• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Lima

So to race in the Modern Hyper Car series, I'm required to purchase a car totaling over a million credits. I'll earn a tenth of that back from racing in the series. What is it I'm missing? I won't be able to afford cars needed for future events after this.

Honestly just wait until the update hits that changes credit payouts later this month.

So to race in the Modern Hyper Car series, I'm required to purchase a car totaling over a million credits. I'll earn a tenth of that back from racing in the series. What is it I'm missing? I won't be able to afford cars needed for future events after this.

Well if you went through the series left to right from the top, you should have enough. I know it's not as easy to jump around but it's been fine for me doing it this way.

I don't think virtually every class being able to drive most of the tracks at WoT is variety.

Prague had hope being a street circuit but IMO is a failure. Little more than a showcase of their 8 year old graphics engine :(

Could you post which classes can be driven WOT on what courses? Outside of the oval at Indy I haven't found any courses that can be driven WOT without crashing. Additionally, I'm not sure about this 8 year old engine as you put it, but however old it is it blows any other console racer out of the water in regards to graphics.

p3tran

Banned
Could you post which classes can be driven WOT on what courses? Outside of the oval at Indy I haven't found any courses that can be driven WOT without crashing. Additionally, I'm not sure about this 8 year old engine as you put it, but however old it is it blows any other console racer out of the water in regards to graphics.

hehe, maybe he tunes his cars REALLY bad, so wide open throttle means not as much :D
SatansReverence, feel free to try going wot with one of my cars. if you manage it, I guess you will also have managed first place in every leaderbord you participate :D

and about engine, yeah, ok. it is safe to say that forza 5 engine, is a good fucking engine.
for me, maybe/probably the best right now..

SparksBCN

Neo Member
No, they claim it every time yet every single game has most of the same graphical problems as the previous one.
Yeah. The game engine itself it's new, I'm pretty sure of that, but it's the same old graphics engine, you can see the same problems present since the first game, and the same solutions used to accomplish certain effects.

Anyway, the game looks astonishingly good, and I drool thinking of what they could do with a new engine and proper optimization.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Have you seen this Interview? Dan talking about the Nürb.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/13/forza-5-developer-not-going-to-port-over-garbage-for-next-gen

“Some things were actually in a bad state,” Greenawalt explained. “Our Nürburgring was wildly inaccurate, embarrassingly so. And so that one absolutely had to be thrown out. But the Nürburgring is of course a very important track. So for a track like that to come back, it has to be done right. We’re not going to bring over last-gen stuff, that’s just not good enough for our fans. I believe I owe it to them to give them a next-gen experience.”

Pretty sure that's the first time anyone from Turn 10 has ever publicly stated that their rendition of the 'Ring was lacking, to say the least.

With any luck that EVO advertising feature was right and the 'Ring will return next month, perhaps finally in a recognizable state. Then again, some details seem to have changed between the time it was written and the release of the game, (24-player grids in multiplayer, for one), so maybe it's best to not treat it as fact.

I read somewhere on GT Planet there's badge that mentions 24 players.
BZ8hSboIMAEr3EF.jpg:large

Mapped the dial to the ignition in a couple of PC sims, simple things and all that. C'mon let me do this shit in Forza.
http://youtu.be/lZXcvTLcSJs

JDizzv

So.. after picking up an X1 for my first next gen console, I decided to dive into the Forza franchise for the first time (other than a brief run with Horizon).

The game is AMAZING. However I am a bit confused and overwhelmed by all the options available and wondering if any of you seasoned vets can offer some suggestions to a novice.

My biggest question is, what's the best way to enjoy the career mode? I know some might think that's a stupid question but as someone new to the driving sim genre or cars in general, I'm wondering how most people typically go about progressing. I'm not looking for any specific car recommendations or techniques, but I do see there's a class system with different classes and cars that fall into each, however, I also see that you can really upgrade any car to be in any class. So if I'm looking to win races, is it generally smart to upgrade say, my Lancer to race in the A class race so I don't have to buy a new car, or should I keep any car I have within its class and save up?

Also, in regards to upgrades. Is auto-upgrading really the optimal choice? Or are there any benefits to be seen by taking the time to upgrade parts yourself?

p3tran

Banned
So.. after picking up an X1 for my first next gen console, I decided to dive into the Forza franchise for the first time (other than a brief run with Horizon).

The game is AMAZING. However I am a bit confused and overwhelmed by all the options available and wondering if any of you seasoned vets can offer some suggestions to a novice.

