• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

that doesnt mean it didnt have some good parts as well, the driving sucked, but as mascot said it had awesome night mode

And we're done!

Wow. That's incredibly narrow-minded. Do you really want Turn 10 to exist in a bubble?

Got the game for you

1897548-box_nfsug.png

Seanspeed

Banned
i think we find the harsh realism fun and you dont, i want the game to be as challenging as possible, forza has always been a very easy game, i havent played 5 but from watching videos the unbeatable AI seems like a joke once more
AI? Man, I'm talking about online racing here. I think my career completion in Forza 4 was like 6-7% or something.

I'm all for challenging. But having your race ruined because of damage from something that wasn't your fault at all is not 'challenging'. Not being able to see a car in front of you is not 'challenging'. That's bullshit.

I like fairness and I like my challenge to come from good competition, not wildcard factors thrown into the mix. If I'm racing with a bunch of people who know their stuff, I don't mind turning damage aspects on as much. It can still lead to some unnecessary frustration, but its usually not too bad.

saladine1

AI? Man, I'm talking about online racing here. I think my career completion in Forza 4 was like 6-7% or something.

I'm all for challenging. But having your race ruined because of damage from something that wasn't your fault at all is not 'challenging'. Not being able to see a car in front of you is not 'challenging'. That's bullshit.

I like fairness and I like my challenge to come from good competition, not wildcard factors thrown into the mix. If I'm racing with a bunch of people who know their stuff, I don't mind turning damage aspects on as much. It can still lead to some unnecessary frustration, but its usually not too bad.

Well, that's the beauty of options. Not everyone likes to race at night or in the rain. But there's plenty of people who do. Catering to both worlds is the best thing to do.

HokieJoe

Wasn't it in Shift 2 (on last-gen hardware, no less) where night-time collisions might mean losing one (or both) headlights, vastly reducing visibility and making you bloody careful about any front impacts?

Where your cockpit would dynamically illuminate from the headlights of cars behind you, vastly increasing the tension and the feeling of being hunted down?

Where you could be dazzled in the rear-view mirror, momentarily blinding you?

Where damaged cars in front might have no rear lights at all, making them harder to spot and even harder to tell when they were braking?

I'd say those enhanced the racing quite a bit, and added one fuck of a lot to the competitive aspects in general.

You could damage the headlights of cars in PGR2 as well IIRC.

Xanadu

Banned

i dont like to race online in forza as 90% of people just play bumper cars and none of my friends like racing games. but for me that challenge would be fun, as it would be in real life..scary but exhilarating when near missing

edit : unrelated but awesome video about the impreza 22b here, easily the best impreza ever..i wish one day the forza model will do the car justice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a535xyidmF0#t=0

It's such a shame Dan doesn't agree.

Does he know that even bowling alleys open at night and soccer can be played under floodlights?

I guess we aren't.

Do you enjoy racing on ovals with rolling starts?

:p

Dats harsh, lol!

i dont like to race online in forza as 90% of people just play bumper cars and none of my friends like racing games. but for me that challenge would be fun, as it would be in real life..scary but exhilarating when near missing

edit : unrelated but awesome video about the impreza 22b here, easily the best impreza ever..i wish one day the forza model will do the car justice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a535xyidmF0#t=0

I was playing FM4 the other day and people would use my rear bumper (or side of my car) to slow themselves down, then people would try to boot me afterwards. Bunch of man children.

Unless it's a PC sim, I generally avoid online. Unless it's like a Gaf group or something.

p3tran

Banned
Wow. That's incredibly narrow-minded. Do you really want Turn 10 to exist in a bubble?

I will have lost turn10 IF they ever start to follow tactics that focus on the gravy rather than the meat.
and this is a textbook example of delicious gravy on a plate of shit.

plus
i think they are doing fine, and they have been doing fine since forza 1.

now, in other news, more important for me for sure, ITS DELIVERED!!

iSoQYyCqihyUg.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
I will have lost turn10 IF they ever start to follow tactics that focus on the gravy rather than the meat.

plus

iSoQYyCqihyUg.jpg

do you think its sad that some features from forza 1 still havent returned to the series? i do

and congrats

p3tran

Banned
do you think its sad that some features from forza 1 still havent returned to the series? i do

and congrats

well, in contrast to forza 2/3/4, forza 1 was on a platform that DID take a HDD drive for granted.
no reason for them to keep EVERYTHING in memory and running from a stupid dvd, like in 360.

some things were missing in 360 forza (a shitload of things were added though), some things i expect back, with enhancements...

and thanks

Seanspeed

Banned
That's a complete exaggeration.

