• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

eso76

Mascot said:
Wow, there's quite a difference in model quality between the av and non-av cars.

Nah, interiors and engine parts aside av and non av cars should look the same.
They remodeled each car in the 400k poly area for Fm3.

Damn i was expecting 'real' pics (taken on the track) for each car. I guess that was asking for too much.

So i guess each one of those 32 spots in the tracks section is going to host a different location, then ? They won't just leave empty boxes RIGHT ?

As for the Enzo..don't care, it was always an ugly car anyway :p
At least they got rid of the stupid yellow headlights F50 from fm3 !

I sure hope they did remodel the F40 though. There is hope, since it's now an autovista car.

G Rom

The full table might really be used for 80 manufacturers in the car section. Alfa's id is 2147483765, if you change the id, it redirects you to the manufacturers list except if you go too far when it won't redirect you and will show a fucked up page. 2147483761 is the first redirected page and 2147483841 is the last one. Time will tell if I'm right.

This trick doesn't work for track, we know there's at least 25 locals (15 already confirmed by BADNED's list) though or else they wouldn't have put 4 rows in the track section.

Mascot

eso76 said:
Nah, interiors and engine parts aside av and non av cars should look the same.
They remodeled each car in the 400k poly area for Fm3.

Mmmm.. not convinced. I'm sure the exterior body meshes and LOD on things like headlights, badges, brake calipers etc would be extra-detailed on the av cars, wouldn't they?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mascot said:
Mmmm.. not convinced. I'm sure the exterior body meshes and LOD on things like headlights, badges, brake calipers etc would be extra-detailed on the av cars, wouldn't they?

I wouldn't bet on it, the non av cars are non av cars for a reason, no special features or enough history to get the "detail" eye candy compartment areas worked on for show.

imo we just need more regular cars to be shown to judge. I'm sure T10 wouldn't be happy with even a noticeable difference between the exterior quality of av vs non-av cars

G Rom

Yeah like they wouldn't be happy if we'd see differences between poorly ported FM2 models and laser scanned models, oh wait...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
G Rom said:
Yeah like they wouldn't be happy if we'd see differences between poorly ported FM2 models and laser scanned models, oh wait...

At least the poorly ported will be of equal visual quality to the av models or very near it :p

Poor labor assembly but visually good quality maaaan!

:)

sneaky77

Obviously some cars will be extra detailed for auto vista, but as long as in the track and replays all models are same quality that will be good.

I hope all 32 track locales are for the game.. and no empty "DLC" boxes (although is likely)

brotkasten said:
What else is wrong with the Enzo?

Besides the mangled schnoz, the car is much wider in reality than it is in the game, (the pictures below are scaled to the same height). The transition would be more apparent with a GIF, but that's more effort than I'm willing to expend. :p

QZgXT.jpg

In profile, the proportions are generally correct, but the windows are larger on the Forza model than they should be. Also, there are some slight differences in the shape and placement of the mirrors and Scuderia Ferrari shields.

ZOK8c.jpg

Finally, the rear diffusers and Venturi tunnels are just completely wrong.

Pb7z2.jpg

Again, many of the early cars were inconsistent in quality, and the Enzo was far from the worst. The flaws are more apparent in FM4 with its Autovista treatment, but at least the interior and mechanicals are nearly faultless.

Slayer-33 said:
Poor labor assembly but visually good quality maaaan!

:)

This is a nice, concise way of looking at the situation.

eso76

1) amalfi / positano
2) mugello
3) benchmark
4) catalunya
5) fujimi kaido
6) le mans
7) maple valley
8) mazda laguna seca
9) montserrat
10) new york
11) nurbirgring
12) road america
13) road atlanta
14) sebring
15) sedona
16) sidewinder
17) silverstone
18) sunset peninsula
19) suzuka
20) tsukuba
21) motegi

22) bernese alps
23) hockenheim
24) top gear
25) indianapolis
26) infineon raceway (?)
27)
28)
29)
30)
31)
32)

but could ladera and iberian circuit be considered 2 diff locations than montserrat ?
amalfi and positano ? nurburgring GP and nordschleife ?

As for av vs non av models, 'regular' cars in fm3 had very impressive meshes, on par with othergame5 premiums phototravel models from a geometry pov. Except some of them were not accurate or just wrong -see F40- returning cars from fm2 for example were remodeled and smoothed with large amounts of geometry, but tended to look worse than newer models anyway. But in such small pics ? you won't be able to tell the difference between a new av car and non av ones.

adelante

Wow....there's enough subtle differences between an in-game Enzo and its real life counterpart to make the former look like a cheap knockoff. Doesn't help when the original design isn't so impressive either... heh

Mascot

op_ivy said:
Forza 3, by my count, had 21 (or, slightly more if you count things such as ladera as different then camino viejo)

amalfi
mugello
benchmark ring
catalunya
kaido
le mans
maple valley
leguna seca
montserrat
new york
nurburgring
road america
road atlanta
sebring
sedona
sidewinder
silverstone
sunset peninsula
suzuka
tsukuba
motegi

we know F4 has top gear, hockenheim, indy, alps, and infineon... so, if it has that PLUS all of F3, we are still short upwards of 6 tracks!

