• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Wonko_C

mr stroke said:
just played the demo and wow at the graphics. game looks really good.

is this running at 60 fps?

You can't actually tell it is running at 60? o_O Pre-race and post-race it runs at 30, also when you're looking at the cars it runs at 30, and the background is just a photo, it fooled me at first, though.

ghibli99

op_ivy said:
seems the mirrors are sometimes 60fps, depending on the course and/or track conditions (ie, number of ai opponents)
Cool... well, hopefully that all got smoothed out for launch. IINM, FM3's mirrors updated at 60, although they seemed squished horizontally.

Seanspeed

Banned
Xanadu said:
lol playing for forza 4 demo and playing 3 reminds me just how terrible foza 3s cockpit view is, like one of the worst ever
Gotta agree with you there. I was excited that they brought cockpit views in with Forza 3, but then never used them again after realizing they were so awful and lifeless.

The FOV and useability is as good as any cockpit view out there now. Cant wait to play around in some open-top cars.

ghibli99

Seanspeed said:
The FOV and useability is as good as any cockpit view out there now. Cant wait to play around in some open-top cars.
Definitely... I pop into cockpit view in FM3 just to see what it looks like, but then just as quickly go back to hood view. First thing I said to my wife when I tried this demo was, "Damn, cockpit mode is actually usable in this game!"

The demo was pretty good. Already it seems greatly superior to FM3. And the FOV isn't at all bad. In fact it looks like it's been reduced slightly from the Game Show demos I've seen. There's still a bit of warping going on but barely noticeable.
Cars sound great. The handling is excellent save for the assist that's still present in simulation mode. Ai settings seem good. With all assists off and using simulation handling I could get to first place within half a lap driving the 458 against medium AI. Against Hard AI I would only just win after two laps. Professional...well, yet to win!
Only downside was the game seemed a little jaggy, but that might have just been the circuit. FM4 is rendered at 1280x720, yes?
All in all I can't wait until next week!

shinnn

FM4 vs FM3 screenshots

All from hotlap, so looks like the game increases the AA in this mode.

http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/29328/Forza+3+vs+Forza+4/

forza3forza_258230b.jpg

forza3forza_258231b.jpg

forza3forza_258225b.jpg

forza3forza_258226b.jpg

The skyboxes looks better on FM3 :O

edit: actually they look all the same :(

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
hot laps on forza 4 use the full lod models? nice

dat ass

And even still the screenshots don't do the game justice IMO in game.

Looks way better imo, it's the commutative number of things that make it.

Seanspeed

Banned
ghibli99 said:
First thing I said to my wife when I tried this demo was, "Damn, cockpit mode is actually usable in this game!"
"Yea honey, thats great. When are you gonna take out the trash, though? For Christ's sake....."

Yeah, Forza 4 pleasantly surprised me how much better it looks graphically. Did not think the 360 would be capable of outputting graphics this good and keeping a solid 60 fps. Less than a week to go fellas, you will experience the greatness that is Forza 4.

EteRnal_PAL said:
Yeah, Forza 4 pleasantly surprised me how much better it looks graphically. Did not think the 360 would be capable of outputting graphics this good and keeping a solid 60 fps. Less than a week to go fellas, you will experience the greatness that is Forza 4.

I love that it's a locked in 60fps. So damn rare for any game or genre.

skyfinch

EteRnal_PAL said:

Gears 3 impressed the hell out of me. But there's something about 60fps that makes me feel all warm inside. Both games are equally impressive from a technical standpoint.

So apparently there is no flat paint option. Some cars (like that Maser) have that option when you buy them, but there is no actual option for flat/matte paint in the paint menu.

Ugh, why would they have that as certain stock paints but not actually available for all cars??

skyfinch said:
Gears 3 impressed the hell out of me. But there's something about 60fps that makes me feel all warm inside. Both games are equally impressive from a technical standpoint.
Me as well and I'm 100% in agreement with you about how amazing these two games look. Man, I got to get back on Gears 3 though, I was all about that game until I got my hands on Forza 4... haven't played Gears 3 for five days now :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
seriously man...

The industry need to strengthen the freaking tools and solve AA problem.

Jaggies make the games look like crap.
Xbox360 came out in 2005, bro. I'm sure they could have much better anti-aliasing if they reverted to 30fps, but thats not a trade-off worth making in a game like this. As it is, I'm supremely impressed by how good it looks considering the limitations.

No Xbox360 racer will ever look as good as GT5, but it can be damn close and yet far more fun at the same time and thats what matters to me.

Xun

Seanspeed said:
Xbox360 came out in 2005, bro. I'm sure they could have much better anti-aliasing if they reverted to 30fps, but thats not a trade-off worth making in a game like this. As it is, I'm supremely impressed by how good it looks considering the limitations.

No Xbox360 racer will ever look as good as GT5, but it can be damn close and yet far more fun at the same time and thats what matters to me.
It is technically possible in my opinion.

