• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Fanatec, with the clubsport pedals. I think maybe I'll set up the stand first and see if I feel up to messing with the wheel after that.

Jube3

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about it since I posted that and I do remember getting frustrated with GTPSP at times. Maybe it seemed easier because it was portable. I just never got the feeling that it simply couldn't be done like I do with Forza. And yeah, the random dealerships were the biggest load of bollocks ever to make it into a racing game.

If you ignore the Race cars and the million dollar super cars you can wrack up the rest of the cars pretty quickly. About 50 of them are in the 4k-50k range and the rest go from 50-200k. Going about it that way youll have 300 of the 400 cars pretty quickly. Then would come the grind if you wanted to go and pick up the ARX-02's etc.

Psychotext said:
Fanatec, with the clubsport pedals. I think maybe I'll set up the stand first and see if I feel up to messing with the wheel after that.

Good stuff man, enjoy it.

Bollocks. The stand is supposed to come with a rather chunky Allen Key for the bolts but there isn't one in the package and despite having a serious tool collection I don't have anything that'll fit it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I am gonna need to do a Money glitch to afford my DLC cars no way i am giving up 75 hours for the cars when i spent my well earned cash on it

Shocking i need to resort to cheating to race and upgrade the cars i payed for DLC wise

Magni

Hmm.. the racers, painters, and tuners might think money is hard to come by, but what about the lappers? Just spent 90 kCR on a tune w/ upgrades and 30 laps to get a top 1% time for what? O CR (and no recognition since despite my top 1% time I'm far from the top 20). New cars are great :D

KHarvey16

Kentpaul said:
I am gonna need to do a Money glitch to afford my DLC cars no way i am giving up 75 hours for the cars when i spent my well earned cash on it

Shocking i need to resort to cheating to race and upgrade the cars i payed for DLC wise

Didn't you pay for every car in the game?

Psychotext said:

I am thinking about clubsport .. let me know what you think. I have that $50.00 credit burning hole in my Fanatec account.

SmokyDave

KHarvey16 said:
Didn't you pay for every car in the game?
If you paid for a new character for Uncharted 2 and had to go back and complete the game twice as Drake before you could use them, would you think that was a bit silly? After all, that's how you unlocked all the other characters, right?

amar212

OK, can somebody put some light on this:

My friend just told me that even in Expert Hoppers - where there should be no assists whatsoever - you can still use ABS and racing line.

True?

I quitted racing again last week because I couldn't live with all those Audis banging each other to death regardless the simulation damage in Expert, but I didn't bother to check this ABS and racing line nonsense since I thouht Expert is assists-free zone.

If true, this all is getting another 10% retarded with every new day.

KHarvey16

SmokyDave said:
If you paid for a new character for Uncharted 2 and had to go back and complete the game twice as Drake before you could use them, would you think that was a bit silly? After all, that's how you unlocked all the other characters, right?

Uncharted 2 isn't a racing sim, it has a story.

SmokyDave said:

I think it's not really a good comparison ... while it doesn't really bother me all that much as I plan to slowly get all the cars and drive them all (when Fanatec send me my replacement pedals or when I broke down and buy the Clubsport), I do understand where some of you are coming from. Some just want to finish the game and move on, to me game like Forza 3 is game of forever, you just pop it in play it whenever you have an urge to play driving game.

there was a week or two, that all I do was playing Tag.

Any reason why the base of the GTR specV is completely flat and black with no detail? all the other cars in the game have some minir shine or visual details when you roll over but the GTR has like a baking tray for a base.

amar212 said:

My friend just told me that even in Expert Hoppers - where there should be no assists whatsoever - you can still use ABS and racing line.

True?

I quitted racing again last week because I couldn't live with all those Audis banging each other to death regardless the simulation damage in Expert, but I didn't bother to check this ABS and racing line nonsense since I thouht Expert is assists-free zone.

