• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

T Ghost said:
You have to race over 40 hours to make 1.5~2 million.

Not sure thats an accurate figure. I have 24 hours of racing time and 3 million in credits and I've bought a ton of cars, upgrades, even duplicates etc. Do a world tour or an endurance race if money is tight and make sure to turn off as many assists as you can.

Haven't had a chance to grab the DLC yet because my internet went down, (thanks Comcast!), but over at Forzacentral, there's a press release announcing that FM3 has cleared the 1 million copies sold milestone, (congrats, T10), as well as the date of the next DLC pack: January 12, 2010.

While the December “Hot Holidays” Car Pack is great news for the Forza community, car lovers can expect yet another car pack to coincide with the North American International Auto Show in Detroit early next year. Racing onto Xbox LIVE Marketplace on Jan. 12, 2010, this new pack will add more of the latest and greatest cars to the ever-growing “Forza Motorsport 3” roster. For more information on what “Forza Motorsport 3” has in store, stay tuned to Forzamotorsport.net as we reveal each of the January cars via exclusive community spy shots.

Could the 10-cars-a-month DLC rumor turn out to be true after all?

skyfinch

T Ghost said:
You're not getting it Che. The problem is NOT that you don't make money racing. The problem is that the speed that you make money racing is too slow. You have to race over 40 hours to make 1.5~2 million. And that can get you half a dozen of full upgraded hot cars. So to have a respectable garage of say 150~200 cars you would have to race what, 1,000 hours? This is too much. Not all of us can dedicate 1,000 hours to gaming not to mention to a single game. Not even talking about having all cars.

1 endurance race can net you over 100,000. That's about an hour's worth of racing....

Best way to earn money racing is to jump right into the event listing and find races that have the biggest pay outs.

Edit, not sure if this was posted yet, but you can DL a sample of this DLC for free. It's the Audi S4, I think it is.

T Ghost

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Not sure thats an accurate figure. I have 24 hours of racing time and 3 million in credits and I've bought a ton of cars, upgrades, even duplicates etc. Do a world tour or an endurance race if money is tight and make sure to turn off as many assists as you can.

How many days did it take for you took to race 24 hours? It took me over a month to race arround 40 hours. RACE ONLY hours.

24 hours is almost 2 weeks of play and can get me no more than 2 to 3 new hot cars fully upgraded. I wish I was back in college and could afford 3 to 4 hours a day for gaming, but not an option anymore. It's 1 to 2 at best.

About the race tips you gave, I turn all assists off, just leave on the auto-clutch (drive on manual w/o clutch).

I think the problem is that I was following the career mode 3-event-choice thing too much and ended up doing too many E~A races. They are very fun but usually are short races that pay very little. Online is even worse. The clan that I race with, 2Old4Forza, races short races, 2 to 5 laps in sub R classes most of the time. It's a blast to race all this pals, but it is less than 10k per race, IF you get podium.

I should try endurance, how much do you get for lap in average for R1? Do you know? Grinding is so boring...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Spaceman Spiff said:
Haven't had a chance to grab the DLC yet because my internet went down, (thanks Comcast!), but over at Forzacentral, there's a press release announcing that FM3 has cleared the 1 million copies sold milestone, (congrats, T10), as well as the date of the next DLC pack: January 12, 2010.

Could the 10-cars-a-month DLC rumor turn out to be true after all?

i was getting worried about the amount sold looking at leaderboard numbers. congrats turn 10, hope this means f4 will be coming and all the stops will continue to be pulled to continue to be the "definitive" racer.

also, glad to hear about more dlc, even if it is cars. but when will we hear about new locations/tracks for dlc? i have loads of cars i love already, so still more cars isnt all that exciting to me. new tracks are.

qirex99

Banned
So many tin hats in here...

Never change gaf.

I'm only on my 2nd season but I LOVE the credit system. It really makes you love and cherish your cars! I was initially dismayed that I couldn't sell my ODST gift murcie and buy an LP640 easily - but I understood and appreciate the decision. It's a gift! Don't look the horse in the mouth!!

So yeah, a free car! ThANkS T10!- so now to mod it how I like...1st thing todo- change the silly paintjob. Oh shits, you mean it's gone 4ever??? Maybe I keep it then...

