• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Game is pretty fun but...

WHAT THE F*CK is up with the teenie-bopper, glow-stick-waving douche-bag presentation?

It's almost offensive.
"What's our target audience?"
"Well, we think we can cater to dumb party animals, so we're going strong on the shallow-rich-kid experience. Our theme will focus on raves, muscle tees, and high-fives."

I don't think I would like to party with you. It's a fun party. A festival. What's the big deal? I enjoy. Would love to go to a Coachella type music festival with race cars going off all over

Cheddahz

Banned

WHAT THE F*CK is up with the teenie-bopper, glow-stick-waving douche-bag presentation?

It's almost offensive.
"Well, we think we can cater to dumb party animals, so we're going strong on the shallow-rich-kid experience. Our theme will focus on raves, muscle tees, and high-fives."

I mean, I'm 20 and I'm not really into that kind of stuff, but I think the music suits the game perfectly well and it's a racing game, so that stuff is just really in the background

mdsfx

I mean, I'm 20 and I'm not really into that kind of stuff, but I think the music suits the game perfectly well and it's a racing game, so that stuff is just really in the background
Actually, the music I can handle. I even like quite a bit of it!

The only people who can afford to buy most of these cars are spoiled rich kids or 55 and over. So unless you want Top Gear the game
I don't think the technology exist for digital Clarkson
this is what you get.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can you change the driver at all or is everyone the person in the demo?

i doubt that you can change him, couldnt in fh1 and theres been no mention of that. personally, i'd just like to get a jacket and some gloves. the arms and hands look pretty cartoony.

Afro

i'm curious if it's possible to artificially make the arcadey handling/physics more challenging and less forgiving by sabotaging some of the tuning options e.g. using some absurd tire pressure values, camber/caster, damping, differential, etc. in love with the demo, but the arcadey physics leave me with zero satisfaction even w/ all assists off.

anyone think of trying this?

jem0208

It's almost offensive.
It's a festival.

mdsfx

The only people who can afford to buy most of these cars are spoiled rich kids or 55 and over. So unless you want Top Gear the game
I don't think the technology exist for digital Clarkson
this is what you get.
Lol you actually have a point

i doubt that you can change him, couldnt in fh1 and theres been no mention of that. personally, i'd just like to get a jacket and some gloves. the arms and hands look pretty cartoony.

I would love if they could implement the character creation and home ownership from TDU in the next game. Forza Vista in a actual garage where you could go from car to car like in PGR 3. *drool*

Certinty

Same for me, I'm in my early twenties and not into that kind of stuff either but I really love the vibe it gives off in the Horizon games, makes the game even more unique than other open world racers.

Fess

How is Forza Horizon 2 different than Forza Motorsport?

I've only played Motorsport.
Forza Horizon 2 : open world arcade racer, closed tracks, free racing and off road, 30 frames per second
Forza Motorsport 5 : simulator, closed tracks racer, 60 frames per second

30 fps is disappointing in my opinion, wrong genre for that, but it's still insanely fun, and very arcadey, feels more like Motorstorm than Forza Motosport with the off road races, which is not a bad thing. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while the music festival vibe doesnt click with me, i appreciate when games have a strong direction and arent just watered down to appeal to everyone. so yeah, good job playground with the horizon festival vibe, even if it makes me feel old.

timlot

Banned
while the music festival vibe doesnt click with me, i appreciate when games have a strong direction and arent just watered down to appeal to everyone. so yeah, good job playground with the horizon festival vibe, even if it makes me feel old.

I agree with having a musical direction. Can't stand the symphony that is FM5.

p3tran

Banned
i'm curious if it's possible to artificially make the arcadey handling/physics more challenging and less forgiving by sabotaging some of the tuning options e.g. using some absurd tire pressure values, camber/caster, damping, differential, etc. in love with the demo, but the arcadey physics leave me with zero satisfaction even w/ all assists off.

anyone think of trying this?
try to get a wheel

I quite like keeping music on in Horizon 1 - though turned down - as it's part of the atmosphere. But it's always off in Motorsport games.

In most racing games I listen to podcasts while I'm driving around.

Rembrandt

Banned

It's almost offensive.

you're getting old, man.

Indiedevs

Banned
Does anybody know how long the single player content is supposed to be on this game? Tried to Google but came up with nothing.

