• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

adelante

The wheels and exhaust could use some more reflective sheen... not white highlights but maybe a bright gray specularity detail..otherwise the improvements they've done to the overall lighting is impressive!!

Jube3 said:
original.aspx

We dropped 3 new images on our facebook page, two of the Type R and a new one of the BMW. The links under the image are in 1920x1080.
http://www.facebook.com/forzamotorsport
we better be exporting at this quality, turn10...

saladine1

Another problem for me with the tyres is that they are missing some detail in regards to side wall markings. At least put some branding,tyre decription on the tyres when we upgrade them..

FM3
7h1Ai.jpg

12wyY.jpg

SHIFT 2
JgC7k.jpg

GT5
TOzXE.jpg

jRHwy.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
Diablohead said:
we better be exporting at this quality, turn10...
if we could use memory sticks then it wouldnt be a problem but for some reason were not allowed, probably something to do with M$

Xanadu said:
if we could use memory sticks then it wouldnt be a problem but for some reason were not allowed, probably something to do with M$
When Forza 3 was developed, MS didn't allow USB sticks for storage of profiles, saves, games etc. Now that's not the case... so we'll just have to wait and see.

soundscream said:
Well since thats a civic its safe to say that its not an auto vista environment. So this is either a new track :) or a photo travel option like in GT5 :(

Haven't some non-Autovista models (like the pre-order cars) been shown in the Autovista enviroment already?

adelante

Psychotext said:
When Forza 3 was developed, MS didn't allow USB sticks for storage of profiles, saves, games etc. Now that's not the case... so we'll just have to wait and see.
But it's not like we could easily browse through our save files and what not on the 360 partition; pretty sure there's a reason why it appears as unreadable archives on your PC. Has there been any 360 game at all that allows us to export media directly to a USB storage device?

Mascot

Lingitiz said:
Good lord those backdrops are unreal....

Agreed. The detail is staggering. I hope there's the wide variety of 'home spaces' shown in the leaked video, though (I posted a series of screen-grabs several pages back) to keep things fresh.

It seems AutoVista might be limited to the white warehouse (based on current evidence) so a decent range of other environments to view the non-AV cars and take photographs would be really nice.

soundscream said:
Well since thats a civic its safe to say that its not an auto vista environment. So this is either a new track :) or a photo travel option like in GT5 :(
NO WAY the track while racing will look like that, not this gen, I would imagine that the textures there are designed to be viewed from only one area of the road, not drive anywhere and snap style.

turn10 did say this time there is more screensaver areas then forza 3 had, which was only 1.

benzy

Diablohead said:
NO WAY the track while racing will look like that, not this gen, I would imagine that the textures there are designed to be viewed from only one area of the road, not drive anywhere and snap style.

turn10 did say this time there is more screensaver areas then forza 3 had, which was only 1.

Isn't that backdrop just a bitmap? You can sort of see the cutout edges in this screen, not to mention the 3d grass looks completely videogame-ish compared to the realistic background.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...e3-2011-forza-4-screens-20110606114032161.jpg

It's very well done though.

adelante said:
But it's not like we could easily browse through our save files and what not on the 360 partition; pretty sure there's a reason why it appears as unreadable archives on your PC. Has there been any 360 game at all that allows us to export media directly to a USB storage device?

There are program where you can read and drop files on a 360 hdd let just say it was my way into the friends and family Gears 3 beta i had like 5 codes gave away 4 but couldn't wait. And that is how i copied over my data from my old 60 gig hdd which i modded with a old 250 gig one. So yeah let me have a bitmap save on hdd i will use a 16 gig hdd for that and read them on my pc.

bj00rn_

Banned
brotkasten said:
I don't want to be rude, but the car looks bad.

You know, I never claimed to be an expert on details (Despite my near four decades of gaming, which although has given me a certain inside way of looking at games), but your comment just blew my mind. I'm just gonna throw in the towel and give up now. So long and thanks for all the fish..

Anyway, that backdrop gives me certain feeling of "home"..

saladine1

Lol, they are going nuts over at the official forums:

Apparentely, the 'new' 2010 BMW M3 GT2 Art Car isn't actually new.
The actual car used is the..
"2009 Rahal Letterman ALMS BMW and just changed the livery thinking no one would notice..

x3zxZ.jpg

Ie0NG.jpg

Hgo5t.jpg

4Qd5M.jpg

Tail lights,bumper,side mirrors..etc

Xanadu

Banned
saladine1 said:

Apparentely, the 'new' 2010 BMW M3 GT2 Art Car isn't actually new.
The actual car used is the..

x3zxZ.jpg

Tail lights,bumper,side mirrors..etc
haha good old t10

bj00rn_ said:
You know, I never claimed to be an expert on details (Despite my near four decades of gaming, which although has given me a certain inside way of looking at games), but your comment just blew my mind. I'm just gonna throw in the towel and give up now. So long and thanks for all the fish..