My biggest question is, what's the best way to enjoy the career mode? I know some might think that's a stupid question but as someone new to the driving sim genre or cars in general, I'm wondering how most people typically go about progressing. I'm not looking for any specific car recommendations or techniques, but I do see there's a class system with different classes and cars that fall into each, however, I also see that you can really upgrade any car to be in any class. So if I'm looking to win races, is it generally smart to upgrade say, my Lancer to race in the A class race so I don't have to buy a new car, or should I keep any car I have within its class and save up?

Also, in regards to upgrades. Is auto-upgrading really the optimal choice? Or are there any benefits to be seen by taking the time to upgrade parts yourself?
ok, tips.

first of all, do what you like. whatever grabs your attention, do it. worst thing that can happen is that you could do it easier, but later.

second. be prepared, or get prepared. basically, you will need two cars per category, or one car with two setups if you are tight with money, or really like a specific car.
one setup for the smaller, curvier tracks, and another for the faster ones.
trying to create a single car setup that wins everything, is a task you can always put yourself to, after you become experienced with the game.
also, if you get a D class car and pump it up to A class, i can bet that 9 out of 10 times, it wont be for its handling. so balance there too ;)

you keep this in focus, and try to work yourself around the game, trying tuning solutions based on the above logic. and nope, automatic tuning is not optimal. it will help you if you never want to bother with this aspect though.
normally I could suggest you a couple of people's storefronts, to get suited up on your cars, but forza is not quite there yet on that subject, so your best bet is to locate good tunes through the dedicated forums. they will help you more than you know.
or, you can get an idea about "winning cars" by browsing the leaderboards, and just buy a car that you see in top100-top200 and you like, so that you know it definitely has the potential and experiment tuning yourself. the top100 leaderboard times, they all smoke even the most difficult AI for fun.
as you get more experienced, you will see that practically every car can be a career winner, and even be respectable on the leaderboards too.

a good tip to get you started on tuning: after you locate a -lets say- top 50 tune, buy a brand new OEM car to install it on.
then, when you go to tune menu, the game will say that in order to proceed, the other person's tune must be removed. so proceed, and while the car becomes stock again, all the parts the tuner used remain "bought". of course you dont get a way to have the tuning settings too, but having a top tune "reverse engineered" at least in parts, is a very good way to start get to grips with stuff. you can always reload the tune, and have it properly with the parts+tune settings again.
oh, and starting on lower classes kind of helps things remain simpler.

anything else you want, ask away

Auto-upgrade isn't optimal.

Most tracks don't have long enough sections to take advantage of all the power you might add. Add lightness first (platform & handling: weight reduction). Lighter cars handle and accelerate better. I then add race suspension, brakes, and a roll cage. The anti-roll bars aren't usually needed.

Once a car has been lightened all the way and racing slicks added, I generally don't take it outside of the class it now sits in unless it's woefully underpowered.

Most tracks don't have long enough sections to take advantage of all the power you might add. Add lightness first (platform & handling: weight reduction). Lighter cars handle and accelerate better. I then add race suspension, brakes, and a roll cage. The anti-roll bars aren't usually needed.

Once a car has been lightened all the way and racing slicks added, I generally don't take it outside of the class it now sits in unless it's woefully underpowered.

This.

Acceleration is more valuable then overall speed. And always upgrade your brakes first when the option is available.

Raven77

Does this game really look significantly better that Forza 4? I have an X1 but am debating picking this up. I'm a bit of a graphics whore and want it to really wow me.

mrJared

Banned
Does this game really look significantly better that Forza 4? I have an X1 but am debating picking this up. I'm a bit of a graphics whore and want it to really wow me.

If you played 4, this probably won't WOW you, unless you spent 100% of your time in autovista, which Forza 4 had anyway.

...so yeah, it won't wow you.

jond76

Banned
Hey all, just wanted to pass on that I was finally able to log on to forzamotorsport.net and claim some rewards. I some others had some log in issues, give it a whirl now!

lol, true.

also, strongly disagree about the alps and prague. very fun tracks IMO, even if they don't "feel" like a real race track. i love the variety they bring. wish forza 5 had more of them.

I havent race prague yet but Bernese Alps are amazing, I love that track, in fact I love most of Forza fantasy tracks, they need to bring them back, it was a horrible mistake leaving them out.

