• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

The biggest defence of the monetisation issue seems to be "well, I'd never use it, therefore it doesn't affect me, therefore it's not bad". I don't really understand the logic here. Are people really that short-sighted?
Yes we are shortsighted and stupid. I get the complain about lack of contents and stupid DLC pricing, but I don't get the token complain. So people complain about pay to win with token, but then complain that they have to play the game to buy DLC cars in game. As you said we are stupid and shortsighted so please enlighten me of how I am playing this game all wrong. I am having a lot of fun but apparently for the wrong reason.

flashmouth

Neo Member
How do you guys earn credits? If I remember correctly they said it would be much easier to earn credits than before, but I don't see it. I mean, sure thing you get small amounts on the start, I did the first mini career and it was like 7k per win including bonus. Then I bought a GT-R and got two classes higher but it is still 5k base credits + bonus?! What's it like in the highest classes, anybody there already?

If it stays that way it will be seen as another way of monetization, because you'll be kinda forced into buying token this way. That's so crazy, I imagine buying that LaFerrari dlc and then having to grind 1.5mio credits to actually be able to use it ingame - this will take forever and it is not even the most expensive car, they are 4x the price.

p3tran

Banned
How do you guys earn credits?
well, drivatars dont seem to net much money for the drivers.

lets wait and see how the payment is for the painters.
I guess h3rtz will be able to chip in with this info sooner than later.
then, whatever his number is, divide by 100 for us mortal painters :)

then we have the rivals ladder as another means of payment, this also has not been described yet how it works and how it pays.

and tuners? how do they make their money, and how much is that?

No I didn't, but you just proved what I did say.

You might as well, but please enlighten me. I am not argue about how lame the DLC stuffs in light of the reduced content but all the complain about token and pay 2 play is having me confuse how this would affect my game enjoyment if I don't care to use it.

flashmouth

Neo Member
well, drivatars dont seem to net much money for the drivers.

lets wait and see how the payment is for the painters.
I guess h3rtz will be able to chip in with this info sooner than later.
then, whatever his number is, divide by 100 for us mortal painters :)

then we have the rivals ladder as another means of payment, this also has not been described yet how it works and how it pays.

and tuners? how do they make their money, and how much is that?

Yeah, sadly painting and tuning aren't options for me ;)

Here are my stats:

racing
base credit 5.100, with bonus 9.760 per win

that is with dirvatar setting +35% and +50% from assists (everything off or simulation, manual transmission). this is Modern Grand Touring, third mini career and base credit did not increase from the first on.

drivatar
39 races earning 7.900cr

it may be fun, but it sure is not very rewarding.

Mascot

You might as well

No. I did not use that word. You did. Stop projecting.

but please enlighten me. I am not argue about how lame the DLC stuffs in light of the reduced content but all the complain about token and pay 2 play is having me confuse how this would affect my game enjoyment if I don't care to use it.

In a nutshell, if the microtransaction model proves successful then it's very possible that developers could base the whole game structure around them, making traditional progression even harder (or longer) while offering more and more monetised short cuts. It could be argued that FM5 is already on this path with traditional in-game revenue streams (rivals races, liveries, tunes etc) being squeezed at the same time as the player is bombarded with offers to buy acceleration tokens.

You can currently choose to ignore microtransactions but in the future you might not have that option if you want to enjoy certain games.

eso76

Oh Great, they removed most custom cameras from replays.
They left the ugly useless ones (those with the cameras fixed to an imaginary stick glued to the car) and cut the cinematic ones they introduced with fm4 that I was planning to use to do a montage.
More dlc ? :p

when will you learn t10?
the McLaren vidoc and laferrari pack trailer had awsome angles and camerawork that could be easily ported to the game, but no.
this is just obtuse, and replays often resorting to bumper cam (something i hadnt seen since fm2)show how lazy you are. Shame. Utter shame on you.

also, I noticed that tinted glass is reflected in cockpit view, and the light coming through will also tint the dashboard accordingly, iinm. Nice.

Mascot

also, I noticed that tinted glass is reflected in cockpit view, and the light coming through will also tint the dashboard accordingly, iinm. Nice.

So a darkish tint will counteract the glare from low sun that seemed to be bothering some people? That's pretty cool.

saladine1

There's a weird audio glitch I found.
I applied a roots style supercherger conversion on my AMX Javelin. Now, when I went to race, the charger whine was explicitly loud!
I then tried a stage 2 and 3 and the whine was practically silent. I guess the stage 1 sample has been swapped for a stage 3 by mistake..
It isn't isolated because it always does the same thing. Something to look at Turn 10.

sCHOCOLATE

...In a nutshell, if the microtransaction model proves successful then it's very possible that developers could base the whole game structure around them, making traditional progression even harder (or longer) while offering more and more monetised short cuts. It could be argued that FM5 is already on this path with traditional in-game revenue streams (rivals races, liveries, tunes etc) being squeezed at the same time as the player is bombarded with offers to buy acceleration tokens.

