• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Clockwork5

Assume that only a tiny fraction (we'll say 1%, but EEDAR's recent study suggests that it's closer to 5%) of Forza 5 players are so-called whales, and that they purchase all of the cars at the best value ($1690 + $50 season pass). We'll go with 500k copies sold (probably pretty generous, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point), so we're looking at about 5,000 players.

Those 5,000 players alone are going to bring in $8,700,000 (this is not including the $60 from the game purchase itself). They're compensating for 140,000 other people purchasing the game (in reality it's a lot more than that, as the profit margins on a retail copy are far less than direct-from-XBL purchases for Microsoft - using the 30% figure from here, it would mean that the whales are actually compensating for 483,000+ regular customers).

Every whale, by themselves, is the equivalent of 29 (96+ assuming we're working off of profit margin alone) regular customers.

You see the problem here?

No, I do not see 1% of players spending that amount of money. ever. not even close. .001%... 1 out of 10,000? maybe.... That is a shitload of cash. The vast majority will not even touch the token system. Hyperbole and random figures do not move this conversation forward.

saladine1

It would be nice if T10 would actually acknowledge some of the things or tell us what things they are working on fixing or adding to the game. For me, specifically, I need to know what the plan, if there is one for additional tracks. I never counted test tracks as more tracks so for me, there are only 12 real tracks in this game and that is pathetic, regardless if this is a launch title or not.

Yes, it would be nice.
Forget the PR and formalities and just come out as racing and video game fans.
Inform the public of your decisions, ideas and future plans. Just tell us what's going on or what has happened. People need to be kept in the loop, good news or bad.
Backlash will happen regardless if you reach out or not so why not reach out anyway.

I guess though, that Turn 10 aren't professionally obliged to do so...

Gestault

As someone who originally planned to be a late-comer anyway, most of this bothers me in a way that I'd rather just not buy the game. If things are improved, I'll be happy to play. This series has been among my favorites, and I approach this as entertainment, so this isn't some soap box about the direction of the industry or a corporate culture overall. I'm pragmatic. Does the game as described sound like something I'd enjoy? Not with a lot of these choices in play. I think that's the core of my annoyance; these are decisions, not unintentional shortcomings or limitations due to time.

Considering the work that went into things like the AI system, in-game detail, sound design, physics and handling, there's a lot to like here. I'll be missing out, but there are plenty of other games I enjoy, and not an excess of free time for them.

Assume that only a tiny fraction (we'll say 1%, but EEDAR's recent study suggests that it's closer to 5%) of Forza 5 players are so-called whales, and that they purchase all of the cars at the best value ($1690 + $50 season pass). We'll go with 500k copies sold (probably pretty generous, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point), so we're looking at about 5,000 players.

Those 5,000 players alone are going to bring in $8,700,000 (this is not including the $60 from the game purchase itself). They're compensating for 140,000 other people purchasing the game (in reality it's a lot more than that, as the profit margins on a retail copy are far less than direct-from-XBL purchases for Microsoft - using the 30% figure from here, it would mean that the whales are actually compensating for 483,000+ regular customers).

Every whale, by themselves, is the equivalent of 29 (96+ assuming we're working off of profit margin alone) regular customers.

Are you suggesting 1-5% of players will pay real money for every car in the game even though they can all be bought through actually playing the game?

Why would one person do that, let alone thousands?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
2 lap races again?

What is the lap breakdown through career?

so far (and i'm not far in and still racing with lower class cars) about 50% of the races are 2 laps, 40% are 3, and 10% are 1 lap "one off" events

Izayoi

Banned
Are you suggesting 1-5% of players will pay real money for every car in the game even though they can all be bought through actually playing the game?

Why would one person do that, let alone thousands?
Hypothetical figures, obviously. In reality it's likely that more people will buy in, but less will spend the complete amount required to purchase everything. While obviously not 100% accurate, I'd say it's a pretty decent estimation.

No, I do not see 1% of players spending that amount of money. ever. not even close. .001%... 1 out of 10,000? maybe.... That is a shitload of cash. The vast majority will not even touch the token system. Hyperbole and random figures do not move this conversation forward.
Unfortunately, what you do or don't see does not change reality. EEDAR's study regarding people who buy into F2P models suggest that upwards of 4% of people playing are "heavy payers" or "whales". If anything, 1% is low-balling, and most certainly not hyperbole.

Hawk269

Yes, it would be nice.
Forget the PR and formalities and just come out as racing and video game fans.
Inform the public of your decisions, ideas and future plans. Just tell us what's going on or what has happened. People need to be kept in the loop, good news or bad.
Backlash will happen regardless if you reach out or not so why not reach out anyway.

I guess though, that Turn 10 aren't professionally obliged to do so...

Well, Dan seems to come across as such a racing fan and making a game for the car lover and gamer, so I hope he backs this up by talking or having it as part of their weekly updates. I don't believe for a second that Dan and the team are a bit disappointed that they could not include more tracks, but since the commitment to make launch day put them in this situation, it would be nice for them to say:

"due to being a launch title, we shipped the best game that we believe in. With that said, we understand and sympathize with our fans on the lack of tracks compared to all of our other games and this is what we are going to do about...."