See these choices t10 made serve to endear the cars to their owners.

Of course, you can freeplay or MP all that you like.

Great system guys!

Loving this way better than F2!!

T Ghost

AlanzTalon said:
once again the internet's capacity for crying rears it's ugly head.

If every car in the career mode was so cheap that it just took a few hours to buy them all...what's the point of having credits at all? if there isnt any reason for money to matter (i.e. T Ghost has so many credits he just buys all/any car whenever he wants it) then how is that any different than the arcade mode?

the economy forces you to make choices on what cars you want to buy, how you spend your money, and what you buy on the storefront.
I agree with your argument. The problem is that to have all 400 cars in Forza 3 you have to race a superhuman amount of hours, somewhere over 10,000 hours. How many games have you played 100 hours of? What about 1,000? Me, since I started gaming at 6 in 1978, none. I even if FM3 was the first one, If I RACED 100 hours of it ( not counting upgrading, waiting in lobbys, tunning hours) I would have arround 10,000,000. You can't buy more than 10 supercars with that in the game.

Your point is superbly correct. Only it misses to address the money situation in FM3 for racers.

Chrange

Banned
T Ghost said:
I agree with your argument. The problem is that to have all 400 cars in Forza 3 you have to race a superhuman amount of hours, somewhere over 10,000 hours. How many games have you played 100 hours of? What about 1,000? Me, since I started gaming at 6 in 1978, none. I even if FM3 was the first one, If I RACED 100 hours of it ( not counting upgrading, waiting in lobbys, tunning hours) I would have arround 10,000,000. You can't buy more than 10 supercars with that in the game.

Your point is superbly correct. Only it misses to address the money situation in FM3 for racers.

So...don't get all 400 cars? Why shouldn't having all 400 cars in your season mode be difficult?

Chrange

Banned
T Ghost said:
Why should it be Humanly IMPOSSIBLE?

It's not that either though. It might be difficult if you only race, don't turn off assists, and refuse to do the 'money' races, but it's far from impossible.

Gravijah

AlanzTalon said:
once again the internet's capacity for crying rears it's ugly head.

If every car in the career mode was so cheap that it just took a few hours to buy them all...what's the point of having credits at all? if there isnt any reason for money to matter (i.e. T Ghost has so many credits he just buys all/any car whenever he wants it) then how is that any different than the arcade mode?

the economy forces you to make choices on what cars you want to buy, how you spend your money, and what you buy on the storefront.

I thought the point of the game was to collect, race, and paint? As a collector, I know I'm gonna have a mighty huge task in front of me. :(

Jube3

T Ghost said:

ON the racing note though, if you want to grind (anything done for the sole purpose of making money will be a grind wether its paintint or tuning) Endurance races with no assists is a lot of credits, like 200k+ and an easier zone out way to get it by racing is to do the solo MP room and run laps on a speedway in fast cars. Easy credits. Get like 100k+ an hour doing that while you watch tv lol.

Wrong thread I know but it is from the new car pack.

21e42dl.jpg

Already turned the GT R into a S class racer, just needs some tuning now and then I will try it out online probably to be whopped by those dodge vipers.

28sqwsy.jpg

amar212

I also think DLC cars are too expensive, as well as many other cars in the game.

I've raced up to level 40 and have literally bought maybe 3 cars from dealers.

I only have 2,1 million in my garage.

Prices are too high, period.

I know it can't be changed, but I'm just not happy.

And I really, really, really love to race and drive.

But online, AWD racism and unbalanced choice of hoppers is also not making my Forza time any more beautiful.

Jube3 said:
...and an easier zone out way to get it by racing is to do the solo MP room and run laps on a speedway in fast cars. Easy credits. Get like 100k+ an hour doing that while you watch tv lol.

Sorry Jube, but that is just plain RETARDED.

And you may also find it as cheating, right?

I would so like to be able to make some serious money by NORMAL racing, instead of going for retarded abusing the game structure.

And there is just no NORMAL way to make some nice pile of cash from offline or online because in offline you have to spend ridicilous amount of time (or do retarded hotlapping) in order to collect the money, while in oline you have to play Burnout with Audi racists.

Sorry mate, just plain wrong.