You can currently choose to ignore microtransactions but in the future you might not have that option if you want to enjoy certain games.
Mascot, it's already far too late.

The console game industry was given the green light for monetization/microtransations the moment that first horse armour was offered AND purchased by the first customer. Every person who has confirmed a DLC purchase has been a contributor to the "problem". I bought track and car DLC in FM2, I cannot exclude myself from the equation. But what worsens the situastion? Far too many people are buying anything and everything, which tells the developers and publishers that monetization is A-ok. There are Xbox One owners who have claimed to have spent hundreds of dollars on avatar items on the 360. Hundreds of dollars! Look at the Dead Or Alive Ultimate thread. Costume packs sold at nearly the price of a full game. Individual costumes offered for $2 each. You and I are from the gaming generation where alternate costumes/colour palette swaps were free. The master plan has worked and worked beautifully.

No need to build a better mousetrap. Heck, no need to even put cheese in the damn thing. In fact, the mice are looking at the cockroaches with disgust and wondering why they don't join the afterparty.

There's a weird audio glitch I found.
I applied a roots style supercherger conversion on my AMX Javelin. Now, when I went to race, the charger whine was explicitly loud!
I then tried a stage 2 and 3 and the whine was practically silent. I guess the stage 1 sample has been swapped for a stage 3 by mistake..
It isn't isolated because it always does the same thing. Something to look at Turn 10.

Same thing happened to me yesterday and the only cards i have are the GT-86, Silvia K, F430 and Atom. I think it was in the F430 there was no engine sound at all.

Seanspeed

Banned

The console game industry was given the green light for monetization/microtransations the moment that first horse armour was offered AND purchased by the first customer. Every person who has confirmed a DLC purchase has been a contributor to the "problem". I bought track and car DLC in FM2, I cannot exclude myself from the equation. But what worsens the situastion? Far too many people are buying anything and everything, which tells the developers and publishers that monetization is A-ok. There are Xbox One owners who have claimed to have spent hundreds of dollars on avatar items on the 360. Hundreds of dollars! Look at the Dead Or Alive Ultimate thread. Costume packs sold at nearly the price of a full game. Individual costumes offered for $2 each. You and I are from the gaming generation where alternate costumes/colour palette swaps were free. The master plan has worked and worked beautifully.

No need to build a better mousetrap. Heck, no need to even put cheese in the damn thing. In fact, the mice are looking at the cockroaches with disgust and wondering why they don't join the afterparty.
Can we keep generic DLC and microtransaction arguments out of this, please?

G Rom

The roofless C3 in Forzavista is such a tease, wish I could run it like that.
mobile.65tmq5l.jpg

BTW, that's my second Corvette and the narration voiced by the woman was exactly the same for both models...

Most fun I've had so far is in an old Civic in one of the early series. Had so much fun throwing it around that I've done most of the bonus events in it too. Getting rather attached to the car so I may have to use it in the class events and tune it higher for the class above events too.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Has somebody downloaded the German/French/Spanish of the game and can confirm if you still get the original Top Gear commentary? Or is it translated?

saladine1

The roofless C3 in Forzavista is such a tease, wish I could run it like that.
mobile.65tmq5l.jpg

BTW, that's my second Corvette and the narration voiced by the woman was exactly the same for both models...

Unfortunately, the narrations are limited to manufacturer bio rather than model specifics.
Would've been nice to hear more information on the actual car themselves..

Mascot

Unfortunately, the narrations are limited to manufacturer bio rather than model specifics.
Would've been nice to hear more information on the actual car themselves..

Sal, what happened to the garage door? What were the super-secrets you were teasing?

Izayoi

Banned
I barely have started the game, only did the first 5 races or so...but I want to start all over. In the past, I would just go into the memory portion of the dashboard and delete the save file, but since there is no area of the dash to allow you to do this, how would start a fresh new game?
As far as I know, you can't. There is no form of manual storage management on the XBO.

Yeah, sadly painting and tuning aren't options for me ;)

Here are my stats:

racing
base credit 5.100, with bonus 9.760 per win

that is with dirvatar setting +35% and +50% from assists (everything off or simulation, manual transmission). this is Modern Grand Touring, third mini career and base credit did not increase from the first on.

drivatar
39 races earning 7.900cr

it may be fun, but it sure is not very rewarding.
What class? C or B? Very worrisome that the payouts don't seem to be increasing.

That's an awfully defeatist attitude to have. Don't you think we should at least make an effort to not take this lying down? "Just let it happen," is pretty depressing.

Can we keep generic DLC and microtransaction arguments out of this, please?
Generic? They pertain to the game. I think that they are very relevant.

Izayoi

Banned
Payouts were based on difficulty + laps in Forza 4 regardless of class iirc.
Were they really? I always felt like I was earning more at higher classes (I set all of my difficulty stuff to Sim as soon as I start the game for the first time). It could just be that higher class races had more laps/distance though, as that would make sense too. However, I remember earning upward of 100k for some of the 8-10 lap races (at 2-3 minutes per lap)... that doesn't seem to be the case here.

saladine1

Sal, what happened to the garage door? What were the super-secrets you were teasing?

