• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

The_Monk

You can't get an Xbox One where you are?

In theory I can. I knew a local store who have been amazing with me as a customer so far. They also have a store in the UK so they manage to get some Xbox One units to Portugal (which is where I am) but they only had a couple of them and I couldn't pay the price. Ordering one across overseas is a bit risky to me in case there's a problem with it, sending it back, paying for shipping, etc can be an investment that, right now I'm not ready to make. Not a problem, I know better times will come! Meanwhile I'll be checking this fine thread with you all. ;)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Played some FM4 yesterday and I'm really not sure how you guys are coping without the 'Ring, Nurb F1, Road America, Suzuka, Maple Valley, Mugello, Sunset, Camino, Fujimi and the rest of the omissions.

Hell, I was even enjoying Hockenheim.

this post makes me sad

op_ivy

3x expansion packs.

better now?

you misunderstood. i'm sad that mascot left out positano!

jk

that does help a bit, yes. though i hope most of the expansion tracks are brand new to the series.

skyfinch

So even with the lack of content, I have to say this is the best racing game I've ever played. The game physics and ai are phenomenal. Graphics are the smoothest I've seen on a console racing game, and not enough can be said about the sound.

sounds dumb for a person to buy a $500 console for one game, but I know fm5 is the foundation for what will be an amazing series.

now give me back nurburgring, Fuji kiedo (or however it is spelt), maple valley, and Infineon.

acksman

My wheel has been delayed with this ice storm. Looks like it will finally deliver today! Can't wait to see how much of a difference it will make.

p3tran

Banned
So even with the lack of content, I have to say this is the best racing game I've ever played. The game physics and ai are phenomenal. Graphics are the smoothest I've seen on a console racing game, and not enough can be said about the sound.

sounds dumb for a person to buy a $500 console for one game, but I know fm5 is the foundation for what will be an amazing series.

now give me back nurburgring, Fuji kiedo (or however it is spelt), maple valley, and Infineon.

yeap, the lowest ever scoring forza, is EASILY the best forza ever.
just needs a little finetuning in some things.

and it doesnt sound dumb. for many of us, the forza cost is north of a thousand euros.
500euro (bone) 450euro (wheel) 50euro (car pass) and UNDISCLOSED euros (expansion packs)
and of course 60/80euro the price of the game

add the other games and even the ps4 and you got yourself a rather ..expensive foundation :) happening in the duration of a single month

p.s.
about that ...finetuning....
I think I am going to break something next time I log in to forza and see messages "tuning rewards", "livery rewards", and i open up and it says "you are doing good, people are using your stuff, maybe some day you will get credits for it" I mean FUCK THIS SHIT already!! :D
Forza owes me about 10mil already!! enough with the stupid IOU's everyday!! :D

h3rtz, how much does forza automation pays you for your fantastic paintjobs? is it anything close to the forza marketplace economy numbers?

saladine1

The only reason I bought the thing was because of Forza 5. I played FM4 for hours on end every day from it's launch right up to FM5's launch. FM5 will be no different right up till FM6.

Yes, at the moment things are a little on the short side content wise, but that will no doubt evolve for the better. As you mentioned, the physics and sound is phenomenal. Throw in some gorgeous visuals and great AI, and you have one hell of an experience on your hands..

My wheel has been delayed with this ice storm. Looks like it will finally deliver today! Can't wait to see how much of a difference it will make.
Oh, it'll make a difference alright...

HokieJoe

got my new set today. boy does forza look good in 1080p and in 60"!

11299914756_ca9b32a4a3_c.jpg

apologies for the not so hot picture - not really sure how to get a decent off screen picture of a tv

Congrats dude! Is that Panny plasma?

zorbsie

Used some tokens to buy XP doubler. Gaining levels like crazy! The only downside is time (in my case 1 hour) is based on real time passage, not in race. So you can imagine with all those unskippable animations at the end of the race and the time it takes to load each track I probably only had about 40 minutes of double XP. And if you start a race with a couple minutes left but not enough to cover the race, you get no bonus at the end of the race. Wish this boost was more like Battlefield 4, where the boost only ticks down while you're actually playing the game and not while it's loading. kind of a bummer.

The Lotus F1 is so much fun to drive. It's worlds apart from everything else. Reactions need to be razor sharp. When everything clicks though, it's like driving on rails...with traction control on of course...

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll keep on saving then!

Also do you guys drive the Atom with traction control on, I have been trying to race with it off and I seem to lose control really easily. It is the only car I am having issues getting the hang of.

fanduck

Used some tokens to buy XP doubler. Gaining levels like crazy! The only downside is time (in my case 1 hour) is based on real time passage, not in race. So you can imagine with all those unskippable animations at the end of the race and the time it takes to load each track I probably only had about 40 minutes of double XP. And if you start a race with a couple minutes left but not enough to cover the race, you get no bonus at the end of the race. Wish this boost was more like Battlefield 4, where the boost only ticks down while you're actually playing the game and not while it's loading. kind of a bummer.

