• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Yeah, as I recall, ESM was the first team running a 458 in the 'States to switch to a paddle-shift 'box in 2011. Risi stuck with the sequential stick for a little while longer.

BADNED, has there been any word on whether Forza will continue to have a partnership with TUSC next year and beyond? Also, any chance we'll see the TS030 in FM5?

Mitch Dyer of IGN just asked what Forza fans would want to know about Forza 5 future and changes on twitter:

Forza fans: If you could talk to Turn 10 about Forza 5's future and changes, what would you want to know?

Presumably he's going to be interviewing someone from Turn10, just thought you would like to know so you can make sure you get the info you want.

Brick

I am debating between this an Gran Turismo 6. I've never played a simulation racing game before, but have always been intrigued by them. Does this do a good job of easing in newer players? Also, do the Microtransactions hurt the in-game economy nearly as much as people are saying, or is that just internet hyperbole?

I am debating between this an Gran Turismo 6. I've never played a simulation racing game before, but have always been intrigued by them. Does this do a good job of easing in newer players? Also, do the Microtransactions hurt the in-game economy nearly as much as people are saying, or is that just internet hyperbole?

It's internet hyperbole.

It's very easy to get into Forza. My four year old son has been playing it this week. With assists on he's been having a lot of fun.

The AI is much better on Forza 5 than i've seen in other games. Not felt any need to use micro transactions, if you go to the Forza rewards site you can get credits to use in-game from stuff you've done whilst playing (no real money needed) so no need to worry about that from my perspective.

Game is great and lots to do. Jump in!

lil smoke

Banned
The AI is much better on Forza 5 than i've seen in other games. Not felt any need to use micro transactions, if you go to the Forza rewards site you can get credits to use in-game from stuff you've done whilst playing (no real money needed) so no need to worry about that from my perspective.

Game is great and lots to do. Jump in!

What drivatar level are you using?

I'm not sure how I feel about the new system yet. I'd almost like half drivatar, half last gen AI all together on track.

Sometimes it feels like driving thru Track Days, sometimes it's hilarious watching the AI battle each other for a change, often though, I ruin my lap times by trying to gently get around without penalty. With all last gen AI, you knew what they were going to do, and you could maintain speed everywhere.

I am using the 2nd top level, I think those last few drivers have a bit rubberbandery skill shifting going on.

I sort of played GT3 back when I was a wee lad, had no clue what was happening and quit after maybe ten hours. This is my first sim since, and it's quite nice and was really easy to get into. There are some weird UI things, but the racing is lots of fun if you actually want to make a go at learning how to drive. I own a golf tdi in real life, and have no aspirations for purchasing anything better...but this game makes me realize why there are people that obsess over automobiles. It's delectable.

(I'm biased though, check my profile).

frontieruk

I sort of played GT3 back when I was a wee lad, had no clue what was happening and quit after maybe ten hours. This is my first sim since, and it's quite nice and was really easy to get into. There are some weird UI things, but the racing is lots of fun if you actually want to make a go at learning how to drive. I own a golf tdi in real life, and have no aspirations for purchasing anything better...but this game makes me realize why there are people that obsess over automobiles. It's delectable.

(I'm biased though, check my profile).

Dan's beard got shorter upon hearing his game hasn't turned you into a car lover... REPENT!

We're taking a look at the issues some users are having regarding logging into the Forza Rewards/Forza Motorsport website, hopefully we'll be able to get this recitified v.soon.

Thanks for looking into this. FWIW, I've tried all the non-webkit browsers (IE/FF/Old Opera). Another thing seems to be that it still shows the "sign-in" button active in this state, even after logging in. So it seems to be some kind of federation issue most likely.

Bgamer90

Banned
How are you guys liking Drivitars?

I don't like the feature much to be honest. So much bumping/crashing in my races now. I keep many settings "sim" (like damage for example) so it has been pretty frustrating.

Wish there were user settings for it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, that's about the most annoying thing about career mode. It totally destroys everything they tried to achieve with Drivatars because you still race to third place within the first lap and then just stay there. If you drive clean you have no chance to actually win a race in a lot of cases because by the time you're third the first and second are far gone.

