• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Playing GT6 has made me realize I should be playing Forza 5 with a wheel too. When are the first cross platform models expected to come out?

ZQQLANDER

Got a question about using the clutch. I'm pressing LB+B(X) to shift up/down but for some reason I think I'm doing it wrong. After 6 laps or so the engine begins to whine and the rest of my laps are dirty. Any suggestions?

Lima

Got a question about using the clutch. I'm pressing LB+B(X) to shift up/down but for some reason I think I'm doing it wrong. After 6 laps or so the engine begins to whine and the rest of my laps are dirty. Any suggestions?

Put the clutch on A and press both buttons with your thumb when shifting up or down.

elektrixx

Banned
Why can't I redeem anymore Forza rewards from their site? The button's not there and I've tried a different browser too.

There are three rewards that will expire in 23 days and I can't redeem them.

I've only started doing this since Forza 5 launched so I'm not sure if it's working as normal or not.

Krilekk

Banned
Why can't I redeem anymore Forza rewards from their site? The button's not there and I've tried a different browser too.

There are three rewards that will expire in 23 days and I can't redeem them.

I've only started doing this since Forza 5 launched so I'm not sure if it's working as normal or not.

Site has been buggy all week. Anybody else have to log in your Live account every time you go there? It used to be once a day.

saladine1

My mate the lucky bastard found a wheel here. He's fucking raving about it. He said it shits on the Fanatec in terms of feedback. He also says that Prague in particular feels completely different with the wheel.

Prick.

Krilekk

Banned
This game. Finally bought a digital copy in addition to the LCE, got tired of switching discs considering I'll be playing Forza for months to come.

Jube3

Here is the start of my first paint, its an early WIP of the Silver Surfer on a Chrome GT-R. I'm painting around the surfer to use the the chrome of the car to fill out his body. I'm going to experiment with gradients on top of the chrome to add a bit of color to the Surfer without losing the chrome. I'll be doing the logo and the stars this way as well so hopefully it comes out cool. I should have this done tomorrow hopefully.

11251606966_3d5923cdc5_z.jpg

Your getting off the accelerator when shifting right?

SarBear

Here is the start of my first paint, its an early WIP of the Silver Surfer on a Chrome GT-R. I'm painting around the surfer to use the the chrome of the car to fill out his body. I'm going to experiment with gradients on top of the chrome to add a bit of color to the Surfer without losing the chrome. I'll be doing the logo and the stars this way as well so hopefully it comes out cool. I should have this done tomorrow hopefully.

11251606966_3d5923cdc5_z.jpg

Nice!

Are you guys still doing GWD sessions this time around??

saladine1

Just had some time with my mate's wheel.

Damn, going back to the controller is going to be brutal!

I have to say, the wheel is certainly a step up from the Fanatec. The FF and rumble effects are glorious. You can feel every little bit of information feeding down to the wheel. Understeer/oversteer are actually quite pronounced in terms of feeling. In Prague for example, you can feel various surface types quite distinctly. It's a very nice feeling.

The wheel itself is actually pretty nice to hold. The pedals although looking basic, actually does a decent job in terms of brake and throttle pedal resistance. Pretty similar to the CS pedals in that regard but obviously not as good.
Really needs a shifter and clutch though. Using paddle shift in the Hakosuka Skyline is ridiculous to say the least.

lol, I jumped on thinking it will be the same as FM4. Sim settings all around and go drive like there's no tomorrow. Ah, no. No.
You have to be on your fucking toes with the wheel in sim. Even the 'shitbox' cars are hard to drive at the limit. Fucking lift off oversteer mutherfucker. Tank slappers galore. Throttle control. Braking. Steering...Every thing needs to be 'handled with extreme care'. You know what, it kind of reminds me of Richard Burns Rally in that it looks like a game but it doesn't behave like one.

I have to say, after getting to grips with the wheel and handling model, I experienced some of the best racing I've had in a while. The visuals, the sound, the wheel, the physics, the V8 Supercar and Mount Panorama....man o man o man...

p3tran

Banned
very good to know Sal.

and guess what? crazy amazon yesterday send me an email talking about end of january,
but today i woke up to an email saying i will be receiving my wheel ..december 16!! w00t!!

in other news, I am genuinely in love with the bugatti veyron. I mean, I like the shape and tech but HATED the way it drove in f4 and elsewhere.
but boy, is it the proper supercar in forza 5!!!!