Expert hoppers only force off TCM and auto brake, yep I hate it too all those ABS users and AWD cars etc... Doubt turn10 will ever fix it. I am sick of having to use a AWD car to compete online, it's shit.

amar212

Diablohead said:
Expert hoppers only force off TCM and auto brake, yep I hate it too all those ABS users and AWD cars etc... Doubt turn10 will ever fix it. I am sick of having to use a AWD car to compete online, it's shit.

Great, final nail in the coffin.

Goodbye FM3, see you again when you became "racers game".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm guessing none of the complainers played FM2? You couldn't even buy all the cars in the game until you'd reached Level 50, then Level 20 for the other 2 regions. :lol

Take out the R Class cars, and it really isn't that hard to own the majority of the cars if you really want. But, you know, this is a racing game, not Pokémon.

cjelly said:
I'm guessing none of the complainers played FM2? You couldn't even buy all the cars in the game until you'd reached Level 50, then Level 20 for the other 2 regions. :lol

Take out the R Class cars, and it really isn't that hard to own the majority of the cars if you really want. But, you know, this is a racing game, not Pokémon.
But the most expensive car was no more then about 380k or around that, not 4.5million.

SmokyDave

cjelly said:

Aaargh! Why do people keep saying this? Collecting cars and racing cars are not mutually exclusive goals. It is possible to maintain a balance that allows you to collect 'em all through racing without requiring upwards of 1000 man hours.

ShapeGSX said:
Better or just easier?
Better as it was possible to collect all the cars. Che has described doing the same thing in Forza as prohibitively expensive. It wasn't easier, it was still kind of a grind and the random dealerships were absolutely bloody infuriating.

ShapeGSX

SmokyDave said:
Honestly, as a 30 year old man in full time employment with a partner, I cannot collect all the cars. It couldn't be done. It'd take years and require me to give up playing other games. Not gonna happen. How did GT PSP make it possible for me to collect 842 cars without giving up years of my life? Better economic balance, that's how.

Better or just easier?

Magni

I'm reaching up on level 40, I must have spent 100 kCR on the storefront/auction house, and yet I'm only closing on 2.8 million CR. How long will it take me to by these 4.5 mil CR cars?

In FM2 I was closing in on the collect all cars (needed a dozen EU race cars) when FM 3 shipped, but a month or more time and I'd have it. If there were such an achievement in FM3 it's take me five times as much time. FM3 is not the only game out there and games aren't the only thing in my life. The way FM3's economy is set up, you'd have to be a godly painter like jube, or a complete nolife, to have even half the available cars in your garage.

I'd keep the payouts for the <10 min races the same, but double those for the <45min races and quadruple those for the endurance races to make long race sessions more rewarding.

PG2G

I've never played GT: PSP and it's been a while since I've played GT anything so this may be off. I remember getting prize cars per event (with some events awarding one of many price cars), unlike Forza where you get them per level. When there are that many extra prize cars and the additional cash from being able to dump the repeated prize cars, I think it may make the whole money situation a little easier.

I'm not really annoyed by the money accumulation, its moreso the lack of prize cars.

That said, I don't really have an issue with not being able to collect all of the cars. I'm having fun with what I've bought and been awarded and haven't really felt the need to branch out.

So I finally cracked this open and the game feels like a warm blanket made of peanut butter. I love how I can have it on Medium with most the assists on and it still feels like I'm fighting tooth and nail for each position.

Biggest problem is the $!%@#ing install. The loading takes forever and a half, but I can't install the main game because I don't have room for two games installed on my HDD and this is totally secondary game for me and goddammit it takes up enough space with the second disc already and I don't even have enough room for the Japanese car pack or the free DLC shit that it came with.

Frakking 20gbs...

Sh0k

I went some pages behind and couldn't find it, what happened to the cars for the Forza pre-order car give away? I never received mine, the ones that you had to send an email with a picture of your pre-order receipt and your gamertag.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Psychotext said:
Bollocks. The stand is supposed to come with a rather chunky Allen Key for the bolts but there isn't one in the package and despite having a serious tool collection I don't have anything that'll fit it.

pm sent

Drastic

amar212 said:

True?

