• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

LeBoef

what i dont get is:

you go for laser scanned tracks and realism which brings multiplayer to a new level, thereby you cut away lobbies to casualize (is this a word?) the experience.

you go for more expensive cars and less money (which i like) to make a bond with cars, thereby you make a season where you won't stick to one.

you got a top gear license, but you dont have a rivals mode with a reasonably priced car against celebs on the test track.

these are things that annoy me.

/edit
i remember playing gt5 for the first time. i was so eager to see the top gear track in the kia. topping the leaderboars... oh that was a leasson learned.
if devs dont announce it, it doesnt exist.

amar212

More and more I am close to conclude that Forza series has just lived it's own 5th Game Curse™.

Same happened to GT after the glorious GT4, and now we have the almost exact same situation in FM5:

- much smaller amount of content than expected
- repetitious career
- broken online
- many features and options missing
- bad economy and need to grind
- bad menus and UI

Interesting development I must say. It will be interesting to watch will Turn10 answer all those challenges in the same way PD did during GT5's lifetime.

sinnergy

what i dont get is:

you go for laser scanned tracks and realism which brings multiplayer to a new level, thereby you cut away lobbies to casualize (is this a word?) the experience.

you go for more expensive cars and less money (which i like) to make a bond with cars, thereby you make a season where you won't stick to one.

you got a top gear license, but you dont have a rivals mode with a reasonably priced car against celebs on the test track.

these are things that annoy me.

/edit
i remember playing gt5 for the first time. i was so eager to see the top gear track in the kia. topping the leaderboars... oh that was a leasson learned.
if devs dont announce it, it doesnt exist.

Maybe they had to be a launch game..
Maybe the whole ALWAYS ONLINE was so integrated into the games that it all needed to be redesigned.. so they took it out...

It's not like you have unlimited resources and money to throw against it.. as a company.

Maybe there was not enough time..

Who knows..

Sure it's annoying, but after seen many launches as far back as NES, it's almost always the same..

LeBoef

you never know the reasons.
if you look at a project and your ressources, there is an limited amount of stuff you can achieve.
so cutting tracks and cars is something i can understand 100%.

but there are also bad design choices. elements that are ingame but not put together correctly. and these annoy me and let me think the different teams didnt talk to each other or no one was overlooking the whole project.

another example:
you dont have many tracks ingame. but most tracks have different ribbons. so far i have always driven the large GP layouts. even with in the smaller classes. the only exception is yas marina.
since the effort to create a career must be put in anyway, i dont see a reason to say "had not enough time".

More and more I am close to conclude that Forza series has just lived it's own 5th Game Curse™.

Same happened to GT after the glorious GT4, and now we have the almost exact same situation in FM5:

- repetitious career
- broken online
- bad menus and UI

Interesting development I must say. It will be interesting to watch will Turn10 answer all those challenges in the same way PD did during GT5's lifetime.

Forza 5 Spec 2.0?

mrJared

Banned
curious... the laFerrari pack is available day one right? can I just buy the Ferrari or is the only way to get it by buying the whole $10 pack?

saladine1

- repetitious career
- broken online
- bad menus and UI

It depends for me.

If Turn 10 have big plans for FM6, then just fix whatever they can in FM5 and concentrate on the next game. If they aren't planning big stuff, then pull a PD on FM5 and bring the game up to scratch.

FM6:
-The obligatory night and weather. For fuck's sake, NIGHT and WEATHER!

-Dedicated Drag Racing. I'm talking blowers and nitrous and Alcohol. I'm talking wheelie bars and working trees and staging sequences. Big crowds, big grandstands, big atmosphere!

-Dedicated Drift Racing. Don't know much about it but just copy the D1 stuff.

-1, one, at least ONE Rally Stage to chuck those purpose built rally cars around.

