• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

guest1321

Hey anyone who has the speed wheel and had microsoft old wireless wheel. How do they compare?
I remember hearing the the old microsoft wheels were great to go with for an inexpensive racing wheel.

guest1321 said:
Hey anyone who has the speed wheel and had microsoft old wireless wheel. How dot hey compare?
I remember hearing the the old microsoft wheels were great to go with for an inexpensive racing wheel.
Force Feed Back to none its not a fair comparison, now comparing it to a non FF wheel would be fair game. But the general opinion seems to be Wheel>Speed Wheel>controller>>>>>>>>>>>>Kinect(on the dark side of the moon)

Doodis

Another attempt to change the subject from the last few pages:

I've driven quite a few more laps with the speed wheel since posting my original impressions, and it really is so much more immersive than a controller. There's something really great about driving in cockpit view and seeing the hands/wheel on screen make the same subtle movements as your hands/wheel in front of you.

I'm still not quite to the level of accuracy/control that I normally have with a controller, but I think that just comes down to years of practice with the controller vs. a couple hours with the wheel.

Even if I don't reach that same level of accuracy, I still prefer the wheel. There's just something about it that makes you feel like you're driving a real car at above-average speeds, and that with the slightest wrong turn, you could send yourself careening off the track. It's just a much more realistic experience.

I imagine it would be even more so with a real wheel setup, but the speed wheel gets halfway there for those of us with less money/space.

luffeN

Xanadu said:
i was only joking man lol

ahh good, yea try it with simulation steering on, apparently its MUCH better than 3 from what we've heard
I played with Braking: ABS ON, Stability Control: ON, Traction Control: ON, Steering: Simulation.

I played with an Xbox controller, so I don't know if you were expecting a wheel. Compared to Steering: Normal, it felt easier? I will upload a video. Maybe if you ask the right questions you can get the information you want? All I can say is that I like the driving and that you have to be careful with the settings above. Oh, and don't expect a good quality video, it's only 640x480, 30 fps and shot with a digi cam ;)

soundscream said:
Force Feed Back to none its not a fair comparison, now comparing it to a non FF wheel would be fair game. But the general opinion seems to be Wheel>Speed Wheel>controller>>>>>>>>>>>>Kinect(on the dark side of the moon)

After playing with a controller and a wheel setup I'd go more

Wheel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whateverelsedoesn'tmatter

I am surprised how well the Speed Wheel is getting previewed in this thread. I always wonder what it is being compared to. Or if it's new purchase happiness. I'm usually impressed with new stuff myself and that makes it hard for me to judge things right off the bat.

Doodis said:
Another attempt to change the subject from the last few pages:

I've driven quite a few more laps with the speed wheel since posting my original impressions, and it really is so much more immersive than a controller. There's something really great about driving in cockpit view and seeing the hands/wheel on screen make the same subtle movements as your hands/wheel in front of you.

I'm still not quite to the level of accuracy/control that I normally have with a controller, but I think that just comes down to years of practice with the controller vs. a couple hours with the wheel.

Even if I don't reach that same level of accuracy, I still prefer the wheel. There's just something about it that makes you feel like you're driving a real car at above-average speeds, and that with the slightest wrong turn, you could send yourself careening off the track. It's just a much more realistic experience.

I imagine it would be even more so with a real wheel setup, but the speed wheel gets halfway there for those of us with less money/space.
I want to get one because after a long day at work I dont always feel like sitting in my racing setup, and It seems to be better then a controller. I wonder if kmart has it yet I have a $20 coupon from buying gears 3.

Mascot

soundscream said:
@Mascot

We need Saladine to confirm whether those were what he meant...

Xanadu

Banned
Yoritomo said:
So do I... Although it might have less impact when it says 97 tour on the back of my sepultura shirt. My wife keeps wanting me to toss them out since they're full of holes... but they're also full of memories :(
lol yea, i can see myself loving metal until i die

still waiting for 60fps direct feed vids!

luffeN

Mascot said:
Can you please check if the Ferrari is the 458 or the 599? Thanks!
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia, 2011 Subaru WRX STI and 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator.

Edit: There are more cars in the Rivals mode.

Cars: Pagani Zonda C, BMW F10 M5, Ferrari 458 (again)

U2NUMB

soundscream said:
I want to get one because after a long day at work I dont always feel like sitting in my racing setup, and It seems to be better then a controller. I wonder if kmart has it yet I have a $20 coupon from buying gears 3.

I really enjoy it so far. It is hard to describe how little you really do have to move it to make it work. Again I had the impression before looking into it that it was a wii like add on. But you can have it sit on your lap similar to a controller.. sit back (or lean in for those intense races) and just cruise around the track.

I wish it had a headphone jack.. my only big complaint at this point.

But I would certainly put my wheel in place if I had time. So this speed wheel will be when I do not have time to go through the whole setup of the wheel and just want to do a few laps. It has pretty much replaced my controller for those quick racing sessions if that makes sense.

shinnn

luffeN said:
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia, 2011 Subaru WRX STI and 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator.
Is the tunnel layout in the demo?
How did you get the demo? What are you waiting to put it on the internet? =p

edit: replay mode, photomode?

luffeN

shinnn said:
Is the tunnel layout in the demo?
How did you get the demo? What are you waiting to put it on the internet? =p
Press got some keys for early playing. And I would really like to upload but my box is not modded :/

Edit: Nope and nope. Autovista is also not available. But you can look around the car in the garage xD

Doodis

flyinpiranha said:
I am surprised how well the Speed Wheel is getting previewed in this thread. I always wonder what it is being compared to. Or if it's new purchase happiness.
Well, I must confess that I've not played with a real wheel setup, so my reviews are just being compared to the controller. I assume that this wheel is in no way comparable to a true wheel setup, but again, for me, the speed wheel is much more immersive than using a controller.