I have no idea what happened to be honest.
No answers were given after trying to get clarification.
Something must've happened in production. Time issues, strategic decisions..ummm lies?
Who knows. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, the FM.net forums are going off!
I've never seen so much negativity and criticisms.
It'll be very interesting to see how Turn 10/MS handle this situation they find themselves in.

I have no idea what happened to be honest.
No answers were given after trying to get clarification.
Something must've happened in production. Time issues, strategic decisions..ummm lies?
Who knows. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, the FM.net forums are going off!
I've never seen so much negativity and criticisms.
It'll be very interesting to see how Turn 10/MS handle this situation they find themselves in.
Or, just tell us what you were meant to have knowledge of?

Enjoying the game quite a lot although I haven't played much of it yet. Currently got my 360 plugged into my One and snapped the SkyGo app so I can watch the football whilst racing.

Im not really a car game fan except PGR and Ridge Racer but might get some decent mileage out of this, helps that it was free with the console :p

saladine1

the mods are letting those threads stay open? how strange!

Yeah, i'm surprised by this as well. It's a good move though.
People are obviously confused, upset, angry, disappointed. You can't just suppress all of those emotions. Turn 10 need to listen very carefully to each and every person venting over there.

Clockwork5

The biggest defence of the monetisation issue seems to be "well, I'd never use it, therefore it doesn't affect me, therefore it's not bad". I don't really understand the logic here. Are people really that short-sighted?

There is a limit to what can be done before it is no longer profitable. Your slippery slope fallacy is tired.

Izayoi

Banned
There is a limit to what can be done before it is no longer profitable. Your slippery slope fallacy is tired.
Proven to be untrue. There are people who will spend thousands on Forza 5 (and many who probably already have), completely negating those who choose to vote with their wallets. It is bad now, and it will only continue to get worse if people don't speak up.

Clockwork5

Proven to be untrue. There are people who will spend thousands on Forza 5 (and many who probably already have), completely negating those who choose to vote with their wallets. It is bad now, and it will only continue to get worse if people don't speak up.

No. Those people are in the extreme minority. The majority will only spend $60 for a retail game. Half of all gamers dont even buy any DLC.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i started my career in the BRZ and pro difficulty and many of the events were a struggle to get into gold in the limited number of laps. then i switched to the hot hatch class and bought the clio and am fucking destroying on pro. 1st fairly easily. guess i picked the wrong car - sure is fun to drive though.

Hawk269

Yeah, i'm surprised by this as well. It's a good move though.
People are obviously confused, upset, angry, disappointed. You can't just suppress all of those emotions. Turn 10 need to listen very carefully to each and every person venting over there.

It would be nice if T10 would actually acknowledge some of the things or tell us what things they are working on fixing or adding to the game. For me, specifically, I need to know what the plan, if there is one for additional tracks. I never counted test tracks as more tracks so for me, there are only 12 real tracks in this game and that is pathetic, regardless if this is a launch title or not.

Izayoi

Banned
No. Those people are in the extreme minority. The vast, vast, vast majority will only spend $60 for a retail game. Half of all gamers dont even buy any DLC.
Assume that only a tiny fraction (we'll say 1%, but EEDAR's recent study suggests that it's closer to 5%) of Forza 5 players are so-called whales, and that they purchase all of the cars at the best value ($1690 + $50 season pass). We'll go with 500k copies sold (probably pretty generous, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point), so we're looking at about 5,000 players.

Those 5,000 players alone are going to bring in $8,700,000 (this is not including the $60 from the game purchase itself). They're compensating for 140,000 other people purchasing the game (in reality it's a lot more than that, as the profit margins on a retail copy are far less than direct-from-XBL purchases for Microsoft - using the 30% figure from here, it would mean that the whales are actually compensating for 483,000+ regular customers).

Every whale, by themselves, is the equivalent of 29 (96+ assuming we're working off of profit margin alone) regular customers.

You see the problem here?

Aptos

I get where they're coming from, but only having two laps to get gold is kind of annoying. It totally encourages overdriving to the inside, cuz there's no other way to pass enough people in a reasonable way. All these damn drivatars are just dicks now...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I get where they're coming from, but only having two laps to get gold is kind of annoying. It totally encourages overdriving to the inside, cuz there's no other way to pass enough people in a reasonable way. All these damn drivatars are just dicks now...

yeah. really wish this was something you could set in the options (number of laps). should obviously give you a money bonus as well. i love the ai. i love the new structure of racing for podium, but they have it set in such a way that you cant really take advantage of it. more laps and you could cleanly race into a fair position.

TKR92

yeah. really wish this was something you could set in the options (number of laps). should obviously give you a money bonus as well. i love the ai. i love the new structure of racing for podium, but they have it set in such a way that you cant really take advantage of it. more laps and you could cleanly race into a fair position.

totally agree with you guys. 2 laps is too short for clean racing.

Top Bottom