• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Zhuk

Banned
The photomode compression sucks and shouldn't be occurring in a AAA title released by a company like Microsoft who wastes shitloads of bandwith anyway and with data costs way cheaper for companies than when Forza 2 was released it really seems unnecessary in this day and age to have such a degree of compression.

Shaneus

Slayer-33 said:
What I am saying is that the pics are not 100kb's like before, look at the full screen ones not 100kbs

300+

Check BlinkGT's
Ah, thought you were talking about the others. AFAIK I think BlinkGT has a capture card. Pretty sure the black border is to compensate for overscan on HDMI (or whatever) output is from the 360.

DarkJC

So everyone getting their copies of Forza of course made me want to get my time trial on, so I booted up the demo and hopped in the Ferrari California in hotlap mode. Achieved a time in the top 1% with all assists off and manual shifting via controller, I feel accomplished :lol

The sounds of the Ferrari California are just awesome in this game.

Shawsie64

Banned
My local EB games just called saying its ready for me to pick up! oh yeah :D

EDIT: Australia BTW so other stores might be selling it too...

Hawk SE

Just 6 (just about 5) days left until release.

Just finished my full pre-order for LE today. Now gotta take a pic of my receipts and send that e-mail

dejay

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
My local EB games just called saying its ready for me to pick up! oh yeah :D

EDIT: Australia BTW so other stores might be selling it too...

Just got a call from GAME, saying I can pick mine up (Campbelltown, Sydney).

Works out well, I was just on the way home from work and due to my work schedule over the next two days I wouldn't have been able to pick it up until Saturday afternoone. Looks like the release date is officially broken here.

Lothars

M0dus I think your ZOE car is beautiful , I look forward to getting it once I get the game :) It's insanely detailed and really impressive but so are all of your cars.

Lucius86

Banned
I dont have Forza yet....BUT.....

My GT is Lucius86 - I wouldn't mind a few FR from you guys here so when I finally get the game, I can go wheel to wheel with you all :D

acm2000

2mgvy3r.jpg

lets play a game, guess which driver had TCS disabled? :lol

the perfect drift...

Shaneus

Does anyone know what the story is with the lightening bolt R8? The place I bought it from in Aus. (JB) said it was a pre-order bonus but didn't get any redeemable codes for it, just the two regular pack-in ones with the LE.

Iknos

antiquegamer said:
I don't think it is so much the developing side of MS as the bean counter side that is the culprit when it comes to cost cutting and such.

To me they all sit under the "publisher" umbrella. They're the guys looking at profitability and maximizing margins.

user_nat said:
The MS wheel isn't that bad, for the price.

It's almost good.

ElNino said:
The MS wheel certainly isn't perfect, but I wouldn't say that it's below average unless you are comparing it directly to something like the G25.

I'm comparing it to the DFP which was available at that time for the same price. Nevermind that many of these MS wheels are built off center and have a large deadzone...the design of it left a lot to be desired.

Don't need to look at the G25 to note that the MS wheel has a poor clamp design. That it has a poor bearing that results in a wheel that doesn't sit snugly into it's main chassis.

I don't want to debate the wheel here because it will derail the thread. My point is that MS as a company should have had some standards. 270 vs 900 degrees steering is one thing...and that is balanced out by the fact that it's wireless and also has rumble. My point has to do more with a shoddy design and build at an expensive price.

The lap functionality was obviously a big point for the guys at MS who thought that a wheel should be made. But with the way it was designed it comes at the cost of wheel stability when on tables.

That plastic lap adapter should have been a removable part so that users can have both without sacrificing another. Simple and obvious solution for those who have used wheels but not for the engineer/designer who is out of touch with the needs of racing fans.

Not slagging the wheel itself as much as I'm slagging MS as a company and publisher. I know this isn't the thread to do it but it's frustrating to see a great game from a talented developer being restricted in quite a few ways. Nevermind photomode...MS hasn't given gamers many options to play this game in it's full glory with a clutch+shifter wheel. THANK GOD for Fanatec!

chico

is it true, that you cant create your own multiplayer races in Forza3? no custom lobby? only automatic matchmaking? plain stupid decision if its true....

acm2000

Iknos said:
moan moan moan

the wheel was not designed for the hardcore pc sim crowd, it was designed for joe average gamer, and for that, its perfect for the price, can play on your lap, or on a desk, mine was never off center, and never had any problems with it at all, so dont act like its EVERY wheel with the problem, i had so much fun with it, but its not meant to compete with the g25 etc

chico said:
is it true, that you cant create your own multiplayer races in Forza3? no custom lobby? only automatic matchmaking? plain stupid decision if its true....

i played multi last night with a friend, set up my own race, invited him too it, just me and him and 6 ai cars

che: why no option to set the ai cars to automatically drive cars same grade as your own? :/

AMUSIX

chico said:
You can absolutely create your own races...with so many options its ridiculous.