I won't say that it's better, because like I said, I'm still more accurate with the controller, and maybe for some people that's more important. But I find myself preferring immersion over accuracy at this point. Plus, I assume the accuracy will come with more practice.

Xanadu

Banned
luffeN said:
I played with Braking: ABS ON, Stability Control: ON, Traction Control: ON, Steering: Simulation.

I played with an Xbox controller, so I don't know if you were expecting a wheel. Compared to Steering: Normal, it felt easier? I will upload a video. Maybe if you ask the right questions you can get the information you want? All I can say is that I like the driving and that you have to be careful with the settings above. Oh, and don't expect a good quality video, it's only 640x480, 30 fps and shot with a digi cam ;)
can you please try an R1 car with all assists off? would love to know how difficult they are to drive

shinnn

luffeN said:
Press got some keys for early playing. And I would really like to upload but my box is not modded :/

Edit: Nope and nope. Autovista is also not available. But you can look around the car in the garage xD
You don't need a xbox modded. Just a USB pen drive and one PC.
Could you upload it if I send you a PM with instructions? What's the demo size?

luffeN

Xanadu said:
can you please try an R1 car with all assists off? would love to know how difficult they are to drive
Sorry for the question, but do you mean like the Ferrari or the Zonda with R1 car? :p

The track for Rivals mode is mirrored, so you get "two" tracks in the demo ;)

shinnn said:
You don't need a xbox modded. Just a USB pen drive and one PC.
Could you upload it if I send you a PM with instructions? What's the demo size?
Demo size was 1.8 GB and I would love to if my upload speed was back to normal :( I normally have 1 MB/s up (YES MEGABYTE for all those "people can't tell the difference between Mpbs and MB" ;) ) but now I am stuck with 140 KB/s :(

EDIT: Ah okey, it's the class of the car. The Zonda is R3.

Xanadu

Banned
luffeN said:
Sorry for the question, but do you mean like the Ferrari or the Zonda with R1 car? :p

The track for Rivals mode is mirrored, so you get "two" tracks in the demo ;)

Demo size was 1.8 GB and I would love to if my upload speed was back to normal :( I normally have 1 MB/s up (YES MEGABYTE for all those "people can't tell the difference between Mpbs and MB" ;) ) but now I am stuck with 140 KB/s :(
ahh, the zonda will do fine thanks

statham

I am so buying the speed wheel. biggest problem for me was setting up a tv tray, plugging every wire in and making sure the peddles didn't move. speedwheel sounds perfect for quick afterwork gaming. wish it was cheaper tho.

shinnn

luffeN said:
lol 1.8gb.. Yeah.. too much. Thanks by the way.

So driving all the three cars you got the same layout? There was a different layout for the 599GTO in the E3 demo.

guest1321 said:
Hey anyone who has the speed wheel and had microsoft old wireless wheel. How do they compare?
Put it this way, if what you really want is a wheel, buy a wheel. If you want a better, more involving controller, buy a speed wheel.

A ffb wheel/pedal set is just a different beast. It's meant to approximate real life. It does a fairly decent job of that too. Nothing beats it for immersion, and control. There are draw backs though like space, cost and convenience. The speed wheel is an AWESOME controller. Absolutely brilliant compared to a standard controller. It's not however a good "wheel" if you must make a comparison. No pedals, no force feedback, it's hard to put them on the same plane. It's just a different experience.

I will say this, there's no way anyone would be disappointed with the speed wheel as a controller. It's a game changer. The official wheel, while completely usable, isn't going to make you feel quite as giddy with your purchase. You'll be pricing a Fanatec in no time ;-)

luffeN

Xanadu said:
ahh, the zonda will do fine thanks

Holy crap XD You cannot just put the pedal to the metal and take off. Wheel spin and all crazy kinds of things. You have to accelerate carefully.

Too fast into a corner and it feels like you aren't able to steer anymore, felt great. There are already 30 people playing it as I could see on the leaderboards. You can change your rival (ghost car from the other player) too. Rival races also have restriction. The Zonda one says "MODEL must be Pagani Zonda C. STOCK ONLY"

shinnn said:
lol 1.8gb.. Yeah.. too much. Thanks by the way.

So driving all the three cars you got the same layout? There was a different layout for the 599GTO in the E3 demo.
What do you mean with layout?

watership said:
You're fast. I had xbox.com open for the code and when I refreshed twitter, it poped up, ctl-c, ctl-v. code has already been used!

Haha, same. I think that one might be different as the ones from MN are supposed to be private messages. Maybe that's what he won?

@majornelson
Larry Hryb
Free Code Friday is now over....time to randomly choose winners

*crosses fingers*

watership said:
Perhaps the demo impressions should be a new thread? What do you guys think?

New threads for new news.

@majornelson
Larry Hryb
#Winners @Grecco @blondesnotbombs @Tommyman99 @Woozle316 @Tranceplant - Check your DM’s you won early access to the Forza 4 demo

Bleh, lame. Well, at least I'll get to finish Deus Ex this weekend haha.

saladine1 said:
I never win shit!!!

Congratz! I think after a good long Friday of playing the game you should start the Official Demo Impressions thread so I have something to look forward to come Saturday morning.

I expect nothing less!

Top Bottom