountered some areas which look downright awful. Extremely low res ground textures with no grass on them, 2d trees which rotated as you drove past them, broken geometry.

This was up a hill through a bunch of trees though.

Another thing which I have noticed which was very annoying. I did a massive jump off of the cliff near the circuit race you can do. And hit an invisible wall about 20m above a stone wall. So I hit a wall mid air and fell to the ground. Bit jarring.

Karish

Is there a link someone can give that details Horizon 2 features, game modes, etc. I haven't been following the game and didn't play the first, but I loved the demo and want to get even more HYPE

I've played this demo for a while and on the whole it looks absolutely fucking fantastic. However I have encountered some areas which look downright awful. Extremely low res ground textures with no grass on them, 2d trees which rotated as you drove past them, broken geometry.

This was up a hill through a bunch of trees though.

Another thing which I have noticed which was very annoying. I did a massive jump off of the cliff near the circuit race you can do. And hit an invisible wall about 20m above a stone wall. So I hit a wall mid air and fell to the ground. Bit jarring.

It's a demo

The weight of the cars in this game just feels right. Cannot believe Horizon 2 feels this immersive when I'm sitting on a couch with a controller. I get the same sort of "I'm there" feeling as if I was in an arcade racing cockpit with force feedback and a giant screen right in front of my face.

So good.

jem0208

It's a demo

Oh I know, I'm just pointing out some of the issues I've found. I'm loving the game btw and I'm seriously considering pre-ordering it. Something I never do except for with Halo. So this isn't me just searching for reasons to shit on the game.

at some point in any game you hit a wall lol. Maybe it was edge of map they designed

Nah, it was right in the centre of the map and directly above a stone wall. Definitely not the edge.

DirtyLarry

Just curious is no one else racing using the dashboard cam and/or even more specifically the "first person" no hood cam? The latter is actually what I prefer to use in racing games, and it have to say the game is really hard to play using that camera. Even the dash view is really hard to driving with, specifically when driving through the fields.
I just feel like I am playing a different game then everyone else.
The amount of hype made me think I would be playing the GOTY.
Instead, especially when using the two views I usually use, I thought I was playing a very good game with some pretty glaring camera issues.
I suppose if you play the game with 3rd person view, which is the default view, none of these issues would be apparent. So perhaps that is why there is not much discussion about those issues.

Top Bottom