- New upgrades and tuning tools. I'm talking wide-body kits, front mount intercoolers and oil coolers. I'm talking manual ECU management, cam and ignition timing and boost control. I'm talking independent suspension and tyre tuning. A Fucking Dyno! Gimme a dyno. NFS had it. So can Forza Motorsport.

-A better career. I don't know how or what but what we have just isn't working.

If FM6 has all that and everything that makes FM5 look,feel and sound amazing, then I'm down and FM5 can stay the way it is lol..

Klocker

I was disappointed to lose the auction house but I got kind of addicted to it.

but I also made so much money that driving never mattered after a while to earn cash. Looking at how it is I see what a shame that would be in f5 because it races so well.

all I need at this point is to let me sell my dammed cars and parts back to the game please.

My brother came home with an Xbox One and Forza 5 last night and i haven't been able to put the game down, incredible game!...and that menu music, i don't remember the last time i put the controller down to listen to the menu music.
The impulse triggers make a huge difference, probably my most favorite feature of the Xbox One so far.

Orca

Well I'm pretty......uh....familiar with Forza, so I have a pretty good idea of how this affects everything. I'm sure you can get by by playing normally still, but you will no doubt have to spend more time and credits to own 'x' amount of cars/upgrades as you would have had to in FM4(assuming all the cars/upgrades are the same). But more to the point, some great features were cut like the auction house and storefront and all cars available in free play and gifting cars, etc that actively detract from the game, even ignoring the economy aspects of it all.

And like I've said in the past, yes, core/regular players are going to be less affected by this. But the more casual players? I think its quite unfair to them. These are the ones that are largely being targeted here. And I think that sucks.

It kinda hurts seeing all this play out like it has. I love Forza. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours invested in this series, going all the way back to the original, and its lousy seeing this series I love being tarnished as it has and seeing all the people justifiably outraged over it everywhere. Its one thing to lack night or weather, but this is more than a deal-breaker for some. Its a slap in the face.

That's a lot of words to say no.

All this talk of "a slap in the face" comes off as a bit disingenuous when you haven't even played it.

LeBoef

something regarding the game:
its strange to race on the new silverstone layout. took me just a few rounds on bathurst to memorize the track. but every time i am at silverstone i feel lost for a moment.

mrJared

Banned
LaFerrari cannot be bought separately.

of course... they know that's the one people want so they force you to pay $10 to get it. it's like the GTR all over again.

surprised there isn't more outrage over that, when the car is clearly done by launch and could be offered as a free download at the least, considering this is the lowest amount of cars ever shipped in this series.

how many of you all here paid for it? just curious.

/edit
one more thing. but thats more a game design problem.
you dont get into one special car. eg i started with my beloved golf II. after finishing the first league, you dont have a clue where else you can take it. so i had to get another car instead of tuning the golf farther. i feel like that after every league. that way i dont get any bond to a car at all.
am i the only one experiencing this?

If you go to the league select screen it will indicate which league your car is eligible for. It is written with overlayed text. Additionally, it will state if there is an affordable car to buy for any particular league.

flashmouth

Neo Member
but I also made so much money that driving never mattered after a while to earn cash. Looking at how it is I see what a shame that would be in f5 because it races so well.

Totally agree, I was kinda burned out fast by the old economy in FM4, so reading that T10 wants to emphasize on the credit system and car relationship I really thought this will be the right direction for the series.

But they went from one extreme to the other with FM5. You want to own most of the cars at some point of your career, you don't want to get them gifted, you want to really earn them through progress. But at the current stage there isn't really a vision how this can be achieved, when you get 10.000cr per win including bonuses and the most desirable cars are 6mio. Even if they would double the income from races, you'd still need 300 wins to buy a single top tier car. You can clearly see that there's something wrong with the ingame economy and I am very happy that they listened to all the complaints and are going to make some changes.
The announcements are a nice for now, but I hope they next updates brings some balance to the credit system AND fixes some of the other bugs mentioned.

There has to be some other kind of bonus at the end of a series, if you want people to grind, make it worth it.