Unfortunately I think you do need to replace Montserrat with Ladera, Camino Viejo, Iberian and Extreme, which takes three of the six vacant slots.
I'm sure it's how Turn 10 counted them, as individual tracks, not as generic 'Montserrat'.
Hope I'm wrong though..!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eso76 said:
1) amalfi / positano
2) mugello
3) benchmark
4) catalunya
5) fujimi kaido
6) le mans
7) maple valley
8) mazda laguna seca
9) montserrat
10) new york
11) nurbirgring
12) road america
13) road atlanta
14) sebring
15) sedona
16) sidewinder
17) silverstone
18) sunset peninsula
19) suzuka
20) tsukuba
21) motegi

22) bernese alps
23) hockenheim
24) top gear
25) indianapolis
26) infineon raceway (?)
27)
28)
29)
30)
31)
32)

but could ladera and iberian circuit be considered 2 diff locations than montserrat ?

dude

doesnt f3 handle amalfi and positano, ladera and camino viejo, nurburg gp and the ring , etc as separate locations? if so, that whittles down the open boxes to a small handful

eso76 said:

That would still leave two open slots.

EDIT: Or one if the Extreme track has its own spot.

BADNED

eso76 said:

Same environment but seperate location.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mascot said:
So, we all agree then: all FM4 tracks are present and accounted for?
Not quite. There should still be two track environments to be announced even if you count Ladera, Iberian Peninsula, NurburgringGP and Amalfi as seperate environments.

So is the playable build on the showfloor the old one from E3?

We know the journos get the behind-closed-doors goodness; I wonder if there will be some epic extended coverage like the Gamespot and ISR videos from E3.

I'll give Forza 4 some due though, from the latest b-roll. The dusk shots do give it a 'classy' look, like it's got some real atmosphere.

Are different times of day confirmed for all tracks, or just select ones? I can't remember if I've read/heard that anywhere.

Some of the shots of the cars are amazing!

Mascot

BCD2 said:
Man, those hanger shots are rough on the eyes. I've seen better perspective on a hieroglyph.

It's weird, isn't it? They obviously photographed them in a blank environment, then shopped them into the warehouse.

Why not just photograph them in the warehouse to start with? It's a whole lot less fucking work, and would look a gazillion times better. At the very least, the perspective and IBL/reflections would be correct.

A very odd way to go about things.

G Rom

Seanspeed said:
Not quite. There should still be two track environments to be announced even if you count Ladera, Iberian Peninsula, NurburgringGP and Amalfi as seperate environments.
Those spots will be left empty until the Spa & Bathurst DLCs. Not integrated in career and available for 400 MS Points each later this year.

I'd probably still buy them... :-/

Mascot

Seanspeed said:

Python and Cobra!

please God, no.

eso76

So Badned came and said we shouldn't expect 6 new locations...but said nothing about night driving.
Plot thickens..

They've changed two or three cameras in that Nurb GP replay.

two or three ? they changed the whole damn...everything !

OrangeOak

eso76 said:
seriously, you should watch it.

Also, from these vids i can confirm full lod both ingame and during replay.

Yes ,there is definitely full LOD model in replays(its clearly visible in Top Gear Test Track replay video) but Im not to sure about ingame.
I don't know if this is even possible(we have more cars on track and track detail seems to be increased),maybe in time trials with one car only on the track.

eso76

OrangeOak said:
Yes ,there is definitely full LOD model in replays(its clearly visible in Top Gear Test Track replay video) but Im not to sure about ingame.
I don't know if this is even possible(we have more cars on track and track detail seems to be increased),maybe in time trials with one car only on the track.

look at the video in chase cam. Full interiors, no doubt about it.
I'm sure it's just for single player events, but it's something at least.

OrangeOak

eso76 said:
look at the video in chase cam. Full interiors, no doubt about it.
I'm sure it's just for single player events, but it's something at least.

These full LOD models are really great so driving them even in time trials/test driving alone is pretty big thing form me ;)
Now with full LOD models in replays and better lighting/shaders I don't mind driving lower lod models in single player races at all because I don't find it that bad in F3 outside of replays anyway.

Jdez15

Banned
I seriously can't wait for this game, the big reason I was a fan of FM3 was the customization aspect of the game, so much to do, so many decals, fan made logos, it was all there for you to use on your car. I will surely be getting this game on day 1.

sneaky77

Facebook update: Forza Garage: American cars can be more than muscle cars, as this newest Forza 4 car will show. Welcome the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP to Forza! Also returning: the 1999 Shelby Series 1 and 2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6.

eso76

OrangeOak said:
Now with full LOD models in replays and better lighting/shaders I don't mind driving lower lod models in single player races at all because I don't find it that bad in F3 outside of replays anyway.

well..i think even in replays full lod is limited to single player races or at best it's just for your car. But geometry was not fm3 cars' problem anyway, even at their typical ingame lod they're generally better than most racers'.

Top Bottom