I bought the agera thinking I could "not bother" with veyron, but after doing the spa rivals thing....... OMG how it drives!!!
Now I am in desperate need of 2.000.000 more credits to buy one like IMMEDIATELY!! :)))))))))

here is the victory drifts right after I pass the finish, setting a well-into top 100 time in rivals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPb0Yq6VG8&hd=1

the way it handles, it sounds, it feels..
this car is (finally) the shit! 8)

Just had some time with my mate's wheel.

Damn, going back to the controller is going to be brutal!

I have to say, the wheel is certainly a step up from the Fanatec. The FF and rumble effects are glorious. You can feel every little bit of information feeding down to the wheel. Understeer/oversteer are actually quite pronounced in terms of feeling. In Prague for example, you can feel various surface types quite distinctly. It's a very nice feeling.

The wheel itself is actually pretty nice to hold. The pedals although looking basic, actually does a decent job in terms of brake and throttle pedal resistance. Pretty similar to the CS pedals in that regard but obviously not as good.
Really needs a shifter and clutch though. Using paddle shift in the Hakosuka Skyline is ridiculous to say the least.

lol, I jumped on thinking it will be the same as FM4. Sim settings all around and go drive like there's no tomorrow. Ah, no. No.
You have to be on your fucking toes with the wheel in sim. Even the 'shitbox' cars are hard to drive at the limit. Fucking lift off oversteer mutherfucker. Tank slappers galore. Throttle control. Braking. Steering...Every thing needs to be 'handled with extreme care'. You know what, it kind of reminds me of Richard Burns Rally in that it looks like a game but it doesn't behave like one.

I have to say, after getting to grips with the wheel and handling model, I experienced some of the best racing I've had in a while. The visuals, the sound, the wheel, the physics, the V8 Supercar and Mount Panorama....man o man o man...

Sound great.

What does the Manettino dial do, is it a dummy or can you adjust assists on the fly?

I think it opens up a direct skype line to dan greenawalt :) used for realistic swearing while racing lol

In my dreams it does.

On another note the buyer for my wheel has done a dissapearing act.

Spent an hour dissembling the wheel stand, cleaned and boxed it all up and rearranged tonight's plans so we could meet.

Playing it cool at the moment but I'm beginning to rage inside.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I wish T10 would allow mid race set up changes that you could have in real life like T/C and brake bias.

You can do it in Race Room and it's awesome.

saladine1

I wish T10 would allow mid race set up changes that you could have in real life like T/C and brake bias.

You can do it in Race Room and it's awesome.

Yeah, would really come in handy.
I also think they need to include the option to tune before a race too. Why that's missing is beyond me..

And, pedal travel(controller) needs to be revised. At the moment, 100% throttle is achieved at just over half way of being depressed...at 100% outside deadzone..
This is why people are spinning out too often. It really needs to be looked at.

eso76

I just noticed there's no motion blur during replays, or very very little, actually lower shutter angle than ingame. Strange that the game would have motion blur in game at 60fps and none during 30fps replays.

Also, auto upgrade and having to race against upgraded cars all the time in career makes no sense. Another instance of democracy ruining things :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there like...regular music in the OST somewhere? Or is it all the operatic/orchestral stuff?

m23

Is there like...regular music in the OST somewhere? Or is it all the operatic/orchestral stuff?

I think it's just the orchestral stuff, no licensed music.

I really don't feel like going through career mode anymore, these 2 lap races are really annoying. I'm at the point where I have to turn down the difficulty because 2 laps isn't enough for me to catch up to the top 3.

Klocker

Music is incredible imo...

It is still done by Lance Hayes who did 3-4-5 I think?

Soundtracks for 3,4,5 are all on xbox music pass. (4 is the best imo). I Can listen to that all day.

Wouldn't be an issue for those who do not appreciate it if the bone would let you stream background music like 360. It's got to be a feature to be added.

Music is incredible imo...

It is still done by Lance Hayes who did 3-4-5 I think?

Sure is.

The orchestral score can be suitably epic in the midst of a close race, but also hilariously overblown when superminis and hatchbacks are knocking over cardboard cutouts on the Top Gear test track. I usually have it turned off because as much as I appreciate Hayes' work on Forza's audio, I enjoy Wiswell's even more.

You'd have to put a bullet in me to get me to turn off the menu music, though. So fucking relaxing.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Also, auto upgrade and having to race against upgraded cars all the time in career makes no sense. Another instance of democracy ruining things :p

Upgraded cars can be turned off can't they? Besides, it's better than racing standard cars in which only 1, maybe 2 are actually remotely competitive for the class.

Yeah, would really come in handy.
I also think they need to include the option to tune before a race too. Why that's missing is beyond me..