Devildoll

- Trigger travel could perhaps be tweaked for a more gradual feel. At the moment, from low
While we may be in need of a better default setting.

Have you tried messing with the deadzones?
I saw a guy on a stream complain about this, then he messed around with the deadzones, and was pleased at it feeling more gradual.

saladine1

While we may be in need of a better default setting.

Have you tried messing with the deadzones?
I saw a guy on a stream complain about this, then he messed around with the deadzones, and was pleased at it feeling more gradual.

Yeah, I always adjust deadzone settings when I get the game. But it didn't really fix anything to be honest. Tried all sorts of settings but no matter what, the transition from low to high is just too quick and sensitive.
It's quite hard to find a sweet spot where I can keep a nice constant speed. I've resorted to tapping the trigger instead which isn't ideal at all..

Mascot

-Dedicated Drag Racing. I'm talking blowers and nitrous and Alcohol. I'm talking wheelie bars and working trees and staging sequences. Big crowds, big grandstands, big atmosphere!

-Dedicated Drift Racing. Don't know much about it but just copy the D1 stuff.

Ugh! No thanks. That stuff can fuck right off to Horizon 2 where it truly belongs (and they can take that Top Gear shit with them, too).

Don't go giving Turn 10 anything extra to do in FM6 beyond finally getting night back and adding wet tracks to a VASTLY increased roster of locations. Don't distract them with wanky stuff like drag and drift.

More focus is required, not added dilution.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't know.. don't work there sometimes things just don't work out... Don't know if they are doing as little as possible.. it might seem this way to outsiders, seems pretty harsh thing to say imo

It's always easy to say these things if you are not involved, and don't know all the facts and all the things that happened. (like ms demanding that Forza should be ready for launch, who knows, or not..)

But that they made mistakes, well that's a fact.

And in bringing back these features, won't be ready overnight.. Just shouting empty words into the air, guys we will add those features also won't work, if you can't deliver..

Like I said these things will take time.. that's a shame.
Its pretty darn obvious what happened, man. You'd have to be pretty naïve to think that this was just some honest mistake and they're hard at work on rectifying it all.

That's a lot of words to say no.

All this talk of "a slap in the face" comes off as a bit disingenuous when you haven't even played it.
I see you're just going to keep plugging that line to dismiss my comments, but I don't feel that anything I'm saying is unreasonable. Its definitely a slap in the face. Just because you're able to open your ass wide and accept it doesn't mean other people should have to.

That kind of depth in Drag and Drift is better left to dedicated games. The rest of the world outside the USA isn't that into drag racing - racing lights to lights along straight roads has rarely been part of European (and elsewhere) car culture. Our roads tend not to be that straight - we don't do grid system cities.

p3tran

Banned
so, I've been playing for a while...

DOES THIS GAME PLAY FUCKING AMAZING OR WHAT?

T10 must be looking at themselves in the mirror right now, with a sad look...
come out producing such a fuckin' fantastic racing game, and instead of them rising to WORSHIPED GOD status,
they have the mobs with the pitchforks after them BECAUSE "BUSINESS"

...hope they are not too old to learn...

saladine1

Ugh! No thanks. That stuff can fuck right off to Horizon 2 where it truly belongs (and they can take that Top Gear shit with them, too).

Don't go giving Turn 10 anything extra to do in FM6 beyond finally getting night back and adding wet tracks to a VASTLY increased roster of locations. Don't distract them with wanky stuff like drag and drift.

More focus is required, not added dilution.

Might be wanky to you but there's a shitload of people who are into those forms of motorsport.

The thing about other racing disciplines is that it adds some variety. I know sometimes I wish I can kick back and do something other than circuit race.
Variety is a good thing and we should be for it not against it.

That kind of depth in Drag and Drift is better left to dedicated games. The rest of the world outside the USA isn't that into drag racing - racing lights to lights along straight roads has rarely been part of European (and elsewhere) car culture. Our roads tend not to be that straight - we don't do grid system cities.