Maybe I am living in Fantasy Land and hope that something like that happens, but I don't think it will. At this point, spreading any good will is a positive however and no, that does not mean "Hey here is yet another car pack".

jem0208

1-5% of people who buy Forza 5 are not going to spend $1740 on the game. There may be a very tiny minority who do but it will be very small. However I wouldn't be surprised if quite a large percentage spend a small amount on microtransactions.

Izayoi

Banned
1-5% of people who buy Forza 5 are not going to spend $1740 on the game. There may be a very tiny minority who do but it will be very small. However I wouldn't be surprised if quite a large percentage spend a small amount on microtransactions.
Exactly my point. Obviously the figures are not meant to be taken as gospel. They are there to give a general idea of the potential impact these microtransactions can have, and to demonstrate how they can completely negate the vote of those who choose not to support the game with their money.

saladine1

Well, Dan seems to come across as such a racing fan and making a game for the car lover and gamer, so I hope he backs this up by talking or having it as part of their weekly updates. I don't believe for a second that Dan and the team are a bit disappointed that they could not include more tracks, but since the commitment to make launch day put them in this situation, it would be nice for them to say:

"due to being a launch title, we shipped the best game that we believe in. With that said, we understand and sympathize with our fans on the lack of tracks compared to all of our other games and this is what we are going to do about...."

Maybe I am living in Fantasy Land and hope that something like that happens, but I don't think it will. At this point, spreading any good will is a positive however and no, that does not mean "Hey here is yet another car pack".

I think it was Yoshida who came out after being asked about review scores for PS4 launch games. He said something along the lines of "well, at least 1 game scored fairly".
He could've said the games are great and they are the best and it's all awesome and whatnot, but he didn't. A human responded and not some PR bullshit man. People admired and respected that.
I think that's what people want to see from Turn 10. Just some downright honesty and humanism...

Hawk269

If I want to restart the game, from the beginning (Start a new Career) is there a way to do it? On the 360, I would just delete the save file from the memory manager, but the Xbox One has no memory manager.

If I want to restart the game, from the beginning (Start a new Career) is there a way to do it? On the 360, I would just delete the save file from the memory manager, but the Xbox One has no memory manager.

Yes there's a key combination in the game mentioned in the official forum that resets your Forza 5 save.

11031977393_193a41d93f_b.jpg

First livery, snap was very useful.

Reclaimer

Help please! :)

How do I get all my limited collectors edition stuff? I had Kinect scan the code, but nothing seems to be different in game?

G Rom

Any idea when we'll get our rewards cars ? I'd like to play with the F12 and P1 in career...

I don't know if some of you noticed but in P1 career intro, the R18 has a different livery in some shots. It's one with red around the headlights.

Afro

Forza 4's physics were so damn forgiving and easy with no assists. I had such a huge smile on my face the first time I oversteered hard and couldn't possibly correct it @ 100mph in my stock RX-8 in this game. Handling feels so much better.

zorbsie

First livery, snap was very useful.

Did you make that dragon head in the editor? Looks fantastic. Did you have snap open with the image? that could be really helpful actually. Can't wait for my copy to arrive on Monday, and hopefully my system too, and check this stuff out.

Did you make that dragon head in the editor? Looks fantastic. Did you have snap open with the image? that could be really helpful actually. Can't wait for my copy to arrive on Monday, and hopefully my system too, and check this stuff out.

Yep. Would have been nice to have a 50/50 screen, but I would just move the image around to the section I was working on at the time.

My Pizza Hut car code never worked, it can just be redeemed through the Xbox website right?

Oh I forgot to ask, for those playing in surround, how's the mixing?

Wow, I never thought of using snap to bring up a reference photo, thanks for that tip. Good job on the livery.

Thanks to you also. I never understood how to correctly use the layers until you put up that how to make Homer Simpson video on YouTube, around the time Forza 3 came out. After watching that it gave me a great understanding on how to turn those basic shapes into something.

For reference for anyone who wants to get their head around using the layers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua9GmC1jkv0

no_to_co

Hi Guys,

I just downloaded Forza and can't find anywhere where I can get the Day One car pack or where I can buy the Limited Edition car pack. I thought I would be in cars or in marketplace, but in cars you only get single cars and Marketplace says "Coming Soon" and I cant open it.

Any ideas where I can find those?

jmro

Now I get to watch all of my idiot friends smash into each other on the first turn of every race. Thanks, Drivatar technology

Hi Guys,

I just downloaded Forza and can't find anywhere where I can get the Day One car pack or where I can buy the Limited Edition car pack. I thought I would be in cars or in marketplace, but in cars you only get single cars and Marketplace says "Coming Soon" and I cant open it.

Any ideas where I can find those?

After I put in the code they just showed up in the list of cars available to purchase. They should have a little icon next to them indicating they were downloaded. Buying the game digitally should have gotten you the cars since you bought it within the first 2 weeks.

