• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

p3tran

Banned
They show up at a certain time 6pm CST for me

My Drivatar drove 2x as many races as yesterday, but still only pays out ~11,800 credits :(

mine did 62 races and earned ~10k credits

So far, yesterday, I got just over 3k and today just over 4k in cred. Of course my Drivetar is only around 8-10% synced.

thats too little! 62 races for 10k is a fuckin highway robbery! hmm, I thought that this might be an extra source of credits for the racer to compensate, but it doesnt look like it...

Yo, Helios, please inform dan that he has to balance this shit out!
we dont want to be hunting for credits. tis a fuckin' racing game with cars!
Dan was talking about 'pokemon', but I see fuckin 'monopoly' here..

PARANO1A

So far I really don't get the monetisation complaints. The game is playing exactly like every other racer I've played... You do races, you buy cars, you do more races. I hate the console war vitriol. Am I missing something?

Zafir

So far I really don't get the monetisation complaints. The game is playing exactly like every other racer I've played... You do races, you buy cars, you do more races. I hate the console war vitriol. Am I missing something?
- You get a notification after every single race at the top saying you can boost your XP by buying one using tokens
- You no longer get cars as a reward
- Did you even check the prices, £30 for a car is just laughable. You can buy new games for that price.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Every other racing game allows you to race all the cars outside of career mode.

Orca

- You get a notification after every single race at the top saying you can boost your XP by buying one using tokens
- Did you even check the prices, £30 for a car is just laughable. You can buy new games for that price.

So you don't want to buy cars and they're also too expensive. That reminds me of the 'this food is terrible and there's not enough of it!' line.

It's like some of you don't even realize cars on the whole seem to have gotten cheaper, not more expensive. And why do we suddenly hate the idea of having to actually do some races to earn money to buy cars NOW, when that's been the norm for...well since the original GT probably.

Izayoi

Banned
So you don't want to buy cars and they're also too expensive. That reminds me of the 'this food is terrible and there's not enough of it!' line.

It's like some of you don't even realize cars on the whole seem to have gotten cheaper, not more expensive. And why do we suddenly hate the idea of having to actually do some races to earn money to buy cars NOW, when that's been the norm for...well since the original GT probably.
Dude. It takes over 50 hours of racing to unlock one car.

You don't see a problem with that?

Zafir

I never said I want to buy cars, even if they were cheaper I wouldn't buy the tokens, but that's down to me not wanting to spend money on virtual in game items. It's down to principle the reason why everyone is mad.

If you think charging £30 for a digital car is fine, then whatever, but don't expect everyone else to be all happy about them money gouging.

This is the first sim I've put more than twenty minutes in since GT3. God damn, does racing feel great.

It's a shame about the micro-transactions if they're that bad. I'm about five hours in and just soaking up the game modes and career races, and can't really comment on any of it.

Freeser

Does anyone know how Drivatar rewards work? My Drivatar has raced in ~35 races, my sons in ~250, and my wifes hasn't got any rewards. We all started roughly the same time and have roughly the same amount of races under our belts.

Izayoi

Banned
What if its like an endboss in another genre? Still a problem?
Presumably I've acquired tons of other stuff by that point. New characters, lots of shiny new gear and items, maybe a new mount or ship, tons of cool abilities and skills...

After 50 hours in Forza 5 you get... one car. Nothing else. No parts, no new modes, no tracks. Not a single thing other than one car (and maybe an Achievement or two).

You seriously don't see an issue with that?

What about the special gt5 car?
Special GT5 car? I only have about 15 minutes logged in GT5 so you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming that you get other things along the way - or there's at least some kind of other progression tied to it. Not to mention that GT5 doesn't have a real money -> fake money scam. (I'm well aware that GT6 does, and I think it's equally as repulsive.)

PARANO1A

First point is tacky, granted.

Second, I can't ever remember actually using a "won" vehicle in a racing game. I race races in the car I most want to drive based on criteria. I can see it as annoying but it's a disconnect from monetisation for me.

Third point - I agree its pathetic and i don't care. They could make new cars a thousand bucks or a million, it's not going to impact me since I'll never ever pay for one.

The complaint to impact ratio is way out of proportion if this is the concern.

Orca

Dude. It takes over 50 hours of racing to unlock one car.

You don't see a problem with that?

It would take that long to earn the most expensive car in the game if you only did starter races where you earn limited money and deliberately refused to advance to the more lucrative races.

If you're not an idiot, you would never do that.

Mountains out of molehills.

RoKKeR

My brother going through the car list is funny.

"They do NOT have... what? Really Forza?"

Actual game itself is great. Car list seems weak, not concerned about the micro transaction shit storm just yet, isn't really effecting out game experience.

Izayoi

Banned
It would take that long to earn the most expensive car in the game if you only did starter races where you earn limited money and deliberately refused to advance to the more lucrative races.
Okay, so how much are you earning an hour with the A, S, and R-class races, then?

I heard that even the higher level races didn't net you that many more credits over the slow ones, so please prove me wrong on this.

Duuke

Is it just me or is the specular of the cars in this game ridiculously high? The paint options seem to be super gloss or carbon fiber, and nothing in between. I love the reflections but it just becomes distracting. And actually does a disservice to the details on the cars. I am enjoying it, a very slick racer.