Anyway, that backdrop gives me certain feeling of "home"..
you dont notice the wheels look really bad? like the those use the old reflections or something

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AlmostMilk said:
I do like lots of turns in tracks but when you cant get past 2nd gear in your car, it isn't that much fun. Both sidewinder and Rally de Positano are really crappy tracks.

you are a terrible person. take it back!

Seanspeed

Banned
saladine1 said:
Bit lazy of Turn 10, but I'm not really worried about it.

I think its funny, though, that the people there complaining about it are saying they are only doing it to HELP Turn 10 and to point out flaws to them so that they might fix it. As if Turn 10 really didn't know? I mean, if you're gonna complain just admit that you're complaining!

Xanadu

Banned
Diablohead said:
that bmw exhaust is annoying me now, it's too clean and the metal plate just looks untextured completely.
the exhaust also has no reflections, it looks really out of place

the tail-lights dont look right either

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the leguna seca comparison shows that the track itself looks 95% the same as F3 =(

and the 5% is the missing details such as the crowd. i guess Forza has always had terrific backdrops, but its a bit dissapointing that they environments themselves dont seem to be showing much improvements at all. hope i'm wrong.

Xanadu

Banned
op_ivy said:
the leguna seca comparison shows that the track itself looks 95% the same as F3 =(

and the 5% is the missing details such as the crowd. i guess Forza has always had terrific backdrops, but its a bit dissapointing that they environments themselves dont seem to be showing much improvements at all. hope i'm wrong.
the tracks are still the same as forza 2, except a few backdrop tweaks

saladine1

op_ivy said:

Well, let's not forget that this game was in the making for around 2 years or so. They've added and enhanced a lot. Even though I would love for an entire re work of the game, it's just about impossible for them to do so in that given time frame. If they had a few more years then sure, I would expect a lot more but as it stands now, it is what it is and kudos to Turn 10 for what they have achieved so far..

lord pie

Xanadu said:
i think you miss what we are saying, the model is fine but the lighting is very odd, especially around the wheels and tires

I think it looks fine. The actual car has very matte wheel rims, which they have recreated pretty well. The local occlusion is good, the lighting is good too with subtle blurred highlights from the sky - as you'd expect from a matte material.

The environment has no dominant light source - so there are few harsh highlights. Again, as you'd expect. As rubber isn't especially reflective, you'd only expect to see clear 'sheen' if there were dramatic differences in environmental contrast.

Xanadu

Banned
op_ivy said:
thanks. thats my point.
and did you know the in game models of cars in forza 3 (and probably 4) are using forza 1 models, with slight tweaks

lord pie said:
I think it looks fine. The actual car has very matte wheel rims, which they have recreated pretty well. The local occlusion is good, the lighting is good too with subtle blurred highlights from the sky - as you'd expect from a matte material.
ok but the tires are definitely not right, it just doesnt look very natural at all how the light on the tires is exactly the same all around, its too bright or something it just looks off to me

Mascot

Finished rigging up my Clubsport pedals to the Playseat this morning (which very nearly ended in disaster last night) and gave them a run out on FM3. Build quality and materials we know all about, but in actual use the pedals are also excellent: very smooth and very progressive with great feel, especially from the load cell on the brake. Everything is easily adjustable, too - pedal positions, spring strength, brake pressure etc. I thought the vibrating brake pedal would be a bit of a gimmick but you can set it to kick in when the wheels lock up or when ABS engages, adding another layer of feedback and immersion. It's actually pretty neat.

Nice to see the little exposed PCBs on the pedals are now enclosed in folded metal cubes to protect them - I was originally quite concerned about that detail and how fragile it appeared, so it's nice that Fanatech have addressed it (although it should never have made it into the original design anyway).

For those people here considering a set, you won't be disappointed. Chuffed to bits with mine.

Tested them out on the Nurburgring F1 track on F3, and while the added track texture and bumpiness on this circuit is a big improvement over the earlier FM3 tracks, I still feel it's nowhere near the levels it should be at. GT5 has ruined me in that regard: FM3 still feels very muted by comparison. I hope it's something Turn 10 are working on.