And since I'm not talented for drawing and such I can also forget Auction house.

Which leaves my in realm of despair and anger.

And anger leads to hate.:D

It is wrong, prices are too high. Period.

T Ghost

Chrange said:
It's not that either though. It might be difficult if you only race, don't turn off assists, and refuse to do the 'money' races, but it's far from impossible.

Add up: you can make AT BEST 200k per hour of racing. in 100 hours you make 20,000,000. One HUNDRED Hours of RACING only. And you can get the Ferrari. Or 10 hot cars. 390 cars to go now! How much do you need to get all 400 cars and upgrade them?

Humanly IMPOSSIBLE.

Jube3

amar212 said:
I would so like to be able to make some serious money by NORMAL racing, instead of going for retarded abusing the game structure.

And there is just no NORMAL way to make some nice pile of cash from offline or online because in offline you have to spend ridicilous amount of time (or do retarded hotlapping) in order to collect the money, while in oline you have to play Burnout with Audi racists.

And since I'm not talented for drawing and such I can also forget Auction house.

It is wrong, prices are too high. Period.

I hear ya that its hard to make cash doing just calendar stuff but there ismoney there to be made online, serious money too if you get creative. Organize a tournament with a 100k buying. Winner takes 70%, second place 20% third 10%. If you win thats a nice chunk of change. If you lose its an endurance race. :D

Add up: you can make AT BEST 200k per hour of racing. in 100 hours you make 20,000,000. One HUNDRED Hours of RACING only. And you can get the Ferrari. Or 10 hot cars. 390 cars to go now! How much do you need to get all 400 cars and upgrade them?

Humanly IMPOSSIBLE.

in 250 hours I've made 55-60 million cr painting. Are you really gonna drive and tune all 400 cars? the process of buying and properly tuning 400 cars would probably hit over 100 hours hehe

T Ghost said:
How many days did it take for you took to race 24 hours? It took me over a month to race arround 40 hours. RACE ONLY hours.

24 hours is almost 2 weeks of play and can get me no more than 2 to 3 new hot cars fully upgraded. I wish I was back in college and could afford 3 to 4 hours a day for gaming, but not an option anymore. It's 1 to 2 at best.

About the race tips you gave, I turn all assists off, just leave on the auto-clutch (drive on manual w/o clutch).

I think the problem is that I was following the career mode 3-event-choice thing too much and ended up doing too many E~A races. They are very fun but usually are short races that pay very little. Online is even worse. The clan that I race with, 2Old4Forza, races short races, 2 to 5 laps in sub R classes most of the time. It's a blast to race all this pals, but it is less than 10k per race, IF you get podium.

I should try endurance, how much do you get for lap in average for R1? Do you know? Grinding is so boring...

Not sure what you mean here but i don't know how many "days" it took to get 24 hours of racing time. I've had the game since release and I usually only play on weekends, maybe 5-6 hours during the week. Reading more of you post it's clear you aren't racing the big stakes courses since you indicate you haven't even tried an endurance race yet. Maybe you should get a little deeper into the game before you rip into turn10 and che.

G Rom

Some just like to have many cars to choose from, especially when the game is not that difficult, it's great to change cars between championships...
And you can't know what upgrades a car will have before buying it, sometimes I just buy a car to see if there's any ridiculous engine swap (like that Mercedes A Class in which you can put the C32's V6, this thing is undrivable after that !:lol ) or to get a livery (rally livery on my R5 Turbo just look great)
And if you're a car lover then, you're pretty much compeled to buy a lot if not all the cars !:D

In season 6 the credits awarded are the same amount as if you were to choose the events from the event list at the beginning of the game. That's my main grip with racing-earned money. Even if you were to 100% the game and in the 5% that will do it, you would still get the same amount of money.

In Forza 2, I had no problem with money and I must have bought 250+ cars. I understand that some cars need to be rare but the racing part in Forza 3 begins to be flawed when you're a collector and/or car lover.
Every time I bring this, people say that I need to turn assist off (85% more Cr), not spend money on cars or upgrades (what's the point of earning money then ?), sell cars on the auction house (when you're a collector, you don't really want to sell your cars). This is the problem, the game works great when you spend your money only on cars that are the best and don't bother to diversivy your garage.

