• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the demo. Thankfully we only have to wait a week. I think the only thing I really found disappointing was the 30fps in the mirrors, but I can live with that.

MrOogieBoogie said:
Man, the background vistas (mountains and lakes and hills) look absolutely amazing. Probably the best scenery of any racing game.

Really? I was thoroughly unimpressed with the demo.

There were some really low poly looking backgrounds mixed with the good looking backdrops. The lake/water looked horrible. Like a can of spilled oil & not water effects that have progressed significantly in the past 4 years.

Very Jaggy looking compared to other 2xAA games. Reflection mapping on the cars might not be 60fps, couldn't really tell. The lighting was not impressive imo, even though it's supposedly been worked from the ground up for this game.

The Dirt, Project Gotham, Motorstorm series & other various racing games released this gen just flat out look more advanced than this.

Turn10 hasn't really took any initiatives in graphics other than 60fps.

FStop7

Banned
Demo is awesome. So many things in 4 have been fixed/improved vs. 3.

Even the damage looks a lot better.

With all assists off the cars are a proper handful.

And the engine/exhaust notes are a big leap ahead.

G Rom

See You Next Wednesday said:

There were some really low poly looking backgrounds mixed with the good looking backdrops. The lake/water looked horrible. Like a can of spilled oil & not water effects that have progressed significantly in the past 4 years.

Very Jaggy looking compared to other 2xAA games. Reflection mapping on the cars might not be 60fps, couldn't really tell. The lighting was not impressive imo, even though it's supposedly been worked from the ground up for this game.

The Dirt, Project Gotham, Motorstorm series & other various racing games released this gen just flat out look more advanced than this.

Turn10 hasn't really took any inititavies in graphics other than 60fps.

Ok, the bolded part was the final nail on the coffin for your post. Seriously ? Comparing 30 fps games to a 60 fps one ?

Anyway, they added back the ability to look around your car when upgrading aero/rims, it was pissing me off in FM3 that we couldn't do it.
Camino Viejo's backdrop at sunset really looks like Mordor IMO and I don't really like the changes as I previously stated. The road texture and fake motion blur coming with it looks better though.

dragonelite said:
No but 60 fps induces a slight blur if im not mistaken because your brain can't process the visual data fast enough. But i still notice a shitload of jaggies pc gamer for the last 3 months so yeah.
They could also be doing some sort of temporal AA which slightly shifts the pixels every other frame to reduce jaggies... would love to see a Eurogamer analysis on this.

this is the post of a person with no joy in his life.

basically this in internet post form.

Can you give us examples of how terrible it looked? You seem to understand what you are saying but I'd like to see examples. I played some DiRT 3 on my PS3 and played a ton of DiRT 2 on my 360 ... the environment doesn't look as good as what I saw in the demo of Forza 4. I also played a lot of PGR and it was a good looking game but nothing like this demo.

And Motorstorm? Not sure, played the first and second but not much because of the AI so I can't really compare but isn't it 30FPS?

But if you could point these inconsistencies out I'd like to see them. Even my non-gaming girlfriend was amazed by the vistas and how the game looked and she's watched me play GT5 and Forza 3 and who knows what other racing games all the time.

EDIT: Just noticed the "and other various racing games released this gen just flat out look more advanced than this" part ... you're wrong. Very, very wrong. I've played a multitude of these racing games on both the PS3 and 360 and I have no idea where you could come up with that statement.

kazinova

Rivals mode is a blast, and may just be the mode that gets people who don't play sim racers to give it a try.

There's somethign magical about marrying a great simulation model and an arcade game mode. It gives everyone something to like. I really hope this takes off on my friends list.

Speaking of; my gamertag is kazinova, I need some times to beat. (yes, even in the demo, I'm about to get dearly obsessed with this game)

guest1321

So epic! Flying around the Bernese Alps in Cougar trying to hold her steady. Such good fun! Simulation steering with the wireless wheel feels so freaking good! It was a little off with forza 3 but it blends in so well with 4. If you weren't sure about the speed wheel before, I absolutely recommend buying it or at least trying a friend on forza 4. WOW

AlanzTalon said:
this is the post of a person with no joy in his life.

basically this in internet post form.
Maybe so, but he did invent the word "inititavies" which I love because I want it to mean having the ambition to change one's skivvies.

I shouldn't talk. I don't proofread my posts and they're usually filled with mistakes.

Gowans

EteRnal_PAL said:
Great pics man. Accepted your friend request. Try to beat some of my Rivals times if you can. Hopefully we can get some races online later today.
Yeah will be on for a session in an hour.

Got a gaf club set up too, search for GAF

Ps some of your rivals times have been terminated already.