What games offer dedicated drag and drift which features hundreds of cars and customized options?

Nothing really.

A game like Forza with it's production values can offer so much in this regard. There's a multitude of people in the world who drag race and drift. Communities have built up leagues for Forza based on those disciplines.

I don't know, I just think maybe it's time to expand a little on that Motorsport part in Forza...

ShapeGSX

I'm actually fighting to win in this game. Not walking away with it. Not being steamrolled. Each race is different. I can end up in 1st place or 5th. Very satisfying.

Does the game stop rewarding you with a gold trophy when you don't come in 1st at some point? It is pretty generous with the gold trophies in the races I've done so far, which is fine with me.

ShapeGSX

Drag racing is mostly focused on vehicle setup. Driving does definitely factor in, but not in ways that Forza excels at. A great drag racing game would focus mostly on setup, data logged engine feedback, trying not to grenade the drivetrain, engine knock, timing advance, fuel mixture, clutch setup, and how it relates to traction, fixing and tuning in the limited time between rounds. Forza doesn't need that kind of focus.

But damn, I really want the game I just described!

I don't know, I just think maybe it's time to expand a little on that Motorsport part in Forza...

I'm all for that. And this iteration has - we've now got open wheelers so we've got IndyCar and Grand Prix racing. A return to some point-to-point stages for the rally cars would be good.

More motorsport would be good - but I'd rather that meant an expansion of the motorsport credentials of the current events. eg. some better pitlane options, longer races with fuel/tire strategy and at the very least a return of the optional one lap qualifying dash from earlier in the franchise. Fuel use and tire wear are there in the sim now - it's just not explored much by the game modes.

I think a very detailed exploration drag racing is too niche for a global market. Though I see no problem with a typically Forza level of inclusion, as long as I wasn't forced to ever do a drag or drift event.

Orca

I see you're just going to keep plugging that line to dismiss my comments, but I don't feel that anything I'm saying is unreasonable. Its definitely a slap in the face. Just because you're able to open your ass wide and accept it doesn't mean other people should have to.

I'm dismissing your comments because you have to 'assume' things like it'll cost more to own the same cars and upgrades.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed by the lack of auction house or other features cut, but to talk authoritatively about game progression without having played the game AT ALL is just talking out of your ass, every bit as much as the 'you can only ever earn $5,000 a race' people who have never touched the game - or, judging by their posts, any other Forza game - that dominate the microtransactions thread.

I've had no trouble getting the cars I want, tuned how I want. Of course I didn't expect to have the top car in the game day one without doing a ton of racing...sorry, I guess we're supposed to call it 'grinding' now, since actually driving in a racing game is an antiquated concept.

saladine1

I'm all for that. And this iteration has - we've now got open wheelers so we've got IndyCar and Grand Prix racing. A return to some point-to-point stages for the rally cars would be good.

More motorsport would be good - but I'd rather that meant an expansion of the motorsport credentials of the current events. eg. some better pitlane options, longer races with fuel/tire strategy and at the very least a return of the optional one lap qualifying dash from earlier in the franchise. Fuel use and tire wear are there in the sim now - it's just not explored much by the game modes.

I think a very detailed exploration drag racing is too niche for a global market. Though I see no problem with a typically Forza level of inclusion, as long as I wasn't forced to ever do a drag or drift event.

Well yeah, I'm not expecting a deep and detailed experience. Just offer some alternatives to circuit racing. I mean, I don't drift. I don't know how to. But I'd give it a go because it's motorsport.
That's what I love about games like SHIFT, GRID, TOCA, GT5..etc. Different disciplines for variety. Karting, drifting, Baja, P2P, Rally..etc

p3tran

Banned
Drag racing is mostly focused on vehicle setup. Driving does definitely factor in, but not in ways that Forza excels at. A great drag racing game would focus mostly on setup, data logged engine feedback, trying not to grenade the drivetrain, engine knock, timing advance, fuel mixture, clutch setup, and how it relates to traction, fixing and tuning in the limited time between rounds. Forza doesn't need that kind of focus.