They should make it optional how many laps you want in any single event. And they should finally offer some sort of rudimentary optional qualifying (1 lap time trial), it just sucks to start from the back of the pack. Especially when even at Drivatars at Pro and Expert most of your opponents behave like brain dead rowdies. Breaking in the middle of turns where there is no need to do so, leading to constant crashes. The game would probably be unplayable without rewind. The first turns are a constant nightmare, not because everybody is so good but because they are so unpredictably bad.

This is spot on.

I never had to use rewind in Forza 3 and 4 but I'm definitely using it in Forza 5. Hard to have clean straightforward (sim) races.

Pretty frustrating.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
drivatars are amazing and a huge step up from any racer ai i've ever played. occasionally they are pretty bump happy, and some tracks have turns that seem to really cause cluster fucks (le mans turn 1, looking at you), but even then it feels more natural and real then ever before. its not perfect and the highest difficulty really should be faster, cause less mistakes, and race clean, but the ai is still the biggest leap fm5 has taken over past games. its that good.

Bgamer90

Banned
drivatars are amazing and a huge step up from any racer ai i've ever played. occasionally they are pretty bump happy, and some tracks have turns that seem to really cause cluster fucks (le mans turn 1, looking at you), but even then it feels more natural and real then ever before. its not perfect and the highest difficulty really should be faster, cause less mistakes, and race clean, but the ai is still the biggest leap fm5 has taken over past games. its that good.

I just got a wheel so I've been playing Forza 5 a lot for the past two days.

While Forza 4 AI felt dead at times, I think I preferred it over Drivatars since I had good, clean, enjoyable races. Noticing that I can't really "play sim" anymore.At the same time though, it's harder to play aggressive (bump/shove) since I have the damage on sim (instead of cosmetic).

So yeah, it has just been really hard for me to find a good balance when it comes to the game's settings.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just got a wheel so I've been playing Forza 5 a lot for the past two days.

While Forza 4 AI felt dead at times, I think I preferred it over Drivatars since I had good, clean, enjoyable races. Noticing that I can't really "play sim" anymore.At the same time though, it's harder to play aggressive (bump/shove) since I have the damage on sim (instead of cosmetic).

So yeah, it has just been really hard for me to find a good balance when it comes to the game's settings.

i get that you could predict what the ai would do and easily pass them and get clean races, but its not nearly as satisfying IMO as clean passes and battles for position as in 5. its light years harder to finish a lap, even a 2 or 3 lap one, without collisions or trading paint then 4, but its oh so much more intense.

and fuck i want a wheel soooo bad. the physics are just begging for it AND sim steering truly seems sim this time out.

Warewolf

Glad to see FM5 has still fostered a community above all of the changes. Enjoy your racing guys! I haven't touched it since November 25th, still feels like a complete shambles to me.

Klocker

I don't like the feature much to be honest. So much bumping/crashing in my races now. I keep many settings "sim" (like damage for example) so it has been pretty frustrating.

Love them now... boosted it to highly skilled and expert and seeing very good races.

Not sure how many people own Zonda in game already, but if anyone has one there will be something cool coming this weekend from my paintshop ;)

Here are some work in progress pictures, paint should be done by the end of the day on Saturday. Still have to do some base design and some logo work ;)

11333881295_a6800d7e05_c.jpg

11333954896_283cdf3a88_c.jpg

11333881905_1e4aeb1238_c.jpg

Klocker

oh shit ^^^ i have looked for a good zonda cinque livery since f4 ...that is cool as hell. Hard to make that car look cool beyond the stock design .... that is art

Awesome paint H3rtz, shame you won't get the payback you deserve, but at least you'll get the recognition here. I'll probably pick it up as it's not my first choice Zonda.

Also, just like that, my menu music came back :/

saladine1

Yeah, painters definitely deserve the recognition and rewards. It's a hard and monotonous job.
I've tried countless times to come up with a design of sorts and after an hour's work, I've managed to apply a few fucking circles. Fuck that, I'll stick to the manufacturer decals or download a design.