ChrisV

I purchased this digitally tonight...man, I'm an idiot for not getting this on launch day. Also, is there a way to access the Day 1 stuff, or am I out of luck because I got the digital copy?

Xamdou

Is anyone else having a problem with being disconnected after the start of an online match? I haven't completed one single online race since launch.

Devildoll

The cars you get with the LE and Day One Pack, how do you even get them. Do you need to buy them or something?

yes, like in every single forza game up untill this point, the buying a dlc means you are granted the ability to buy the car ingame, with earned credits.

HokieJoe

If you can't remember winning a car in Forza than you've never played the career mode before. I wouldn't be surprised since the people who are defending this are not even into the series to begin with.

If that was true you wouldn't have made the post above.

I've played all of the Forza's except F5. I get some of the gripes like the free play issue and the lack of cars and tracks and/or charging money for cars/tracks that should've been in the game to begin with. OTOH, all of the hooey about having to buy cars with in-game credits you earn after you paid $$ for DLC is just grousing IMO.

nikos

Looks like he was trying to dodge the Ford GT infront of him, and then just got caught on the player's car.

Love the nickname drivatard though.

I noticed that afterwards, but regular AI probably wouldn't have tried to pass. Still, it seems like they make bad decisions in every race.

T10 really needs to do something with trees for next Forza game, cause some of them look really bad. They did a great job with grass, so I'm hoping they can work some magic with trees as well :D

Hawk269

I barely have started the game, only did the first 5 races or so...but I want to start all over. In the past, I would just go into the memory portion of the dashboard and delete the save file, but since there is no area of the dash to allow you to do this, how would start a fresh new game?

saladine1

I love how if you damage say the left side brakes, it hampers braking ability by dipping to the right when they are applied. Don't ever remember this happening in FM4.

Yes, the game is light in content, yes the DLC/Tokens bullshit is, well, bullshit, but FM5 as it stands is a wonderful driving and racing experience. There's plenty to like here.

I hope however, that Turn 10 take the criticisms on-board for FM6 and truly construct a big game from the solidly based FM5. There's plenty to build upon and it can only get better.
Remember, FM6 will be the 10th year anniversary of the franchise so the sky is the limit..

But for now, back to FM5 and hopefully, a more fleshed out experience as the months go on..

Fixed that for you.

No need to be fixed. How are you driving scrappy cars. 1st car I drove was a RX 8, second one I bought was a MazdaSpeed 3. If those are scrappy cars I don't know what I could say to you to realize how silly you sound.

That thread has gone off the deep end and is rolling into the great FUD storm of our age.

Hey Shortt Sirket you use tokens, are you aware Turn 10 is robbing you of your civil rights, while having sex with your girl, then kicking your dog on the way out!

Oh no I gave you some tokens before .........the internet police are going to be on my trail, and I'll be tried in the Hague for violation of international gamer law.

saladine1

Remember, as in FM4, if you want your cockpit to sound a little more crazier, apply some weight reduction to strip out sound proofing from the car.
God I love that detail..

Just wanted to list my impressions so far:

Pros
Physics are sublime
Sound is amazing
Visuals are gorgeous
Drivatar AI is a God-send
Love the controller implementation
Love the auto bios
Paint options are terrific
Love the crowds,pre/post race activity,birds,copters..etc
Upgrade/tune/test-drive same screen
Hud options and selection
16 cars on track
Cockpit filters and windscreen effects

Cons
-Cars/wheels should be listed under manufacturers
-Race series descriptions and restrictions are vague
-Upgrades,tuning are the same. Needs an overhaul.
-Needs more cars/tracks
-Lacks some variation (weather,night)
-Lacks longer races and pits
-Lacks modes(dedicated drag/drift/rally)
- I don't mind the grinding but obviously people are upset about how money and vehicles are acquired

Omni

Just a question. Can you make custom races in this game?

So if I wanted to have a custom race - say 20 laps of Bathurst in those Australian V8s, can I do that?

Bullshit, those threads are full of people who've never played the game talking out of their asses about what they've heard from other people who haven't played the game - all assumptions that appear to be wrong, but they won't listen to reason because THEY HEARD SO AND SO SAID, so anyone arguing based on reality is just a fanboy.

It's embarrassing to read that shit over and over again. I mean people are criticizing a racing game for 'making' you race... It's fucking GameFAQs up in here all of a sudden.
All of the sudden? It has been like this for months. I don't care about token, I am a bit annoy with excessive contents move to DLC, but most of the complain come from people who doesn't even own Xbox One.

I pick up Rival yesterday, but I spend most of my time today with Forza because the driving is so much fun. After finish a series, I was able to buy GTR Black Edition I don't think its terribly bad.

Just a question. Can you make custom races in this game?

So if I wanted to have a custom race - say 20 laps of Bathurst in those Australian V8s, can I do that?

Yes. The best way to do it - to ensure the AI cars are what you want them to be - is set up a private multiplayer lobby and populate it with AI.

Mascot

The biggest defence of the monetisation issue seems to be "well, I'd never use it, therefore it doesn't affect me, therefore it's not bad". I don't really understand the logic here. Are people really that short-sighted?

Top Bottom