I did this as well. I got 2 hours of double XP. After 5 races, I had a little over an hour left. I decided to take a break from gaming and watch tv. Later on I opened Forza again and no longer had any double XP time remaining. I didn't care too much, but I will definitely not be making that mistake again. All my coins will be spent on Cars and Upgrades only.

saladine1

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll keep on saving then!

Also do you guys drive the Atom with traction control on, I have been trying to race with it off and I seem to lose control really easily. It is the only car I am having issues getting the hang of.

Yeah, the Atom is really tricky to drive. Tried for a long time without TC but just couldn't get it together. Also, it really benefits from a 2 way diff because it's a lift off oversteer beast!

lil smoke

Banned
Damn.
Bottom of page 4. It's like that huh?

Well, I kinda like the game so far. Day 2. The actual racing is very good.

Also with this rewards thing, and my overly competitive spirit, I am all day thinking of the most efficient way to get some points, by the time I get home to play. I think that's the way also to get some CR in my account.

edit: oh yeah. Average drivatars. They SUCK. Who are these people? Bring the difficulty up and it actually becomes easier LOL.

Snubbers

Thanks to who-ever posted the Thrustmaster TX @ micom, I ordered yesterday evening and just got the e-mail to say it's dispatched, so £235 delivered is worth a punt..

Not sure about the pedals (I have the Fanatec Clubsports), I may actually get a scope on their and see if what would be involved in getting the club sports working on the TX..

Hopefully I'll at least get back to FM5 which I had to stop playing due to my preference for a wheel..

2beep

Banned
Thanks to who-ever posted the Thrustmaster TX @ micom, I ordered yesterday evening and just got the e-mail to say it's dispatched, so £235 delivered is worth a punt..

Not sure about the pedals (I have the Fanatec Clubsports), I may actually get a scope on their and see if what would be involved in getting the club sports working on the TX..

Hopefully I'll at least get back to FM5 which I had to stop playing due to my preference for a wheel..

np :3, but i dont think that the csp would work, you could try to get t500 pedals + basher break mod

Snubbers

np :3, but i dont think that the csp would work, you could try to get t500 pedals + basher break mod

Someone over on FM.NET posted how he'd decoded the CSPs, simple serial @ 250KBaud, so if I can figure out the TX Pedal input, it's either going to be some serial connection or pure analogue, so I should be able to use one of a myriad of ARM dev boards I have to knock something together..

I'm sure it won't be too simple, but it looks like enough people are slowly understanding all the manufacturers pedal connections!

Yeah, the Atom is really tricky to drive. Tried for a long time without TC but just couldn't get it together. Also, it really benefits from a 2 way diff because it's a lift off oversteer beast!

Good to know I am not terrible then, I'll turn on TC and just enjoy driving it now then as I have come to hate it without TC.

I tried to get another race online today but it always seems like I only find lobbies with 1 or 2 people. Am I selecting the wrong categories or are there better search options for lobbies with more people?

Got mine today (thanks 2beep) Micom were fast.

Jesus I'd lying if my first thought wasn't that I'd made a huge mistake in ditching the CSR Elite, this wheel is like a little plastic toy, the rim is seriously cheap and tiny.

Well the whole lot cost half of what I paid for the Fanatec.

Struggling to mount it to my stand at the moment but hopefully try some PC stuff soon.

Mascot

Got mine today (thanks 2beep) Micom were fast.

Jesus I'd lying if my first thought wasn't that I'd made a huge mistake in ditching the CSR Elite, this wheel is like a little plastic toy, the rim is seriously cheap and tiny.

Well the whole lot cost half of what I paid for the Fanatec.

Struggling to mount it to my stand at the moment but hopefully try some PC stuff soon.

Look forward to your review!

I saw over on the iRacing forums that John Bodin, who makes a bunch of TM mods, is doing an adapter for the TX that allows G25/27 pedals to be used. X1 compatible. Before Christmas, $20-ish.

OK, probably only useful if you've got some Logi pedals hanging around, or to save a little cash over TM's new triple pedals, but there you have it.

Mascot

I saw over on the iRacing forums that John Bodin, who makes a bunch of TM mods, is doing an adapter for the TX that allows G25/27 pedals to be used. X1 compatible. Before Christmas, $20-ish.

OK, probably only useful if you've got some Logi pedals hanging around, or to save a little cash over TM's new triple pedals, but there you have it.
I used to really like my G27 pedals. Nice progressive feel, nice resistance.

Look forward to your review!

Not really fair to compare the TX to the CSRE but I'll do it anyway, build quality wise the TX is middling to poor, very plasicky and I have a sticky button.