JDizzv

ok, tips.

first of all, do what you like. whatever grabs your attention, do it. worst thing that can happen is that you could do it easier, but later.

second. be prepared, or get prepared. basically, you will need two cars per category, or one car with two setups if you are tight with money, or really like a specific car.
one setup for the smaller, curvier tracks, and another for the faster ones.
trying to create a single car setup that wins everything, is a task you can always put yourself to, after you become experienced with the game.
also, if you get a D class car and pump it up to A class, i can bet that 9 out of 10 times, it wont be for its handling. so balance there too ;)

you keep this in focus, and try to work yourself around the game, trying tuning solutions based on the above logic. and nope, automatic tuning is not optimal. it will help you if you never want to bother with this aspect though.
normally I could suggest you a couple of people's storefronts, to get suited up on your cars, but forza is not quite there yet on that subject, so your best bet is to locate good tunes through the dedicated forums. they will help you more than you know.
or, you can get an idea about "winning cars" by browsing the leaderboards, and just buy a car that you see in top100-top200 and you like, so that you know it definitely has the potential and experiment tuning yourself. the top100 leaderboard times, they all smoke even the most difficult AI for fun.
as you get more experienced, you will see that practically every car can be a career winner, and even be respectable on the leaderboards too.

a good tip to get you started on tuning: after you locate a -lets say- top 50 tune, buy a brand new OEM car to install it on.
then, when you go to tune menu, the game will say that in order to proceed, the other person's tune must be removed. so proceed, and while the car becomes stock again, all the parts the tuner used remain "bought". of course you dont get a way to have the tuning settings too, but having a top tune "reverse engineered" at least in parts, is a very good way to start get to grips with stuff. you can always reload the tune, and have it properly with the parts+tune settings again.
oh, and starting on lower classes kind of helps things remain simpler.

anything else you want, ask away

Wow, I just want to say thanks a ton for your advice and that of others. I already can't wait to fire the game up when I get home!

Regarding your "one car tuned for curvy tracks, one car tuned for fast tracks" suggestion: what kind of tuning should I be aiming for for each of those tracks types?

Also by your post it seems you're saying that we're able to purchase a top 100-200 leaderboard person's car, tunes and all? Wow, I literally I had no idea that was even a feature in Forza period.

saladine1

Cockpit view is much better in 5.

Yeah, cockpit view is great. The windshield and muffled sounds are spot on. With the right amount of movement and the better animations it really is much better than ever before.

Man, the Lancia S4 is a nutcase car. It sounds amazing with it's twin charged motor. Hearing the supercharger and turbo spool at the same time is quite a thrill.
You can clearly tell it was made for rallying with it's 'rallyesque' handling traits..
Oh, and the factory setup is pretty much spot on..

However, I suggest that for track racing, change the setup to a more conventional one.

Another thing. In FM4, I found that the the tyres usually benefited from around 4-5 degree difference in temps between outer and inner tread. In FM5, I'm finding that maybe 1-3 degree difference is more than optimal in most cases. Tweaking tyre pressure,camber and perhaps a little sway bar goes along way for that optimal grip we strive for.

Done and up for everyone, I hope you guys like it. Enjoy it and get some races going with it so I can make some money :D

#1 RedBull Racing Pagani Zonda Cinque

11380233663_362fef683b_c.jpg

11380156034_b08e493d2f_c.jpg

11380107995_e9d1875cd9_c.jpg

11380232793_189ee9c2f8_c.jpg

11380155254_4812bed497_c.jpg

p3tran

Banned
Wow, I just want to say thanks a ton for your advice and that of others. I already can't wait to fire the game up when I get home!

Regarding your "one car tuned for curvy tracks, one car tuned for fast tracks" suggestion: what kind of tuning should I be aiming for for each of those tracks types?

Also by your post it seems you're saying that we're able to purchase a top 100-200 leaderboard person's car, tunes and all? Wow, I literally I had no idea that was even a feature in Forza period.
for curvy tracks, what crudediatribe wrote above is solid advice. for faster tracks, you will have to trade some of those handling mods for speed mods.
also, for smaller classes you simply cant go all out either on handling mods, or on power mods. you will have to balance it.

for your tuning and testing options, the best thing is go through the tune menu, apply the hardware mods, then press the button to start dialing-in tuning settings. from that same menu, you will press (Y) to test drive the car you are tuning, choose a track, and the game takes you there, BUT with the tuning menu available. so ANYTIME you are testing your tune, you can jump into tuning settings menu and do corrections while racing at the track.
be sure to use this feature as you get to immediately tune&test, which helps.