Yes, there's a small amount of people that like to crash into others.

And there's a more substantial number of people who simply aren't very good and who either don't understand good racing etiquette or who have good intentions but simply don't have the level of car control, track knowledge and experience needed to race cleanly.

But overall, its where the real competition is. If you're good enough, you will spend most of your time racing near the front and away from these other types and its where I find the real meat and potatos of any racing sim lies.

Dats harsh, lol!
Is it? I don't even know what you meant by that Mascot.

@Petran - nice man. Very nice.

plus

iSoQYyCqihyUg.jpg

You mean sort of how it is with FM5? Not much meat on that plate. Lol.

Also, great purchase. Is this your first wheel?

Is it? I don't even know what you meant by that Mascot.

@Petran - nice man. Very nice.

He was asking if you liked oval racing, like NASCAR.

banjoted

Please don't bring up the Shit Shift series the handling was criminally bad, and the racing effects were way overdone.

Don't agree with this at all. Shift 2 is one of the most under-rated racers. With the right settings it was an absolute joy. Brutal, but quite special.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, what's the advantage?

The chase car reduces drag on the lead car thus allowing the lead car to achieve speeds higher than normal.

If T10 didn't invalidate laps for people doing it, you can be sure as hell people would exploit it.

Seanspeed

Banned
If T10 didn't invalidate laps for people doing it, you can be sure as hell people would exploit it.
So what? What does it affect you? The only people that it really affects are the very tip-top guys who are oh so worried about their leaderboard position. That people even coordinate efforts to cheat for their leaderboard status is kinda sad more than anything. I truly don't think it warrants changing the entire system that ruins things for the rest of us.

He was asking if you liked oval racing, like NASCAR.
So how is that harsh? I don't get it.

Fuck yeah!

Shift 2. Bathurst. Night. Game over.

Too bad the physic in that game is all kind of fuck up. That said, when GRID has that night racing (yes I know Grid, but hey, I don't discriminate when it come to driving games), I thought it was exciting for like five min, then after that I just dreaded any night racing. I am somewhat with Seanspeed, it's like exciting may be once or twice then novelty worn off and I just want to drive cars on the track and not try to discern the pixel of what up ahead.

I have to say though, one thing they got right for FM5 (after playing FM4 again, and GT5 and the GT6) is the cockpit view and sound. Playing GT6, the sound just almost kill half the fun for me especially after experience FM5 engine sound. FM5 is the first racing games I don't mind racing in cockpit view.

So how is that harsh? I don't get it.

Many would argue that NASCAR, or even oval racing as a whole, is racing in it's most primitive form. While something like GT, LMP, F1 and WRC are all highly advanced forms of racing. You guys were arguing how "fun" night racing and the pros and cons that comes with the territory. You said it didn't sound fun, and he basically called you a "plain Jane".

TaKeRx

Guys,

Do you know when the patch is to be live? I stopped playing completely waiting for this as sad as it sounds lol.

Also for the TX 458 wheel.. Can we buy the shifter addon right now or is that something that's coming out later? I know on the website it states that the TH8A shifter is compatible but I'm only able to find the TH8RS.

They aren't the same ones correct?

Mascot

Many would argue that NASCAR, or even oval racing as a whole, is racing in it's most primitive form. While something like GT, LMP, F1 and WRC are all highly advanced forms of racing. You guys were arguing how "fun" night racing and the pros and cons that comes with the territory. You said it didn't sound fun, and he basically called you a "plain Jane".
Wow. Awesome projecting.
Can you also time travel, read minds and teleport too?

saladine1

Too bad the physic in that game is all kind of fuck up. That said, when GRID has that night racing (yes I know Grid, but hey, I don't discriminate when it come to driving games), I thought it was exciting for like five min, then after that I just dreaded any night racing. I am somewhat with Seanspeed, it's like exciting may be once or twice then novelty worn off and I just want to drive cars on the track and not try to discern the pixel of what up ahead.

I have to say though, one thing they got right for FM5 (after playing FM4 again, and GT5 and the GT6) is the cockpit view and sound. Playing GT6, the sound just almost kill half the fun for me especially after experience FM5 engine sound. FM5 is the first racing games I don't mind racing in cockpit view.

No doubt that the handling was questionable to say the least especially in the higher class cars. But, the lower class vehicles were quite drivable and after some in game and steering wheel tweaks, I absolutely loved SHIFT 2. The overall atmosphere felt authentic. The 'racey' sounds and the 'works' upgrades. The adrenaline rush from challenging AI. Night racing. Tracks galore,past and present...etc made for a great game even with it's flaws.
I'm hoping CARS will deliver that same feeling once again..