Yeah it's true. It's much more playable (people are more cautious) but still very disappointing considering how many of us requested NO assists. No Sim should use ABS and braking line, I feel this is just ridiculous.

Also, I had no idea how much this was abused until the leaderboards came out yesterday - most of the top times are using the line!! No wonder I am constantly outbraked in expert. With 2 assists for braking, it's more difficult for me to be competitive. Of course I could always turn these on, but they're cheats to me and it kills the realism. That's not why I bought this game.

Could we PLEASE have a sim-only option with no AB, ABS, STM, TCS, or Line? I don't see why that would be asking too much, since that's how racing is done in the real world?

458 Italia is awesome. A bit of understeer with Race tires but putting on the stock tires and lowering the front tire pressure 28-29 psi helped. Still a little bit of understeer but closer to neutral.

Gek54

FunnyBunny said:
If another car pack is coming January 12th, when can we expect new tracks?

Iirc there is suppose to be a car pack every month.

Drastic said:
Yeah it's true. It's much more playable (people are more cautious) but still very disappointing considering how many of us requested NO assists. No Sim should use ABS and braking line, I feel this is just ridiculous.

Also, I had no idea how much this was abused until the leaderboards came out yesterday - most of the top times are using the line!! No wonder I am constantly outbraked in expert. With 2 assists for braking, it's more difficult for me to be competitive. Of course I could always turn these on, but they're cheats to me and it kills the realism. That's not why I bought this game.

Could we PLEASE have a sim-only option with no AB, ABS, STM, TCS, or Line? I don't see why that would be asking too much, since that's how racing is done in the real world?

Dont forget a toggle for the active steering.

ExtraKr1spy said:
458 Italia is awesome. A bit of understeer with Race tires but putting on the stock tires and lowering the front tire pressure 28-29 psi helped. Still a little bit of understeer but closer to neutral.

I'm loving the 458 as well. I'm having a small issue braking properly with it, but I haven't gotten the full weight reduction for it. Hoping that fixes it. I also noticed the slight understeer so I'll try out your suggestions. Thanks!

G Rom

Does anybody have problem accessing their photos, like I've already described ?!
It's taking me more than 30 seconds to bring them up. The thing is, the game loads your photos when you save one so that's more than 30 seconds each time ! :(

Son of Godzilla said:
Biggest problem is the $!%@#ing install. The loading takes forever and a half, but I can't install the main game because I don't have room for two games installed on my HDD and this is totally secondary game for me and goddammit it takes up enough space with the second disc already and I don't even have enough room for the Japanese car pack or the free DLC shit that it came with.

Frakking 20gbs...

You're not missing out on anything. Even with the first disc installed, the game is still slow as fuck. If anything, its actually slower (loading "my designs" takes 30 secs now as opposed to like ... instantaneous before the disc installation? =/ )

Gek54 said:
Iirc there is suppose to be a car pack every month.

Then wheres the November DLC?
Hyundai? Touche :p

qirex99

Banned
T Ghost said:
You're not getting it Che. The problem is NOT that you don't make money racing. The problem is that the speed that you make money racing is too slow. You have to race over 40 hours to make 1.5~2 million. And that can get you half a dozen of full upgraded hot cars. So to have a respectable garage of say 150~200 cars you would have to race what, 1,000 hours? This is too much. Not all of us can dedicate 1,000 hours to gaming not to mention to a single game. Not even talking about having all cars.

Too many cars are too expensive. It's cute that their credits price is somewhat a resemblance of what they cost in real life but it's not being fun to have to race for 2 months to buy 2 cars. And about the AH, I'm sorry but I feel that it's a time sink to buy anything there by auction and I simply don't enjoy the experience. The very few times I bought something there in FM3 was on buyouts and even that was a money save it still didn't brought the price down too much to resolve the "problem".

Please understand that I don't mean to hate at all, I've been and still am a huge fan of the franchise since 2005, pre-order every game and even bought the strategy guide on FM1 and FM3 just for the sake of collecting anything Forza. But I'm just frustrated that it is sooooo hard to get all of my favorite cars in this game (not all of the 400 cars, just my favorites!) that the experience is not being fun anymore.

