• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

acm2000 said:
sorting office strike today, postie strike tomorrow
Where is that red angry smiley when you need it...

About exporting video, does the user get any control over the replay speed like slow motion using the triggers or anything for the exported footage?

ElNino

ryencool said:
Direct quote from Europen player on Forza Forums

"That's it, plus: it seems thers' no circuit race under A class ...anyway i could not find E or C racing yesterday .. so i didn't play online ....at all "

Awesome, so instead of racing online he turned his xbox off, awesome.
Matchmaking needs a large enough player base to work well, so lets wait until at leat next weekend when everyone has the opportunity to buy the game before jumping to conclusions.

As for this specific incident, if he only wanted to play E or C class and no one was already, then he would have had the same issue in Forza 2's system as well.

p3tran

Banned
Diablohead said:
About exporting video, does the user get any control over the replay speed like slow motion using the triggers or anything for the exported footage?
you get to set the speed of each replay take with a full 1-100% slider before export starts.

Jube3

m0dus said:
Couldn't resist the allure of the tongue? I was thinking about tackling it, but I won't be home until this evening. lemme know if you can't, and maybe I'll have a go.

Also, as a general rule (for any who care), I refuse to accept paypal monies for designs, btw.

Nah im just really bored today. If you want to do it though go for it. And yea I dont think getting cash for designs is legal lol.

skyfinch

eso76 said:
installed disc 1 - installed disc 2

free race

Picked a metallic blue ferrari 430 - picked nurburgring...30 seconds in i had to abandon race to answer the phone.

Came back and saw the cpu driving my car in nice replay cams...i had to watch the entire lap on the ring.

Holy shit the game does look photoreal/gorgeous at times, someone should capture a video to use in the 'other' comparison thread, because the game really can hold its own at times.

I thought after trying it at BB last week i couldn't be impressed, but fm3 can look like 10 different games; i've seen every video on the web but i had never seen the game looking so realistic.

Also, using hdmi and 1080i on a 720p panel gets rid of any aliasing issue i had with the demo. The one thing T10 should get rid of at this point is the blurred rims, i really hope they somehow patch those out.

I must have played for 4 straight hours yesterday night, so if you have questions.. :)

Code:
2) noticed in replay other cars dont have interior view, only yours lol

yeah, this happened in the demo (and in Prologue) too, so had to be expected.

That "other" thread just faded. I'm guess they're all playing Foza 3 now.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
m0dus said:
Also, as a general rule (for any who care), I refuse to accept paypal monies for designs, btw.

Wanna keep everything under the table to avoid the tax man? Gotcha. Ok, well I just mailed you the money for the Wolverine car.

sneaky77

Jube3 said:
Nah im just really bored today. If you want to do it though go for it. And yea I dont think getting cash for designs is legal lol.

Well i dont see what would make it illegal.. you're being contracted for a job lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
nofi said:
I remember way back when some people were moaning about F3's lighting.

It's godly.

Nothing against FM3's lighting, but that pic is not great. It looks like a close pic of a matchbox car with lots of DOF. What part of that do you think is "godly", the shadow?

Jube3

sneaky77 said:
Well i dont see what would make it illegal.. you're being contracted for a job lol

Maybe if it was for an original design, but making money off of marvel and capcoms art can get you into some trouble methinks lol. You're stepping into MMO gold farmer territory there too, with the "being paid for time" or something lol.

HoTHiTTeR

Can anyone suggest some ideas for a practical wheel stand that isnt DIY or professionally made? I saw some guys on youtube using like fold up sawhorses as a wheel stand. I just need something wide enough but that folds up.

Magni

The game is great so far, achievements are a bit easy, and it took me a while to find the Time Trials section, but other than that, great work T10 =)

It feels so weird to be in the top 50 on some leaderboards :lol

Che:
LFA for DLC? :D

Mohonky

Is it just me or are the visuals better in single player? Started out playing multiplayer and thought the visuals were a step back to the demo confusingly, then played my first few races in singleplayer and it just seemed to look better.

Or maybe it was just that some tracks are better looking than others I dunno but there definitely seemed to me, to be some sort of difference.

Also, holy fuck at the physics, unbelievable

From the forza site:

Direct uploaded to fm.net shot:
zr1atthenurb800.jpg

Digital Camera shot of tv screen:
zr1.jpg

Pretty self explanatory.

I'm gonna try that method myself when i get the game.

erahk64

eso76 said:
Currently no one has one, except a few beta testers.
There's people who ordered the wheel in January still waiting for their 911 to be delivered :D

Fanatec has finally sent the first batch -those ordered before june- on tuesday, though and people should start getting their wheels on monday.
Second batch is being built right now and should start being dispatched next week, but those will be sent by boat from China (i wonder what happened to fine Germaneering ?) and God knows how long that will take.