But damn, I really want the game I just described!

well, yeah...

but IF these enhanced details are created for a specialized drag game,
then please also roll the enhanced engine structure (a/f , advance , boost, and their damage in relation to the parts you use to build (or not build) the engine) down to the next forza motorsport. this is my fucking vision for the game since forza 1. imagine...

ShowDog

I'm dismissing your comments because you have to 'assume' things like it'll cost more to own the same cars and upgrades.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed by the lack of auction house or other features cut, but to talk authoritatively about game progression without having played the game AT ALL is just talking out of your ass, every bit as much as the 'you can only ever earn $5,000 a race' people who have never touched the game - or, judging by their posts, any other Forza game - that dominate the microtransactions thread.

I've had no trouble getting the cars I want, tuned how I want. Of course I didn't expect to have the top car in the game day one without doing a ton of racing...sorry, I guess we're supposed to call it 'grinding' now, since actually driving in a racing game is an antiquated concept.

Sounds like we should all shell out the $60 to Turn 10 to participate in a discussion about their business practices. Hold on, let me get my wallet.

Orca

Sounds like we should all shell out the $60 to Turn 10 to participate in a discussion about their business practices. Hold on, let me get my wallet.

If you want to be taken seriously when talking about how progression works in the game, then yeah you probably need to have actually played it.

I mean look at the complaint he had about manufacturer's affinity being removed, asking for it to be tweaked instead. Guess what - it's not removed, it was tweaked into a cash reward that grows as your affinity grows.

p3tran

Banned
- cant find test drive while tuning

when entering the tuning / upgrade menu, just look at the bottom of the screen.
(Y to test drive)

but when I'm test driving, it sometimes brings up a percentage of ...drivatar syncronization?
what it that and what does it do? anybody knows?

Orca

when entering the tuning / upgrade menu, just look at the bottom of the screen.
(Y to test drive)

but when I'm test driving, it sometimes brings up a percentage of ...drivatar syncronization?
what it that and what does it do? anybody knows?

Updating your drivatar for the new vehicle I think.

Seanspeed

Banned

I am not assuming anything at all. I know how much the cars cost in this game. And I know that the payouts for races are roughly the same as before. Its everything else around it that has changed and I know exactly how that will change things.

As much as I've played Forza, this kind of thing is very intuitive for me. Its far from talking out of my ass. If you can argue against anything I've said specifically, feel free. Otherwise you're just trying to wholesale dismiss what I'm saying and its not fair.

I don't think I've once used the word 'grinding' as I agree with you that its very misleading to call it that, along with the negative connation that comes with it. But the changes definitely have an overall negative effect on the amount of cars and upgrades you will own compared to before. Emphasized that because that's my main point. It was put in at a detriment to make it so you have to buy everything on your own this time and will have less money to do so with. For people who put in a lot of time, it wont really be that big of an impact. But these are not the people being targeted, like I said.

Seriously man, I'm know what I'm saying here. I have probably invested more of my life playing Forza than you have, for what its worth.

p3tran

Banned
Updating your drivatar for the new vehicle I think.

and why it says for example "38%"?

my drivatar was hatched in the first five races. .
before this first set of races was over, I could not even map the clutch button to A button, let alone tune my car.

I understand that the game takes you by the hand in the first series, because many new players and all, but, is it so hard to have someone playtesting for vets?
give me an option to jump to my menus before racing for 30 minutes. and calculate my drivatar, AFTER I have set my controls and prepared my own car.

for any of you guys that you have seen my drivatar in your game.. how does it run? good or shit?

Orca

and why it says for example "38%"?

my drivatar was hatched in the first five races. .
before this first set of races was over, I could not even map the clutch button to A button, let alone tune my car.