Xanadu

Banned
That's a complete exaggeration.

Yes, there's a small amount of people that like to crash into others.

And there's a more substantial number of people who simply aren't very good and who either don't understand good racing etiquette or who have good intentions but simply don't have the level of car control, track knowledge and experience needed to race cleanly.

But overall, its where the real competition is. If you're good enough, you will spend most of your time racing near the front and away from these other types and its where I find the real meat and potatos of any racing sim lies.

its hard getting to the front when as soon as you pass someone they pit maneuver you, and i guess i'm unlucky because that was most of my experience with forza 4 online, the weird thing is though forza 2 online seemed to have a lot less idiots, i found quite a few races where everyone raced like real drivers, they were usually french too

p3tran

Banned
You mean sort of how it is with FM5? Not much meat on that plate. Lol.

Also, great purchase. Is this your first wheel?

1) LOTS of premium meat on that plate, but always appetite for more.
example, forza 4 has more content, but you will have to pay me to spend my racing time there now, instead of forza 5. the same for the other game.

2) my first on xbone. on 360 i still have 2x microsoft wheels, 1x stupid wheel (will probably set them on fire and film it lol) i sold my fanatec, and I bought recently a dfgt for gt6.
hopefully this wheel will play good on assetto corsa too, and MAYBE, just MAYBE I will get to use it at some point on my ps4 too (but for now, this no major concern, because no games)

Question; Can you still do the triple screen FOV trick? You know, tell Forza you have triples, even though you don't, to get the FOV slider.

Haven't found the answer to that but as triple screen support seems to have been removed I believe we have lost the Fov setting which sucks.

Default fov is too wide for my liking and the wheel/dash eats into valuable screen space. Hopefully it'll get patched back in.

RdN

This title update is taking way too long to drop. I've also stopped playing until I can be properly rewarded for my efforts.. Microsoft needs to speed up the approval process.. They don't even have that many games right now.

example, forza 4 has more content, but you will have to pay me to spend my racing time there now, instead of forza 5. the same for the other game.

2) my first on xbone. on 360 i still have 2x microsoft wheels, 1x stupid wheel (will probably set them on fire and film it lol) i sold my fanatec, and I bought recently a dfgt for gt6.
hopefully this wheel will play good on assetto corsa too, and MAYBE, just MAYBE I will get to use it at some point on my ps4 too (but for now, this no major concern, because no games)

Works well on PC, no issues whatsoever so far.

Seanspeed

Banned
Many people would be ignorant, then. That's cool. I'd love to hear you try and tell this to all the high level players in iRacing or something.

I went through my early 'NASCAR sux' phase but I've largely outgrown that. Once you know a bit more about oval racing and stop oversimplifying things in order to bash it, you'll realize its a perfectly valid form of motorsport. I think a lot of proper motorsport fans reach that conclusion at some point while others remain in their close-minded, ignorant bubble, which is where you seem to be in still.

If you don't give a shit about leaderboard times, you shouldn't be giving shits about invalidated laps... Outside of leaderboards, they mean absolutely nothing...
I never said I didn't care about leaderboard times. I like to see where I rank among the general population. Its the people at the very top(I'm talking top 25-50) who are affected by this kind of thing. Not me. Being bumped from 755th to 756th because somebody cheated doesn't bother me. I'm not particularly sentimental about my 755th place. I just like to have a rough idea of where I'm at compared to others. Its those at the very top who start getting worried about specific placings.

And this is where the cheating takes place anyways. Nobody is going to go through all the trouble of coordinating with others in order to gain a couple tenths and go from 1,450th to 1,385th.

I see the reward for my efforts in FM5 being how much fun driving and racing is.

Games that have to give me trinkets so I can enjoy them are games I stop playing.

FM5 to me is like a fillet mignon. Small but delicious. Objectively speaking, FM5 doesn't have a lot of meat. Physics and AI seem to be the only meat it really has. It's extremely low on content and it has a lot of gravy like the graphics and sound.

Anyway. Big upgrade for you in terms of wheels. Hope it's an amazing upgrade. MS wheels and DFGT are all small time wheels lol. I can't imagine how good it'll be to race in that game.

Many people would be ignorant, then. That's cool. I'd love to hear you try and tell this to all the high level players in iRacing or something.