BTW, awesome livery Jube3, I'm going to grab it right now !:D

T Ghost

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Not sure what you mean here but i don't know how many "days" it took to get 24 hours of racing time. I've had the game since release and I usually only play on weekends, maybe 5-6 hours during the week. Reading more of you post it's clear you aren't racing the big stakes courses since you indicate you haven't even tried an endurance race yet. Maybe you should get a little deeper into the game before you rip into turn10 and che.

Yeah. I RACED 40 hours and played almost 80 hours total. I really didn't get deep into the game yet...

Jube3 said:
in 250 hours I've made 55-60 million cr painting. Are you really gonna drive and tune all 400 cars? the process of buying and properly tuning 400 cars would probably hit over 100 hours hehe

No way! I don't plan at all to have all 400 cars but If I get all the cars I love in this game it would be arround 150 to 200 cars. Still a task that's way beyond of my reach. But I have a half a dozen of XBL Buddies that really want all 400+ cars and more. Freaks... :lol:

You are making 240,000/hour with your painting and you are one, if not the most talented painter in FM3. Now tell me that in a game with 15kk and 20kk cars and a lot for over 1.5kk and pricey upgrades this is not slow.

I'm surprised at how many people really don't care about collecting cars in FM3...

To bad there is no money exploit like in F2. That would solve everyones problems. :D

T Ghost said:
Yeah. I RACED 40 hours and played almost 80 hours total. I really didn't get deep into the game yet...

This is meaningless because I could have raced F class over and over again and gotten the same amount of time. It's what/where you race, not for how long.

Spasm

I've been able to make some decent money on the Auction House. In 4 auctions, I've just about doubled my investment. Someone's always auctioning off a high dollar car on the cheap. Buy it. Unlock it. Reauction it for about double on the buyout. I've done a Veyron, FXX, Commodore VE, and GT3-RSR this way. Easy $$.

G Rom

SuperEnemyCrab said:
To bad there is no money exploit like in F2. That would solve everyones problems. :D

What would be the point ? Didn't you hear, Microsoft is banning gamers who are using exploits !:lol

I must be missing something... because I've played f'all and I've got plenty of credits. Are you sitting there doing hot laps or time trials or something and wondering why your credits aren't going up?

Maybe turn10 should do double credits days at some point, since it also works toward exp and buying cars. Maybe limit it to online if it needs a back end system to change the values. 3 lap race online right now nets on average it seems (a-s class) 9-12k depending if you win, don't win and you get much less.

T Ghost

SuperEnemyCrab said:

This is meaningless because I could have raced F class over and over again and gotten the same amount of time. It's what/where you race, not for how long.

What you said simply doesn't apply to the facts.

Fact: I played over 70 hours of FM3. That's 70 hours. Not 10, not 20, but over 70 HOURS. That's a LOT of hours for any game.
Fact 2: I raced over 30 hours in this game following the game designers' instructions in career mode. I raced 2 full season of R3, a lot of As and some S. I didn't stayed in the Fs all the time. I followed the natural progression of the game for over 30 RACING hours.

There's no way you can't say I didn't get deep in FM3 yet no matter how much you want to twist it.

T Ghost

Chrange said:
I think a lot of people care about collecting cars. Just not ALL the freaking cars.
How many cars you consider to be a collection and how much do you think it would cost in game credits to buy and upgrade this collection?

Arucardo

Diablohead said:
Maybe turn10 should do double credits days at some point, since it also works toward exp and buying cars. Maybe limit it to online if it needs a back end system to change the values. 3 lap race online right now nets on average it seems (a-s class) 9-12k depending if you win, don't win and you get much less.
That would be pretty cool, would probably see a boost in the amount of players online too.

T Ghost said:
What you said simply doesn't apply to the facts.

Fact: I played over 70 hours of FM3. That's 70 hours. Not 10, not 20, but over 70 HOURS. That's a LOT of hours for any game.
Fact 2: I raced over 30 hours in this game following the game designers' instructions in career mode. I raced 2 full season of R3, a lot of As and some S. I didn't stayed in the Fs all the time. I followed the natural progression of the game for over 30 RACING hours.

There's no way you can't say I didn't get deep in FM3 yet no matter how much you want to twist it.