Actually, do any of you have an idea how long it takes China to Europe by boat ?

According to info at www.911wheel.com, all open orders will be shipped in october and
it will take about 4-6 weeks to ship them from China to Europe by boat, 3-4 weeks from China to US.

R0nn

Currently banned user PjotrStroganov requested I post the following on his behalf, just to clear up some misunderstandings about the online options from Forza 3, since he's been playing online for a while now:

/start of message
------------------------
Quick Race: Track playlist without class restriction. Result: Everybody chooses R1.
Circuit race: R1, R2, R3, S and A classes have their own playlist.
Drag: S RWD, S AWD and Any Class.
Road Racing: Road Track rotation without restrictions.
Drift: No Restrictions.

So no option to filter on classes below A. It also seems inconsistent to include class filters in only some of the race types. There is also no option to filter on assists. It's a free for all.
------------------------
/end of message

Just to chime in myself on the game: I started yesterday and am currently halfway through the second season on the calendar. I'm loving it so far. The game is crazily addicting right off the bat, due to the fact that you're constantly treated to new tracks and new cars. There's hardly any downtime, and the season play seems to have been setup in such a way that there's always some event available for any of the cars you currently have. They still offer the option for an event in which you can try out a new car though.

I like how the game takes you by the hand at the start. I don't really need it, but I can imagine that it's really great for those novice players with little to no experience with these kinds of games. The initial handholding never gets in your way anyway.

The quality of this product truly shines through in everything. Especially the presentation. It's all very slick and classy, much better than in the previous game. Yeah, it's derivative of Gran Turismo's style a great deal, but it doesn't really matter much. It works great and it all fits together perfectly.

The storefront is another addicting part of the game. I could browse in there for a few hours easily just to check out and rate some designs, liveries, replays or photos, or buy a couple of cool vinyl groups. Just browsing around feels great and before you know it you've already invested a couple tenthousand credits on new stuff, which you might end up not even using. :lol

Graphics are a bit hit and miss, but overall look great. The game has a very clean look to it, cars models look very convincing, the framerate is buttery smooth and some tracks have very beautiful backdrops. There are some clear jaggies here and there though, as well as some occasional rather low res texture work, but you wont notice most of that while racing. I stand by my initial demo impression that the game looks quite a bit better than Forza 2.

I don't really like the long load times. You can aleviate some of it by installing the game, but that will only partly solve the problem. Something else I don't like, is the way some of the cars are ordered by PI. The Enzo for example, is rated as a R3 car, which just feels wrong. I mean, it's a street legal production car, so it should be S. There are a couple other street legals which are rated in the same way, as well as some racing models which are rated as S.

Also, for some odd reason the Gallardo is rated higher than the Murcielago, which is weird. I can understand the Gallardo having better handling, but the Murcielago should still be the clear superior performer if you ask me. So yeah, I don't know what the deal is with those cars, but I think Turn 10 should look into it and tweak that stuff.

Anyway, the actual racing is simply great in this game, which is by far the most important aspect. You can really feel what the car is doing, how it is traveling along the road, how it crosses every bump, and how it enters every corner. It's all so natural, so smooth, so exhilerating! I love how you can bottom out in this game, and how you can actually hear the bottom of the car hitting the road after a jump. There are also sparks flying off the cars when you rub an opponent. And even though the crash physics might look a bit wonky at times, you can crash really hard and rough in this game, with your car literally lifting off the ground for a bit after a frontal collision.

Another strong point and clear improvement over Forza 2, is the AI. They react much better to what you are doing. They give you more space when you pass them in a corner or when you overtake them on the straight, but they also manage to put up a decent fight by constantly blocking you off while you're looking for an opening. Mistakes are made as well, and it seems to happen more often while they try to overtake you, or while you are pressing them hard for a while. There's still the occassional quirk, but overall the AI comes off surprisingly humanlike.

Yeah, it's a great game up to now, and everything I had hoped for beforehand. Possibly even more than that. :D

blanky

HoTHiTTeR said:
Ah nice. Thanks for clarifying, I wonder what you can tune to X class then...

Well the R classes for example allow you to take off the restrictor, so that's one way to go into the X Class.

HoTHiTTeR

blanky said:
Well the R classes for example allow you to take off the restrictor, so that's one way to go into the X Class.

Yup, but my R3 BMW never left R3 class after a upgrade/tune. I'm just wondering if we can push a R1 into X class.