I went through my early 'NASCAR sux' phase but I've largely outgrown that. Once you know a bit more about oval racing and stop oversimplifying things in order to bash it, you'll realize its a perfectly valid form of motorsport. I think a lot of proper motorsport fans reach that conclusion at some point while others remain in their close-minded, ignorant bubble, which is where you seem to be in still.

Eh, I still think NASCAR sucks. Don't find it impressive. And I live 5 minutes from one of the most known Oval tracks (Indy Motor Speedway), but I've always been an Indy Racecar fanboy. So I have my biases. Is it mostly oval racing? Yeah, but it certainly takes a lot more skill, IMO, than NASCAR. I've been to a single NASCAR race (96 Brickyard 400), and I didn't enjoy it. The atmosphere sucked, the race was boring to watch. I never liked it, and I almost never will.

Haven't found the answer to that but as triple screen support seems to have been removed I believe we have lost the Fov setting which sucks.

Default fov is too wide for my liking and the wheel/dash eats into valuable screen space. Hopefully it'll get patched back in.

Oh... OH. I didn't know that had been removed... I was expecting a "yeah dude, of course" response. Well alrighty. Looks like I'll be going back to the future with the hood view. No can do the default jump to lightspeed fov.

T10, please patch it in. Pretty please. A virtual rearview toggle to go along with it, as long as I'm already down on my knees.

saladine1

FM5 to me is like a fillet mignon. Small but delicious. Objectively speaking, FM5 doesn't have a lot of meat. Physics and AI seem to be the only meat it really has. It's extremely low on content and it has a lot of gravy like the graphics and sound.

lol, nice description there.

Also, I like to watch and take part in all forms of motorsport even though I might suck at it. But damn, I just can't get into Oval Racing. It's boring to watch and puts me to sleep when racing in the game. I do appreciate and respect the people who do enjoy it though.

Also, I like to watch and take part in all forms of motorsport even though I might suck at it. But damn, I just can't get into Oval Racing. It's boring to watch and puts me to sleep when racing in the game. I so appreciate and respect the people who do enjoy it though.

I like my steak. =P

Medium-Rare to Medium is where it's at.

And yeah, like I said, I have my biases against NASCAR. Because Indy is also oval (usually) but it's a lot more exciting to me... not to mention the race is typically 2-3 hours as opposed to an all day snore fest.

p3tran

Banned
-
Anyway. Big upgrade for you in terms of wheels. Hope it's an amazing upgrade. MS wheels and DFGT are all small time wheels lol. I can't imagine how good it'll be to race in that game.
well, I dont see many people complaining about their well cooked fillet mignon where I eat :)
but even like this, let me tell you that the forzas that I spend the most time was 1 and 2.
everytime forza jumps in a new platform , that seems to be the time i play it more.
3 and 4, they all added things, but the big thing for me was 720p/60 and the physics.
and I still got the same kind of upgrade here: 1080p/60 and the physics :)
I still have clocked stupendous amount of hours in all of them though..

About wheel, I will see how it stack against my (sold) fanatec. that one, you cant say it was bad.
ms wheels and dfgt, yeah :)

well, I dont see many people complaining about their well cooked fillet mignon where I eat :)
but even like this, let me tell you that the forzas that I spend the most time was 1 and 2.
everytime forza jumps in a new platform , that seems to be the time i play it more.
3 and 4, they all added things, but the big thing for me was 720p/60 and the physics.
and I still got the same kind of upgrade here: 1080p/60 and the physics :)
I still have clocked stupendous amount of hours in all of them though..

About wheel, I will see how it stack against my (sold) fanatec. that one, you cant say it was bad.
ms wheels and dfgt, yeah :)

Like I said, it's small but delicious. Oh, I missed how you said you had a fanatic. CSR? Great wheel. If you get the clubsports too... mmm, so good. One of the best, IMO. I like them better than my T500RS's pedals. I modded mine though to give some better feedback on the brakes.

Also, I like to watch and take part in all forms of motorsport even though I might suck at it. But damn, I just can't get into Oval Racing. It's boring to watch and puts me to sleep when racing in the game. I do appreciate and respect the people who do enjoy it though.

The problem with oval racing in these games is the devs don't understand oval racing either, and/or have just gone for the biggest names they can (Indy! Daytona!). Oval racing is really good fun, but it needs to be done on a track that demanding of the driver. Especially in lieu of the small car counts. It's the game that's making it not fun. When it's done right (iRacing, NR2003), it's pretty incredible, and nothing like what FM/GT offers up.

That's not to say Indy isn't demanding, it certainly is. Just not with these physics.