G Rom said:
Ok, the bolded part was the final nail on the coffin for your post. Seriously ? Comparing 30 fps games to a 60 fps one ?

Correction, they're 30fps with motion blur, which looks better than a jaggy 60fps.

Also the detail in the demo track was mostly the good looking backdrops, which could be 2D mixed in with low polygons & high texture. The game isn't a technical masterpiece.

BCD2 said:
Maybe so, but he did invent the word "inititavies" which I love because I want it to mean having the ambition to change one's skivvies.

lol I just noticed that, I stayed up extra late for the demo to finish & to get to play it. I didn't get much sleep as of now. :(

Gowans007 said:

I just noticed that on your My Forza page. Nice! Can't wait.

cbox

That doesn't take away from the fact it looks amazing... Halo's skyboxes weren't 3d either but they looked amazing.

Gowans007 said:

Damn, I won't be able to get on for another seven hours or so... work and stuff.

Anywho, will send a request to join the GAF club and work on beating the rival times as well. Absolutely love the Rivals mode, reminds me of Trials HD and how you try to beat your buddies' times, just with a lot more depth and better visual indicator with the ghost and all.

Wazzim

Banned
Played the demo.
Game's really good.
Now I'll go back to BF3 beta before realizing the wait is more than 1 week, a full week before I can play this awesomesauce :'(

G Rom said:
Anyway, they added back the ability to look around your car when upgrading aero/rims, it was pissing me off in FM3 that we couldn't do it.

Little tid bits like this are what I'm looking for at the mo.

Could someone tell me, how is photomode now, how far from the car can you go, I'm guessing it's the same as Forza 3 :(

Arucardo

I really really really, hope I get my LCE on the 14th so I don't have to wait for it over the weekend, that would suck so bad.

I only tried the demo on Sunday for about 30 minutes before leaving to go back to school but it was well beyond my expectations. The whole counter steer assist is unfortunate but the driving model still felt phenomenal for me, it's going to be hard to go back to play some more Forza 3 now. Best thing about the game coming out on the 14th is that I have a week long holiday after that :) .

Might get some XBL Gold time and try out the rivals mode next weekend just to see how the M5 and Zonda feel.

Iknos

Correction, they're 30fps with motion blur, which looks better than a jaggy 60fps.

Also the detail in the demo track was mostly the good looking backdrops, which could be 2D mixed in with low polygons & high texture. The game isn't a technical masterpiece.

lol I just noticed that, I stayed up extra late for the demo to finish & to get to play it. I didn't get much sleep as of now. :(
You are wrong about everything.

I don't have time to go over details so I'll leave it at that.

Re: steering assists sorry can't reply right now but wanted to say that I'll have to wait until the game comes out before coming to final conclusions. I don't think I'll buy the game though. And snubbers it is like an arcade game when you have to learn the particulars of how the game wants you to drive. I can play burnout after getting a feel of what the game wants me to do to do well. I get te same feeling here.

bj00rn_

Banned

Turn10 hasn't really took any initiatives in graphics other than 60fps.

Aaaaw, it warms my heart to read this..Because it feels great to not be you! I don't agree with anything you just wrote. But that's fine with me..

Anyway, just played the demo, and the game looks amazing now! It has a different feel, it looks sharp/nice AF (For 360) and a ton of contrast, just like I asked for after FM3. And actually, in my opinion it's overall the best looking 60 locked racer out there. Only thing I miss is a slight tint on the windshield.., heh. Oh, and I need a gamma adjustment in the options, because some of the blacks are slightly crushed on my plasma.

Oh, and the feel of the cars is better as well. I didn't bother setting up my wheel yet, but it felt better with the controller now.

(

Do you write this stuff yourself or do you have a team of writers working on this? What does this even mean; "2D mixed in with low polygons & high texture"? Can I get that on the rocks with a splash of lemon?

I don't care if you hate Forza, even say you don't like the looks .. but your comparisons are laughable.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It is suspiciously quiet in here today. O_O

5212071418_9c07dfd9e9_b.jpg

Demo:

Feels Great - Handling Wise.

Graphics are similar to Forza 3. There are Jaggies on Big Screen.

Vistas are beautiful.

The game's contrast is very out. They needs to fucking tweak it.

Best Part: In rivals you can go the wrong way and start smashing and wrecking beautiful calls.

Yoritomo

Alright. I'm over being pissed about the counter steering speed sensitivity thing for 900 degree wheels.

I need to pre-order 2 more copies.

What are the pre-rder bonuses for the US?

I already have the LCE pre-ordered from amazon. I need to pre-order 2 more copies and I might as well get more pre-order cars when I do so.

Top Bottom