R0nn said:
Quick Race: Track playlist without class restriction. Result: Everybody chooses R1.

Oh, that's a bit disappointing. I had expected much more class-specific playlists. Maybe something like PGR3 had, with playlists that rotate through the classes daily.

KHarvey16

+1 to the bodycount. Doing a point-to-point on the ring and the game froze. Manually restart only to be greeted by the other, less fun kind of ring. Amazed it lasted this long to be honest! It'll live again though, soon as the UPS man brings me the hardware I need to fix it.

Flo_Evans

R0nn said:
Currently banned user PjotrStroganov requested I post the following on his behalf, just to clear up some misunderstandings about the online options from Forza 3, since he's been playing online for a while now:

/start of message
------------------------

So no option to filter on classes below A. It also seems inconsistent to include class filters in only some of the race types. There is also no option to filter on assists. It's a free for all.
------------------------
/end of message

Whaaa? So we are going to have to find people we know to have a good D, C, or B class race? that kind of blows!

Iknos

eso76 said:
I must have played for 4 straight hours yesterday night, so if you have questions.. :)

I asked this last week but at the time people were playing more than posting. :)

Those with the game: Can you set up Tokyo Xtreme Racing sort of rules in the multiplayer? TXR used a "health bar" sort of setup and I don't expect that...but say a setup where if 2 people were racing and the race was over if one person was ahead of the other by 10 seconds. That means if both players are neck and neck the race could last a long time...but end immediately if someone makes a mistake.

I'm not asking for a health bar or anything like in TXR. More like a "end race if opponent is ahead by X seconds".

Another question that isn't a huge concern just curious...

To those playing the game: does dirt accumulate on the car when you drive many laps like it did with FM2?

amar212 said:
I have to say I agree with this guy because giving just ONE NEW OPTION - Hardcore Public - would solve so many problems for many drivers.

It worked as magic in COD4, Hardcore is still the most playable mode, 2 years after game was published.

FM3 Public Hardcore all the way, you have my NeoGaf vote here.

T10 said they would take great community made modes and turn them into Hoppers. A "Hardcore" mode would likely be one of the first new Hoppers considering that there are people that want it and like you said they may find it to be one of the most played.

ryancool: Rather than posting a petition I would go to FM.net and post about it there. I'm sure T10 would check it out. I don't know if it's possible to search for lobbies in FM3...if not it would take a lot more changes to implement what you want.

5 days remaining.

Keikoku

Banned
rocksteady1983 said:
From the forza site:

Direct uploaded to fm.net shot:
zr1atthenurb800.jpg

Digital Camera shot of tv screen:
zr1.jpg

Pretty self explanatory.

I'm gonna try that method myself when i get the game.

Fuck you for posting ZR01 pics. :(

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BrokenSymmetry said:
Oh, that's a bit disappointing. I had expected much more class-specific playlists. Maybe something like PGR3 had, with playlists that rotate through the classes daily.

We'll be updating multiplayer hopper playlists and rules constantly. The game isn't even out in the U.S. yet. Give it a little time. :D

ryencool

Iknos said:
I asked this last week but at the time people were playing more than posting. :)

I'm not asking for a health bar or anything like in TXR. More like a "end race if opponent is ahead by X seconds".

Another question that isn't a huge concern just curious...

T10 said they would take great community made modes and turn them into Hoppers. A "Hardcore" mode would likely be one of the first new Hoppers considering that there are people that want it and like you said they may find it to be one of the most played.

ryancool: Rather than posting a petition I would go to FM.net and post about it there. I'm sure T10 would check it out. I don't know if it's possible to search for lobbies in FM3...if not it would take a lot more changes to implement what you want.

5 days remaining.

I do understand what you are saying. I am trying to do this while being very civil and just raising my concerns. It was posted on the turn10 forums but it was locked. Also Che responds way more here than he does there. Secondly a hardcore setting in the playlist isn't enough with a game containing this much customization. Its not as simple as

A class, full sim all assists off
B class, dull sim, all assists off

and so forth.

What if you want A class, less the 350hp, no rear wheel drive, and braking lines on? settings like this are so obscure that pulling from a public list from around the world, as opposed to the limited list of people on your friends list would be A LOT BETTER.

Its just ridiculous. Again I will still be buying and enjoying the game, just disappointed as this is a major disappointment with regards to how I and many (fixed ;) ) others play the game.

As if the next 5 days couldn't be any more unbearable, I now have to slog through all the spectacular photos people are posting, both here and at FM.net. Following and contributing to all the various photomode threads is going to be such a treat. :D

My only complaint regarding the photos, (yes here it comes), is the goddamn
lack of Enzo pics

Top Bottom