MANGOD

Banned
Why cant I sign into my account on forzamotorsport.net?? I just get forza rewards requires an xbox live account. So the past 5 forza games I have not played then ffs

It there a problem with the site where it won't retrieve your photos? I sign in, go to the Gallery and the red whirlygig just spins. There were som FM5 and FM3 shots in there.

Also, rewards, by 4 million credits seems to be lost in the ether, it's been a week now.

shandy706

Bought 4 more cars in the last few days. Still haven't dipped into the $4 million in credits from T10, lol.

Can't remember what pics I uploaded last night, time to go check.

lil smoke

Banned

I would rather lose the race on the hardest setting, than duke it out in the first lap.

On the hardest setting, it becomes a real race if you don't manage to catch them right away. Or if you slip, you may not get it back.

However, I DO like the damage, the onset of it and the onscreen descriptions depict a 'fuck me' moment pretty good.

edit: This thread is dead. I'm not digging it up anymore. I was under the impression pre-game that the people posting were actually into and were going to buy the game, but it was just talk. Peace.

I would rather lose the race on the hardest setting, than duke it out in the first lap.

Well, most of the time it is only two laps, so you have to duke it out sometime.

That said, against all expectations, I'm not minding the short races at all; the racing is intense and enjoyable. I think if I set the AI to unbeatable I will want longer races— on the level below that I'm ending up with a gold finish, but certainly third more often than first.

I was under the impression pre-game that the people posting were actually into and were going to buy the game, but it was just talk. Peace.

Er, OK.

For those having problems with Forza Rewards, try this probably stupid and temporal solution:

Nope. Clicking 'sign in' does the URL redirect dance and returns to FM.net without any change. If I'm not logged in at XBox.com, I get to type in my username and password before being dumped back to FM.net with the sign in prompt.

Does not work in IE10, Safari 7, Firefox whatever.

Klocker

Well, most of the time it is only two laps, so you have to duke it out sometime.

That said, against all expectations, I'm not minding the short races at all; the racing is intense and enjoyable. I think if I set the AI to unbeatable I will want longer races— on the level below that I'm ending up with a gold finish, but certainly third more often than first.

Er, OK.

Nope. Clicking 'sign in' does the URL redirect dance and returns to FM.net without any change. If I'm not logged in at XBox.com, I get to type in my username and password before being dumped back to FM.net with the sign in prompt.

Does not work in IE10, Safari 7, Firefox whatever.

Had the same issue for a while and when I logged in from my windows phone, it worked

Worth a try from mobile device maybe ?

Snubbers

Can't wait for the update!

Alongside the TX Improvements allegedly in it as well..

thrustmaster said:
Second Forza Motorsport 5 update scheduled for mid-December.
Additional forces optimization and fine-tuning of TX Force Feedback Effects with Forza
Motorsport 5 will be included in Forza Motorsport 5 second update scheduled mid-December –
This will bring great additional enhancement such as improved forces strength, optimizing wheel
& controller profile management, providing user option to set the degrees of rotation.

I managed to set the TX up tonight for a quick 45 mins or so..

Initial impressions are slightly mixed
- The Pedals are as bad as they look.. possibly made much worse by having a set of Fanatec CSPs next to them!
- The wheel has a slightly cheap feel compared to the Fanatec CSR/PWTS, but the base is solid and the FFB/Effects are very strong indeed, to the point I may just prefer that aspect of the TX
- The lack of adjustability is killing me, I found references to button combo's for changing the degrees of rotation which helps, and the next FM update should also help! But I do miss the exact linearity and other on-wheel settings from fanatec.
- Fanatecs ACL (Auto Clutch) is something I also miss.. why T10 don't just kill the whole manual/manual with clutch thing I don't know, it's not like Assetto Corsa where rev matching and the like have a huge impact on the balance of the car, so it could just be done away with, and just let people play with a real clutch if they want, or auto-clutch for the rest of us, otherwise you are just stabbing A with every gear change which requires no skill, just tedium..