No dude...YOURE not getting it. When you're the artist/creator/developer YOU execute YOUR creative vision.

Otherwise, you're just a little man in a tin hat am cry...

Not to hate, but seriously, THEY put a lot of time and thought into it - WHY do YOU think that you're even qualified to make it any different.

After you design your own product, market it successfully and sell a bunch of units (its tuff - trust me!) - then you can talk. Until then, keep playing somebody else's work.

ShapeGSX

FunnyBunny said:
If another car pack is coming January 12th, when can we expect new tracks?

I'm not sure we will see new tracks. It came with more tracks than I've ever seen in a racing game.

Dan Greenawalt said in a video interview that track packs are something they will have to think about, but that car DLC is a must. He also said that Forza 2 definitely needed more tracks, which is why they put in the effort.

The difference in the amount of work that has to go into a track vs a car pack is huge. And are enough people going to buy the track to make it pay for itself?

SmokyDave

qirex99 said:
After you design your own product, market it successfully and sell a bunch of units (its tuff - trust me!) - then you can talk. Until then, keep playing somebody else's work.
Does this go for game reviewers too?

Does it extend to any criticism of any game?

qirex99 said:
No dude...YOURE not getting it. When you're the artist/creator/developer YOU execute YOUR creative vision.

Not to hate, but seriously, THEY put a lot of time and thought into it - WHY do YOU think that you're even qualified to make it any different.

Does one have to be a cook to criticize food?

qirex99

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Does this go for game reviewers too?

Does it extend to any criticism of any game?

lol, nahh...journalists have a different job to do. (sell ad space and make [somewhat] objective coments, whilst still selling ad space]

its just a sensitive subject for me - I've had some customers/clients in the past that you simply try everything to please them - just to realize that they really DONT want to be pleased. They'll be full of empty suggestions yet never become - "buyers".

Hence, we just need to accept that there are some out there that will never be pleased.

T10 has delivered in such a huge way. Yet, there will always be ppl who are dissatisfied. the nature of life is such that those looking for pain will always find it and those seeking pleasure will have it TOO!

Know who you are and be counted!

GuessWho

qirex99 said:

:lol :lol

qirex99

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Does one have to be a cook to criticize food?

pretty much!

Imagine if your wife/gf spent hours cooking you a meal, then you trash it - yet you cant even toast the bread...

what does that make you?

- Tin hat man!

I'm not saying you cant criticize, just know how stupid you look if you have no skill. Hence the monday AM QB situation. Imagine a bunch of fatasses complaining re: why so and so couldnt play better..

Jube3

G Rom said:
Does anybody have problem accessing their photos, like I've already described ?!
It's taking me more than 30 seconds to bring them up. The thing is, the game loads your photos when you save one so that's more than 30 seconds each time ! :(

Once you break over to around 250 pictures the slow downs gonna hit. I didnt have this program until I started doing photostitching, clearing unwanted photos down fixed this. This also happens with designs and vinyls.

This thread is turning into fm general discussions.

LCfiner

qirex99 said:

what kind of bullshit is this? another one of those "you can't be a critic unless you make something yourself" posts?

just... ugh. I hate this POV. constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable when someone uses a product or experiences a game or whatever. you don't need to make your own damn game/movie/song to have an opinion as to how you would like it changed.

It's not as if the creator needs to act on all criticism but rejecting the comments outright simply because the critic hasn't made their own game is completely wrong.

I am still racing on the circuits and enjoying them, if they were to add a new circuit this soon after release then I would be overwhelmed :p

Because online point to point racing is set to ANY CLASS I have yet to race more then a few times around the nurb and other large circuits. Only time I have touched them so far is doing some single player racing on them.

ShapeGSX said:
I'm not sure we will see new tracks. It came with more tracks than I've ever seen in a racing game.

Dan Greenawalt said in a video interview that track packs are something they will have to think about, but that car DLC is a must. He also said that Forza 2 definitely needed more tracks, which is why they put in the effort.

