• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Shawsie64 said:
SWEEET! shower us with pics and videos to make tomorrow come faster! :D

The day after, the day after, the day after, the day after, the day after tomorrow for some of us. :(

Seriously though, the FM.net integration looks to be insane. Really cool how they tied everything together.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Quickie before bed: :D

4033608910_bc404dc06b_o.jpg

frontieruk

anyone had any luck playing the video back in XP?

Also Youtube can't re-encode the vids, any other sites that are game friendly (was going to try vimeo but they aren't happy about gaming vids)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The compression on these pics just kills me, man.

I've got the beautiful Focus on my screen now in screensaver mode... then I see a screenshot from FM.net and just wanna gauge my own eyes out. :lol

Animaniac

Has anyone received their order today from JB Hi Fi's online store in Australia? My friend is getting a little anxious here waiting for the postie. :D

frontieruk

Che any plans on on talking to youtube about sorting uploading these videos there? as youy can see from an earlier post of mine they are unable to convert them.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
frontieruk said:
Che any plans on on talking to youtube about sorting uploading these videos there? as youy can see from an earlier post of mine they are unable to convert them.

Youtube can't host the exported WMVs? I thought I already saw some online?

And we're looking into that issue you emailed about but can't get a repro.

Jube3

chespace said:
Youtube can't host the exported WMVs? I thought I already saw some online?

And we're looking into that issue you emailed about but can't get a repro.

Yea I just tried uploading one and it said conversion failed at the end. Whats wierd I tried converting it myself and it gave me an error too. But the video plays just fine. Ill try Vimeo.

chespace

Recoil said:
To be honest, I see no reason I should -- but feel free to give me one.

Well, how about this: That's the way photomode pics look right now. After we get through holiday launch period and have some solid server and bandwidth numbers, we'll look into what we can do to improve the quality. In the meantime, play the game, take some pics, and save them to your HDD?

Chrange

Banned
frontieruk said:
anyone had any luck playing the video back in XP?

Also Youtube can't re-encode the vids, any other sites that are game friendly (was going to try vimeo but they aren't happy about gaming vids)

Wipido?

Shaneus

chespace said:
Well, how about this: That's the way photomode pics look right now. After we get through holiday launch period and have some solid server and bandwidth numbers, we'll look into what we can do to improve the quality. In the meantime, play the game, take some pics, and save them to your HDD?
Having not played it yet, is it possible that if there is another way to work out the photo mode issue, that already-saved photos on the 360 can be re-uploaded? I'd assume that it works in a similar fashion to PGR4 whereby you can take a photo and THEN choose to upload it to the servers (where the compression would then take place).

Personally, I'm not incredibly jazzed about the issue *right now* as it looks like MS/T10 are certainly looking into it, but I would be disappointed if I take one awesome photo and find that there's only one chance of uploading it to the FM3 site.

frontieruk

Shaneus said:
Having not played it yet, is it possible that if there is another way to work out the photo mode issue, that already-saved photos on the 360 can be re-uploaded? I'd assume that it works in a similar fashion to PGR4 whereby you can take a photo and THEN choose to upload it to the servers (where the compression would then take place).

Personally, I'm not incredibly jazzed about the issue *right now* as it looks like MS/T10 are certainly looking into it, but I would be disappointed if I take one awesome photo and find that there's only one chance of uploading it to the FM3 site.

you can re upload them, you can only have one video up at a time and iit gets removed after 24hrs

chespace

m0dus said:
got a couple more ViP cars for you, che dawg.

Send 'em over!

Also, we're preparing some paperwork for you, jube, and our MVP painters at FM.net. :D

BlinkGT

7b808326b7a0c4aad4e1fe88e32113b5f3ca0220.jpeg

a1cf8794bd4bd11f74939073b40dcc2533730784.jpeg

85624e71f6f5a0ffae0768c06dd62e02d39803da.jpeg

Seem good for me, i was stressed by the compression but i think it's pretty good, waiting for an improvement if possible.

Awesome game, really, 4am and i'm still on. My eyes are crying.

Iknos

chespace said:
Go easy on the compression guys. Go easy. :lol

Enjoy the game.

:lol It's a tall order but I'll try.

If the game sells like crazy it means that we'll probably not see any improvement because bandwidth usage would be off the hook.

I do plan showing off pics of the game to my friends and I want to take some stylish photos but it's other than showing off to my friends it's not a big part of what I plan to do with FM3. It's just disappointing to see anything that is capable of quite a bit but then that is stymied by penny pinchers that are completely seperate from the game's development. You'd think that MS as a publisher would have a bit more pride and would invest a tiny bit more into something like this.