So I'd give the wheel 6-7/10.. mainly for the pedals..

I will be endeavouring over the weekend in getting my CSPs working on the Thrustmaster, if I do, then I think I will give the wheel a solid 8..

Not sure how many people own Zonda in game already, but if anyone has one there will be something cool coming this weekend from my paintshop ;)

I have one. Its an awesome drive. Will definitely match it with your paint job Hertz. Thanks!

Edit: Can anyone recommend a nice Nissan Fairlady Z design?

The P1.............................am I wrong for not liking the way that car drives. It just has no soul.

I would completely agree. With the assists off and using the controller it feels really bland. I tried tuning it to perform more in line with my driving habits, but I can't get it to where I would like. I barely try to accelerate before it starts to spin it's tires and attempting to accelerate out of a turn is almost impossible, for me at least, as I lose control and start to spin out. I even use the mid simulation setting for steering, don't remember what its called. Usually works fine for me for every other car I've used. When driving it, I don't get the sense that I'm in a super car. I can't hit top speeds because it starts loosing grip after every gear change. For me, it isn't fun to drive. I wish I would have bought the Zonda instead. Would have given me memories of Grand Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PS2. I'll pick it up at some point I guess.

Can't wait for the update!

Alongside the TX Improvements allegedly in it as well..

I managed to set the TX up tonight for a quick 45 mins or so..

Initial impressions are slightly mixed
- The Pedals are as bad as they look.. possibly made much worse by having a set of Fanatec CSPs next to them!
- The wheel has a slightly cheap feel compared to the Fanatec CSR/PWTS, but the base is solid and the FFB/Effects are very strong indeed, to the point I may just prefer that aspect of the TX
- The lack of adjustability is killing me, I found references to button combo's for changing the degrees of rotation which helps, and the next FM update should also help! But I do miss the exact linearity and other on-wheel settings from fanatec.
- Fanatecs ACL (Auto Clutch) is something I also miss.. why T10 don't just kill the whole manual/manual with clutch thing I don't know, it's not like Assetto Corsa where rev matching and the like have a huge impact on the balance of the car, so it could just be done away with, and just let people play with a real clutch if they want, or auto-clutch for the rest of us, otherwise you are just stabbing A with every gear change which requires no skill, just tedium..

So I'd give the wheel 6-7/10.. mainly for the pedals..

I will be endeavouring over the weekend in getting my CSPs working on the Thrustmaster, if I do, then I think I will give the wheel a solid 8..

Same feelings toward the wheel, can't help but compare to Fanatec gear and for build quality and functionality it's not up there.

I prefer the feedback and speed of the TX but I've not touched Forza 5 yet, how does it stand up to a Fanatec + Forza 4?

Krilekk

Banned
I would completely agree. With the assists off and using the controller it feels really bland. I tried tuning it to perform more in line with my driving habits, but I can't get it to where I would like. I barely try to accelerate before it starts to spin it's tires and attempting to accelerate out of a turn is almost impossible, for me at least, as I lose control and start to spin out. I even use the mid simulation setting for steering, don't remember what its called. Usually works fine for me for every other car I've used. When driving it, I don't get the sense that I'm in a super car. I can't hit top speeds because it starts loosing grip after every gear change. For me, it isn't fun to drive. I wish I would have bought the Zonda instead. Would have given me memories of Grand Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PS2. I'll pick it up at some point I guess.

Agreed, the P1 drives like shit. But the LaFerrari is just as bad IMO.

Snubbers

Same feelings toward the wheel, can't help but compare to Fanatec gear and for build quality and functionality it's not up there.

I prefer the feedback and speed of the TX but I've not touched Forza 5 yet, how does it stand up to a Fanatec + Forza 4?

Just concentrating on the wheel, the feedback is smoother, and there are more effects in general. The only notable missing effect is bouncing off walls, which I think is just a t10 oversight. I'll wait for the update before really checking it out, I didn't check torque steer and other subtle stuff.

I can't wait to get the csps working with it, for £235 it at least only cost the same as my CSR, so it's not bad vfm.

Top Bottom