And, pedal travel(controller) needs to be revised. At the moment, 100% throttle is achieved at just over half way of being depressed...at 100% outside deadzone..
This is why people are spinning out too often. It really needs to be looked at.

Likely a manufacturing problem if 100% deadzone doesn't change anything.

Sounds like the DS3 to me, nothing nothing nothing than in the space of 3 mm you go from 0 to 100% throttle than nothing past that. Such a bad controller for racing.

Hawk269

Looking for more people that play this game for MP and competing for lap times and sharing Drivatar. Feel free to add me to your list if you would like.

GamerTag: Hawk269

Any proud owners of McLaren M23 here? Here is something you might like, enjoy guys ;)

Oh and please remember to like it and actually use it otherwise I don't get paid. Didn't make a single credit from paints yet, the new share and reward system is just stupid.

11283990105_5e71912bba_b.jpg

11284045616_97fe0b2024_b.jpg

11283990845_f918ca4ef2_b.jpg

saladine1

lol, just realized that instead of the stupid procedure of continuing to the next race in order to quit can be worked around by restarting the race and then quitting in that menu.

I know, it's messed up.

Klocker

lol, just realized that instead of the stupid procedure of continuing to the next race in order to quit can be worked around by restarting the race and then quitting in that menu.

I know, it's messed up.

Nice workaround thanks

Do not understand that oversight

Krilekk

Banned
Just checked the Leaderboards on the first race. 416880 people. Seems like the game is doing pretty well.

Up to 450.000 now.

I experienced the strangest thing the day before yesterday. Drivatars seem to have finally reached a level where they are no longer a group of car destroying maniacs. I felt a real difficulty spike, I'm actually struggling to win a lot of races now. It's very entertaining, haven't restarted a single race yet. I'm wondering if Turn 10 did something or if it's just the normal progression of the better Drivatars reaching more sync (I'm at 61 % myself) and thus driving better. Suddenly AI cars are overtaking me by braking later and taking advantage if I don't cover the inside line. And it's not just the top 2 cars anymore, it's the first eight or so cars that really try to fight me (expert Drivatars). As soon as there are events involving traffic they're back to stupid though. If this continues as players get better Drivatars could really be something after all. I even recognized some Drivatars stopped braking at Yas Marina turn 2 or Eau Rouge in Spa. I wonder if there might come a time where Drivatars on unbeatable are literally unbeatable.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Hopefully the trend continues.

Drivatar, while joked at, always had a chance of being an absolute game changer in the racing genre and it looks to be heading that way in reality.

StratJ

Banned
I experienced the strangest thing the day before yesterday. Drivatars seem to have finally reached a level where they are no longer a group of car destroying maniacs. I felt a real difficulty spike, I'm actually struggling to win a lot of races now. It's very entertaining, haven't restarted a single race yet. I'm wondering if Turn 10 did something or if it's just the normal progression of the better Drivatars reaching more sync (I'm at 61 % myself) and thus driving better. Suddenly AI cars are overtaking me by braking later and taking advantage if I don't cover the inside line. And it's not just the top 2 cars anymore, it's the first eight or so cars that really try to fight me (expert Drivatars). As soon as there are events involving traffic they're back to stupid though. If this continues as players get better Drivatars could really be something after all. I even recognized some Drivatars stopped braking at Yas Marina turn 2 or Eau Rouge in Spa. I wonder if there might come a time where Drivatars on unbeatable are literally unbeatable.
I agree with you 100%. Even on unbeatable at the start, the cars infront of me would be having a destruction derby. I race with assists of and on unbeatable and it's got to quite the struggle. It really does feel like I'm racing real folk sometimes.

Even when you rewind and attempt something again, the AI do different actions.

saladine1

Up to 450.000 now.

I think you are right.
For a little while there, the Drivatars were smashing into me and every other car, but for the last few days, things seem to have changed. They seem to be smarter and a little more aware of positions on the track. I've had some of the best racing lately.
Don't know what's responsible for that though..

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I think you are right.
For a little while there, the Drivatars were smashing into me and every other car, but for the last few days, things seem to have changed. They seem to be smarter and a little more aware of positions on the track. I've had some of the best racing lately.
Don't know what's responsible for that though..

T10 probably roll out drivatar updates on a weekly basis or something.

saladine1

T10 probably roll out drivatar updates on a weekly basis or something.

Maybe.

Someone on FM.net is suggesting perhpas 6-7 tracks to come. Getting 100% sync on all tracks yields 85% total sync.

Also, the RX8 has some amazing front end grip and great balance overall. Never noticed this in previous games..

Top Bottom