All you can do is getting more talented and put an extra few hours into a non racing related activity and create some vinyls people actually want to pay for.

eso76

just bought the GT-R and the 458 Italia.
i don't think you should have the dlc cars in your garage without buying them in the game.

These racing games can only rely on this game/reward system; being able to buy new cars is the only reward you can get from playing, and i think the game is well balanced at that.
I actually think the game shouldn't even let you drive any car in free race mode, but that's probably too hardcore.
Well, maybe it's not fair that people who are able to paint awesome liveries get more money than anyone who just likes racing could ever dream of, but that's life. i think Forza should just stay like this.

One complaint i have though. In fm3 you quickly earn the ability to compete in upper classes picking events from the grid, with prizes in the 20/30.000 credits range per race, and going back to the earlier races for 2.000 or 3.000 credits makes no sense.

T Ghost said:

Fine, you've mastered the game and are so far beyond anyone else's criticism despite the fact you are whining about credits and throwing out figures of 1000 hours to get anywhere but yet haven't raced a single endurance match. Happy now?

cjelly said:
FUCK YES!

More DLC January 12th! :D :D

This DLC better have the Zonda(s) Che >:|

Pagani is the only manufacturer I need to purchase a car from to get the Connoisseur achievement, and im not settling for the 10 year old Zonda included in the game :lol

PjotrStroganov said:
All you can do is getting more talented at put an extra few hours into a non racing related activity and create some vinyls people actually want to pay for.

Not everyone bought the game for making livery's. Like I said earlier, the system might work fine for artists but like many of us, who bought the game for racing, it needs tweaking. Right now, I'm very limited in how I spend my money. I have to pretty much pick the right car for the class and stick with it. I can't be a kid in a candy store essentially, which is half the thrill of having a racing game.

Ultimo hombre said:
Not everyone bought the game for making livery's. Like I said earlier, the system might work fine for artists but like many of us, who bought the game for racing, it needs tweaking. Right now, I'm very limited in how I spend my money. I have to pretty much pick the right car for the class and stick with it. I can't be a kid in a candy store essentially, which is half the thrill of having a racing game.

That was my point. Guess some people are better at making sarcastic remarks than others;)

Pepto

Banned
It would be cool if the game awarded you something like 100 mil when you finished all the races in single player.

T Ghost

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Fine, you've mastered the game and are so far beyond anyone else's criticism despite the fact you are whining about credits and throwing out figures of 1000 hours to get anywhere but yet haven't raced a single endurance match. Happy now?
I got it now.

Disagree with you = whinning

Raced in the game for a looong time = mastered the game

make 100,000cr/hr in endurance = no problem in collecting cars that goes for 1,500,000 a pop.

Now It's up to you to make the numbers and understand where the 1,000hrs+ to get all 400 cars in the game "thing" comes from.

T Ghost said:
Now It's up to you to make the numbers and understand where the 1,000hrs+ to get all 400 cars in the game "thing" comes from.

Not sure what this even means, but I've got plenty of credits and I'm having a blast earning them. I don't really care if I get all 400 cars in the game. This isn't fucking pokemon. Good luck to you though, sounds like you have a lot of racing to get to.

ShapeGSX

Diablohead said:
Maybe turn10 should do double credits days at some point, since it also works toward exp and buying cars.

That's an awesome idea!

Double Cash/EXP weekends, just like Call of Duty and Halo 3 do it. That sort of thing really encourages people to pick up the game again, and maybe even buy the latest DLC months down the road.

Arucardo

T Ghost said:
I got it now.

Disagree with you = whinning

Raced in the game for a looong time = mastered the game

make 100,000cr/hr in endurance = no problem in collecting cars that goes for 1,500,000 a pop.

Did you know that the game has an auction house feature where you can buy cars for much cheaper than the store price? ;)

What difficulty setting are you playing on to cause such complaints about the amount of credits you get from races?

I personally don't have a single complaint about it, I think it's just fine. I play with the hardest settings except auto clutch and braking line.

GuessWho said:
can you race vs people who have the dlc pack even if you don't? I hope it doesn't split the userbase.
I saw cars I didn't have in Forza 2 while playing online so I'm sure it's the same in this one.

Top Bottom