• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

nofi

wmzAT.jpg

dejay

Banned
Just been playing some FM3 because I'm in the mood now and I needed some different races. All I can say is thank God New York isn't back.

Majanew

Banned
Been playing the demo...and while I love it, I'm still disappointed with the lighting. The racing has some slight black crush going on. I have a professionally calibrated HDTV and I wish Turn 10 would finally put a brightness/contrast/gamma option in the game. None of the other Forzas had it, so I doubt this one will either. All that IBL talk and I guess it's still the misuse of HDR that causes the contrast issues. Light scatters dammit, stop being so dark! lol

Mascot

Majanew said:
Been playing the demo...and while I love it, I'm still disappointed with the lighting. The racing has some slight black crush going on. I have a professionally calibrated HDTV and I wish Turn 10 would finally put a brightness/contrast/gamma option in the game. None of the other Forzas had it, so I doubt this one will either. All that IBL talk and I guess it's still the misuse of HDR that causes the contrast issues. Light scatters dammit, stop being so dark! lol
I've heard gamma is adjustable in the final game.

squared

-Amon- said:
Front negative camber caused by full suspension extension, cool.

Positive camber you mean ;)

Shaneus said:
Holy crap. I've just fired up FM3 for the first time in a bit, and... no preorder RX7 unicorn!!!

Panic stations.

I'm in the same boat as you.. what gives :/ When we send in our receipts etc, are we supposed to get some sort of confirmation aswell, or is it just in FM3?

Also, since I ordered online I have no physical receipt, so I just printscreened my receipt e-mail, than added my GT in the pic with Photoshop.. did I do it right?

Majanew

Banned
And another personal complaint lol...I wish they'd put some of the car's engine's sound in the subwoofer. I have a 5.1 setup and the cars still don't have a good low end in their sound thanks to the sub basically not even being used.

Mohonky

Who posted the handling being similar to Forza 3? No way is that true. This game has a huge amount of improvement in the handling, particularly with all driving aids off. You could feel the front end push of the STi going into a corner, it felt perfectly weighted, likewise the rear end getting a little leary in the 458 when changing direction too quickly at high speed. The handling felt excellent, very rewarding, dont thinki have ever had my yoes curled overin a racing game before from the intensity.

The ruts in the road, surface and curbs all really altered the way the car felt bonded to the road. Very impressive.

Visuals, not so much. Dunno ho old this build is, but something still looks off. Looks way better tnan the previous titles but i wasnt exactly floored. Game has some obvious jaggies. Notabad looking game, and up thereas either the best or damn near close to the best of any console racer but i think we're getting to the point where you cant expect to be utterly blown away on this aging hardware.

Definitelylooking to be abrilliant title though.

eso76

Majanew said:
That's good to hear. The game would look so much better brightened up.

yeah, slayer confirmed this. Thankfully the retail version has gamma-brightness setup, game needs it BADLY, it will look a hundred times better without crushed blacks.

Ty4on

acm2000 said:
down hill i assume, porsche wont lift from grip
Isn't that easier with Porsche/Rufs with the heavy engine in the rear giving the rear tires grip and making the front lighter?

ShapeGSX

Majanew said:
And another personal complaint lol...I wish they'd put some of the car's engine's sound in the subwoofer. I have a 5.1 setup and the cars still don't have a good low end in their sound thanks to the sub basically not even being used.

The full game is supposed to have an LFE option according to the Under The Hood series.

My butt kickers are ready.

Mohonky said:
Visuals, not so much. Dunno ho old this build is, but something still looks off. Looks way better tnan the previous titles but i wasnt exactly floored. Game has some obvious jaggies. Notabad looking game, and up thereas either the best or damn near close to the best of any console racer but i think we're getting to the point where you cant expect to be utterly blown away on this aging hardware.

Definitelylooking to be abrilliant title though.
There is only so much you can do when maintaining 60fps perfectly like this game will.

p3tran

Banned
Ty4on said:
Isn't that easier with Porsche/Rufs with the heavy engine in the rear giving the rear tires grip and making the front lighter?
you can see from the background that its going downhill

ShapeGSX

Ty4on said:

A Porsche doing a wheelie in real life is not unheard of because of the weight behind the rear axle.

p3tran

Banned
BruiserBear said:
There is only so much you can do when maintaining 60fps perfectly like this game will.
yeah, the hell with old hardware!!!

instead of buying the sme console 3-5 times, I prefer to get some NEW h/w.

Both forza and gt hold more assets and more capacity to do stuff than what this old fuckin hardware allows!

fuck you bill gates, fuck you sony whoever!!

Majanew

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
The full game is supposed to have an LFE option according to the Under The Hood series.

My butt kickers are ready.
Sweet. Hopefully, that adds some low end. Looks like the retail version might just allow me to adjust some options and get rid of my two minor complaints. The handling, framerate is top notch. The AI still slammed into me while I was sitting still looking at the graphics, but no biggie.

p3tran

Banned
Xanadu said:
i think i may have a 1 month lying around somewhere but i cant find it lol
xanadu looks like you are not meant to play forza :D
I suspect that your 360 is about to die as soon as you find a way to get to live

Xanadu

Banned
p3tran said:
xanadu looks like you are not meant to play forza :D
I suspect that your 360 is about to die as soon as you find a way to get to live
that would be the fourth time my 360 would die so i dont doubt it lol

Wonko_C

Hopefully in the final game we can customize the music the way GT5 does, I want to be able to select which tracks to play individually and in what situation: menus, racing, replays, etc.

I just don't want to have to mute Lance Hayes' awesome menu music just because I hated the racing music like in F3. :(

saladine1

Majanew said:
Sweet. Hopefully, that adds some low end. Looks like the retail version might just allow me to adjust some options and get rid of my two minor complaints. The handling, framerate is top notch. The AI still slammed into me while I was sitting still looking at the graphics, but no biggie.
Yep, I remember reading that people with subs are in for a treat.