ElementJJ

Banned
Was playing F4 this weekend, was wondering whether in F5 they allow you to do more than a fixed set of laps (2-3lap track dependent) in the quick race mode? In F4 you cant change the laps you want to race.

Sorry to ask this again, can I put the codes in on the Xbox website now and collect them later as they expire after a couple of weeks?

Was playing F4 this weekend, was wondering whether in F5 they allow you to do more than a fixed set of laps (2-3lap track dependent) in the quick race mode? In F4 you cant change the laps you want to race.

You can if you have Gold on F4, just start a private online race and bump the laps up there.

G Rom

You can in FM5.
As much as I hate that free play doesn't have all the cars available to rent, I love the the fact that if you use your career cars, you can earn XP and Cr. in races for which you choose all settings.

op_ivy

same. no idea.

forza 5 is sooo good. shame there is so much negativity surrounding the x1 - i think people are looking for anything to be negative about. the feel and physics are now so great. i love that if you are drifting at all, or even on the verge of losing grip, rumble strips will cause you all sorts of trouble. i love that you can feel different surface types. i love that even with steering set to normal as opposed to sim, its still possible to get yourself in a tank slapper situation that can be difficult to recover from. i love it. it might be light on content, but the core game itself... this is probably (easily?) the biggest jump the series has ever seen.

no_to_co

After I put in the code they just showed up in the list of cars available to purchase. They should have a little icon next to them indicating they were downloaded. Buying the game digitally should have gotten you the cars since you bought it within the first 2 weeks.

I thought they show up in your garage after you redeem the code. What about the cars season pack? Were can I get the season pack? This is so confusing. Should have gotten the disk version :(

Edit:

Never mind. Figured it out. It is on the same page where you download the game. No upgrade to Limited Edition. Just VIP for $20. Going to order the limited edition and sell the disk and box and keep the DLC.

MMaRsu

The biggest defence of the monetisation issue seems to be "well, I'd never use it, therefore it doesn't affect me, therefore it's not bad". I don't really understand the logic here. Are people really that short-sighted?

Yes some are that short sighted. They cannot understand what it does to the industry in longer terms.

ElementJJ

Banned
Sorry to ask this again, can I put the codes in on the Xbox website now and collect them later as they expire after a couple of weeks?

You can if you have Gold on F4, just start a private online race and bump the laps up there.

Yes i know that you can with Gold, just im on Silver as im not active enough to justify gold atm, but its something that should be possible offline.

You can in FM5.
As much as I hate that free play doesn't have all the cars available to rent, I love the the fact that if you use your career cars, you can earn XP and Cr. in races for which you choose all settings.

Ah so atleast they fixed that, still a shame about the rental car situation in free play.

Justin

So I have finished the first 3 sets of events in the carer mode and got mostly gold in every race. I am thinking I should start taking off some of the assists. Can anyone recommend which assists are good for a beginner to turn off first? I already upped the drivatar to the +10% level.

Also I am having a blast with this game. As a non racing game fan I am very impressed.

Having never played a sim since gt3, and also being terrible at that game, I turned off half of the assists (or went halfway). I did two series that way and then turned off all the assists except the brake line. I'd keep that guiding line.

Also, turn the drivatar difficulty down to compensate for a while.

The game really shines a lot more with assists off. I've cursed so many times because I was being too aggressive and blew a turn, but its worth it

Devildoll

Wait, is bigshot gone completely, or is it just one of those things that's getting implemented "soon"?

they still have this on the gallery page on Forzamotorsport.net

could be a place for all the bigshots for 4 i guess, could also be where the ones from 5 will land if the feature will be brought back.

op_ivy

Having never played a sim since gt3, and also being terrible at that game, I turned off half of the assists (or went halfway). I did two series that way and then turned off all the assists except the brake line. I'd keep that guiding line.

Also, turn the drivatar difficulty down to compensate for a while.

The game really shines a lot more with assists off. I've cursed so many times because I was being too aggressive and blew a turn, but its worth it

i cant say this enough... ditch the racing/braking line. it will teach you the tracks rather then just racing the line.

p3tran

Banned
You can in FM5.
As much as I hate that free play doesn't have all the cars available to rent, I love the fact that if you use your career cars, you can earn XP and Cr. in races for which you choose all settings.

wow! you know what? I love this feature too! 8)

PG2G

i cant say this enough... ditch the racing/braking line. it will teach you the tracks rather then just racing the line.

This is my biggest problem I think. I'm not learning the tracks and now whenever there are cars all up in ny face I end up rear ending them pretty hard because I have no idea what's coming lol.

I'll probably turn it off from now on. I'm keeping TCS on though... I remember turning TCS off in previous revisions making me very angry lol

Yeah, but from the very beginning, all it would do is scare a newbie off playing. When I went from full guidelines to just brake lines....I was crashing non stop.

Now that I've done three full career paths with just brake lines I'll follow your advice. I just did a rivals mode with all assists off (except manual... that I'll roll into later as well), and it went fine on Silverstone. We'll see how it goes in career mode ;)

Top Bottom