It's a shame that oval racing is portrayed in such a goofy manner, and I'm not even much of an oval racer.

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh, I still think NASCAR sucks. Don't find it impressive. And I live 5 minutes from one of the most known Oval tracks (Indy Motor Speedway), but I've always been an Indy Racecar fanboy. So I have my biases. Is it mostly oval racing? Yeah, but it certainly takes a lot more skill, IMO, than NASCAR. I've been to a single NASCAR race (96 Brickyard 400), and I didn't enjoy it. The atmosphere sucked, the race was boring to watch. I never liked it, and I almost never will.
I'd explain how you're wrong about the skill factor(and you *are* wrong), but seriously, its getting off-topic. Point is - I respect oval racing, even if its not my cup of tea. Trying to insinuate that I'm an oval racing fan is not an insult to me.

p3tran

Banned
oval racing? now, where is that oval racing dude tester/dev, that got me thinking at first that he was cheating on assetto corsa, because he was TOO fast? :D
and not in oval course of course, but normal..

respect the racers dudes, no matter what they race. they all have their foundations set straight imo 8)

DirtyLarry

I am still very early on in the game (only got gold on the first 12 events on the very first season and 4 additional events in the second season, just went in order), and admittedly I am not a true veteran of the series. I played the earlier games in the series but never beat a single one, and I did play them all before I had an appreciation for sim type racers (I really got into the genre thanks to Gran Turismo 4).

With that said, I am wondering the following...

I see each car has a class assigned to it, unless they just do not have any restrictions earlier on, I see nowhere where it indicates exactly which class is needed for an event? I want to go ahead and play around with upgrading a car, but it only has 3 points left until it is considered a higher class, so I am wondering how do I know what events that car is eligible for if it is in fact a higher class? In keeping with that, do the events indicate which car class is needed, and I am just not seeing it? Or perhaps not seeing it yet because it is so early on?

Also in regards to the first DLC, how much mileage would I get out of the 10 cars being offered? Although I am not a fan of the DLC in theory and I know very well about the uproar it has caused, .50 cents a car does not seem too crazy to me so I am considering purchasing it. However if I cannot practically use any of the cars I will not bother. If the variety of cars will get me through a decent amount of different events, I will pick it up. So anyone pick it up and cay say if it is practical purchase for getting through the game? Or is it meant to just use each car through free ride or whatever it is? I want the DLC to serve an in game purpose other than just checking the cars out.

So that is all I really have right now. I am sure the more I play and the more I get into it all, I will have more questions, as my knowledge of the Forza series itself is not all that much, but I am loving it so far. In fact it is the only game I really care to play right now, and I have 6 other options (own both a One & PS4).

TIA to anyone that can answer.
DL

Mascot

No doubt that the handling was questionable to say the least especially in the higher class cars. But, the lower class vehicles were quite drivable and after some in game and steering wheel tweaks, I absolutely loved SHIFT 2. The overall atmosphere felt authentic. The 'racey' sounds and the 'works' upgrades. The adrenaline rush from challenging AI. Night racing. Tracks galore,past and present...etc made for a great game even with it's flaws.
I'm hoping CARS will deliver that same feeling once again..

This post made me load up Shift 2 on my 360 for the first time in ages. Once I'd remembered that my wheel settings for this game were saved to S-3 on the Fanatec it was awesome. Controls and handling (tweaked over time) felt perfect. Been racing the R8 LMS at Donnington and Willow Springs and had more adrenaline-fuelled thrills in the past couple of hours than in a month of Sundays in FM4, and I'm sitting here sweating like a sex pest. I really wish Forza would capture some of this intangible... Fuck, I don't even have a word for it. It goes beyond atmosphere, beyond feeling. You experience this game through your thumping chest, through the tension in your shoulders, in your dry eyes from forgetting to blink, in the ache in your hands from fighting the wheel.

Shift 2 is a long way from perfect and Forza undoubtedly presents a much more complete overall package, but for pure unadulterated racing thrills you simply cannot beat it on consoles when everything is set up and dialled in correctly.

Its such a shame that the game needs tweaking so much before it finds its groove because a lot of racing game fans have let preconceptions cloud their judgement and have missed out on a fantastic experience here.

Apologies for the derail, but if just one player gives it another look then this post has been worth it.

p3tran

Banned
ok, what settings do you guys use on the wheel in f5?
first thing (and only yet) I did was to go to the settings and ..lessen feedback and force by a 35%.
the wheel pulls too much. so much its not realistic or enjoyable :D
but it does seem to have strong motors :D

Top Bottom