The difference in the amount of work that has to go into a track vs a car pack is huge. And are enough people going to buy the track to make it pay for itself?

Ah, I skipped Forza 1 and 2 and didn't know they came up short in tracks. I love the track selection in F3, I just worry that another month of nonstop racing will leave the environments feeling a little 'stale' by the time the third car pack hits.

Hell, I'd settle for one new track every three or four car packs.

G Rom

That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.
If I go by your logic qirex99, one must be an ace in every thing he criticize.
Boy, your world must be boring if you don't give any opinion other than where you're the best !:lol

Anyway, about the tracks. Why don't we get a Forza 1 tracks pack ? I wouldn't mind seeing Alpine Ring, Tokyo and Rio again. Those tracks wouldn't need accurate mesures as they're fictional so that means no travel (could use the data/photos from PGR4 for Tokyo if Microsoft owns them). They could import the models from Forza 1 and start from here by updating textures and models. :D

Another thing that would be less money-consuming is different time of day, even if it's static. It would be a nice change and like adding new tracks as driving by night sure is a different. The most difficult thing would be to make the lights working on all 400+ cars as the tracks would just be rebaked textures and shadows.

Oh god... so I finally managed to finish somewhere other than last.

Playing with a wheel is going to take a LOT of getting used to. :lol

T Ghost

qirex99 said:

You're right. I should shut-the-f-up because in the end, I'm no more than that little type of person that is just the reason why every single one who worked so hard in this and any other game have a paycheck everyweek, how do the call my types? Yes, I'm just a low PAYING CUSTOMER!

What was i thinking when I decided that I have any right to do any constructive criticism????

Arucardo

Psychotext said:
Oh god... so I finally managed to finish somewhere other than last.

Playing with a wheel is going to take a LOT of getting used to. :lol
Keeping traction with the R class cars is HARD with pedals :lol I caved in and switched on traction control for one of the R2 championship races with the Köenigsegg.

G Rom

While the Köenigsegg is fun do drive for it's wildness, it's also pretty much deadly. Ah, the Nurburgring R2 series, so many frightening memories with my unrestricted CCGT (especially the fast bumpy part leading up to the Karusel) !:lol
For R2, I would highly recommend saving up for the F50 GT. This thing flies through curbs !

T Ghost

Arucardo said:
Keeping traction with the R class cars is HARD with pedals :lol I caved in and switched on traction control for one of the R2 championship races with the Köenigsegg.
Try to decrease the rear differential for acceleration and work gear ratios towards less acceleration. In FM2 I tuned the R1s to use only 4 gears and it made wonders to the "problem" of controlling the accelerator at the turn exit. Beware tough because in tracks with loooooong stretches like the ring you will lose serious final top speed.

OK I have had enough of the online racing fuck up now, PI is broken & AWD is overpowered, fucking shit dominant S5 and '08 vipers are so fucking broken that the driver can win with his eyes closed.

Before you jump in and say those cars are good in real life, the PI is not supose to level out cars for an equal race, no? because it's fucking broken and shit, so so shit forza 2 was less broken then this method.

I'm going to fight my way through single player to get those 6 years done, maybe race for all gold and that's it, so fucking god damn broken it makes me upset that nothing gets done about it, oh and that the expert hopper, limited to A class, allows a fucking racing line and optional ABS, why bother at all, why.

*edit* it might be hard to balance 400+ cars to be equal in all areas but more needs to be taken into account, the CPU drives shit and brakes early but a real driver does not so these things are not registered in the PI.

They need to have one for factory spec cars. change the car each day to keep it fresh. allow assists except the braking line. even if someone was using assists and someone else wasn't the cars are all even so the drivers skill will play a bigger factor.

Haven't played online yet but I hate most of the AWD cars cause they understeer.

Spasm

SmokyDave said:
More like... If you paid for more treasures in Uncharted 2, and they automatically showed up in your collection, that would be a bit silly, wouldn't it? Isn't searching for them the fun part?

I see both sides of the debate, but I'm leaning more towards T10's side (for once).

Top Bottom