I've never had faith in MS as a publisher after I saw the bonus DVD that came with the Gears of War LE. The way the MS people were asking Blezinksi to remove the chainsaw gun despite him knowing it would have been a success just makes me think MS doesn't know a lot about games in general. The below average MS Wheel is evidence to me that there are people at MS's entertainment division that are out of touch with what consumers want. It should have been a DFP equivalent at the very least.

Sorry for going off tangent.

BlinkGT said:
Seem good for me, i was stressed by the compression but i think it's pretty good, waiting for an improvement if possible.

It's better than the batch that came out last week or so because those files were a bit larger in size but the pics were quite blurry looking. These are smaller and don't look as bad...but don't look great either when compared to what the game is capable of with all of the promo shots released prior.

What I don't understand is all the compression evident in those pics but they are 300-500kb in size.

chespace

m0dus said:
Y . . . yay?

also, I wanted to let you know--you know I've been out of the Microsoft MVP program for, like 2 years, right ;-)

Yeah, I'm not talking about the official MVP program. I just call folks MVPs cuz you guys do good work.

And yes, if we want to incorporate your cars into VIP member giveaways, I need to make it "official" with some... paperwork. I'll hit you up tomorrow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
chespace said:
Yeah, I'm not talking about the official MVP program. I just call folks MVPs cuz you guys do good work.

And yes, if we want to incorporate your cars into VIP member giveaways, I need to make it "official" with some... paperwork. I'll hit you up tomorrow.

moneyhats.

dejay

Banned
m0dus said:
FINALLY get to post some pics. Consider these a preview of the Livery/Photomode thread (which I am working on currently, and should be ready in a couple of days):

IMAGES

Those shots look like Matchbox cars in dioramas to me for some reason, particularly the last car. I think it's because the depth of field is very narrow in those pics, reminiscent of macro shots. Whatever, I like the effect.

Shaneus

dejay said:
Those shots look like Matchbox cars in dioramas to me for some reason, particularly the last car. I think it's because the depth of field is very narrow in those pics, reminiscent of macro shots. Whatever, I like the effect.
I really like that effect too... now if only there was a way to enable that during replays so it's like racing Matchbox cars around :lol

Iknos said:
:lol It's a tall order but I'll try.

I've never had faith in MS as a publisher after I saw the bonus DVD that came with the Gears of War LE. The way the MS people were asking Blezinksi to remove the chainsaw gun despite him knowing it would have been a success just makes me think MS doesn't know a lot about games in general. The below average MS Wheel is evidence to me that there are people at MS's entertainment division that are out of touch with what consumers want. It should have been a DFP equivalent at the very least.

I don't think it is so much the developing side of MS as the bean counter side that is the culprit when it comes to cost cutting and such.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Iknos said:
The below average MS Wheel is evidence to me that there are people at MS's entertainment division that are out of touch with what consumers want. It should have been a DFP equivalent at the very least.

The MS wheel isn't that bad, for the price.

It's almost good.

DJ_Lae

Reading this thread is painful, as it makes the wait until next week so, so hard.

So hard I caved and bought myself Race On so I'd have something to do until then.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
user_nat said:
The MS wheel isn't that bad, for the price.

It's almost good.
Many reviews so far have called the MS Wheel "surprisingly good" with Forza 3 specifically. Nothing close to a Fanatec obviously, but at least there's one game it's a decent option with.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn you modus damn you..

Oh shit did the compression get jacked up to 350ish kbs? :lol

Look at the filesizes on this page.

Love the tilt shift pics, m0dus. Are you getting that amount of DoF straight out of the in-game photo editor? If so, wow.

Also BlinkGT's Shelby Cobra pic above is seriously hot.

ElNino

Iknos said:
The below average MS Wheel is evidence to me that there are people at MS's entertainment division that are out of touch with what consumers want. It should have been a DFP equivalent at the very least.
The MS wheel certainly isn't perfect, but I wouldn't say that it's below average unless you are comparing it directly to something like the G25.

Shaneus

Slayer-33 said:
Damn you modus damn you..

Oh shit did the compression get jacked up to 350ish kbs? :lol

Look at the filesizes on this page.
Forza 3 photomode outputs at 720p... nearly all of modus' pics have been reduced in size to minimise compression artifacts, then had minimal compression applied to the final pic.

dejay

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Many reviews so far have called the MS Wheel "surprisingly good" with Forza 3 specifically. Nothing close to a Fanatec obviously, but at least there's one game it's a decent option with.

The MS wheel shines with FM3, and I found it average for most other games. No, it's not a high end wheel, but I found myself having a lot of fun in the demo, with the amount of control and feedback from the wheel very good.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Shaneus said:
Forza 3 photomode outputs at 720p... nearly all of modus' pics have been reduced in size to minimise compression artifacts, then had minimal compression applied to the final pic.

What I am saying is that the pics are not 100kb's like before, look at the full screen ones not 100kbs

300+

Check BlinkGT's

Top Bottom