Base build quality is comparable to a G series, force feedback is decent, responds faster than the Fanatec GT2 but the tiny light rim may have a lot to do with that. There's a hollow noise and faint notchyness in steering which I wasn't expecting and while resisting the motors I can also feel a buzz, hum or something. It feels electrical.

This wheel base demands a better rim at least, the Fanatec was special because it often felt so good you'd forget it was there working away behind the scenes but of course it cost a hell of a lot more.

Not really fair to compare the TX to the CSRE but I'll do it anyway, build quality wise the TX is middling to poor, very plasicky and I have a sticky button.

Base build quality is comparable to a G series, force feedback is decent, responds faster than the Fanatec GT2 but the tiny light rim may have a lot to do with that. There's a hollow noise and faint notchyness in steering which I wasn't expecting and while resisting the motors I can also feel a buzz, hum or something. It feels electrical.

This wheel base demands a better rim at least, the Fanatec was special because it often felt so good you'd forget it was there working away behind the scenes but of course it cost a hell of a lot more.

That's probably the power supply which got relocated inside the base for the TX. It really shows how different the TX is to the 500 - 30% smaller AND the colossal power brick has been internalized.

h3rtz, how much does forza automation pays you for your fantastic paintjobs? is it anything close to the forza marketplace economy numbers?

So far I got nothing. If you not gonna hit certain number of daily usage (not sure how much is it) you don't get anything.

I miss storefront so much. T10 don't get it why we put free paints on the storefront in FM3 nad FM4.. We did it so people can get anything they want for free but we had the option for a donation for people that would like to support us and give us some credits if they feel like it.

We had vinyl groups for downloads with price range from 10K to 50K and if anyone would like to donate something, he would simple buy one of the donation vinyl groups and we would get the money.

So far I got nothing, can't afford a lot of cars to paint them either. If I race I don't paint, If I paint I don't make credits racing so no new cars to paint. In previous Forza games we could share logo work to speed things up, gift cars so we would buy different cars and gift them to each other so we can paint cars we don't have at the moment etc. The new system is terrible and I'm not happy with it. I'll make a few more paints and if I won't make any credits with them I'll stop making designs.

A lot of painters didn't switch to Forza 5 because of the lack of the storefront. I talk to a lot of them and they won't paint in Forza 5, if storefront isn't back they won't paint in Forza 6 either. Even if you check the paints available now it's very little good looking paints or high quality replicas, cause very few top painters switch to Forza 5 and it looks like it's gonna stay that way.

Storefront was the best option to share paints, logos and tunes, it was taken away from us and new terrible system is now in place.

So I just got this yesterday. I wasn't able to log on to forzamotorsports.net. It claims that I don't have an XBL username... when clearly I do.

Are there other sources for "free" fake money? I'd like to buy a few cars (what a travesty, really...) but don't want to spend USD for fake money.

pixlexic

Banned
So I just got this yesterday. I wasn't able to log on to forzamotorsports.net. It claims that I don't have an XBL username... when clearly I do.

Are there other sources for "free" fake money? I'd like to buy a few cars (what a travesty, really...) but don't want to spend USD for fake money.

just win some races.

op_ivy

Congrats dude! Is that Panny plasma?

yup. s60. was worried about reflections based on what i read before buying sight unseen, but they were unfounded. i mean, its reflective, but its not a big issue. the set is gorgeous. so very happy with it.

That's probably the power supply which got relocated inside the base for the TX. It really shows how different the TX is to the 500 - 30% smaller AND the colossal power brick has been internalized.

Yeah possible, it's not a squeal but ramping up the force feedback it doesn't feel healthy at all

For £230 the wheel is decent value, If they'd spent £75 more on materials and sold it for £100 more it'd become a great wheel.

It's an upgrade from a Logitech G25 and give or take a few things a side grade from something like a standard CSR.

yup. s60. was worried about reflections based on what i read before buying sight unseen, but they were unfounded. i mean, its reflective, but its not a big issue. the set is gorgeous. so very happy with it.

S60 is a really great TV for the price, great picture quality and not much input lag. I have VT60 65' and got it calibrated just before I got xbox one and oh my god, Forza looks fantastic.

Someone over on FM.NET posted how he'd decoded the CSPs, simple serial @ 250KBaud, so if I can figure out the TX Pedal input, it's either going to be some serial connection or pure analogue, so I should be able to use one of a myriad of ARM dev boards I have to knock something together..

I'm sure it won't be too simple, but it looks like enough people are slowly understanding all the manufacturers pedal connections!

Glad I kept the CSPs now.

Do you know if the guy is working on an adapter or just releasing the info?

jond76

Banned
So it won't let you log in for the rewards?

I'm having the same issue. I've raced a few races (about 5), thought I'd check out the site, but couldn't log in. I click "sign-in" and it just refreshes the page. If I go to the rewards page, it tells me I don't have a gamertag. Weird.

Top Bottom