Both GT5 and Forza 4 are as equally as impressive as each other, it's just each have a different style going for them.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Xanadu said:
noticed the shadows are smoother too, is this all the time or only in hot laps?

i think its all the time, though screens posted from the final game show blocky shadows on ai cars

DasRaven

Apparently LCE buyers who also purchase the DLC Season Pass will be gifted 250,000 credits to make up for the duplication of the American Muscle DLC pack between the two.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/add-ons/forza-4-season-pass/95584
Q. What about LCE owners that will already have the American Muscle Car Pack included in their LCE?
A. LCE owners that are also Gold LIVE subscribers who purchase and redeem a Season Pass code in the first week of availability will also receive 250k in-game credits to be delivered through their game by Oct. 31, 2011 11:59PM PST.

Meh, I wanted the pre-order cars, but I guess this is a nice bonus too. But by the time they deliver the credits 10/31 I'm sure credits will be the last thing anyone needs.

Seanspeed said:

No. False. 360 can pump out equally impressive graphics as PS3, it's really up to the devs whether that happens or not. Forza 4 looks fantastic and is a huge technical accomplishment.

DasRaven said:
Cars only.
Unless they add in car only cheese mints it's not worth forking over for, cars only go so far...

Been thinking about the people who were sent green discs today, kind of bummed about it, how did they select such people and why? maybe I moaned too much about car dlc :p

cbox

Seanspeed said:

dude no, I personally don't give a shit - I play racing games to race. Owning both, GT5 can look astonishing, but most of the time it';s a mess. I mean, driving on some of the tracks is laughable, with the glaring texture repeating , inconsistent shadows, etc.

Let's keep this discussion to the other thread, not in here.

SarBear

DasRaven said:
Apparently LCE buyers who also purchase the DLC Season Pass will be gifted 250,000 credits to make up for the duplication of the American Muscle DLC pack between the two.

Meh, I wanted the pre-order cars, but I guess this is a nice bonus too. But by the time they deliver the credits 10/31 I'm sure credits will be the last thing anyone needs.

That's just fucking lame.

guest1321

DasRaven said:

WTF!?! This is BS solution to making the American Muscle DLC pack non LCE exclusive. The DLC pack was cool because I couldn't get it otherwise. I could honestly not give two shits about 250,000 credits. I want something that I could not otherwise have gotten. SMH

eek5

That's retarded. Give me all the preorder cars instead.

I'm assuming this means the muscle car pack isn't even a code that we can barter for other stuff. Terrible

eek5

Diablohead said:
Unless they add in car only cheese mints it's not worth forking over for, cars only go so far...

Been thinking about the people who were sent green discs today, kind of bummed about it, how did they select such people and why? maybe I moaned too much about car dlc :p
Trust me, you're not the only one that is bummed...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
How do I see all of my storefront uploads online :( I wanna post some pics lol

-edit m0dus that looks barbaric!

That skin looks like it was made for that car

There were so many fucking promotions going on with this game that I tuned it all out. The game comes out next week though, so I need to tune back in! I need to figure out what I'm buying.

The LCE and the Season Pass both have the American Muscle pack, is what I'm reading?

Big Takeover said:
The LCE and the Season Pass both have the American Muscle pack, is what I'm reading?
They class the american pack in the season pass as a "bonus" but it odes make you wonder how they could have done such a thing aka given the same pack out twice, did someone not say something in a meeting?

DasRaven

m0dus said:
Also, Neogaf livery (well, I guess its up to you guys to make it official) is complete, and this Trueno is now available in the car club. I'll take requests on which car it NEEDS to be on. Say a drag, drift, and race trifecta? Also we need people to tune them :p

I humbly suggest that the FM3 unicorn trio NEEDS to have the GAF livery. I'll be contributing the trio to the GAF club.
That also covers your drag(camaro), drift(RX7sA/S204), race(S204/RX7sA) trifecta fairly well.

I'll also be unicorn hunting from day1 until I have the rest of them. I'm a collector first, racer second.

witness

There's a neogaf car club? How do I join?

Oh God is it the 11th yet, I can't wait to get this game after work, glad I jumped on LCE when you could.

Diablohead said:
They class the american pack in the season pass as a "bonus" but it odes make you wonder how they could have done such a thing aka given the same pack out twice, did someone not say something in a meeting?
That is rather bizarre, isn't it? That does make my choice easier, thx.

Those liveries look insane!

DasRaven

Diablohead said:

Someone posted box shots either here or on FM.net and the LCE has a single card with multiple codes for the various DLC bonuses. So, I still think you'll be able to trade the "extra" American Muscle code if you want to.

Diablohead said:

Are you guys seriously complaining about free stuff you are getting? If they don't make Muscle car pack available people would bitch and complain that they are being screw over by T10 to buy shitty LC edition just to get some cars. I mean it's bonus, it's free, don't use it if you don't want it. Don't get the season pass if it's really going to get you into a frenzy.

antiquegamer said:
Are you guys seriously complaining about free stuff you are getting? If they don't make Muscle car pack available people would bitch and complain that they are being screw over by T10 to buy shitty LC edition just to get some cars. I mean it's bonus, it's free, don't use it if you don't want it. Don't get the season pass if it's really going to get you into a frenzy.
no because I don't want the season pass, i'm just saying what has happened.

As for "free stuff" I could post a bible long topic about current age dlc but I wont.

Top Bottom