BTW, never noticed it before, but what happened to the sky box on the 'ring F1 track in FM3? It looks like they forgot to add it. The plain blue cloudless sky looks very PSOne, fugly as hell.

lord pie

Xanadu said:
ok but the tires are definitely not right, it just doesnt look very natural at all how the light on the tires is exactly the same all around, its too bright or something it just looks off to me

Maybe.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'all round' the tyre, if you mean from top to bottom, then yeah, it should be very uniform given the surface is mostly facing the same direction.

However, there still is quite a bit of variation in the lighting:
forza4_tyre.jpg

I appreciate you are trying to explain why you think it looks wrong. (I get irritated when people flatly say 'it looks crap' etc). Usually there are very good reasons why something does or doesn't look right - in this case, I don't think it's T10. Perhaps the tyres could be brighter - but overall I think they have done a bloody fantastic job here, and I've been very vocal in the lack of more physically accurate lighting in F3.

[edit]

On second thought,

There are two ways you can recreate lighting in a game - just hack about with it until it looks about right (the F3 way), or model things realistically right the way through (the F4 way).
Both have their pros and cons, but doing things in a physically accurate way will always look a lot more natural for 90% of surfaces - the trouble comes when you get very complex surfaces that reflect light in bizarre and non-trivial ways (like car paint!). I think this shows through in how great the environments look.
I think the problem may be that because the general standard is so much higher, anything that isn't hitting that 90% stars looking more out of place, even though it is technically very well done and better than F3. I do find these things hard to spot (as I look at things in a technical way).

The tyres in F3, as nice as they looked, had really bad self shadowing at times. Something that would look horrible in F4 but they got away with in 3. Parts in shadow would simply became a certain percentage darker.

Xanadu

Banned
lord pie said:
Maybe.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'all round' the tyre, if you mean from top to bottom, then yeah, it should be very uniform given the surface is mostly facing the same direction.

However, there still is quite a bit of variation in the lighting:
forza4_tyre.jpg

I appreciate you are trying to explain why you think it looks wrong. (I get irritated when people flatly say 'it looks crap' etc). Usually there are very good reasons why something does or doesn't look right - in this case, I don't think it's T10. Perhaps the tyres could be brighter - but overall I think they have done a bloody fantastic job here, and I've been very vocal in the lack of more physically accurate lighting in F3.
you obviously know more about lighting than me so maybe i am mistaken but when i look at the picture as a whole i just feel something is off with the lighting on the wheels and tires, but i cant complain as it is much better than forza 3

lord pie

Ok. Looking over the pics again, and accounting for my crappy netbook display :) I do think the tyres are too dark.

I'm curious what you think of this pic, here I've simply boosted the brightness of the tyres about 3x:

forza4_tyre2.jpg

However it may also be that the image is underexposed. The car could well be white, with white wheels and the car is in shadow from the clouds. If it were underexposed, then it would appear more gray with silver wheels and excessively dark tyres (as it does here). Hmmmm. :)

amar212

Seanspeed said:
I think its funny, though, that the people there complaining about it are saying they are only doing it to HELP Turn 10 and to point out flaws to them so that they might fix it.

Since last week was 5 weeks before going gold, now they're at 4 weeks before gold.

I presume all modelling at Austria, China and India is over weeks (months?) ago and at this point game is in heavy testing phase and final compilation of details.

Everybody can now complain aboyt whatever, but since release date is carved in stone, best way to spend time is to drive FM3 as much as everybody can in order to get as much content possible for content-wise still unkown transfer to FM4.

saladine1

evil_as_skeletor said:
So what was all the talk about XB [Falcons] from BADNED anyways?

It seems like something would have come out by now...

You know any more SALADINE?
Not at this stage. Perhaps a full reveal of the cars closer to the Bathurst 1000 race later this year (Oct 6-9)..?

Edit: So the Top Gear drag strip is confirmed..
Turn 10 said:
....For the location. we chose Top Gear Test Drag track quarter mile strip, one of the new track environments in Forza 4....

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/WIR_7-29/

Mascot

Watching the Blancpain GT endurance series from Spa on Motors TV right now.
Jesus, FM4 neeeeeeeeeeeeeeds this track. It's a glaring, glaring omission from the series that needs correcting immediately.

(I won't mention that the sun is setting and the headlights are on for added awesomeness).

The MP4 in GT race trim is worth a mention too - frikkin' gorgeous.

(this is a render, but you get the idea)

mclaren-mp4-12c-gtr--3_460x0w.jpg

Top Bottom