Also, I completed my first tuning project. A 'perfect' Class C Savanna RX-7. I tune for racing, so hopefully it'll stand out on the marketplace among the dozens of drift tunes, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I think I'm going to start focusing on tuning classic cars. Would be nice to have a Class A E-type (though getting it under control will be a bit of a bitch). Or a Class S '69 Charger.

Iknos

acm2000 said:
the wheel was not designed for the hardcore pc sim crowd, it was designed for joe average gamer, and for that, its perfect for the price, can play on your lap, or on a desk, mine was never off center, and never had any problems with it at all, so dont act like its EVERY wheel with the problem, i had so much fun with it, but its not meant to compete with the g25 etc

The DFP is not a hardcore sim wheel either. I've already said that I'm not even comparing it to the G25...I'm comparing it to the DFP. DFP.

Which tells us that we are being ripped off if we are paying anything more than $50 for it.

Dina

Man, the launch of FM3 could not have come at a more shitty time. Next week I'm supposed to be studying, and the week after that I have two big tests. Hopefully I can still pickup my preorder on monday though.

dejay

Banned
Don't know if it's a fluke or if it's indicative of sales, but there were two people in front of me picking up LCEs of FM3 when I went in to get mine tonight.

Gowans

Right the Mrs is going out tonight, hopefully I can get the baba to sleep and play some serious online.

Looking forward to checking out the VIP cars and the downloadable track.

Can't wait for some races with you guys, we just need a group gamertag or a online match up thread at the least.

Milpool

One of mine:
ru4944.jpg

Many hours are going to be spent on this TT, I love all the air time on the first half of the track.

Forgive the blandness of the shot, there's no way to aim the camera when using a wheel is there?

TofuEater

Couple of things:

1) no replay in free play mode in split screen wtf :(

2) noticed in replay other cars dont have interior view, only yours lol

Abrath 500 omg :D

Gowans007 said:
Right the Mrs is going out tonight, hopefully I can get the baba to sleep and play some serious online.

Looking forward to checking out the VIP cars and the downloadable track.

Can't wait for some races with you guys, we just need a group gamertag or a online match up thread at the least.

Definately up for gathering some tags.
Will hang back until a thread is created to avoid any rule or something.

eso76

installed disc 1 - installed disc 2

free race

Picked a metallic blue ferrari 430 - picked nurburgring...30 seconds in i had to abandon race to answer the phone.

Came back and saw the cpu driving my car in nice replay cams...i had to watch the entire lap on the ring.

Holy shit the game does look photoreal/gorgeous at times, someone should capture a video to use in the 'other' comparison thread, because the game really can hold its own at times.

I thought after trying it at BB last week i couldn't be impressed, but fm3 can look like 10 different games; i've seen every video on the web but i had never seen the game looking so realistic.

Also, using hdmi and 1080i on a 720p panel gets rid of any aliasing issue i had with the demo. The one thing T10 should get rid of at this point is the blurred rims, i really hope they somehow patch those out.

I must have played for 4 straight hours yesterday night, so if you have questions.. :)

Code:
2) noticed in replay other cars dont have interior view, only yours lol

yeah, this happened in the demo (and in Prologue) too, so had to be expected.

Speaking of the 500 Abarth i have no idea what wrong upgrades/setups i used but that thing will be on two wheels as soon as i turn the steering wheel and will happily roll over several times if i don't countersteer right away.
It's great fun actually, there should be an option to force multiplayer using the exact same upgrades and setup to see everyone rolling at each turn :D

Got my LCE yesterday (thanks Blockbuster), played the first season, chose the Fiesta as I have a 2005 model (before this new shape), got it up to an S class now which is pretty ridiculous, about 560bhp iirc from 114, the benchmark was stating about 197mph top speed - Just quick upgrade and upgrades from the store, no tuning as that is hella confusing. My knowledge of cars is limited to "I drive one" and I like racing games and I pick cars I like the look of, i.e I'm never racing that Fiat 500 turd mobile) Liking this much more than the demo so far I'm pleased to say, I was slightly hesitant as I was trying too hard to play the demo like PGR.