100+ hours of gameplay, 700 events, 100s of collectibles according to creative director, Ralph Fulton on Twitter. And that`s without ever connecting the game online. Just from the disc.

ironcreed

Banned
The whole festival and the music thing is meant to generate an overall 'feel good' vibe. Some of it may not even be music that you would catch yourself listening to normally, but oddly enough, you find yourself enjoying the groove of it all here. Combined with the feeling of cruising around the gorgeous environment in amazing cars, you get so relaxed that you don't have a care in the world. That is what made me love the first one so much and they have excelled at generating the same kind of tone in this one to an even higher degree. Can't wait.

Cygnus

Banned
I leave it on for the first couple of weeks out of respect for the people who made it. Then its off for the rest of the year/years.

I really liked the menu music in Forza 4, can't say the same for 2 though, probably the most annoying soundtrack in any game ever.

My favourite Forza music was the very first Motorsport game - which featured lots of soundalike instrumental versions of famous rock songs. Not quite close enough to get sued, but you could tell what they were.

Cygnus

Banned
My favourite Forza music was the very first Motorsport game - which featured lots of soundalike instrumental versions of famous rock songs. Not quite close enough to get sued, but you could tell what they were.

YES! Junkie XL is awesome, I guess hard rock music just isn't cool enough any more.

100+ hours of gameplay, 700 events, 100s of collectibles according to creative director, Ralph Fulton on Twitter. And that`s without ever connecting the game online. Just from the disc.

~700 events I think.

Wow, didn't expect that at all. Thanks for the replies, was on the fence about going digital but that sounds like it will take me ages to get through with other games alongside it.

saladine1

I reckon PG should've went for a Baroque Classical theme instead of 'teeny bop'.

Instead of guys and gals jumping around like lunatics in the background to the sounds of bass and drum, you have civilized people doing the Waltz with guys in wigs playing shiny pianos and violins....

mdsfx

So now that I have been tagged as a crotchety old man (let's move on), can anyone tell me if the dude-bro attitude tappers off? Again, I don't mind the music, so excluding that.

Edit: I am finding it a lot more fun to race through a city or country roads than the same professional tracks over and over. Not sure about the off road controls though. Still getting used to them.

Megasoum

Banned
lolol wife came, saw and conquered the wheel. 8)
I set no damage, no sim steering and abs on for her and she is having a blast driving up&down the coast line.
she is a fast driver in real life, but watching her play I laugh as she is more careful here :D
she even had her "oh shit moment" just now as she passed a high speed camera and she saw the flash lolol

megasoum, try wheel settings for sure. competing with 900degrees sim steering no assists on those open throttle wide angle turns on dirt.. haha only for masochists :D
once it clicks to where you feel comfortable, you'll be having a blast

Mind sharing your settings (both on the wheel and ingame)? I'm curious to try them when I get back home tonight.

RyudBoy

Man, how I wish the game would release this Tuesday instead of the next. 10 more days feels like 100.

And although playing with the controller is fine, I really do miss using the speedwheel on 360. Hope they release an adapter or a similar wheel for XB1 someday.

p3tran

Banned
Mind sharing your settings (both on the wheel and ingame)? I'm curious to try them when I get back home tonight.
sure
for wheel, 600 degrees and 65 ff 70 rumble
for nice difficulty: all assists off, full damage on, simulation steering, manual with auto clutch.
for fun: all assists off, damage completely off, normal steering
let me know how you find it, and suggest improvements

also, here is a video of an experienced player trying unbeatable difficulty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_pfHUx7YNI&feature=youtu.be&t=15m36s
pretty funny :D "Downloading new Drivatars", then dude fights for 11th place until he crashes at a tree :D

how many were there in horizon 1 ? and how much bigger is this one ?

In vanilla Horizon (without the rally expansion) there were 70 festival events, 30 street races, 10 showcase events, 30 PR stunts, and 7 star showdowns. So if we count all of those, 147. According to the game's stat tracker, it took me almost 40 hours for all of those (and a bunch of other things, like collecting discount signs, finding barn cars, racing rivals and random AI drivers or just driving around), but I'm not sure if that's correct, because it felt like even longer to me.

That sounds too good to be true....

It sounds like there will be a 15-20 hour route through to winning the championship. I doubt this will involve all 700 events. This is essentially the story element with cutscenes you can dip in and out of - like in Horizon 1. You don't need to do every event to get the bands to move up the levels until you do the final race.

This happened in Horizon 1, and after the championship you were able to go back and do any events you'd missed on the way to the top (and repeat ones you had done already).

But what is different about Horizon 2 is that it seems to introduce a new gameplay feature in the endgame to make tackling the uncompleted events from the 700 more interesting.

Top Bottom