Although, a nice pair of headphones really pick up stuff that otherwise are lost in an open setup. I use a pair of Sennheisers and crank that shit up. Small things like gravel kick up, can be heard very clearly. Also, turbo spools, BOV's, transmission effects...ect can be heard very distinctly as seperate entities yet working in unison.
I'm that crazy about my sounds that i've had my ears bleed literally from running the volume high while racing in the FM3 Radical for hours on end. Admittedly, i've lowered the volume since then as it wasn't a nice feeling...you know with the busted ear drums and blood and shit....

nofi

saladine1 said:
Yep, I remember reading that people with subs are in for a treat.

Although, a nice pair of headphones really pick up stuff that otherwise are lost in an open setup. I use a pair of Sennheisers and crank that shit up. Small things like gravel kick up, can be heard very clearly. Also, turbo spools, BOV's, transmission effects...ect can be heard very distinctly as seperate entities yet working in unison.
I'm that crazy about my sounds that i've had my ears bleed literally from running the volume high while racing in the FM3 Radical for hours on end. Admittedly, i've lowered the volume since then as it wasn't a nice feeling...you know with the busted ear drums and blood and shit....

Embargo is still up but I don't think I'm breaking anything by saying that the full game sounds great. You can emphasis 'car' or 'tyres' too in the audio mix.

madmackem

Played the demo now, first thing the iq on a biggish tv mines a 52" seems a bit meh with alot of jaggies etc and as many have said the gamma and brightness are off alot so i hope you can tweak it in the final game. Apart from that it looks good and plays good cant wait for the full game.

madmackem said:
Played the demo now, first thing the iq on a biggish tv mines a 52" seems a bit meh with alot of jaggies etc and as many have said the gamma and brightness are off alot so i hope you can tweak it in the final game. Apart from that it looks good and plays good cant wait for the full game.

tone down the sharpness maybe? on my set the game looks kinda grainy but jaggies are not an issue really (and I really hate jaggies)...
it's full 720p 2xmsaa @ 60fps, jaggies shouldn't be a big problem at all

Xanadu

Banned
i nerini del buio said:
tone down the sharpness maybe? on my set the game looks kinda grainy but jaggies are not an issue really (and I really hate jaggies)...
it's full 720p 2xmsaa @ 60fps, jaggies shouldn't be a big problem at all
2xAA at 1280x720 isnt very good at all actually, but i was surprised from the gameplay screens shown at the lack of jaggies

ACH1LL3US

H3rTz DoNuT said:
This will be good if you want to take your FM4 experience to the next level, works the best with the cockpit view :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcyTJy550U

But seriously, if you like calm music you should try this, used to listen to that painting in FM3, a few hours a day, every day and never got tired of it :D Not a classical music but pretty calm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYTBvanFmE&feature=related

Ryan Farish rocks!! love his music, first came across it on Pandora. Its great to listen to when driving in a real car too ;)

Xanadu said:
2xAA at 1280x720 isnt very good at all actually, but i was surprised from the gameplay screens shown at the lack of jaggies
1280x720 with 2xAA at solid 60 fps on 6 year old hardware with those cars and environments? I think that's okay.

Grassy

squared said:
Also, since I ordered online I have no physical receipt, so I just printscreened my receipt e-mail, than added my GT in the pic with Photoshop.. did I do it right?

This is what I did except I put my GT in the subject line and I got my RX7 a week later. That was 6 weeks ago though.

Xanadu

Banned
brotkasten said:
1280x720 with 2xAA at solid 60 fps on 6 year old hardware with those cars and environments? I think that's okay.
well yea i was just speaking in general, on PC even at 1080p 2x AA isnt enough to get rid of all aliasing 4x usually does the trick

derFeef

brotkasten said:
I set the xbox res to 1080i - looks a bit more blurred but the jaggies are greatly reduced compared to 1080p on my screen. I am still impressed by the demo. I think it will look great in dusk/dawn settings where jaggies do not jump out that much.

Biggzy

Xanadu said:
well yea i was just speaking in general, on PC even at 1080p 2x AA isnt enough to get rid of all aliasing 4x usually does the trick

Which is what I am hoping for the next gen of consoles to deliver for the majority of games.

With increasing environmental regulations, clogged motorways, safety restrictions and traffic cameras, the world of car enthusiasts is shrinking, its celebration more rare. “Forza Motorsport 4,” available exclusively on Xbox 360 on Oct. 11 in North America and Oct. 14 throughout Europe, provides a safe haven for car lovers and adrenaline seekers to challenge modern conventions and keep the fire of our car culture burning.

In the live action short film titled “Endangered Species,” Jeremy Clarkson, host of Top Gear – the popular BBC TV show – provides the narration for a tongue-in-cheek illustration of something many car lovers already know: that the real world is becoming an unfriendly place for those who truly love automobiles.

Taking place in the middle of a claustrophobic metropolis, the short film features edge-of-your-seat driving by world renowned stunt driver Martin Ivanov, whose credits include the “The Bourne Supremacy,” “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol,” “Quantum of Solace” and more. The film premiers today at TopGear.com and is one any automotive fan will not want to miss.
http://www.topgear.com/uk
Excite!

ACH1LL3US

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Finally got chance to play it, and OMG! Thats how a 458 Italia should sound like!

A Ferrari that actually sounds like a Ferrari, not a fuckin Honda.

Waiting for the full game just got that much harder ;_;

Yup, agreed. Got to play the demo at Best Buy, and boy their tvs are setup horribly!! Anyway, the sounds are ALOT better!

Top Bottom