also, pressing the d-pad up while racing, it brings up the real time telemetry data, and you can check some variables on the fly as you get into turns etc, which will further help you fine tuning.

and yes, the forza community features, and the forza community itself, is the best thing that ever happened in a racing game in my opinion.
this is the "crown jewel" of forza, and it aint prague or spa or whatever, and turn10 better make god-damn sure that they do EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING they can to facilitate the community and keep it healthy and happy!

there are teams of people that spend their time in creating fantastic tunes and fantastic paintjobs or even stickers, and yes, they do it all so that other people can use them and have fun.
these features on forza 5, you will have to wait a little bit until they get fully grown again, but yes, the basic idea is that you can get the tunes that are used by the top leaderboard places, as long as the tuner that did it has it up for sale.
same with paintjobs. I mean look above at what h3rtz did. he could keep this freakin fantastic design to himself, so everybody feels so fuckin jealous when they see him with this car online, OR, he could present it and put it up to be used by the forza community (which is what he does)

h3rtz, i thought i was buying the veyron for my next exotic, but it looks like I'm getting a zonda before it :) car looks fantastic! well done once again 8)

p3tran

Banned
How? (Seriously).

there is a basic screen calibration tool in the xbone settings. follow the advice there, and if you see that you had to change enough stuff on your tv settings while doing that, chances are you will get a better picture quality after completing it.

saladine1

How? (Seriously).
What TV do you have?

Time to list some of my positives:

The visuals
The sounds
The physics
Menu music
Drivatars(mostly lol)
The atmosphere(crowds,helicopters,balloons,birds..etc)
Pre/post race activity
Top Gear intros
Stella's vehicle/manufacturer bio's
Forza Vista
Mount Panorama/Spa/Yas/Prague
Custom paint
Painting stock wheels
Windscreen effects
Differential upgrade not affecting weight lol
Extra gear for 'Sport' trans upgrades(vehicle dependent)
Much better 'Forza Aero'
Simulated 'shaker'
Curb/surface interaction
Better damage
Vehicle 'imperfections' and post race 'splatter' on cars
Slower accumulation of cars/money

saladine1

Didn't expect to see that one in there.

FV comes at a price. I'm guessing you'd swap the whole concept for a couple of extra tracks at launch?

Well put it this way. I use FV for every new car I attain. I listen to Stella, then I go over the whole car. After that however, I don't go back to Vista for the same vehicle.
I really do enjoy the experience but it isn't deep or replay worthy, really.

So yeah, if Turn 10 can't find a way for even more expansion/interaction with Vista, and if it really does get in the way of other features/content being implemented because of it, then yeah, I'd be in favor of scrapping it for the good of the game if that's what it takes.

saladine1

the forza vista voiceovers are lame, they just talk about the manufacturers history and not the car you've got

Not all cases. There's plenty of times where Stella actually talks about the specific car and not the manufacturer.
But I agree that in future, perhaps there should be separate bios for manufacturer and vehicles..

Apart from the economy changes and some wheel improvements do we know if anything else is to be added in next weeks update?

Drag racing and TAG?
Wouldn't mind some actual fixes for various issues though...

Ambient80

Not all cases. There's plenty of times where Stella actually talks about the specific car and not the manufacturer.
But I agree that in future, perhaps there should be separate bios for manufacturer and vehicles..

Drag racing and TAG?
Wouldn't mind some actual fixes for various issues though...

wouldn't mind their site getting fixed, either.

saladine1

Oh yeah!

I'd forgotten about them. Haven't spent any time outside the event list with drag but if T10 are going to to the effort of bringing it back, do you reckon they are going to improve it?

I remember earlier in the year someone asking Dan The Man if drag racing was making a comeback and whether it was the same as FM4....a resounding yes, to both was the answer.

As much as I would love to see a proper drag racing mode implemented, it doesn't look like it's going to happen...

Hope they Can improve the loading times, or give the option the quit a race in carrer before having to load the race.
Yeah, that would be great lol.
Also:
Sound glitches
Tuning before a race
Names over cars are appearing when coming out from photo-mode
A separate 'buy car' menu not in Vista for quicker access

HokieJoe

Good points all around. Also: lighter car = better braking

HokieJoe

I havent race prague yet but Bernese Alps are amazing, I love that track, in fact I love most of Forza fantasy tracks, they need to bring them back, it was a horrible mistake leaving them out.

I find myself missing Blue Mountain Raceway quite a bit. Twisty, curvy, bumpy, nasty, but fun.

Top Bottom