I understand that the game takes you by the hand in the first series, because many new players and all, but, is it so hard to have someone playtesting for vets?
give me an option to jump to my menus before racing for 30 minutes. and calculate my drivatar, AFTER I have set my controls and prepared my own car.

for any of you guys that you have seen my drivatar in your game.. how does it run? good or shit?

From what I've read it keeps updating your Drivatar as you play. Seems likely each car, perhaps tune, would have its own Drivatar settings.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
alright, whose drivatar is this?

the cock sucker was constantly pushing me around the track in an aggressive manner. on this corner you can see how hard he was pushing to beat me to the corner. guess he began breaking a bit too late. it might not be realistic, especially for the difficulty i'm playing on, but i love this kind of stuff!

If you want to be taken seriously when talking about how progression works in the game, then yeah you probably need to have actually played it.

I mean look at the complaint he had about manufacturer's affinity being removed, asking for it to be tweaked instead. Guess what - it's not removed, it was tweaked into a cash reward that grows as your affinity grows.

May be I am in the minority here but I actually like how the reward work now. I found that in Forza 4, I would end up with cars reward that I don't care for or will never drive. I like that affinity would just give you cash so you can spend how you see fit.

Seriously, my only beef with this game is the lack of tracks. The driving is awesome. I am thinking how about instead of Forza 6, they just keep adding contents to this one.

p3tran

Banned
alright, whose drivatar is this?

the cock sucker was constantly pushing me around the track in an aggressive manner. on this corner you can see how hard he was pushing to beat me to the corner. guess he began breaking a bit too late. it might not be realistic, especially for the difficulty i'm playing on, but i love this kind of stuff!

cjelly? :D

I'm playing hardest drivatar level and no assists. maybe brake line when in new tracks.
the drivatars in my game, they seem to drive very well. occasionally I can spot when I'm in the tail of first driver, he pushes and pushes to remain in front (he does a good job) and maybe one turn he makes mistake, like little too wide and step out of the track, or maybe sloppy/late brakes othertimes.
just exactly like what may happen to me when I'm pushing hard.
I could say I am amazed at how this thing works.

cbox

The drivatars sound nuts, do they display the name of the player or gamertag the drivitar is being loaded from during a race?

May be I am in the minority here but I actually like how the reward work now. I found that in Forza 4, I would end up with cars reward that I don't care for or will never drive. I like that affinity would just give you cash so you can spend how you see fit.

Seriously, my only beef with this game is the lack of tracks. The driving is awesome. I am thinking how about instead of Forza 6, they just keep adding contents to this one.

I feel the same. I hope T10 doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The changes to focus on the worth of cars is a good one, I mostly like the new reward system. I do think it needs to be tweaked - some larger race rewards for more difficult events, level up bonus increasing each level - but otherwise they should keep the current system.

I think all the hysteria (mainly by people who haven't played the game) about tokens and microtransactions might have the unintended consequences of destroying this new gameplay model that puts car ownership as the focus. I like the new use of affinity too - it makes much more sense to earn every time you race a brand of car - without making parts completely free. F4 was too easy to max out affinity.

This game truly is amazing and one of the real next gen launch games. A good portion of those complaining that it takes 400+ hours of playtime to get access to cars or 300 races to afford the most expensive car obviously do not own the game and have not played it. There are many avenues beside race payouts to earn credits...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I feel the same. I hope T10 doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The changes to focus on the worth of cars is a good one, I mostly like the new reward system. I do think it needs to be tweaked - some larger race rewards for more difficult events, level up bonus increasing each level - but otherwise they should keep the current system.

I think all the hysteria (mainly by people who haven't played the game) about tokens and microtransactions might have the unintended consequences of destroying this new gameplay model that puts car ownership as the focus. I like the new use of affinity too - it makes much more sense to earn every time you race a brand of car - without making parts completely free. F4 was too easy to max out affinity.

yeah, i'd say the only adjustment should be continuing to increase payouts for increasing driver level.

Top Bottom