My GAF tagged Fiesta (thanks Jube): [Hopefully this is showing up, my FF refuses to show that image in the post, but will show it in IE]

1z5rkab.jpg

Gowans

One thing I haven't checked yet that I was thinking about is

What's the deal when you remove parts from your car to take part in a limited event.
Does your car remain that way or revert back to a monster after the event?

acm2000

eso76 said:
Speaking of the 500 Abarth i have no idea what wrong upgrades/setups i used but that thing will be on two wheels as soon as i turn the steering wheel and will happily roll over several times if i don't countersteer right away.
It's great fun actually, there should be an option to force multiplayer using the exact same upgrades and setup to see everyone rolling at each turn :D

:lol make a video and upload to the forza site, stat!

Gowans007 said:
One thing I haven't checked yet that I was thinking about is

What's the deal when you remove parts from your car to take part in a limited event.
Does your car remain that way or revert back to a monster after the event?
It sticks that way, just be sure to save a setup of the monster build and apply that again afterwards.

Gowans

One more quick question I have is about the LE codes.

I've held off entering them as I have two 360's I'm guessing it's like any other DLC where I can use enter it on my livingroom 360 for use with any profile and the download it on my games room 360 for use with my profile when signed onto live.

Yup?

acm2000

so looking at the videos

720p, 30fps, VC-1, 128k WMA audio

yet they stuck the screenshots at something silly like 50% jpg compression? :lol

now if only turn10 made video editor DLC

Arucardo

Shaneus said:
Does anyone know what the story is with the lightening bolt R8? The place I bought it from in Aus. (JB) said it was a pre-order bonus but didn't get any redeemable codes for it, just the two regular pack-in ones with the LE.
The store I ordered it from sent me the code for that R8 by email.

eso76

acm2000 said:
:lol make a video and upload to the forza site, stat!

Oh yeah. At work now, but will do tonight :D

I hope my slow connection doesn't keep me from uploading vids; i would really like to do some epic videoclip using my premiere & after effects skillz.

BlinkGT

Shaneus said:
Ah, thought you were talking about the others. AFAIK I think BlinkGT has a capture card. Pretty sure the black border is to compensate for overscan on HDMI (or whatever) output is from the 360.
Nop, all my shots come from FM.net, without any improvement (just added the black border, a simple personal touch).

Gowans

Gowans007 said:
One more quick question I have is about the LE codes.

I've held off entering them as I have two 360's I'm guessing it's like any other DLC where I can use enter it on my livingroom 360 for use with any profile and the download it on my games room 360 for use with my profile when signed onto live.

Yup?
Anyone have an answer on this?

I'm a little confused as VIP is tied to your account yeah? but if it works like any old DLC then it could be easily rigged as any old account could sign on to a console that has the DLC & VIP code and get that VIP flag.

?

If VIP did NOT apply to your gamer tag and only your console it would be so damn stupid, Bungie pro is by gamertag right? why would this be any different?

Gowans

Diablohead said:
If VIP did NOT apply to your gamer tag and only your console it would be so damn stupid, Bungie pro is by gamertag right? why would this be any different?
yeah.

It's just with it being a code, I normally enter everything on my living room 360 then re-dl it in my gaming room. I would be gutted it there is any weirdness in how the DLC is applied.

Cars on console & VIP on account is fine with me just want to check before I enter the codes in.

aberckmans

Neo Member
I just can't wait for this game (live in EU so if lucky will find a copy today or it'll be for tomorrow latest) and got crazy and ordered a Fanatec Wheel (911 Turbo S) with the wheel stand.

The trouble is that they only told me that it'll be delivered in November, not very precise... Any idea from any of you who already have one as to when I can expect it to arrive?

Also, did I do good in getting one of these wheels? See a lot of G25 love but mot as much Fanatec love (though there is just no contest from a purely "look" aspect, the Porsche wheel looks awesome!)...

aberckmans

Neo Member
Psychotext said:
Yes... yes you did.

Best wheel out there at the mo, and multiplatform to boot. The major problem with it is that it's bloody expensive.

You got that straight! But, hey, I got the dough so wth, might as well go with the fancy wheel.

And thanks for the reply, I feel better now...

blanky

Keikoku said:
I bought two liveries and I can't use them. I have a little padlock in the livery menu just in front of them...

You can only apply them to the car for which you bought them and you cant modify them. None can be modified. Everything is locked.

Top Bottom